Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Ed Greenwood on Twitter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:00:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On divine sustenance:

@RedNoBlue

How do Gods sustain themselves through belief? Is there an independent power they can draw on, apportioned to them by Ao’s rule based on the number of followers they have? Or is belief itself the energy, a form of psychic emanation that the Gods feed on (for want of a better term). If so, how does it bridge such large gaps?

@TheEdVerse

Worship (NOT belief; in the Realms, all sane sentient beings “believe in” ALL of the deities) is a catalyst enabling deities to access more (or less) of the natural energies of a world/plane that I referred to in an earlier reply (wind, tides and currents, sunlight, heat, and so on).

Ao has nothing directly to do with this, and it’s not based on numbers of followers, but on amount and quality (fervence of devotion) of actual worship: prayers, deeds dedicated to the god/done while calling on the god (“Odin, guide my arm!”), offerings, etc. Deities can call on the energies of the plane where they make their home (the part of it they rule and have reshaped to their their preferences) and the energies of Toril, where they are venerated: when they manifest (send visions or voices or even avatars), it’s a two-way street: these ‘sendings’ are also sponges absorbing the energy of worship and transmitting back to the deity. Again, it’s a catalyst allowing them to access more world-energies. They CAN feed on it directly, but in doing so they consume it so it isn’t still extant to be a catalyst, so they can’t use it as such to absorb more world-energies.
#Realmslore

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:49:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On dragonborn and genasi in Luruar:

@ZeromaruX

Hi, @TheEdVerse I have a quick question for you.

According to the 4e Forgotten Realms Player's Guide, there was a significant minority of dragonborn and genasi in Luruar. Is this info still true in the 1490s?

Thanks in advance

@TheEdVerse

Genasi seem to be rare in that region in the 1490s DR, and dragonborn fewer.

There was much Spellplague tumult, and deaths, and fleeing to places folk had heard (or hoped) were in better shape, so although many folk were killed in the Spellplague and its aftermath, that doesn’t mean the “missing” dragonborn and genasi are dead; they may very well just have gone elsewhere (likely south and inland).
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:50:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a dragon, in human form, reverting after death:

@Artie_Pavlov

Question about dragons @TheEdVerse. If a dragon gets killed in her human shape. Does she revert back to her natural form? #dnd #dungeonsanddragons #Realmslore

@TheEdVerse

This is one of those queries that gets the infamous “It depends” answer. In this case, on the circumstances of the death. (Or the story needs of the DM/writer/game designer. ;} ) However, this is something that has come up in the home Realms campaign twice, and both times I as DM ruled the same way that (unbeknownst to me at the time) Gary Gygax had once answered such a query: yes, the dead dragon does revert at least partially (again, depending on the circumstances). So things could get interesting if space/volume or weight/mass are concerns. Reversion does occur past the point at which observers can tell at a glance this is NOT “just” a dead human (scales, etc.).
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:52:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Elminster playing D&D:

@Greysil_Tassyr

It occurred to me that if El was translating stuff into game terms, for Volo's Guides, he must know the game pretty well... Does he play D&D? Does he have a favorite class? How about any of the other Chosen, or those wizards that used to gather in your living room?

@TheEdVerse

Heh. El does know D&D pretty well, but is always pestering me to get that “Papers & Paychecks” RPG from the cartoon. He thinks all the D&D classes are “more than a little skewed” but that players portraying wizards “are all too often SO immature; can’t wait to blow things up. That’s a LAST resort; REAL wizards learn to menace, and impress, and get others to do things out of FEAR they’ll hurl a fireball. Children, these days. What’s that expression ye use? They should all get off ALL lawns.”

As for the other Chosen: they prefer Euro-builder games, or at least compete-to-do-more, faster games like LORDS OF WATERDEEP. They like to create things, not fight.

Dalamar likes first-person shooters, I suspect because they let him cut loose. Mordenkainen likes card games that involve bluffing, like poker. He likes to play against seasoned old ladies, because “I can respect them. In some cases, even fear them. Worthy foes.”
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:53:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Elminster versus Mordenkainen:

Aug 8, 2020

@arakan94

Who do you think would win in combat (taking place in Realms)? El or Mordenkainen?

@TheEdVerse

Heh. I get asked this weekly. El recently nursed Mordy back to mental health (see my novels) and so knows his mind and has pathways into it, and the contest is taking place in the Realms where the Weave is everywhere and El is a Weavemaster: so El wins, hands down.
#Realmslore

@arakan94

And how about in past? Before Spellplague or even before Time of Troubles? Would that be different? Someone also said that Mordy has copy of every magical item in existence and studied them...

