Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 drugs in Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RogueAssassin
Learned Scribe

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  22:26:07  Show Profile  Visit RogueAssassin's Homepage Send RogueAssassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Torture problem is all a question of moral. Its the question of being ruthless to do good... would you kill an innocent child to cure a disease that kills hundreds of thousands of children every year?
Its just a perspective thing.
Would you let someone kill your child to save other children? Would you be the one to kill it? What if you were a person who had the disease and you were terminal? Would you use the cure knowing that an innoicent child died to make it?
Everyones idea of good or evil is different in the end.

-The ROgue

"Spirit. Its a Heros strength, a mothers resiliance, and the poor mans armor. It cannot be broken and it cannot be taken away. This i must belive"---Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  11:34:53  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

No, there are in FR. And in Garion's world, the drugs are never named. Only one part where some colors are mentioned.

Probably half the stuff they invent don't have names since they use berries/plants growing in their jungle. But the books does mention the effects of some of the narcotics like slowing the effects of aging, making various forms of poisons from the slow and painful to the feel-good slow acting to fast acting types, and mind affecting drugs.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  12:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, Sadi, Nyissa, and that little red box...

I don't believe the Nyissans are high 24-7(With the exception of Salmissra, or whatever her name is, I don't have my copies of any of the related tomes right now to check).

Also, doesn't Sadi relate a few times where and what his drugs were made from?
Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  19:15:42  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Salabasha

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I maintain that there is a degree of evil in the act, even if there is no lasting harm. Using chemicals to alter someone's behavior against their will, simply for information, is an evil act. It may be a minor bit of evil, and it may be to advance the causes of good, but it remains an evil thing.

And what happens if the drugs are used to extract information from one already evil, to say cure a disease that the one in question let loose or save a village from a band of marauders that the creature is associated with etc. etc.

You are still using chemicals to force someone to do something they'd not otherwise do. They are given no choice in the matter.

Even in your examples, I'd consider it to be an evil act. Sure, it's a minor evil, and it's in support of a worthy goal (in that situation, I would prolly do the same), but the means are evil.

quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Then is forcing anyone to do something against their will an evil act? At what point does it become right, rather than wrong?

Individual freedoms are very important. Any time you violate these, no matter the reason, it's an evil act. However, in some situations, it's a necessary evil. In Salabasha's examples, not violating the evil guy's freedoms is a greater evil than violating them.

Hello all, I am semi-back, and have a thing or two to say on this subject. First off, I do not believe using drugs to procure information from an interrogatee is necessarily evil, that it depends on the intent. Furthermore, if the intent is good, and they do use the drug, I also do not believe it is getting them to do something they are against doing. What you are doing is temporarily (or permanately, depending on the potency of the drug) altering their state of mind. This can possibly be compared to using diplomacy checks or intimidate checks. It results in the same end desire, just through slightly different means. Instead of using fear to get information, you are using a drug. You are changing their mind, just like you do when you use intimidate or diplomacy, the only differences is that it's on a more tangible level, and that the effectiveness of it may possibly be much more.

Nindyn vel'uss kyorl nind ratha thalra elyhinn dal lil alust
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  23:55:50  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, that argument goes well for "good intentions" but it doesn't for most of the time. That's why drugs like rohypnol are illegal in the Real World.

You need to make certain that your act is moral first. D&D isn't like the Real World. Good and evil are much more clearly defined. There's still grey areas, of course, but the setting precludes many things we would consider ambiguous. I'm not talking alignment charts here. This is the simple fact that D&D is, at its core, a war of Light versus Dark.

I think a lot of it is situation-based, so I'm not saying you have to have a hard and fast rule on things like interrogation drugs. If you're drugging the spy to find out when his Evil Overlord's Legions of Terror are going to arrive, fine. But if you're drugging the mayor to find where his stash of gold is, that's entirely different.

This can lead into "ends do not justify the means" arguments, and I admit that. However, even that statement has grey areas. You have to find a balance with your morals, as well as your character's.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2021 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000