Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 [Craig Vincent] My general thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Divinity
Seeker

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2018 :  00:03:40  Show Profile Send Divinity a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm creating this thread as a place I can post my cartography and various other 'stuff' as well as a place people can reach me with comments and questions. Please feel free to post here as you like.

So... I'm going to step into my some of my cartography. I looked through the code of conduct and it didn't say anything about not posting images, but, as of yet, I don't think I can recall any images ever being posted, so I'll keep it to posting links to everything; that seems to be the norm.

I'll start with some previous maps I've done and work into the current one I'm doing. A few of the previous ones I've done are my own realm, but I'll post links so you can at least see some of the styles I've used in the past, since, compared to most cartographers, I've not created too many maps.

Realm of Rhielōn
This is my own realm. It's based on the Forgotten Realms - as you'll be able to see. After some mapping of it, I mostly moved on, preferring to map areas of Faerūn.

Nordikana Continent
The central continent.

Trade Sea
The Trade Sea area of the Nordikana Continent. These are my favorite mountains. Unfortunately, I made them in a very long, complicated and destructive way that wasn't detailed. Doing them like this on a large scale would be terrible anyhow. My hope is I can replicate something similar using my current method of making mountains, however, so far, I've not been able to find just the right way.

Nation of Xortaal
A continent up in the northwest of the realm.

Forgotten Realms!

Alright, things you care about...

Cormyr 1
This was my first go at Cormyr. I've played nwn on a Cormyr persistent world since 2005 (though this specific edition was actually for another server where Cormyr was at war with Shade) so I have a lot of history in it. The map is based on Mike Schley's 4E map. This particular one has the 'dungeon' areas faded with emphasis on the war - purple being Cormyr and red being Shade. This was maybe the second map I ever made.

Cormanthor
This was another map I did for a server I briefly played on. I really like the cleanness of it.

Cormyr 2
This was my second attempt at Cormyr. I used the same style as the Cormanthor map. This was tailored to the server I've played on forever. It includes many server-canon locations and edits.

Faerūn+
This is a screen capture using the Windows snipping tool so the quality is bad. This is my current map! If you open the link and zoom in to 100%, that's at 12.5% in Photoshop. The map is based on the 3E map, however, there are lots of other changes. Unfortunately, I didn't realize how different a few main parts of this map are compared to other maps. Live and learn I guess.

Faerūn+ Details
This is another screen capture, again making things a bit blurry. This one has the terrain and some location labeling. White areas are consistently populated locations, yellow are generally unpopulated besides dungeon-like monsters. Once I finish locations, I'll head on to terrain names, as well as adding other locations I missed the first time through and road names. Lastly, I'll finish detailing the terrain, add bridges, etc. Part of me is content with the mountains, part of me wishes they'd look more like my previous ones. I have ideas on how to do it, but the work behind the changes makes me twitch so they'll probably stay.

So! There you are. Enjoy!

Divinity
Seeker

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2018 :  17:35:32  Show Profile Send Divinity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an update on my map at 50%. Currently in the Old Empires, in Unther heading into Chessenta.

https://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=112039&d=1544807686
Go to Top of Page

Divinity
Seeker

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2018 :  21:09:56  Show Profile Send Divinity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alrighty! About a month and a half and over 400 hours later... I've mostly labeled all the specific locations. I say 'mostly' because I'd like to look into more underwater locations in the Trackless Sea and Great Sea, place a few of the prominent Underdark locations, and I'm sure I'll come across less mainstream places as I continue through the next parts. Plus, I'm sure you guys will have lots of places that I don't show.

Until I started this map I didn't really realize just how subjective some of this is. There really are no real answers to some of the final locations of places and it's just a "this is the best spot with the information given". That said, I think this is one of the most accurate and detailed 3E maps so far. It does include places that would have existed retroactively. While the overall map shape is based on the 3E Faerūn map, there are places I used other maps when I didn't feel the 3E map worked right or it wasn't detailed enough.

While mapping maps is always the easiest, I tried to make sure I researched each location so it was placed as correctly as I could determine. In a few places this leads to some differences compared to other maps, however, other times I compromised when it was obvious that -every map- used a certain location despite some really old lore pointing to something else.

What's next? Labeling the geography. That should be far more straightforward! Here is where I'm at. This is at 75%

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HWEErtK8O_p6gJ1ajOZ9urx3fYopbkJA/view?usp=sharing

Generally, white means its inhabited by more than "monsters". Yellow is uninhabited and more dungeon-like.

I haven't made a key yet but it's not too hard to figure out. A couple explanations: Diamonds are single building locations, like inns or manor houses. Circles are settlements. Rings (hollow circles) are nomadic tribes or realms without noted settlements. Squares are realm-like or kingdom-like Strongholds - like Mithril Hall. ^ are places that mostly comprise of caverns or tunnels. x are site locations.

I'm happy to hear comments and locations that I've missed or misplaced - you can post in this thread. Enjoy!