Also, I am reading your novels right now and having a blast...

@TheEdVerse

It wouldn’t be different in the Realms, within the Weave. (On Oerth, I’d put my money on Mordy.) As for Mordy having every magic item: Hah! Pure piffle propaganda! He hasn’t lived enough years to even lay eyes on them all, if they were handed to him by a long line of trudging servants, let alone go and get them and try to use them. Mordy thoroughly understanding how enchantments can best be combined within an item, yes, that claim I’d buy.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:54:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Elminster's visits to Earth:

@SirWiseGuy

Can you please relate any more tales of Elminster's visits to Earth please? More stories of a vaguely friendly visitor would be soothing in these troubled times.

@TheEdVerse

Sure. :}

Recently, El wanted a ride in a canoe on a placid northern Ontario lake, and got one.
He now knows that standing up in a canoe and LEANING is a good way to get wet. Luckily for him, he knows a spell that can expel all excess water from clothing, hair, and body. Unluckily for me, the magic just hurls a wet mist out in all directions. Yuck.

Several visits: El loves lightning storms, and striding over the gently manicured hills of golf courses with his staff held high, getting struck repeatedly by lightning. DON’T TRY THIS; he’s an archwizard and foolhardy to boot.

Some old camping glades survive in some of Toronto’s ravine parks (log seats in a ring, well away from the paved paths and manicured areas). Lots of teenagers discover these, and so, in these COVID times, have some local fantasy and sf fans and writers, who get together to drink and chat from afternoons until moondown in the wee hours (safely distanced). Far from me, a hundred-some miles east out in the countryside, I’m afraid, but El remembered their moots, and attended. In disguise as, well, me. (!)

He assures me he behaved, and told me he loves the energy, idealism, crazy ideas and passionate discussions of them, and the youthful cynicism, too (“so CUTE,” he deemed it).

El also confessed to attending—in a different guise—a not-yet-released-TTRPG playtest in a Toronto-area basement.

“Their ideas of magic are so TWISTED,” he told me.

“Cthulhu twisted?” I asked.

“Worse,” he said darkly.

And of course the Old Mage made his usual raids on my larder and wine cellar. No ice cream (I’m being a good diabetic; El did NOT approve), and he found some of the libations I procured for my library ladies (co-workers at the day job) bewildering (as in: “Folk DRINK this cr—stuff? WILLINGLY?”), but enjoyed others (leaving me a heap of empty bottles). He also read some of the novels I’m working on, and found them HILARIOUS.

Some were even meant to be funny.

I’ll add this: having seen many folks wearing masks to guard against the coronavirus, El can’t understand why we don’t all seize the opportunity to wear plague doctor masks or wilder face coverings with snouts and so on.

“Folk in your world need to PLAY more,” he told me, “and not just when they’re young. Life is too short to stop having fun.” He then used a spell to conjure up pies and started a pie fight. My cat was NOT impressed.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:54:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On elven menstruation:

Aug 29, 2020

@Kendradream

this is a weird question, but I was wondering about, well, how often elves have to deal with menstruation. Is it monthly, like humans (living centuries with monthly bleeding lol)? Also, what is the typical age they start?

@TheEdVerse

Elves start menstruating at around the same age as humans (i.e. it varies from individual to individual, but they are physically maturing in their “teens,” though “teenaged” is not a term known in the Realms), and remain fertile until death, but many elves can precisely control their personal fertility (when they become pregnant, or when they fertilize another) so as not to bring young into the world in times of personal peril. Many elven parents use magic to prevent their young children conceiving before “adulthood” (the decades between puberty and being considered an adult by self and others). This magic, and this personal control, include control over menses (so, yes, a female elf who has such control can “stop her period” and/or render herself temporarily infertile, at will). Most fey (korreds, for example) have a close understanding of, and control over, their bodies and some bodily functions. (And therefore, far less shame and embarrassment than many humans do, over everything from farting and vomiting to masturbation and sexual arousal.)
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:55:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On elven reincarnation:

@Kendradream

in a previous tweet, you mentioned reincarnation was rare. What about elves? I know they have believed in reincarnation, but I always thought Arvandor was a final reward where elven spirits dwell. MToF paints it as a "waystation" for elven souls.

