Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Greek Titans as Dawn Titans
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lookatroopa
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2019 :  14:33:54  Show Profile Send lookatroopa a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In writing a Planescape/Forgotten Realms adventure concerning Beshaba, and by extension Tyche, I've arrived at the topic of Oceanus and Tethys, Tyche's parents. Because I want to fit this adventure in the 5e continuity where Dawn Titans play a part, I was wondering whether there's any official material out there elaborating on whether the Greek Titans are part of that group. If they are, what implications does that hold for Tyche, Tymora, and Beshaba? Are they primordials worshipped as deities, Estelar somehow of primordial descent, or something entirely different?

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2019 :  15:09:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good question, and since many "gods" of mythology are the children of "primordials"/"titans", I'd say she's a child of a dawn titan OR the child of a child of dawn titan, etc... now whether said being had any involvement with Toril... that's a question for another day.

This was one of the things I found interesting with Sword and Sorcery's Scarred Lands campaign, in which the titans were all bound by the gods but still an imminent threat. In that resource though, it was very cut and dried as to what was a primordial and what a god, and all gods were born of primordials. Just exactly what makes a person a "god" as opposed to an archfey, primal spirit, primordial, power of shadow, demon or devil lord, etc... is one that's been hotly debated ever since they introduced the concept. Many of us believe the concept is very hard to separate the two. There's also these various concepts of avatars that are mortals possessed by the spirit of gods (which I call "weakened avatars"), manifestations which are the gods in prime-bound forms, avatars which are constructs of divine power which can be created to perform a task and then be reabsorbed by a deity, incarnations which are humans born and then "introduced to carry a portion of the power of a god to which they are related by blood", Chosen which carry a portion of a gods power but might not bear a blood relation to a god, and then the outer planar forms of the gods.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 17 Jan 2019 15:10:51
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2019 :  22:27:31  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Planescape lore detailed many Titans but left most them as godlike templates the DM needed to finish. It also used the generic D&D pastiche pantheon of Olympians.

If you're going for canonical accuracy then any homebrewed unique Planescape titan (effectively a demipower) could fit the role well enough. There's no official Planescape (2E) material. I don't know if there's any official 5E material.

If you're going for historical accuracy then you'll have to break the D&D Olympians, shuffle things around, and multiple/evolving versions of some members to "accurately" represent a living and changing pantheon which spanned many centuries to a couple of millennia. There were many generations of Olympians. Before the Olympians there were Titans. There were several generations of Titans. Before the Titans there were Primordials. And Cthonics. Maybe some of these beings could be 5E "Dawn Titans".

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2019 :  22:37:12  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Ayrik. The "Dawn Titans" are just oldest, bizarre beigns from the time befote gods. Beings that were classified as "Elder Evils" in 3.x were said to be Primordials in 4e.

On a second though, in the general 4e lore, as opposed to the specific FR lore, the Primordials (or "Dawn Titans"; this was just a tittle not their "technical name") were the first beings spawned from the Elemental Chaos. Then they created titans to be their servants.

I guess guess this fits with beings such as Gaia and Uranus and others of this kind, that IIRC came from the primeval Chaos and where the parents of the Titans.

This somehow clash with FR lore, as titans in 4e were part of giantkind, that were created by Annam in FR lore (but, some 4e source theorizes Annam himself is a primordial), but in 5e titans are just divine constructs created by gods (and not nearly as powerful as gods, creating inconsistences with myth lore), so there is nothing that clash in the lore. You can say Gaia and her kind are primordials and be done with it.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 18 Jan 2019 02:56:48
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000