Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Ed Greenwood on Twitter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2020 :  18:20:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Wooly, you posted twice the info about the Grim Statue, the second time in the post about the Thanns. So, I'm gonna post that info for you:

Good catch! That's what I get for trying to post so many of these, during my lunch break.

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

And thanks for sharing all this with us!

Not a problem! I'm glad people appreciate it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2020 :  19:00:49  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's very much appreciated. Realmslore has become internetically fragmented in the past few years and is now spread across multiple locations, making it very hard to keep track of. This thread makes it so much easier to do that.

Keep up the good work, and thanks.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2020 :  11:20:58  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a Twitter Account so sending this question for Ed here...

It is concerning Lamruil Moonflower and the Tree of Souls.The Tree of Souls remained in Evermeet and in the protection of the elves there but, after the failed conquest by Kymil Nimesin, the Queen, Amlaruil Moonflower, gave her son, Lamruil Moonflower, a bud of the tree. The Queen imparted to Lamruil that the time to plant the Tree on the mainland had come.In 1373 DR, Auseriel was abandoned and Lamruil retreated with the Tree to Evermeet to prevent its destruction. The tree was returned to Queen Amlaruil for safe keeping. In 1377 DR, Amlaruil brought the Tree back to the mainland and presented it to Ilsevele Miritar, seventh Coronal of the recently recaptured Myth Drannor. So what has happened to Lamruil Moonflower and Maura Silverhand since 1377?Now we know that Lamruil is the current bearer of the King’s Blade, the most powerful elven moonblade and heir apparent to the throne of Evermeet. With Myth Drannor destroyed in the Sundering series that brought on 5e, what has happened to the Tree of Souls (since the reason it was even put in Myth Drannor is because Richard Baker when writing Last Mythal Series forgot about Lamruil bringing it to Auseriel.)? So the Tree of Souls is supposed to once planted, would create a gradually enlarging sphere protected by ancient High Magic, and thus establish a new Elven Kingdom, a new haven for the Elven people, so where is it in 5E Faerun and what is happening with that?

My other question for Ed... Since Elaine's last book never seen the light as has been discussed, I have a question about Elaith Craulnober. What is he up to? Has he finally discovered about his Son with Amnestria and did or does Lamruil Moonflower know about his cousin. Anything that you can tell us about Elaith's Son, like name, age, whereabouts, history?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2020 :  14:56:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of things. Ed has already advised what happened re the Tree of Souls noting that the High Mages and baelnorn of Myth Drannor erected a magical barrier to protect it from the impact of Thultanthar landing on the city. Also, given that Elaine effectively made Elaith "her own", he's unlikely to say much about him so as to leave her wiggle room if she ever gets the opportunity to finish up her character arc.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  13:50:31  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Wooley, can you pass this along to Ed for me, it would greatly appreciated.

Greeting Ed and I hope all is well with you.

Ok spoiler alert in case anyone else reads this and hasn't read Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes

Ed, after reading Morkenkainen's Tome of Foes the lastest D&D supplement, p.35 and 36 most especially, I must say that I am very very disappointed with this.

I my humble opinion, they through out all the lore of Demihuman Deities, the Complete Handbook of Elves, Novel Evermeet Island of Elves, the Handbook Evermeet Island of Elves, all the lore from Races of Faerun, the History of the Realms and all the Crown Wars, and killed the creation myth in one fell swoop.

They totally underplayed Lolth, and the battle of the Seldarine, and now Elf upon death ever remains in Arvandor or Avarnaith, but they are all forced to be reincarnated and keep repeating this cycle.

Here is the quote: "As a consequence of this rift, no elf would ever fully return to Corellon's embrace to enjoy life eternal in Arvandor. Instead, when an elven soul returns to Arvandor, it is adopted by the other Gods of the Seldarine, and given respite from the world for a time, during which is left alone to contemplate its creator's disappointment. Then the soul emerges from Arvandor, to be reborn into a lissome, graceful body that lives for an incredibly long time- evidence that their creator holds a love for them that, deep down is boundless." end quote.

I do not understand this. I must admit that I am perplexed, disappointed, and I will even admit a little mad, that they would disregard all the previous canon and continuity and through it out the window and replace it by this. Elves and reincarnation, there have been many sources on this and the view and mindset on this already published.

Now this book is called Modenkainen's Tome of Foes, a character that is technically created and normally of Greyhawk, though now they have put him in FR over the last couple of years. So maybe I can brush this up to viewing it as his perspective, and he is human. But use this book to introduce the new version of Eldarin and to explain the "Fey Connection" for the Elves, I think they missed the boat, since that has already been explained many many times, and kill all the previous canon lore, I find borders on being well I am even ashamed to say but disgraceful.

What is your take Ed on this latest re-writing of Elven lore?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2020 :  02:01:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Donohue

Hello Wooley, can you pass this along to Ed for me, it would greatly appreciated.

Greeting Ed and I hope all is well with you.

Ok spoiler alert in case anyone else reads this and hasn't read Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes

Ed, after reading Morkenkainen's Tome of Foes the lastest D&D supplement, p.35 and 36 most especially, I must say that I am very very disappointed with this.

I my humble opinion, they through out all the lore of Demihuman Deities, the Complete Handbook of Elves, Novel Evermeet Island of Elves, the Handbook Evermeet Island of Elves, all the lore from Races of Faerun, the History of the Realms and all the Crown Wars, and killed the creation myth in one fell swoop.

They totally underplayed Lolth, and the battle of the Seldarine, and now Elf upon death ever remains in Arvandor or Avarnaith, but they are all forced to be reincarnated and keep repeating this cycle.

