Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Ed Greenwood on Twitter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32857 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2020 :  16:26:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On reincarnation:

Feb 1, 2020

@MisrulesTheDay

Good Master Ed! Other than the eponymous spell, what are the circumstances under which a soul might reincarnate in the Realms? Is that something that happens?

@TheEdVerse

It is, though not often. Sometimes it occurs due to a curse or magic item ability or ‘hanging’ (cast in a spot, waiting for a future passersby to affect) spell operating on a dead being.

More often, however, it’s because a deity wants that soul to live on to complete a task or attempt something. Not that they’ll necessarily communicate that desire directly to the reincarnated being, who may blunder along.
#Realmslore

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32857 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2020 :  16:27:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the Eveningstar Gorge:

Feb 1, 2020

@Sartana87

Hi @TheEdVerse! Here's my question : How high is the Eveningstar Gorge? I wonder if a PC could climb it (or monsters attack from it eh eh)? And are both sides of the gorge even? Many thanks.

@TheEdVerse

It depends on where in the Gorge you are. Right at the cliff-face where it ends (as far south as it goes), it's around 140 feet high, with both sides of the gorge climbable but dangerous, because pieces of the soft limestone can break off when being climbed and hurtle down to the bottom of the gorge below, with a climber, to land on the rubble of past "cracks and falls." The Gorge gets shallower as you traverse it north (past the entrance to the Haunted Halls) into the Stonelands, to where the stream that carved it rises (to the surface), so at its head, up in the Stonelands bedrock, it's about two feet deep. It's soft limestone with a hard dolomite (harder limestone) "cap" atop it, forming a plateau that is the southern edge of the Stonelands. At this edge, atop the cap on both sides, are grazing pastures for sheep kept by Evenar (Eveningstar-resident) farmers. There are "pillars" of rock that over the centuries have been separated from the cliffs on both sides of the gorge by pieces of the side walls breaking away to leave them isolated, particularly at the mouth of the gorge on the west side (the temple side). This happens in the real world: every winter, water that's seeped down into the limestone freezes, expands, shoves the sides of the crevices it's seeped into apart a tiny bit, and over time (many winter freezeups), the rock splits far enough to topple away, exposing a new cliff-face and widening the gorge.

So, yes, the sides are climbable (with some danger), and goat-track paths zig-zag up those sides to reach the clifftop pastures, and there's ample room in the long, long gorge for monsters to lurke, children to play, lovers to tryst, Zhents to have clandestine meeting with each other, peddlers to camp if they lack the coins to stay at an inn or stables, and so on.
#Realmslore

@Sartana87

Is "the stream" the Starwater or another source of water? Sorry, just to be sure.

@TheEdVerse

It's the Starwater. Which rises as a tiny spring, and grows as it descends the Gorge.
Oh, and the sides of the Gorge are rough and irregular, but very close to the same height as each other in most places.

@Sartana87

Oh ok the warm waterfall is the source of the Starwater. Thanks a lot !

@TheEdVerse

Yes, but is joined by much seepage out of both sidewalls of the gorge (i.e. rainwater and meltwater draining down through the plateau that is the local Stonelands) as it descends; many tiny springs augment the main flow.
#Realmslore

@Sartana87

That's crystal clear. Again, thanks a lot for your time.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32857 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2020 :  16:28:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On food preservation and street vending:

Feb 1, 2020

@jayeedgecliff

Sir @TheEdVerse, i was thinking a lot about ice magics due to my own party having an unintended icy themed selection of gear.

Given the relative ubiquity of, at least, minor cantrippy magics how much do realmsians rely on refrigeration, or even just putting ice in a drink?

What I really started wondering is if any of the really major cities have noviciate magi or clerics or even just wild talents pushing around ice cream carts (bonus if there’s a tune), or if frozen yoghurt is enjoyed anywhere.

But then I also wondered if the likes of powerful ice mages or Wossname cold lady … priests with a culinary streak have invented anything unique. I mean b maybe there’re many health benefits for ogres nomming a gorgon blood slushie.

I’ve not got to time of troubles

In game yet if anything changes for any reasons due to that, or the Spellplague thing or whatever other Big Stuff is post ToT

As always, thanks a bunch for … everything.