@TheEdVerse

Reincarnation for elves can happen, but is exceedingly rare. It’s usually seen as a penance for rights that must be wronged (in the new life), or “I can’t be happy in Arvandor until this unfinished business is dealt with,” and said unfinished business often involves avenging family or mate or close friends.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:56:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On elven body art:

Oct 11, 2020

@jayeedgecliff

@TheEdVerse moon elves, with their very pale skin and some having such pale hair too … I’m kinda wondering how common & how received are “alt” looks? Hair colours, especially odd or multi sort, piercings, tattoos … etc.

What would they use for the dyes too if you don’t mind?

@TheEdVerse

Moon elves tend to be very expressive, and that includes unusual hairdos and dying. Tattoos not common, but henna and other body painting (tattoos that fade and wear off and can be redrawn or replaced with different) popular. Forest berry, leaf, and bark dyes (see Amarune's Almanac 1: Forests of the Realms) such as blueleaf, flamebriar, and rowan are used, mixed with various saps and oils as carrier agents, for hair, nails, and body paint as well as textiles. Piercings are very rare among elves when metal is involved (when it is, it's usually electrum, or alloys of silver that won't readily tarnish); more often, elven piercings involve a bone from a revered ancestor or lost loved one.

Eyeshadow, and symbols painted around an eye, are favorite moon elf adornments.
#Realmslore

@LeslieCourtne14

How does this differ from sun elves, Ed?

The vast majority of sun elves go for gilded or bronzed (tans or cosmetic) bodily beauty and perfection, not alt or “goth” looks. They want to impress with how beautiful their bodies (and expensive, often-revealing garments) are, not how startling/”different” they can look. (So think of all the real-world TV elegant, Euro-style expensive fragrance commercials, and the A-list actress and celebs who appear in them, and that’s more what sun elves strive for.) Sun elves tend to have more overt vanity.

Both my moon and sun elf descriptions on this topic are of course stereotypes, and may break down entirely when applied to any individual elf, adventurers in particular.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:56:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Evergold:

Aug 7, 2020

@RidianG

Evergold, the Fountain of Beauty, the Fountain of Youth,or the Fountain of Youth and Beauty. Is it really the actual source of all elven and eladrin beauty? What would happen if it were destroyed, corrupted or clogged up so to speak?

Is it also the source of their longevity?

@TheEdVerse

No, Evergold isn’t the source of all elven or eladrin beauty or longevity. It is a nigh-pure-energy cleanser and renewer for ALL life, divine or mortal. It can’t be successfully clogged up or destroyed except in one place — because to destroy, bury, or block it in one place just causes it to move to another. It can’t be corrupted/tainted/contaminated except momentarily and in a very small area, because it cleans, purifies, or expels (literally teleporting every atom of the intruding substance elsewhere) whatever’s being used to try to dirty it. It never exists in just one place at once, so even trying to reach all parts of it at the same time, across the many planes of existence, is very difficult (remember, many of its locations are guarded by deities and/or their servitors, and enchantments they have ringed such locales with) — and the deities linked to it can also be vessels and conduits for it to move to yet other places

So attempts to destroy, corrupt, or clog it are very likely to fail. Elminster believes that if one succeeded, Evergold would just manifest (come into being) elsewhere, unheralded (though the deities linked to it would all be able to sense its direction and distance from them, and so readily find it).
#Realmslore

@AceofDragons1

“It can’t be successfully clogged up or destroyed except in one place—“

What place would that be, please?

@TheEdVerse

I meant whatever place it was thus attacked in. One of the places it can be found, not a sole specific location.
#Realmslore

@AceofDragons1

Oh, I see. My mistake, then.

Thanks for all you (and Elminster) do, by the way. It’s greatly appreciated.

Best wishes to you and yours.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:57:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On giant names:

@Bear_Jew67

Greetings @TheEdVerse! I hope you are feeling well. I would like to ask for your help with regard to any Giant names, official or unofficial, that you might use or have used in past products. I want to color the current adventure I am working on for my players. Thanks!

@TheEdVerse

Sure. It’ll take me a day or so to find my old notes, so first, Storm Giant’s Thunder gives us these giant names (I may be missing a few):

Cloud Giant
Male: Blagothkus, Cressaro, Eigeron, Kaaltar, Thullen, Vaal, Zephyros

Cloud Giant
Female: Alastrah, Sansuri

Fire Giant
Male: Zaltember, Zalto
Female: Brimskarda, Cinderhild, Tartha

Frost Giant
Male: Gurt, Harshnag, Storvald
Female: Hellenhild

Hill Giant
Male: Cog, Hruk, Tug
Female: Guh, Moog

Stone Giant
Male: Braxow
Female:
Kayalithica

Storm Giant
Male: Hekaton, Nimir, Orlekto, Uthor
Female: Mirran, Nym, Serissa, Shaldoor, Vaasha
#Realmslore