-Craig

EDIT: Nimbral will have a frame around it since it would normally fall outside the boundary of the map.

Edited by - Divinity on 22 Dec 2018 21:34:18
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5636 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2018 :  01:15:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Impiltur: Sarshel not Sarchel and it's the Fortress of Mal, not Mir Fortress.

Dales: Anathar's Dell near Tilverton, not Anther's.

Moonsea: Where is Ghaethlauntar, the mountain in the Moonsea North?

Sword Coast: Larloch's lair, Warlock's Keep?

Vilhon: It's Elupar not Elpur on the Deepwash.

Unapproachable East: Ed's original maps have Inkra, not Inkar on the Golden Way. Also it's Tezir-on-the-Marsh not just Tezir.

Great map.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 23 Dec 2018 01:52:26
Go to Top of Page

Divinity
Seeker

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2018 :  05:57:04  Show Profile Send Divinity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

In Impiltur: Sarshel not Sarchel and it's the Fortress of Mal, not Mir Fortress.

Dales: Anathar's Dell near Tilverton, not Anther's.

Moonsea: Where is Ghaethlauntar, the mountain in the Moonsea North?

Sword Coast: Larloch's lair, Warlock's Keep?

Vilhon: It's Elupar not Elpur on the Deepwash.

Unapproachable East: Ed's original maps have Inkra, not Inkar on the Golden Way. Also it's Tezir-on-the-Marsh not just Tezir.

Great map.

-- George Krashos

Well, those are annoying spelling mistakes. I hope that's uncommon. Thanks. They're fixed.

Ghaethlauntar is way above the cutoff of my map. Its north of the Frozen Forest, which is north of Abbey Mountains - where my map stops.

All the maps use "Warlock's Crypt" which is what I used. It's there at the Troll Hills.

I did try to revert to Ed's naming when there was a conflict unless every other notation was the non-ed spelling, then I did not use his spelling for the sake of confusion. In both cases, I tried to note the alternate spelling under the name I used so people are aware. In this case, Inkra, as far as I can tell is only used on Ed's original map. Spellbound, The Horde Campaign and the wikis use 'Inkar'. I didn't note the other spelling though so I will.

Thank you for the comments, I appreciate the help! The more accurate I can make it the better.

-Craig
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Master of Realmslore

Colombia
1391 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2018 :  10:37:33  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are yo planning to do an updated map? For what I can see, this map is pre-Spellplague.

It's really good, anyways.

Long ago, in the distant past, they fell into decay. The philosopher’s path... The river of glory... Even the saints resting in the darkness rise up without response and block the way...
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4805 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2018 :  10:43:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stay pre spellplague, it's much better. How would you feel about adding non canon locations. I note you have a few from Scott Bennie unofficial old empires enhancement.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Divinity
Seeker

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2018 :  17:05:22  Show Profile Send Divinity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Are yo planning to do an updated map? For what I can see, this map is pre-Spellplague.

It's really good, anyways.

I'm not planning to do move past the Spellplague. I don't feel like there's enough lore for the later timelines. From 1E to 3E things aren't too different so you can use a lot of the same information. 4E turns it all upside down and I don't think there's enough information to reliably detail what happened to everything. The 4E Faerūn map is incredibly bleak and empty. That's great for telling stories, maybe since a DM can make things up, but for maps, its hard. 5E builds off that while also reverting in places, and again, it makes detailing hard unless it's done with a designer in tow. I always felt 3E was the safest as its where a lot of people play. Additionally, a 3E map can go a long ways towards 4E and 5E by providing a base for applying the changes that happened in those editions, whereas moving backwards is more difficult. At least those are my thoughts!

Thank you,

-Craig
Go to Top of Page

Divinity
Seeker

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2018 :  17:27:35  Show Profile Send Divinity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Stay pre spellplague, it's much better. How would you feel about adding non canon locations. I note you have a few from Scott Bennie unofficial old empires enhancement.

Overall, I've really tried to stick with canon lore, however, this has deviated in a couple spots. The first was the addition of my own created location in the Dragonmere. It's only a single addition that doesn't compete with any other lore. Another was using some places detailed in the 2003 Old Empires 'update' by Scott Bennie. I decided that since he was the original author of Old Empires that I'd use his information. I didn't consider that to be much different than taking information from these forums that have been released by published designers and authors despite not appearing in an official capacity. So, my answer is "It depends on the information and the source". If someone had information about a location that was never officially detailed well, and it tends to be what everyone uses as 'source', I might consider it. But I'm avoiding most of it.

-Craig
Go to Top of Page

Divinity
Seeker

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2019 :  03:50:37  Show Profile Send Divinity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Geography labeled! Next are rivers, mountain peaks, and roads.

There are corrections to make but due to doing each part in a new file its annoying to go back and forth. I'll make most corrections at the end. That said, let me know if you see mistakes, especially misplaced locations or wrong names.

Here's the map so far at about 80%.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_TIGJcVB9sU0O9gvp82ZcOqG6scTZh6L/view?usp=sharing
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000