… why do i suddenly have a vision of some Waterhavian selling eelcicles?

@TheEdVerse

Just as in our real world, most folk in the Realms can’t afford to hire magic, and can’t work their own (though many villages have local citizens who make a living employing their particular ‘wild talent’ to light fires or illuminate or whatever).

So they make use of ice-houses and cold cupboards and deep cellars (i.e. natural stone heat sinks and the ambient underground temperature) to keep things cool, combined with blocks of ice cut in winter and dragged into such places.

If they can afford the spells of local priests or wizards, they augment these arrangements with occasional cold magics in the worst rises of heat, to prevent food spoiling and loss of all ice and so on.

Usually this means the local temple (of any non-fire, non-smith deity, not just Auril) provides cold storage facilities in its own underground cellars (with priests casting cold spells in rota to keep things cold), and locals, for fees/offerings, come to fetch their own goods from said cold storage (priest brings to them, they don’t get to go down and rummage) or to buy cold-stored goods from the priests (like eel or fish laid in ‘in bulk’ by the temple, and maintained as a ‘feed the community’ store).

No, there are no carts except as delivery-carts in winter, when harbor ice can be used to keep cart contents cold. In other words, the carts rush goods to customers who order, they DON’T wander the streets playing tunes to attract passing shoppers. In Waterdeep, eelcicles ARE sold (as are fish, so you buy “coldsear silverfin” or “coldsear harbor eel”), but only in the cold depths of winter, and they’re made like this:

Eels netted, brought out of the sea, chopped into thumb-length or shorter segments, and cooked in sour wine or beer to cut their natural slime, then grilled (seared) with spices and herbs for a better taste, then dropped into shallow pans of frigid harbor water to be frozen into thin sheets of ice, then the customer comes to the Dock Ward shops where this is done with their own bucket, pay for the amount they want (it’s cheap: 1 cp buys a big bucket-full) then the proprietor chops the edge of a sheet with a hatchet, shovels the ice-and-eel shards into the customer’s bucket, and off they go (to dine in the warmth of their own home or rented lodging, when the ice thaws).

I’ve eaten eel, and lamprey, and can assure you that for my stomach at least, the cutting-the-slime AND searing with seasonings steps are highly necessary steps. We real-worlders would likely use a dry rub, as for steaks, for that grilling step. Enjoy!

(And if you don’t, well, the bucket you fetched the eel in is handy, for returning the eel to the wider world. Ahem.)
#Realmslore

@jayeedgecliff

About what i expected, sadly.

Oh well … so much for my vision’s a faerûnian 7-11 with a half-orc selling suspicious slurpees (mostly joking)
Thanks

@TheEdVerse

Heh. In the Realms, that half-orc would be more like Terry Pratchett's Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler selling his sausages; vending "mystery meat" handpies and sausages popularly rumored to be filled with missing pets and neighbours.

@jayeedgecliff

Oh! I never thought to ask that! Does Eveningstar or Suzail have not just Throat-esque vendors, but one as thoroughly (in)famous and Known. A Cormyrian CMOT Dibbler?

@TheEdVerse

Eveningstar doesn’t; anyone trying would likely starve (too rural a place to get much trade, when folk can readily buy handpies and sausages they trust from neighbours who make them, or eat their own).

Suzail has always had (in its westernmost, slum-like streets, nigh the docks) warehouses where shady thugs sell hot meat buns and sausages and handpies full of mystery meat, or mystery fish, or even openly (“dew-worm in a bun, 3 buns for a copper”). They were seldom half-orcs, but two down the years have been (the big-jawed, amiable Thelve Harrdra in the early 1300s DR, and the squinting, point-nosed “Ratface” Rurdur, no known last name, in the later 1300s).

Waterdeep has always had street carts in Trades Ward, Castle Ward, South/Southern Ward and especially Dock Ward, stalls in The Market, and warehouses in Dock Ward with serving-windows where ‘mystery meat’ food of various sorts was dispensed, including the infamous “offal on a stick” (usually fried intestines of oxen, or goose livers, or skinned fried rat or plucked fried harbor gulls). Half-orc vendors are rare because it’s always better for sales to have a good-looking young human lad or lass hawking the wares, but half-orc cooks and butchers (in the back rooms) aren’t. Perhaps the most infamous is Cooth the Cleaver, who flourished—if that’s the right word—in the 1320s to 1340s DR (but was found floating in the harbor, gutted like a fish and throat-slit, one spring morning in 1343 DR).