@TheEdVerse

And here are my giant names, or rather, my more recent notes (still can’t find the fifty-year-old ones):

Cloud Giant
Male: Ahdaug, Arltulk, Durvaskr, Krokr, Kurruk, Lhammurt, Vorskar
Female: Agatra, Dagna, Dakkra, Dyrdiss, Eistla, Faena, Faenra, Haelda, Laugra, Yastra, Ystrid

Fire Giant
Male: Fforl, Ffuldr, Fulluk, Hauk, Hulbro, Ilkurt, Snarr, Zund, Zundr
Female: Edrelle, Emba, Ffaelane, Ghenjra, Hulda, Lukue, Marra, Vrolka
#Realmslore

Frost Giant
Male: Fulvragg, Helmskag, Oraldr, Oskorri, Skane, Svolm, Ulfur, Uttir, Valkurl
Female: Folka, Gauthild, Geira, Grymra, Haelgra, Helmra, Hrimma, Imbra, Magra, Vulkara

Hill Giant
Male: Dagg, Gulk, Hogl, Hond, Hund, Kuld, Lodd, Teldo, Vruk, Usgut
Female: Ardis, Bora, Dis, Gulkra, Gylla, Laha, Nelmyr, Telda, Teldra, Tora, Vaere

Stone Giant
Male: Falkh, Hundar, Korlgar, Kuljarn, Sulfulkh, Valgusk, Vorold, Yulhamur
Female: Beldra, Gillauga, Gurdis, Moada, Oskra, Ragnara, Rakra, Skarla, Woave, Zarka

Storm Giant
Male: Gautarr, Harrdiir, Ilknarr, Kuruth, Ogmoth, Ogmund, Ormmur, Torune, Ulvulk
Female: Geironal, Helgyra, Hornarra, Mistfast, Relsif, Silkarra, Sparraxe, Talnut, Wynd, Yimmra
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2020 :  20:53:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On gish among githyanki:

@dan_stivers

Hey @TheEdVerse, I have a question you may be able to answer. Since I’m writing something githyanki themed, can you help explain where a gish falls in the githyanki hierarchy? #DnD

@TheEdVerse

See Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes for 5e lore on the githyanki. A gish is a popular thing to be among gith, but where a particular gish individual stands in local gith society depends on their levels and personal accomplishments, and where they stand in Vlaakith’s favor. (There are too many gish, and they vary too widely in experience and powers, to have one set place in the social pecking order.)
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2020 :  20:54:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On gods and the Weave, post-Spellplague:

@RedNoBlue

In 4th edition, when the Spellplague hit, the Weave couldn’t be manipulated due to the inherent madness of the Far Realm infecting it. Was that the reason Gods couldn’t provide the same function of spells as before?

@TheEdVerse

The Spellplague is what mortals on Toril called the Weave going wild, so wild surges happened, arcane spellcasters went mad or their brains literally exploded or caught fire, existing magics and newly-cast spells usually failed or twisted into unforeseen and unintended effects, and so on.

The Weave went wild because Mystra is the Weave, and had just been murdered; the Weave was in turmoil, with its own energies and the world-energies it accesses rippling and roiling through it in clashing tidal waves.

The only reason the Weave didn’t collapse is because Mystra had foreseen the consequences of her death, and guarded against them, adding to those mortals (the Chosen, in particular) who held a fraction of her divinity (divine silver fire) additional mortals, witting and unwitting, to be more Weave anchors. So the Weave was ‘anchored’ by many mortals, widely scattered across Toril, who were all tiny parts of Mystra. From them her vestige (seen briefly onstage in a cave in one of my Sage of Shadowdale novels) could arise to observe what was going on and give guidance to mortals who would heed her (her Chosen), and eventually she could return, and by means of these same Weave anchors the Weave could survive, so arcane magic could go on working, with increasing certainty/trustworthiness as time passed, and the Weave stabilized.

Immediately after the Spellplague hit, the Gods couldn’t answer any prayers with spells, because they were used to calling directly on the Weave to do so, and the Weave wouldn’t work. So mortal clerics could renew only 1st through 3rd level spells, just as they can when on another plane where they are out of touch with their deity. (Instead of having to go across the world to speak to someone in person, the gods had become used to picking up the telephone to talk—and when they tried to use the phone/the Weave immediately after the Spellplague hit, it was alive-crackling but not working.)