Here is the quote: "As a consequence of this rift, no elf would ever fully return to Corellon's embrace to enjoy life eternal in Arvandor. Instead, when an elven soul returns to Arvandor, it is adopted by the other Gods of the Seldarine, and given respite from the world for a time, during which is left alone to contemplate its creator's disappointment. Then the soul emerges from Arvandor, to be reborn into a lissome, graceful body that lives for an incredibly long time- evidence that their creator holds a love for them that, deep down is boundless." end quote.

I do not understand this. I must admit that I am perplexed, disappointed, and I will even admit a little mad, that they would disregard all the previous canon and continuity and through it out the window and replace it by this. Elves and reincarnation, there have been many sources on this and the view and mindset on this already published.

Now this book is called Modenkainen's Tome of Foes, a character that is technically created and normally of Greyhawk, though now they have put him in FR over the last couple of years. So maybe I can brush this up to viewing it as his perspective, and he is human. But use this book to introduce the new version of Eldarin and to explain the "Fey Connection" for the Elves, I think they missed the boat, since that has already been explained many many times, and kill all the previous canon lore, I find borders on being well I am even ashamed to say but disgraceful.

What is your take Ed on this latest re-writing of Elven lore?

Um... There's a thing with Twitter: your posts have to be 140 characters or less. Perhaps you could condense this somewhat, so it can fit into like two or three tweets?

Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2020 :  14:32:12  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok Wooley,

Following your advice, I tried to condense it into the 140 word count as follows:

Hello Ed,
Though this might have been brought up already. D&D made Forgotten Realms its flagship world for 5E. After reading Modenkainen’s Tome of Foes, about Elves, I must admit I am shocked, perplexed, saddened, disappointed & maybe a tad disgusted. To me it is like they threw everything previous cannon, and erased it. From PHBR8, Demihumans Deities, Novel Evermeet Island Of Elves, The PHB for Evermeet Island of Elves, Races of Faerun, Forgotten Realms Campain Seting. Elves and reincarnation really? Chapt 7 in PHBR8 is very specific about that, DHD p.112. Even worst until Loth is dead, no Elf can remain in Avarnaith, seriously? Then all the lore about the Seldarine, Lolth, Elven creation from the blood of Corellon and the Tears of Sehanine. I don’t understand how they could trash all that cannon lore?

Edited by - Bruce Donohue on 16 Mar 2020 14:34:15
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2020 :  22:50:34  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Should I type up my Ed replies here? I’ve gotten a few recently.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2020 :  00:58:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Donohue

Ok Wooley,

Following your advice, I tried to condense it into the 140 word count as follows:

Hello Ed,
Though this might have been brought up already. D&D made Forgotten Realms its flagship world for 5E. After reading Modenkainen’s Tome of Foes, about Elves, I must admit I am shocked, perplexed, saddened, disappointed & maybe a tad disgusted. To me it is like they threw everything previous cannon, and erased it. From PHBR8, Demihumans Deities, Novel Evermeet Island Of Elves, The PHB for Evermeet Island of Elves, Races of Faerun, Forgotten Realms Campain Seting. Elves and reincarnation really? Chapt 7 in PHBR8 is very specific about that, DHD p.112. Even worst until Loth is dead, no Elf can remain in Avarnaith, seriously? Then all the lore about the Seldarine, Lolth, Elven creation from the blood of Corellon and the Tears of Sehanine. I don’t understand how they could trash all that cannon lore?

You are clearly unfamiliar with Twitter... It's 140 characters, not words.

I trimmed it a hair further and still had to split it into four Tweets to post it. But it's there, now.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2020 :  01:00:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Should I type up my Ed replies here? I’ve gotten a few recently.

I hope I've gotten all of them and just haven't taken the time to post them, yet... But feel free to go ahead and do so. This thread is more about putting it all in one place, and less about who it is that gets the info here. I'm happy to let others assist.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  16:46:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the voices and languages of various races:

@jayeedgecliff

I’ve a peculiar query … I mean moreso than usual I suppose.

In Cormyr: A Novel our old boy B’s Netherese accent is described as chime-like; also across much Realms material the languages and accents of Elves are described using similar terminology of “musical” and adjectives involving bells and the like.

I’m curious if you might elaborate? Especially if there’s any real world languages that might be useful references to the sorts of tones, phonemes, cadences that these languages use?

I confess a certain fascination for alien/fantasy philology and linguistics. In my own sf/f settings imagining the languages of the peoples populating it is very nearly as much fun as their psychology, sociology, religions and I’m possibly rambling/babbling, sorry. But one of my alien worlds has a highly tonal language and the regional accent of the character in question is described as musical and chime-like. It just sort of clicked that you have used such descriptions more than a few times yourself and perhaps

Both for having an auditory reference point for so many realmsian languages but if in knowing a region of our planet to explore I trip over a reference for my own peoples’ voices … bonus points.

@TheEdVerse

Sure. Elvish languages have lots of fluid, soft (“S” without a hiss, unless angry) sounds, go up and down in register far more than most human speakers do, ranging over an octave and a half; most humans stay within about six notes, so: the difference between a singer like Enya and an old man singing the Hollywood tune “September Song.” Real-world Puerto Rican speakers have a lot of the darting, swift glissandos elves do (I chose them out of all real-world speakers because I can readily add “when speaking English”).

In addition, elven vocal cords can manage two notes at once (the closest most humans can come is to whistle and drone at the same time), which is why I speak of chiming like bells (I really mean a two-tone chord, but with a clear tone, and that’s most often heard in our real world when church bells are rung).

Many gamers (not me) reach for a Scottish accent when trying to portray dwarves. To me, dwarves may have the burr that some Scots speakers do, but the key characteristic is that they are flat, emphatic speakers: they come down firmly on one note for a syllable.