Later half-orc butchers and cooks of Dock Ward include Ruegrel Rausdyn, Ilvart Lunth, and (1470s to date) Auszklurt “the Awful.”
#Realmslore

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 Feb 2020 16:29:14
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1018 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2020 :  11:16:19  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He just coughed up some info on the Wyvernspurs and Immersea in the 1490s which was delicious. I can post later if no one else does!
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1018 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2020 :  15:17:37  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AND - he confirmed Alias is immortal and still alive in 5th edition era. YAY
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Master of Realmslore

Colombia
1492 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2020 :  16:19:57  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll appreciate it if you post those tweets here!

He also wrote something for Planescape as well, talking about the nature of the World-Dragon (Io/Asgorath/etc.)

Long ago, in the distant past, they fell into decay. The philosopher’s path... The river of glory... Even the saints resting in the darkness rise up without response and block the way...
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1018 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2020 :  19:56:57  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@TheEdVerse
Can you give us any update on the Wyvernspur clan? How is Immersea doing?

1)
In the 1490s DR, House Wyvernspur flourishes, both financially and in numbers and the personal achievements of its members.
Having passed this family to my good friends Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak back in 1986 (real-world ating), I leave Wyernspur lore details to them, though I can mention in passing that Suzail currently (1490s DR) knows an adventurous young man named Everend Paerevel Wyvernspur, and he has slightly older two sisters who are far more successful and farfaring as adventurers, Lyriasara (“Leera”) and Asmarra (“Mara”), and at least two younger sisters who seldom if ever visit Suzail. Not to mention several uncles who were rather rakish in their day Immersea I can wax slightly more eloquent about.
It, too, flourishes, its winter population over 4,000 strong, and swelling in summer by over 800, due to wealthy social climbers in both Arabel and Suzail who built or have rented homes along the shores of the Wyvernwater that they visit for recreational purposes in good summer weather. The town flourishes, now boasting many potters, weavers, and publishers (though the odorous tanneries and papermaking mills are elsewhere), and has expanded greatly to the east, along both Wyvernwater shores, and a little to the west, but up and down Calantar’s Way. The Wyvernspurs remain the most prominent local nobility, and prosperous, locally influential non-noble Immer clans include the families of Beldrar, Coldreth, Fostren, Ghelk, Perinpost (a him family), Sagrask, and Tranther. Local fishing has declined as catches have become smaller, likely due to overfishing, and this has resulted in some fisherfolk turning their hand to other work, and at least one, the Ghelks, starting a successful crab hatchery, in a shoreline warehouse just south of the town docks.

Replying to @TheEdVerse
Can you point me in the right direction to find out the fate of Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb's Alias and Finder Wyvernspur? Or how to contact them or someone else to ask?

You can read the tale of Finder (his journey towards godhood), in the TSR-published novels FINDER’S BANE and TYMORA’S LUCK (both by Jeff and Kate). I assume you’ve read their earlier novels AZURE BONDS, THE WYVERN’S SPUR, and SONG OF THE SAURIALS.
Their novel MASQUERADES tells of the further adventures of Alias. She’s immortal, and so still out in the world (and still a Harper), as are some of her clones created by Phalse.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32857 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2020 :  21:42:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

@TheEdVerse
Can you give us any update on the Wyvernspur clan? How is Immersea doing?