As the Weave slowly stabilized, gods found it glitch-prone; sometimes it reliably communicated spells to those praying to them, and sometimes it didn’t. So what they could use it for had changed, and not for the better. Until Mystra returned.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2020 :  20:55:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Gondite amusement park rides:

Oct 12, 2020

@cainer1967

I was watching a YouTube video of August 13 1903 Coney Island, New York. They had a roller coaster horse riding ride set up.

Have acolytes of Gond, tinkerers, smiths, or artificers set up amusement park style rides somewhere in Faerun?

@TheEdVerse

Oh, yes. Mainly of three varieties: carousels, horizontal cable-car inside-dark-building circuits that tell stories, tableau by tableau (e.g. Gond legends), and chute decents. North of the Spine of the World, non-Gondites have always set up ice-chute races (like our real world Red Bull Crashed Ice courses [see on YouTube]). I found it hilarious when they started these races, a mere 30 years after I wrote them into the Realms.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2020 :  20:55:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Haela Brightaxe and Tymora and Beshaba:

@WaddellErik

Hey Ed, another question for you! I was just reading about Haela Brightaxe, whose portfolio is luck in battle. Though she died battling Duergar gods, I am wondering if she has any lore connection with Tymora or Beshaba? An ally, rival, or unassociated?

@TheEdVerse

Haela is back, like seemingly all the deities who perished in the Spellplague or before. Haela was an ally of Tymora; on rare occasions, they took tea together and discussed events in the unfolding Realms, how the way in which they dispensed good fortune lifted morale, and such things. Haela and Beshaba despise each other, so no relationship has developed beyond sneering from afar, or more often just pointedly ignoring each other.

(Beshaba is the more powerful deity, but would lose any one-on-one combat with Haela, and knows it.)
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2020 :  20:56:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Halaster's survival:

Aug 13, 2020

@jeffusano

quick #realmslore question. In 1375DR, Halaster kills himself performing a ritual. In 1492, we find he is still alive. How did he survive, why did he send visions of his death, and what was he up to between 1375 and 1492?

@TheEdVerse

Halaster survived in part because he was so attuned to the Weave; when the ritual went awry and his body was rent asunder, his essence was scattered across the planes (some of it being caught in the Weave).

The ritual also made use of the Weave, like any arcane magic working, and the manner in which it did left some of his sentience ensnared in the Weave. This gave him time enough to desperately hurl visions into the minds of folk with the Gift (and some others) all across Faerûn. He was able to mingle compulsions with some of these visions, succeeding in forcing certain individuals to carry out specific actions. Some of these were “take care of this unfinished business for me, as I perish” but other deeds were aids to his own reassembly. However, Undermountain is so riddled with magic (the magic that keeps Waterdeep from collapsing down into it, the wards of the city, the nigh-countless localized enchantments cast on various ceilings, pillars, steps, doors, and other elements of the dungeon, and so on) that the Spellplague’s chaotic effects on magic made the interior of Undermountain a magical roiling mess, with ripples of magic crashing through each other and rebounding in a wild tangle that fed on itself and built in power for a long time, rather than subsiding as ripples in water do, and this mess prevented Halaster being reincorporated (pulling together a new physical body for himself, housing an intact soul within it) within Undermountain, his chosen seat of power, until the Spellplague was over, and its chaos had entirely faded.

When this finally befell, and magic was restored to its former stability, Halaster was able to restore himself to physical life. Whereupon he returned to Undermountain and resumed his “mad” life there (as seen in Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage).
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2020 :  21:02:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Halvan 'the Dark' of Halfaxe Trail:

Aug 3, 2020

@gkrashos

Hi Ed. Okay, so I couldn’t lure you into revealing Jergal lore. Because of that you at least owe me something: what was the surname of Halvan “the Dark” of Halfaxe Trail fame?

@TheEdVerse

Heh. Persistence will get you everywhere.

Halvan “the Dark” was Sembian by birth and in his youth a traveling trader up and down the Dragonreach, who settled in Harrowdale and became a successful landlord and shipper.

Halvan’s full name was Halvan Deirith Mhalkhombur; he hated his family (who had come to Sembia from Turmish, two generations earlier) and tried never to use his surname (his middle name was his mother’s half-elven-heritage family surname; it was Sembian custom in those days to use the surnames of high-status or wealthy families who marry into yours, as middle names).

Halvan became Lord of what he promptly dubbed “Halvan’s Dale” in 1182 DR, named as the successor of previous lord Andrur Surlwood, in papers found on Surlwood’s desk after the latter’s sudden and mysterious demise (likely of poison; Elminster doesn’t think Halvan was responsible, but rather Surlwood’s own kin, impatient to inherit).