Gnomes are like softer, quieter dwarves, often described as humming or murmuring when heard in the background or at a distance, whereas halflings are high-pitched but soft-spoken, and talk quickly (think a softer version of anyone talking their way through the vocal of a patter song, like Gilbert & Sullivan’s “When You're Lying Awake With A Dismal Headache {The Nightmare Song}” from Iolanthe).
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  16:47:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On magic and psionics, in regards to Abeir:

@vengeful_jarl

Abeir, I know for the most part been purposely kept vague. Could you correct me on some things? Magic itself isn't supported unless it's innate (genasi abilities) or stored (magic items). Would psionics work there? I assume some form of ritual magic, (not tied to the weave) is possible for Gileam to make a deal with Graz'zt prior to being moved back to Toril) or would other magics not tied to the weave like mages from Krynn or Oerth be able to work there?

Abeir is on another plane correct? So it's not in Realmspace as far as a spelljaming ship could reach? Would a planeshift spell work to get you there? Any other planar or geological features to keep in mind?

@TheEdVerse

Yes, psionics work on Abeir. Psionics are innate abilities.

The Weave is a way of accessing the natural energies of Toril; it’s the conduit for what mortals call “arcane magic” (the sort practised by wizards). There are other ways of working magic, alternatives to the Weave, and every one of them that isn’t innate could be described as a “ritual,” so, yes, forms of ritual magic are possible. Mages from Krynn or Oerth using arcane magic on Toril are calling on the Weave, whether they realize it or not; on any other Prime Material Plane world, their spells are accessing the energies of the world through the local equivalent of the Weave, which means there’s a chance that some spells will have different, unexpected effects. (The same applies to mages of Toril, casting spells on another world.) However, on Abeir, we know from observed events that even though Abeir’s arcane magic may not use something called the Weave, and Mystra may not hold sway or any influence there, spells for the most part function the same way.

Abeir is on another Prime Material Plane from Toril, and from time to time (the Sunderings) the two worlds ‘pass through’ each other, with much physical landscape chaos, swapping of features, and other ‘weirdness.’ We also know that the two worlds are very much the same in terms of ‘normal’ conditions when apart (gravity, breathable air, and so on), so a being from one can live out their lives, functioning, on another. Yes, a plane shift spell would work, but if you the caster know nothing about Abeir except its name, you might well end up somewhere else. If you’ve “seen into” Abeir from Toril at any time during the conjunction and the Second Sundering as they moved apart, that counts as “knowing Abeir” well enough to at least end up in Abeir.

Abeir is in Realmspace, but in a ‘pocket dimension’ out of synchrony/synchronicity with the rest of Realmspace, which means that a spelljamming ship could never find it without someone on that ship knowing how, and having the power/magical ability, to ‘shift the ship’ dimensionally, to reach Abeir. Elminster says this can be done, by magically temporarily altering a functioning spelljamming helm, but is dangerous to the operator of that helm, and will draw a LOT of magical power (more than a typical spelljamming ship would customarily carry), likely requiring the permanent draining/destruction of several magic items.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  16:47:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On magic and psionics, in regards to Abeir:

@vengeful_jarl

Abeir, I know for the most part been purposely kept vague. Could you correct me on some things? Magic itself isn't supported unless it's innate (genasi abilities) or stored (magic items). Would psionics work there? I assume some form of ritual magic, (not tied to the weave) is possible for Gileam to make a deal with Graz'zt prior to being moved back to Toril) or would other magics not tied to the weave like mages from Krynn or Oerth be able to work there?

Abeir is on another plane correct? So it's not in Realmspace as far as a spelljaming ship could reach? Would a planeshift spell work to get you there? Any other planar or geological features to keep in mind?

@TheEdVerse

Yes, psionics work on Abeir. Psionics are innate abilities.

The Weave is a way of accessing the natural energies of Toril; it’s the conduit for what mortals call “arcane magic” (the sort practised by wizards). There are other ways of working magic, alternatives to the Weave, and every one of them that isn’t innate could be described as a “ritual,” so, yes, forms of ritual magic are possible. Mages from Krynn or Oerth using arcane magic on Toril are calling on the Weave, whether they realize it or not; on any other Prime Material Plane world, their spells are accessing the energies of the world through the local equivalent of the Weave, which means there’s a chance that some spells will have different, unexpected effects. (The same applies to mages of Toril, casting spells on another world.) However, on Abeir, we know from observed events that even though Abeir’s arcane magic may not use something called the Weave, and Mystra may not hold sway or any influence there, spells for the most part function the same way.

Abeir is on another Prime Material Plane from Toril, and from time to time (the Sunderings) the two worlds ‘pass through’ each other, with much physical landscape chaos, swapping of features, and other ‘weirdness.’ We also know that the two worlds are very much the same in terms of ‘normal’ conditions when apart (gravity, breathable air, and so on), so a being from one can live out their lives, functioning, on another. Yes, a plane shift spell would work, but if you the caster know nothing about Abeir except its name, you might well end up somewhere else. If you’ve “seen into” Abeir from Toril at any time during the conjunction and the Second Sundering as they moved apart, that counts as “knowing Abeir” well enough to at least end up in Abeir.

Abeir is in Realmspace, but in a ‘pocket dimension’ out of synchrony/synchronicity with the rest of Realmspace, which means that a spelljamming ship could never find it without someone on that ship knowing how, and having the power/magical ability, to ‘shift the ship’ dimensionally, to reach Abeir. Elminster says this can be done, by magically temporarily altering a functioning spelljamming helm, but is dangerous to the operator of that helm, and will draw a LOT of magical power (more than a typical spelljamming ship would customarily carry), likely requiring the permanent draining/destruction of several magic items.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  16:48:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On becoming a hag:

@Poetinabox

A Realmslore question. How does one become a Hag if not born into one? Would they retain their old abilities and memories or are they twisted too much in the process?

