Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elven courts and tombs
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mi-Go
Acolyte

Finland
10 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2018 :  13:53:40  Show Profile Send Mi-Go a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met!

My particular band of merry fools have set foot into the Ardeep Forest and will soon reach the House of Long Silences. I have trouble imagining what they might be finding due to lack of information, hence I turn to you for help, good Scribes.

What with the House having been a great castle once that housed the local elven kings and queens and their courts, how would elven castles differ from the usual ones we are accustomed to seeing in Medieval festivals?

To my knowledge the House also has a set of catacombs beneath it for the greatest of local elven rulers. However, I can find very little info on how do elves inter/remember their dead and how would an elven tomb differ from human tombs.

Could someone postulate an answer or perhaps point me towards the right direction?

Archmage of Nowhere
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2018 :  17:33:43  Show Profile Send Archmage of Nowhere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Take this with a grain of salt as I cant flip my book open right now to verify but on page 142 of the Lost Empires of Faerun there should be a snippet for the Ardeep section that goes like something like

House of Long Silences
A facade of pale white stone separates the echoing halls of this ancient, ruined manor from the surrounding stands of cedars and blueleafs. The House of Long Silences encompasses a nexus of two-way portals, including links to an abandoned watchtower in the eastern reaches of the Trollbark Forest, the undercroft of the Temple of Labelas in the ruined city of Mhiilamniir, and a subterranean grotto beneath the Snakewood. In addition, a one-way portal from Evermeet exits in the neighboring woods. Lord Elorfindar Floshin, (NG male sun elf fighter/wizard/eldrich knight), whose estate encompasses the lands between Daggerford and Ardeep forest, has created a web of warding spells in the manor and the surrounding woodlands that alerts him to intrusions.

There might be some inspiration for how you want to handle your tomb portion in The Complete Book of Elves, as I don't think there is a specific group of elven traditions you are looking for, it might be helpful to just take a look at a more all-encompassing source like that to get the creativity flowing.

as for how elven castles differ from Medieval ones I am kinda unsure. I havnt seen a architecture focused information source I don't believe but I will take a look later and report back if I find something.

Edited by - Archmage of Nowhere on 29 Aug 2018 17:34:53
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2018 :  19:35:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd assume that elven castles wouldn't be square and blocky, they'd flow and incorporate terrain features, appearing to be something more grown than built. There would likely be more decorative features, and the castle would be stronger than its appearance would suggest.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11689 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2018 :  20:15:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
elven castles probably were using magic to keep themselves together to a degree, but when that magic begins to fail after time passes, I'd bet that they fall apart pretty fast. I see elves as wanting things to return to nature quickly if they aren't still using it.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
952 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2018 :  20:21:18  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DMGR2 - Castle Guide had about a page on elven castles in it from back in the 2E era. That said, if you do a search on elf castle in Google, there are several neat images out there to be inspired by. Likewise, Jackson's Hobbit and Lord of the Rings movie adaptations of the books shows three different elf realms (Galadriel, Elrond, and Thranduil's) that can also be used as inspiration. Thranduil's, in particular, has a more war castle mentality IMO. All of these images share some similarities with the info in DMGR2.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
952 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2018 :  20:23:50  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also do a search for images of Myth Drannor and you'll see some others that might be of interest.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2018 :  20:47:39  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The house of long silences made an appearance in novel form...

Read the novel Forsaken House by Richard Baker... the house is in the first few chapters.

Also, the House's guardian/caretaker is Elorfindar Floshin. He is detailed in the North boxed set, in the Daggerdale book; several of his children as well as his grandchildren great grandchildren are described briefly as well. The house itself is not described though.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2018 :  01:55:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It actually contains a bunch of portals - was something of a portal nexus.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2018 :  03:27:20  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

It actually contains a bunch of portals - was something of a portal nexus.

-- George Krashos

These portals are the reason for its inclusion in the novel.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000