The moment he became lord, Halvan used his new powers and the dale’s tax coffers to become a major local moneylender, driving hard bargains and seizing property (by strictly enforcing these lending agreements). He was not well liked by the dalesfolk, but he was respected, in part because he improved every building he came to own, and kept the dale clean, the nightsoil carted far away and composted, built new breweries and shops to rent out and larger, better inn facilities, workshop and warehouse space so Sembian businesses could relocate to their advantage, and generally brought prosperity to the dale.

And then he overreached himself fatally, by starting construction of the Halfaxe Trail.

As Elminster put it, “He was doing so well by crossing his fellow humans that he thought he could cross the elves, and succeed at it.”
#Realmslore

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Nov 2020 21:02:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2020 :  21:55:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Harkon Lukas:

May 4, 2020

@DwaineSpradling

Can you tell us anything about Harkon Lukas - also known as the Meistersinger - before the mists of Ravenloft whisked him away to Barovia to eventully become the Darklord of Kartakass? My understanding is that he's originally from Cormyr.

@TheEdVerse

He is. He and his family (wolfweres, all) dwelt in the southeasternmost Hullack Forest, and ranged over the Thunderflow valley. In human form, they traded along the Thunder Way into Archendale, far more than westwards into central Cormyr. Their slayings were part of what maintained the reputation the Thunder Peaks have for being “dangerous” that prevails on both sides of that mountain range. Harkon’s relative unfamiliarity with Cormyr is what led him to think he could rise to rule it; he was utterly unaware of the War Wizards and their abilities, and believed Cormyr was a sparsely-settled land of crofters, woodcutters, and traveling peddlers.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2020 :  21:56:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On High Netheril:

Sep 15, 2020

@AlexMcclay2000

Hey @TheEdVerse, it's becoming more obvious that Netheril is involved in the new book. My problem is I can't find any sources at all that say that Netheril was in Icewind Dale. I looked at GHotR and one of its maps says that Icewind Dale was dominated by Orc tribes during the age of Netheril.

It becoming frustrating and it just seams like @Wizards_DnD involved the Netherese because it would just be cool or something, IDK. Anauroch is really far away from Icewind Dale, so it seems unlikely that Netheril would be in the Dale.

@TheEdVerse

Here’s the thing: at the height of the “empire” of Netheril, Netheril consisted of many enclaves, a lot of them what are now referred to as “flying cities” (which, yes, fly about and so are mobile), created by Netherese archwizards. They all had wards or mythals or other magic arrangements to alter their local environments to what the creators wanted (even if it was just tinkering with ambient temperature and acting as a local umbrella).

Looking back, we now refer to these enclaves as “High Netheril,” and the ground farms and forests and lakes that provided the enclaves with fuel and food and other raw materials as “Low Netheril.”

The city of Thultanthar (aka “Shade”) was one such flying city enclave among many, and despite their self-aggrandizing propaganda, not mightier than most other Netherese cities; its “Princes” were mighty Netherese archwizards, but not necessarily the mightiest. And they were the only enclave often found in Anauroch.

As most of the enclaves were mobile, they could travel nigh anywhere (that then-mighty elves, dragons, and giants wouldn’t react with hostility when they showed up, that is). So there needn’t be an Anauroch connection with Thultanthar, and Thultanthar isn’t Netheril, any more than, say, real-world Poughkeepsie is all of the United States. It’s logical that a surviving Netherese city not known to the wider public in Toril today would be “hidden” in a remote and inhospitable locale, or folk would have “found” and identified (and likely occupied) it long ago.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2020 :  21:57:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Ed's own "Appendix N"

@AdamDravian

@TheEdVerse, hope you don't mind me pestering you about Realmslore while I oh so patiently await our encounter.

The 1e DMG Appendix N is an incredible resource for seeing what books inspired Gary when making D&D. What would an Appendix N for Ed Greenwood's Realms look like?

@TheEdVerse

The Realms began when I was five, and what was in it was inspired by all of the books I'd read up until then (and my father's den was crammed with them), and what little living I'd done until then. So, EVERYTHING. What most stirred me were the fantasies (LOTR, Dunsany, all of the romances involving knights errant, and the pulp adventures, plus sword-and-planet Burroughs and others). What inspired the FORM of the early Realms tales was my reading of Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd & Mouser tales in the pages of FANTASTIC; episodes in the adventures of heroes (?) in a fantastic world that featured feuds and politics older and larger than their strivings.