@TheEdVerse

There have always been both spells and rituals involving potions, by which humans can become hags (Gary Gygax’s idea, not mine, though I portrayed this in a long-ago adventure run at a GenCon that he played in, and approved of), and those who succeed (rather than poisoning themselves in the attempt and sickening, withering, and dying) do retain their old memories, and sometimes their abilities (depends on what those abilities are, and how much their bodies get changed), BUT…‘real’ hags can always ‘smell’ such self-created hags, and treat them as despised, lesser beings, fodder to be sacrificed to the swords, fangs, and claws of adventurers and other monsters.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  16:48:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Dagult Neverember's magic items:

@vincejordy

@TheEdVerse great powerful lore sage,

I hope you haven't answered this question too many times for comfort, but I wish to know how many magical items does Dagult Neverember have?

I know he was an adventurer in a past life, but as Lord Protector, how much more does he have?

@TheEdVerse

No one but Dagult Neverember himself really knows, and that’s one of the things that keeps his foes at bay. No one wanting to unseat him as Lord Protector, or assassinate him, really knows what they’re facing.

(So it’s really up to you, as the DM.)

Elminster suspects Neverember has more than one enchanted suit of armor, as many as a dozen rings, a wand or two, several rods, and a dozen or more other items, including figurines, several magic swords and daggers, and an animated shield.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  16:49:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Gilgeam ruling Unther:

@rwgs76

Dear @TheEdVerse, when Gilgeam ruled Unther, did he rule it in person, directly through one of his avatars or through his priesthood? One source says he was slain by a reborn Tiamat at some point in late 15th century. Who ruled Unther after his death? Thanks in advance.

@TheEdVerse

Gilgeam ruled Unther in person, and was slain by Tiamat in 1358 DR. After his death, many vied for rule of Unther, and neighboring Mulhorand invaded the realm and conquered most of it (the Northern Wizards, protectors of Messemprar, managed to hold back the invaders from northern Unther, and ruled it).

After the Second Sundering, a second incarnation of Gilgeam was seen again in Unther, and since his return in 1486 DR has been fighting to regain his realm from Tymanther.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  16:49:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Gilgeam ruling Unther:

@rwgs76

Dear @TheEdVerse, when Gilgeam ruled Unther, did he rule it in person, directly through one of his avatars or through his priesthood? One source says he was slain by a reborn Tiamat at some point in late 15th century. Who ruled Unther after his death? Thanks in advance.

@TheEdVerse

Gilgeam ruled Unther in person, and was slain by Tiamat in 1358 DR. After his death, many vied for rule of Unther, and neighboring Mulhorand invaded the realm and conquered most of it (the Northern Wizards, protectors of Messemprar, managed to hold back the invaders from northern Unther, and ruled it).

After the Second Sundering, a second incarnation of Gilgeam was seen again in Unther, and since his return in 1486 DR has been fighting to regain his realm from Tymanther.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  16:49:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On elven fertility:

@LysbethRaven

And in the same vein as the last question, how does the fertility rates differ among elves? For example, could an average elf get pregnant only once a year compare to twice for a drow? Or are they all the same among the various subraces?

@TheEdVerse

As elves long ago mastered magic that allows them to get pregnant when they want to, and not otherwise (so as not to try to bring up babies in times of war, famine, and disaster), and we don't know which individuals use it and which don't, we don't know what the base fertility rate is for any elf subrace. We DO know elves didn't have the fertility problems dwarves faced in recent centuries, and that elves live more in balance with the land and less "have more offspring, now more, now more" (unlike orcs and humans).
#Realmslore

@Greysil_Tassyr

Does that elven control over pregnancy just mean they don't have unplanned pregnancies, or is it a case of they decide exactly when to get pregnant and it happens?

@TheEdVerse

The latter. It doesn't happen "just by itself," mind you; the necessary physical act is still necessary. ;}
#Realmslore

@coolguy73360922

This is what bothers me.The primary reason for decline of elves and rise of human is the population of elves is too small. So why don't they raise their fertility rate?

@TheEdVerse

Here, you assume common-sense social engineering that accepts a common goal, and overrides individual freedoms (not wanting to be pregnant, or raise offspring), in a way that the overall elven population may not accept.

Or as some dwarves have put it, often enough that it became a racial saying, "If you want to tell an elf what to do, be sure to bring your axe."
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  16:50:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On godborn children:

@jayeedgecliff

@TheEdVerse all the recent discussions of Chosen and other gods’ chosens makes me wonder something tangential:

Godly tampering.

For blessing or curse, gift or custom generated Champion … I imagine it’s quite rare but do the gods have the power to make a birth happen?

(E.g. someone barren suddenly becomes pregnant)

Even where one should not be possible? (e.g. a lesbian couple, or even virgin birth)

I’m sure if you stuck any 10 gods you care to into a room asked Why you’ll get no fewer than 15 answers, but if capable do any of them ever even consider doing such a thing?

Are there consequences? The child becomes a beacon attracting the attention of rival gods’ servitors, or something?

I mean the “Champion” thing … could be Lliira finally has enough and makes a child be born hoping, with the mark of her touch they should go out into a shattered and war-wrecked region to bring back their laughter, ease their sorrows, teaching them dances …

Or Tyr creating someone He dreams will become a mighty arbiter of Justice throughout Faerûn …

I mean tbh I already did this with my space opera Realms (it’s complicated and involves a genius who read Number of the Beast too young) once for Reasons Not Yet Fully Realised but I’m interested to know what El or Ed thinks on the matter in the broader Realms, please?