1)
In the 1490s DR, House Wyvernspur flourishes, both financially and in numbers and the personal achievements of its members.
Having passed this family to my good friends Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak back in 1986 (real-world ating), I leave Wyernspur lore details to them, though I can mention in passing that Suzail currently (1490s DR) knows an adventurous young man named Everend Paerevel Wyvernspur, and he has slightly older two sisters who are far more successful and farfaring as adventurers, Lyriasara (“Leera”) and Asmarra (“Mara”), and at least two younger sisters who seldom if ever visit Suzail. Not to mention several uncles who were rather rakish in their day Immersea I can wax slightly more eloquent about.
It, too, flourishes, its winter population over 4,000 strong, and swelling in summer by over 800, due to wealthy social climbers in both Arabel and Suzail who built or have rented homes along the shores of the Wyvernwater that they visit for recreational purposes in good summer weather. The town flourishes, now boasting many potters, weavers, and publishers (though the odorous tanneries and papermaking mills are elsewhere), and has expanded greatly to the east, along both Wyvernwater shores, and a little to the west, but up and down Calantar’s Way. The Wyvernspurs remain the most prominent local nobility, and prosperous, locally influential non-noble Immer clans include the families of Beldrar, Coldreth, Fostren, Ghelk, Perinpost (a him family), Sagrask, and Tranther. Local fishing has declined as catches have become smaller, likely due to overfishing, and this has resulted in some fisherfolk turning their hand to other work, and at least one, the Ghelks, starting a successful crab hatchery, in a shoreline warehouse just south of the town docks.

Replying to @TheEdVerse
Can you point me in the right direction to find out the fate of Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb's Alias and Finder Wyvernspur? Or how to contact them or someone else to ask?

You can read the tale of Finder (his journey towards godhood), in the TSR-published novels FINDER’S BANE and TYMORA’S LUCK (both by Jeff and Kate). I assume you’ve read their earlier novels AZURE BONDS, THE WYVERN’S SPUR, and SONG OF THE SAURIALS.
Their novel MASQUERADES tells of the further adventures of Alias. She’s immortal, and so still out in the world (and still a Harper), as are some of her clones created by Phalse.

Huh. I'd assumed they'd be immortal, but Jeff Grubb dodged the question when I asked him at GenCon, one year.

Them being immortal means that the Waterdhavian one I ran with could still be around.

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1018 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2020 :  21:55:09  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Jeff left it open for discussion, let's go with Ed's take on it! :) Elminster did call her Finder's "immmortal vessel" in Azure Bonds when he blocks Finder from firing the crossbow at Phalse..and Ed and Elminster share a brain so...makes sense!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32857 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2020 :  23:04:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

If Jeff left it open for discussion, let's go with Ed's take on it! :) Elminster did call her Finder's "immmortal vessel" in Azure Bonds when he blocks Finder from firing the crossbow at Phalse..and Ed and Elminster share a brain so...makes sense!

Jeff Grubb basically said it depended on the story -- if the person writing it needed Alias and her sisters to be immortal, they were.

Given Flattery's seeming immortality, that it was something Finder would have been trying for, and that Cassana certainly would have wanted it, I would say that immortality makes sense. (A counter-argument, though, would be that immortality is rarely given out, and perhaps when the gods acted to let the vessels be truly sentient and able to reproduce, the "price" was a normal mortal lifespan. And since Cat and Giogi had kids, then the vessels can reproduce)

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Feb 2020 23:06:53
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Master of Realmslore

Colombia
1492 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2020 :  23:34:26  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About the Sign faction's symbol

@dmportella
@TheEdVerse Hi ed sorry to disturb I wanted to speak to Tim Beach one of the authors for Factol's Manifesto but i dont know how to contact him. I like to ask What is the symbol for the faction sign of one. I cant make up what the symbol is suppose to be. ty is advance

@TheEdverse
Nice work! That symbol is the All-Dragon, or the World-Dragon. To some it is Io, to others Asgorath, but to Signers it is the Wyrm that links and births all planes and cosmologies, and transforms one cosmology to another—and it is also THE Dragon, or the Self (as Signers believe “the world exists because the mind imagines it. Without the self, the multiverse ceases to be.”) The faction sigil depicts the All-Dragon flying/swimming in the aether of primal nothingness up to regard you (you = a Signer, member of the faction), meeting your eye, challenging you to join it, become one with it, and so dream and shape the multiverse.

Metagame: it is no coincidence that the magazine published by TSR was originally called “The Dragon.”
#Planescape

(And by "cosmologies" here I mean the Great Wheel, the World Tree, the World Axis, the crystal spheres we saw in Spelljammer, with the aether there being referred to as the phlogiston.)

--------

I had to post this. This is something I'm really interested in

Long ago, in the distant past, they fell into decay. The philosopher’s path... The river of glory... Even the saints resting in the darkness rise up without response and block the way...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000