Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Chelsinara, Exalted Yet Obscure
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2018 :  08:15:12  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So in the Oghma pamphlet that I released on DMsGuild, I combined two relatively obscure references.

In Faiths and Avatars (2e), there is an "early priestess" that is currently exalted by the priests of Oghma, and her symbol is even included on default priest robes - her name is Chelsinara, but no further lore other than what is mentioned is included.

In Prince of Lies (novel), Cyric sends an unnamed servant of Oghma from the Wise God's throne room to the Nine Hells in an off-page encounter. Cyric mentions that the servant stood in his way when everyone else fled, and implies that the servant would be able to get back on her own if she doesn't meet up with a greater Baatezu (devil).

The banished servant in Prince of Lies was never mentioned again after that chapter.

The servant was able to withstand the intimidating aura of a greater god.

The servant may be strong enough to deal with most devils by herself, and might be able to planeshift or find portals with her magic.

The servant was entrusted with watching over Oghma's throne room.

-----

I combined the name Chelsinara with the servant in Oghma's throne room, and made her the Seraph of Knowledge, Oghma's highest ranked angel. It felt appropriate because she's not mentioned as a god yet is still honored by Oghma's priests, and would have been long dead if she was an early priest. A mortal's soul ascended to the angelic ranks and eventually promoted to Seraph.

I've been trying to keep as close to canon lore as possible while providing reasonable gap fillers. I couldn't find any other mention of Chelsinara outside of Faiths and Avatars, so I bit the bullet and combined the name Chelsinara with the servant who was banished.

I thought this might be fun to share, since it's a relatively obscure reference that claims an integral part of a major deity's mythos in the world of Forgotten Realms.

If there actually is another reference to Chelsinara though, I would love to know about it.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2018 :  13:33:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn good find. I'm pasting the below just for reference on the discussion. One thing I'm noting in reading it though.... look at the actual imagery it creates. Priests wear a symbol on both breasts of a pair of hands cupping the breast with basically thumbs touching where the nipple would be?

Priestly Vestments
All priests of Oghma have the same ceremonial dress#151; -- white shirt and trousers with a vest of black and gold brocade. The shirt sleeves are wide, but tied at the wrists. The vests, known as kantlara, depict many glyphs, sigils, runes, and symbols of magical power, arcane meaning, and significance in various realms of Faerūn down through the ages. Such markings are sewn on by the wearer using gold braid. They may be of any sort and size and are displayed on any spot on the garment that the wearer desires. At any time a priest ascends a level, she or he usually sees the symbol to be sewn in a dream vision. Kantlara are thus personal and individual garments.

Priests who lose or are separated from their kantlara are allowed to use purple or crimson vests adorned with a simple scroll of Oghma on the back and the symbol of Chelsinara on both breasts. This symbol, named for an important early priestess of the god, consists of two cupped hands, fingers uppermost and thumbs touching. It means "I learn". It is the badge of Oghma used by all who worship him, both laity and clergy, to denote their membership among his faithful.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 09 Dec 2018 13:35:03
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000