@TheEdVerse

The answer is yes, gods can bring about unlikely or otherwise impossible births. Usually to 'mold' Chosen or prepare backup future host bodies. However, it's VERY rarely done because it costs (permanently lost) a small amount of divine power, and because unless the deity wants to just waste that power, the rearing of a "godborn" takes a lot of time, attention, and effort. And any godborn is a juicy target for rival deities. So it's done only as part of "long game" elaborate strategies, not out of Zeus-like lust.
#Realmslore

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Mar 2020 16:51:37
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  16:51:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Kelemvor and the Raven Queen:

@VikGray

do not wanna disturb you too much, but thats the thing my small brain can't figure out itself. We talked with my friendo about RQ and Kel. What is exact difference between peace that Kelemvor and his realm brings to the souls and Raven Queen's feelinglessness?

@TheEdVerse

Far from being devoid of feeling, the Raven Queen collects memories and strong emotions, usually those associated with loss and tragedy. Many sages believe she’s insane.

Kelemvor judges souls to put them in their proper places, with souls ethically akin to themselves, to then live an afterlife (neither tortured nor knowing joy). He treats the dead with respect.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  16:52:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the current status of Finder and Moander:

@LeslieCourtne14

Hey Ed! I’m interested in crafting an adventure centered around the god Moander, but I’m not sure if he’s still dead as of the Second Sundering or not, and the current status of Finder Wyvernspur. Do you have any advice, oh master of lore?

@TheEdVerse

All the gods are back. That includes the famous loner Finder and Moander, who’s maintaining a low profile, lurking in many different patches of rot and decay across Faerûn, and seeking to corrupt minds nearby (like the Rotting Man).

Moander...shall...arise.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  16:52:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On names for goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears:

Mar 15, 2020

@Beef_Ice_Cream

hi Ed!

I'm wondering what naming conventions goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears use? Goblins most importantly. Can you provide me any insight and example names please?

@TheEdVerse

Different tribes and communities of goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears vary widely in how they choose names and what they use in daily life. (A lesser-known feature of all three races, in the Realms, is that their societies are essentially matriarchal. War chiefs may be large males, but female elders decide things, and lineage is traced through the females.) Atop that, some tribes place great importance on lineage and therefore clan membership and therefore use of surnames—and others don’t.

Which is a long-winded way of saying names vary from place to place in the Realms, among the same race.

However, MOST goblins an adventurer may encounter will have short, one-syllable first names, followed by a middle name that’s a family surname, and a surname that’s a clan name, like this: Darg Huum Sarsar.

(In daily life, only the first names are used, as goblins work and go on war and foraging forays in family or clan groups; everyone knows everyone else, so therefore knows the bloodlines, so only given names are used.)

Hobgoblins tend to drop the clan name, and may have longer names.

Both races tend to have ‘proper names’ for their clans, that they use among themselves, rather than the versions they offer humans (Broken Fang, Tuskjaw, and so on), that emphasize fierce agression and brutish simplicity (the image they want to project to humans, to sew fear and encourage retreat and avoidance).

Bugbears may live in their own tribes, especially in the remote Sword Coast North, but are more often loners, or live in pairs and trios, and may adventure with hobgoblins; in any case, they tend to have little use for surnames or even tribal names.

So here are some typical goblin female given names:
Arryka, Bela, Carra, Duika, Flarra, Guldra, Hornra, Jarakra, Klorra, Maara, Nurra, Oloa, Pulgra, Qlara, Ruusra, Surra

And here are some typical goblin male given names:
Buirak, Claeth, Darg, Flark, Goruk, Gurk, Hurk, Ithyk, Juk, Lurg, Morlg, Nurruk, Surk, Thulk, Ulgut, Varruk

Here are some typical hobgoblin female given names: Aiijra, Brukarra, Durrarra, Falora, Galrakka, Horlgurla, Ieirysk, Jlakka, Kalathka, Moragh, Nurkarra, Orlurkra, Peirkeir, Rakra, Tsarakra, Vururka

Here are some typical hobgoblin male given names: Burruk, Dulluk, Helgrak, Karrag, Luug, Murakh, Orruk, Rurkurl, Skult, Sorrakh, Turrusk (“Tusk”), Urgram, Vorog/Vorogh, Vulk, Yuthuk, Zuruk

Here are some typical bugbear female given names: Arrelkra, Coruzkra, Draylkuu, Eirendruu, Felrulkra, Gouruskk, Halavrakra, Jussurra, Kelvurra, Mauroekuu, Narlgramra, Orolkuu, Paerykk, Qulruu, Rulstra, Surulka

And finally, here are some typical bugbear male given names: Bulruglak, Calaglorm (“Calag”), Elgkryn, Forogg, Gorunkh, Gurrek, Hurrvulkh, Karlrankh, Korrak, Kulgor, Irunn, Jorrk, Orulk, Rulktur (“Rulk”), Sagrakh, Yurturlg
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  16:54:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Netheril's military:

@William21Strong

What were the military forces of ancient Netheril like? Were they pure spellcasters - because of their pride surrounding magic - or did they have other kinds of troops as well? Favorite tactics? What ranks might they have had?

@TheEdVerse

The ancient Netherese were NOT monolithic. The cities they created were very different from each other, intentionally so, and so were their military forces. Some used their "underclass" of workers, some captured and enslaved, some built the equivalent of battlebots, some captured, bred, and modified-for-more-fearsome-natural-weapons beasts (the equivalent of up-gunned wardogs), and so on.

Many gamers immediately want to know rank structures, because they're thinking in terms of professional standing armies career soldiers). That might fit a handful of Netherese cities, but not most of them. They were interested in new tech and magic innovations, changing their lives. Fighting was a fleeting necessary nuisance when someone/something got in their way or inconvenienced/defied them.