As I told Realms tales, I discovered more writers (E.E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman space operas, Vance, and Conan), and new authors appeared (Roger Zelazny, John Bellairs, Terry Pratchett, Robin McKinley, Patricia McKillip) who delighted me--and Lin Carter set about republishing all of the old classics of fantasy, and writing his own pastiches and stories. At the same time, through Carter, I rediscovered Cthulhu (initially, I loved Lovecraft's Dreamlands/Randolph Carter tales, only) and Randall Garrett's Lord Darcy, and some authors returned to writing (Julian May) while other new writers who crafted to my taste appeared (J.V. Jones).

And I went on living, following the "try everything" philosophy so I'd know what it was like to swim in a cold wilderness lake at dawn, walk through a graveyard in the moonlight, explore a cave, and so on. Nothing, on pages or in my experiences, was direct inspiration for the Realms, but everything was indirect inspiration. Including D&D, which around 1978 became the "skeleton" for how things worked in the Realms (Vance's magic system, and magic items, spells, and monsters do these exact things, precisely like this). The published Realms differs from my original in that it contains close real-world analogues (pyramids here, Mayans there, Far Eastern cultures yonder) added by various TSR designers, and trying to knit the offerings of diverse Realms creators into one tapestry, ever since the published Realms became a shared world, has provided yet more inspiration (WHY are the Red Wizards doing this, and the Zhentarim trying for that? I created those power groups, but others have done much with them, and working out their shifting aims, alliances, and schemes has provided endless fun, and still does.

So being as Gary provided that Appendix not just to mark direct inspirations, but also to provide DM resources, mine would be hundreds of books long, and range from Stasheff's The Warlock In Spite of Himself and Offutt's Messenger of Zhuvastou and Piper's Lord Kalvan Of Otherwhen, to Norton's Witch World and The Zero Stone and Uncharted Stars, and on to the Face In The Frost from Bellairs and the Hed trilogy (just for starters).

And I revisit Amber and Discworld often, and really wish we'd all got to see more of Khymyrium.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2020 :  21:57:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Ed's original Chessenta:

Aug 10, 2020

@rwgs76

Dear @TheEdVerse, well met! Sorry if this has been asked before, but could you tell us a little about your original Chessenta? I guess it was not based on Ancient Greece, right?

@TheEdVerse

No part of my original Realms was based on any direct real-world analogues. (Many designers and DMs have made real-world connections for their own convenience.) Chessenta is a verdant region of many independent city-states, so it could be stretched into a comparison with real-world Italy in the time of the condottieri (Middle Ages, just pre-War of the Renaissance) because of climate, wealth, and politics, but I warn again against linking the Realms too closely with what we know of that real-world time and place.

The Realms is its own world, hopefully NOT a thin copy of ours (or Hollywood-ours).

Chessenta is a gently hilly land of good ports, horsebreeders, successful food-growing farms (and thus, a breadbasket for nearby lands), winding lanes, enough wealth and leisure for painters and sculptors to make good livings and adorn many dwellings with their work, many landscape-transforming gardens, widespread irrigation, good roads and inns and therefore swift travel, and a flourishing culture of writers and readers. Plus wine!
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2020 :  21:58:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On how Azoun IV knows who to trust:

Aug 24, 2020

@jayeedgecliff

if I may, I know Azoun IV has nobels he trusts quite implicitly: Wyvernspur, for example. How does he pick them? In this case Wyvernspur maybe a less good example since that’s a trust running far back.

But even among the oldest houses some do possess & readily espouse the deepest faith in & love for the Orbarskyrs. Does he ever take these into close confidence either openly or in secret and what, pray, is his manner of doing so? Given A4 I suppose “whim” isn’t off the table for how they’re selected

Thanks

@TheEdVerse

Heh. Well, Azoun has his spies, as well as Vangerdahast and the "official" spies (plus the War Wizards) to gather intel for him. This includes the "house wizards" assigned to all 'local lords' (settlement rulers) in the realm.

Queen Fee has her own spies, plus an intel-sharing agreement with the Harpers. And Alusair from time to time informs her father of what she sees and hears while riding with the young nobles she hunts, patrols, and adventures with. So Azoun has not just his own experiences with what nobles do (not just say), he has all of this additional information about how nobles behave when they KNOW the King is far away. And Vangey trusts NO one, so Azoun can trust in his preparations. Later, under Caladnei, he had to be more careful to account for the fact that she, unlike Vangey, hadn't know most of these nobles since before they were born.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2020 :  21:59:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On humans that survived the timejump:

@CombatDn

Ed I just found out Durnan was still alive, I guess due to potions of longevity? Any other humans from the Heroes Lorebook below jump out at to you as still alive?