So they were like all sorts of different military forces, from howling mobs with a few flying artificers above them hurling spells, to monster-equivalents of war elephants with junior mages aplenty riding them hurling spells, to elite warrior bodyguards forming human wedges protecting "battlemasters" armed with arsenals of rods, staves, wands, and rings they unleash in all directions, to flying wyvern mage-cavalry, and on and on. ;}

In other words, a DM can hurl ANYTHING at PCs. ;}
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  16:54:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Netherese, Sembian, and Cormyrean names:

@cali_keftiu

Have any tips or resources for making names feel Realmsian while still being distinct? I’m scared my Sembians, Dalesfolk, Cormyrans, and Netherese will all blend together in my players’ minds!

@TheEdVerse

Over the years, I’ve addressed this topic several times, at great length, with long lists of names. There’s no way those’ll fit Twitter’s constraints, even if I had the time.

So let’s generalize, update, and stereotype. ;}

Netherese rarely use surnames. Given names use double-a constructions, end in ‘ol’ more than any of the other peoples you list, often begin with M or include ‘oun’ or 'aun.'

Male examples: Eirol, Mlaarol, Naraeyn, Orthol, Yulvaun.

Female examples: Althyroun, Aelroune, Cathaele, Ethree, Haele, Jounraele, Kalathe, Maeraele, Nyrindral, Noeene, Olone, Ryndra, Saaraunra, Tylue, Uele (pronounced “Oo-ell”), Vyruil, Woave, Yakla, Yariil, Zoale, Zoare, Zorele.

Many Cormyreans have portmanteau surnames (Breakwood, Ironwinter, Summergate) and one or two syllable ‘plain’ given names. They can and should blur into Dalesfolk, who have very similar names. One exception: many Dalesfolk don’t use surnames, but rather descriptors: Brace the Miller, Brace of North Farm, Brace Longshanks. Those who’ve traveled have often adopted a short form of their dale’s name (Feather, Mistle, Shadow) as a surname.

Male given names: Belgor, Brace, Bran, Corl, Daern, Dorn, Engor, Farl, Foreth, Garth, Harl, Ivarn, Jeth, Joran, Landryn, Lorn, Maerand, Marl, Narn, Noke, Owyn, Randal, Randral, Robrorn, Rorn, Tal, Tanth, Taran, Vran, Wend.

Female given names: Alys, Bondra (usually “Bonnie”), Bryndra, Cathnae, Darthra, Dove, Eveene, Filfarra, Genice, Imdue, Jansra, Joyra, Kathyl, Korva, Marra, Nansyl, Pipra (“Pip”), Sarue, Soora, Tana, Tala, Tansy, Vae, Zora.

Sembia has soared in wealth and pride over the last few centuries, and many of its folk have adopted new and grander surnames and given names, trying to make themselves sound dashingly important. Some use two surnames (usually hyphenated).

Sample newly-invented Sembian surnames: Alavondor, Barontor, Clarandal, Dauncrown, Dragonhumbler, Galashen, Goldcloak, Kordrivvar, Maerimmon, Ondravar, Sardar, Tarlroyal, Tazrilysk, Tulcont, Vorauth, Wyndarr, Zunderzorn.

Sembian male given names: Aldan, Alvaerus, Andor, Andarl, Andorl, Avrel, Boldyn, Cathal, Corandor, Dalandar, Elbastion, Farntrond, Galagar, Halvond, Indrus, Jathar, Ontar, Prendryk, Roakyn, Saldvur, Toroke, Torvil, Varandor.

Sembian female given names: Barantra, Coeluthmra, Darla, Emsharandra, Filfidelra, Galiyra (pronounced “Gal-LIE-rah”), Haelra, Letrythria, Lornra, Maura, Norone, Raedurla, Telshara, Vorovelarra, Warundra, Yalauntra, Zalorla.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  16:55:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Shalane of Taerloon:

@gkrashos

Hi Ed! Was just doing some Realmslore trawling and had a re-read of your "All About Elminster" article in Dragon #110. I came across the reference to "Shalane of Taerloon". Is there anything you can tell me about him/her? Where was "Taerloon"? Cheers.

@TheEdVerse

Hi! Shalane is a female human, who hailed from a port called Taerloon on a large continent far WSW of Chult (S of Laerakond). I really should write about it sometime. ;}
#Realmslore

@gkrashos

Yes, yes you should. The Old Mage certainly got around in his youth!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  16:56:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the Chosen being weaker:

@Robert99843906

Is the constant mentioning how the Chosen are now weaker your way of simulating how in 5e wizards are less powerful than pre-Spellplague? Or is it a deeper issue about Mystra deciding that she's had enough of wizards' shenaningans and time to put a leash on them?

@TheEdVerse

The former, and the "stepping back from mortal affairs" of all gods, post-Sundering (both internal Wizards design decisions, as the game evolves).

Mystra promotes magic use for all; the only wizards' shenanigans she'd be against are mages keeping magic from others.

@Robert99843906

Thanks! I bet she did not approve much of what Larloch tried to do in Herald either ;-) Which brings me to another question - here and there I've seen people mention him having a deal with Mystra that allowed him use of 10lvl magic - was this true? Surely not after Herald :)

@TheEdVerse

No, it's not true. As in: Larloch has a deal with Mystra about what he won't try, so she'll leave him alone.

Larloch has many, many liches serving him, so formidable massed power of arcane magic he can direct. He's also studied more magic, and for longer, than almost all living mortals, and so knows alternatives to the Weave = ways around Mystra. So he can work truly mighty magics in other ways. Which is why the Srinshee snatching him out of the Realms with her.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  16:56:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the in-setting written tales of the Knights of Myth Drannor

@icequeenerika

my PCs are patterning themselves after the Knights of Myth Drannor, their Esparran hometown heroes. Were any mass-market texts written about the Knights’ adventures? (We’re in the Year of the Prince, but of course I can adapt.)

@TheEdVerse

Not that quickly, no, but Florin’s rescue of the King (and the awarding of the adventuring band charter) was the subject of a chapbook entitled LOYAL VALOR IN THE FOREST that was popular reading around the Forest Kingdom, and has been locally reprinted in Espar many times (so it’s always available in shops there). Eventually, some Harpers wrote some simplified, censored (of Harper matters and Zhent intrigues, not sex or dirty words) chapbooks about the Knights: SHADOWDALE DEFEATS THE DARK HAND OF ZHENTIL KEEP, THE KNIGHTS OF MYTH DRANNOR: HEROES FOR OUR TIMES, and THE TONGUE OF TORM: INSULTS AND CLEVER COMMENTS FOR THE TRAIL.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  16:57:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the Weave:

@Mercurius_c

Is Mystra the goddess of the Weave of the whole multiverse#65292;or she is just the Weavemaster of Toril?The phb says“The spellcasters of the Forgotten Realms call it the Weave and recognize its essence as the goddess Mystra.”

Can I understand it as:There is only one Weave in the multiverse,and wizards of the Toril named the only Weave Mystra?Or it is:The different worlds have different Weavemasters,and they rule the Weave of their own worlds?

@TheEdVerse

I'd put it another way:

Toril and all other worlds have multiple ways of accessing the energies of each world. And usually call the non-mechanical, non-engineering ways of accessing those energies "magic."

ONE of the ways on Toril is arcane magic (in D&D, wizard and sorcerer spells), and those who have the Gift (ability to wield arcane magic, which they call the Art) or study arcane magic (sages) refer to their way of accessing the energies as "the Weave." The Weave IS Mystra, the goddess of magic, and the Weave only extends throughout Realmspace (Toril and moons and the void/heavens around them). Other worlds have other ways of accessing energies, and may have their own equivalents of the Weave (not identical, and not governed by Mystra) or may not. Abeir likely has an equivalent, because it's the sister world of Toril, so similar and even sometimes (the Sunderings) contiguous with Toril, so that elements of the two worlds get swapped, but Weave-based spells don't work on Abeir; but innate spellcasting abilities do. I.e. the world energies are similar enough that magical effects can be near-duplicated, but not how they're brought about.

So in theory, a powerful archwizard from Toril would have to start all over learning how to work magic on Abeir, and if no developed system of working arcane magic, they may never hit upon how to create magical effects on Abeir, or may spend the rest of their lives experimenting and making very little headway.

In theory, all worlds MIGHT have their own Weaves (under various names) and their own gods of magic, or not. "Weavemasters" is a term I coined back in the 1990s for anyone who'd mastered the Weave (understanding its workings enough to not need the trappings of arcane magic like material, somatic, and verbal components), so they could work magic by silent act of will, rather than conventional casting. Accomplished, experienced Weavemasters (like most of the Chosen of Mystra) can think of what they want to do, then mentally call on the Weave to do it. So they can work magic when tied up, gagged, and so on, when traditional casters would be rendered helpless. They control the Weave only so much as they call upon it, and so are not the same as a deity of magic who is the Weave (e.g. Mystra) or who governs the Weave.

So Mystra IS the Weave within Realmspace only, and is greater than a Weavemaster. Other worlds have other systems of magic, and even Toril has other systems of magic (divine magic, for example). Most other systems of magic use the Weave for convenience, but need not do so (travel from real-world place to real-world place is easier using the existing road system, but could be accomplished, in many cases, by not using the existing road system).
#Realmslore

@VikGray

I wonder if arcane healing can replace divine healing or divine one is stronger. Players ask me why the realms need gods at all, and due to ky lack of experience I just say that divine magic gives acess to the healing services that are really usefull so gods have aome use

@TheEdVerse

We know from existing spells and recorded usages of spellfire that arcane magic can indeed heal, but divine magic does it at lower spell levels and at less cost, so divine magic is specialized for healing.

And the Realms need gods because some mortals in the Realms believe the Realms needs gods.

It's like having clocks and calendars. Can we live without them? Yes, but some of us have decided we need them in our lives, so we have them.
#Realmslore

@TruthSalvo

"Even Toril has other systems of magic (divine magic, for example)"

Wasn't it a point of contention during the Time of Troubles that Mystra was blocking the other God's access to magic? Wouldn't this mean Divine is just the Weave funneled through a god to their followers?

@TheEdVerse

You recall the ToT correctly. Divine magic customarily uses the Weave as the conduit, because (like an existing real-world road system) it's the fastest, easiest, most high-capacity way. But there are other ways (real-world web of railroads): place magic, table magic, etc. that I put into Realmslore at the beginning. So Mystra stopped the other deities in their tracks by denying them Weave access TEMPORARILY. They all then had to activate their alternatives. Raging.

And Mystra paid for that.
#Realmslore

@djtigon

@TheEdVerse in the past 20 min you've touched on both the weave and other conduits (ToT mystra denying access to the weave to dieties) & the netherese. So, We know that as of Karsas Folly, magic above level 9 was cut off from spellcasters. Is it true that this is only applies to individual spell casters and that a group of archmagi or a coven of witches or a cabal of warlocks could achieve 10th level or higher by a concurrently cast ritual or one that was cast in cooperative 'pieces' so to speak by multiple casters?

Additionally are level 10+ spells also cut off from extra planar beings such as Archdevils, Demon Princes, or super ancient beings such as the Oracle of Ellyn'taal who knew of these magics, but it's no longer a mere mortal?