@TheEdVerse

From that list: Alias, Alustriel, Arilyn Moonblade (likely), Cadderly, Cattie-Brie, Danilo Thann (likely), Dove (as a Voice in the Weave), Dragonbait (Possibly), Elminster, Laeral, Mirt (was trapped in a blueflame item for a century), Myrmeen Lhal (as a dragon), Qilué (as a Voice in the Weave), Shandril Shessair (as a Voice in the Weave), Storm, Syluné (as a Voice in the Weave), Vangerdahast (as a twisted “thing”), Wulgar (reborn).

And yes, Durnan (and his wife) survive into the present-day Realms due to potions of longevity (as last mentioned in one of my lore replies here on Twitter this May, Durnan still has a few potions left).
#Realmslore

@FatBoyExercises

Was Mystra's restoration of Vangy's human form, at the end of The Herald, temporary then?

@TheEdVerse

Untold Realms Tale Alert:

Vangey worked some magic after that, that now leads him to revert under stress to his "head stuck to his hand like a spider" form, and has to pray to Mystra, or attract the attention of one of her servitors (the Chosen), to get 'put right' again.

He can no longer by magic transform himself, for some unknown (except to Mystra and Azuth, and they're not telling) reason.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2020 :  22:00:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the Icewind Dale's black ice:

@Artie_Pavlov
chardalyn vs black ice. what is going on @ChrisPerkinsDnD? it sounds like the same substance. Rime's chardalyn's properties match the black ice vs previously established chardalyn lore. #dungeonsanddragons #RimeoftheFrostmaiden #dnd

@Artie_Pavlov
I know it's not your creation or at least not the second part, but chardalyn vs black ice in Rime of the Frostmaiden. @TheEdVerse the two seem to be conflated and I seem to be confuzzledd.

@TheEdVerse

Steve Fidler of Vorpal Dice Press has already hit upon the most likely explanation. Although chardalyn is a naturally occurring gemstone that has been found in the Realms since the time of Netheril’s glory, and “black ice” is a mineral that appeared in Toril after Crenshinibon was ‘destroyed’ in the 1360s DR, what seems to have happened is that Crenshinibon’s destruction either unleashed a contingency spell worked by the seven liches who created Crenshinibon, or was seized upon by an opportunistic Demon Prince, that exploited the destruction of Crenshinibon, to corrupt all naturally-existing Chardalyn into Black Ice (the demon’s involvement would explain the “demonic magic”).
As for why this transformation? Obviously, to provide more Black Ice in future, for as-yet-unrevealed fell purposes. Which many a DM can obviously think up and reveal at times most dire for PC adventurers. ;}
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2020 :  22:10:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On if there is a connection between Thundertree and the Thunderbeast tribe:

Aug 1, 2020

@Meonaar

Hello! It's me again for another peace of knowledge. Is there connection between Thundertree (LMoP) and Thurnderbeast tribe? As NWCS said some Uthgardt people came into Neverwinter Woods.

@TheEdVerse

Hi, Max. The answer is no, except for a coincidental name similarity, and some Thunderbeast barbarian familiarity with Neverwinter Wood.

Thundertree the human village (until devastated in 1451 DR by a Mount Hotenow eruption; an unleashing of local magic caused in this destruction made flora in and around Thundertree turn into twig blights) was named for an unusually tall stand of duskwoods that were repeatedly struck by lightning during storms; due to their layout, they echoed thunder peals, so the thunder seemed to echo around them (they were all lightning-scorched and dead before the then-hamlet was founded in 1292 DR).

The Thunderbeast barbarian tribe were food-following-nomadic, like most Uthgardt tribes, but frequented the High Forest and the Lurkwood rather than Neverwinter Wood; the closest they normally came to Neverwinter Wood was their ancestor mound, Morgur’s Mound, in The Crags to the northeast of the wood. Their name is derived from their veneration of the Thunderbeast (brontosaurus dinosaur), and they guarded the increasingly-open-secret that thunderbeasts yet dwelt deep in the High Forest. When they found Morgur’s Mound despoiled in the fall of 1477 DR, they left warriors in Neverwinter Wood to await the return of the Gray Wolf tribe (who are the Uthgardt tribe who DO frequent Neverwinter Wood) to inquire who had dug up Morgur’s Mound (see p30 of the 4e Neverwinter campaign setting).
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000