@TheEdVerse

Ao cut off access through the Weave to spells above a certain power level (9th level in Torilian arcane magic terms) after the Folly of Karsus the over-reaching mortal. This means that more powerful spells fail upon casting when they access the Weave; it doesn’t matter who casts them (so the spells of gods, archdevils, demon princes would fail, when cast into Realmspace, out of Realmspace, or within Realmspace).

IF those spells use the Weave.

There are rituals and magic systems that don’t use the Weave, but the archmagi, covens of witches or hags, cabals of warlocks, and so on DO use the Weave in their rituals. Like the transplanted-to-Abeir wizards of Toril I mentioned in my earlier lore reply, such individuals would have to learn, or invent, an entire new system of magic to circumvent the Weave, and this would be hard for them without an expert tutor, because what they’re used to, which influences how they’d experiment and innovate, IS using the Weave; they’d have to go against all instinct and learned behavior. Like one of us getting behind the wheel of a vehicle and overcoming our learned tendencies to steer with the steering wheel and accelerate or brake using the pedals...because this new vehicle steers with taps of the peddles and accelerates or brakes by turning the wheel.

Do-able, but I anticipate many spectacular crashes.
#Realmslore

@Greysil_Tassyr

Wait -- *AO* is the one that banned those spells? So Mystra's Ban, as we've known it for so long, was actually Ao's ban?

@TheEdVerse

Yes. We know it in the Realms as Mystra's Ban because of priestly teachings (propaganda). "Regular folk" know nothing of Ao, but everyone knows about the goddess of magic.

At the time the Ban was enacted, Mystryl was in no condition to ban anything, and Mystra didn't exist yet.
#Realmslore

@vengeful_jarl

Would this be similar to things like blood magic? I remember seeing things on @FRWiki years ago about things like candleagic in older editions. Honestly thought that sounded great.

@TheEdVerse

Yes. Blood magic (censored out of the published Realms due to TSR's fears that there'd be gory real-world experiments, and lawsuits), candle magic, table magic, and more. I deliberately wanted magic to be so vast and varied that even "rules-lawyer" players couldn't remember it all at the gaming table, which would lead to a better roleplaying experience, as opposed to metagaming. (Memorizing spell details, limits of magic, and so on, to "beat" the DM and "win" the game. There was too much of that in early D&D play.)
#Realmslore

@Jake_A_Reed

So are Epic Level spells less powerful than old school 10th level spells?

@TheEdVerse
Some are, but some are as powerful. See p43 of LOST EMPIRES OF FAERUN.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  19:23:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the Year of Twelve Warnings:

@hexcrawl

1494 DR in Faerun is the Year of Twelve Warnings.

Q for you: What are the 12 warnings?

(Do they warn of 12 different things? Or are they 12 different ways of warning about the same thing?)

@lukey_baby86

That seems like a question for the great @TheEdVerse

I just checked the forgotten realms wiki and it doesnt say much

@TheEdVerse

The warnings are about twelve different things. They will take several forms (not several each, but a different form for each): direct divine utterances from temple altars, or signs or portents that can be interpreted in various ways, and may well be misunderstood until “after the fact.”

In the Realms, a “sign” is something anyone can see who’s in the vicinity, and that lasts long enough for many folk to witness, like the water in a harbor changing hue markedly, or a sunset dominated by six bright stars when usually those stars aren’t visible through the light of the setting sun, or a rain from the sky of fish or frogs or locusts.

Whereas a “portent” is something more fleeting, like unusual observed behavior: a candle is lit and flies upwards and consumes itself, or poured water “falls” upwards until a jug is emptied, or someone walking across a room levitates unexpectedly for a few moments.

(Note that in our real world, these definitions are less precise.)

The problem with almost all predictive uses of the Roll of Years is that year-names may hint at major things or very minor things, without distinguishing between them. And like all omens, there may be great disagreement over the meanings of what’s observed, until the true meaning becomes obvious (“too late”). I’m reiterating this because such disputes almost always arise, as clergies compete to promote the ‘right’ interpretation that increases the importance of ‘their’ deity, and may prevent or overshadow useful predictions (so the actions of adventuring PCs may make a difference). If a deity momentarily possesses the mind of a mortal to make them ‘speak in tongues’ (utter words in a language not their own) or in a voice or manner not usual for them, it bespeaks urgency, when a god can foresee something the god very much wants prevented. Note that in the Realms, the gods are NOT infallible; they can foresee little better than attentive mortals can. In other words, a god can see out of the eyes of many of their own priests, paladins, and sworn zealots if they want to, put together those observations, and so predict better than any lone mortal. It does NOT mean gods can “see the future.” They’re just better anticipators.
#Realmslore

@VikGray

Even Savras? How divination works then if theres no "seeing into the future" in any form from a god?

I just can guess the future is too variable to directly point at one and only possibility

@TheEdVerse

Savras has always been worshipped as a god of divination and fate, but this was a way by his clergy of making him seem vital and important. He has really always been all about uncovering and clearly communicating the truth.

By clearly seeing the true natures of all beings, and how things work in the world, Savras was better at anticipating outcomes and therefore what would most likely happen in the future than other deities, and this was seen as being paramount at divination, so he attracted the worship of diviners, and became the divine patron of divination. Mortals have feet of clay; deities in the Realms have feats of clay. ;}
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  19:24:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Torog, the King That Crawls:

@ThatGuyFitch

As I prepare for my exploration if the Lower Dark, a name rises from the depths that concerns me. What is known of the being known as Torog, the King that Crawls. Some say that the imprisoned god still is active, others say he has faded from existence, a horror myth.

@TheEdVerse

I can do no better than bring you the words of Elminster, who saith: “Little seen though he be, beneath Faerûn, ye would be wise to assume the maimed and suffering King That Crawls, crawls still.”
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000