Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Moonshae Isles Regional Guide
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Galadhion
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2018 :  22:49:10  Show Profile  Visit Galadhion's Homepage Send Galadhion a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi everyone!

Shawn, Robert, and I put together a regional guide for the Moonshaes for use with a series of Adventurers League adventures we're writing that are set there! The guide is 99% edition neutral and updates the Moonshaes to the "current year". I'm thinking Year of the Purple Dragon (DR 1493).

It's not exactly canon, but it's the next best thing! I talked to a lot of the scribes about some of the updates we were making to the Moonshaes, and we even got Doug Niles to look it over and write the foreword!

Also, we got some sweet art done. Not just the fancy cover, but on the interior too! If you enjoyed FR2 Moonshaes, we did this in a very similar style.

You can find it on the DM's Guild at the link below. We may be able to do it PoD if we get enough interest.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/248303/Moonshae-Isles-Regional-Guide

Eric Menge
Game Designer / Writer
www.mythmakers.com

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2018 :  03:31:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I downloaded this a month ago and plugged it then. Now, to find the time to read it...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2018 :  10:52:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And it's lovely!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Galadhion
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2018 :  14:36:54  Show Profile  Visit Galadhion's Homepage Send Galadhion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fun note. I scanned the back cover of FR2, sampled the purple color, and used that as the color for the headers in the guide. Cause I'm a nerd like that.

Eric Menge
Game Designer / Writer
www.mythmakers.com
Go to Top of Page

John Daker
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2018 :  22:12:13  Show Profile Send John Daker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This book looks great! I would love a PoD please and thank you!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2018 :  00:28:09  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Galadhion

Fun note. I scanned the back cover of FR2, sampled the purple color, and used that as the color for the headers in the guide. Cause I'm a nerd like that.

Years ago I scanned in the header and footer boarders from Ruins of Myth Drannor and have been using them ever since... except underdark writings which get Menzo's spiderweb version. The color I use for titles and headings comes straight from The Seven Sisters.

Guess I'm also a nerd like that.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2018 :  00:28:57  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did you do anything with Flamsterd or the Cult of the Black Hand?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2018 :  01:57:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:

Years ago I scanned in the header and footer boarders from Ruins of Myth Drannor and have been using them ever since... except underdark writings which get Menzo's spiderweb version. The color I use for titles and headings comes straight from The Seven Sisters.

I would love to known how to do this stuff. I am so computer illiterate sometimes, it's painful.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2018 :  02:56:53  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I downloaded this a month ago and plugged it then.

I acquired a copy when Wooly plugged it.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2018 :  05:11:05  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bought it and read it a week ago. Concise and well written, it was an enjoyable read.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2018 :  05:51:58  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

quote:

I would love to known how to do this stuff. I am so computer illiterate sometimes, it's painful.

-- George Krashos

Do you have Microsoft Word Krash? I can send you a word copy of one of my files that you could use as a template no problem
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2018 :  07:49:17  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you guys point me to the most recent canon material about this region(since 3rd ed)? Just to catch up on published lore before looking into this one.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2018 :  10:46:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

Do you have Microsoft Word Krash? I can send you a word copy of one of my files that you could use as a template no problem

I absolutely do. Would love to have something like that to spiffy up my DMs Guild stuff. E-mail addy is krashos@optusnet.com.au

Thanks a bunch!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
952 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2018 :  00:58:22  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a 4E article on the Moonshaes in Dungeon 196 is the best source. There is also some info in the 4E Setting, 4E Player's Guide, and Brian posted some updated timeline stuff, but I believe all, or nearly all, of that is captured in the Dungeon article.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
952 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2018 :  00:59:01  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The guide on DM's Guild updates things a little further and obviously expands on the Dungeon article a fair bit.
Go to Top of Page

Galadhion
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2018 :  13:24:09  Show Profile  Visit Galadhion's Homepage Send Galadhion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're hoping to make this happen! I'll keep you posted.

quote:
Originally posted by John Daker

This book looks great! I would love a PoD please and thank you!

Eric Menge
Game Designer / Writer
www.mythmakers.com
Go to Top of Page

Galadhion
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2018 :  13:28:18  Show Profile  Visit Galadhion's Homepage Send Galadhion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Did you do anything with Flamsterd or the Cult of the Black Hand?

Yes to both!

Flamsterd is still alive and well in his undersea retreat. He is still influencing the isles through his few remaining loyal apprentices who have created the Initiates of Flames, a new organization that characters can join. The Initiates seek to reverse the suspicion of magic that many Moonshavians have through assisting people in need and promoting the rule of law.

The Cult of the Black Hand is one of the antagonistic powers on the island. They're small, but highly organized and very dangerous. You may see more of them in the Moonshae regional adventures.

Eric Menge
Game Designer / Writer
www.mythmakers.com
Go to Top of Page

Galadhion
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2018 :  13:31:06  Show Profile  Visit Galadhion's Homepage Send Galadhion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

I use a scanner and Adobe creative suite to put this together. I scan the back cover, open the file in Photoshop and then sample the color using the eyedropper tool. That gives me the CMYK color value, which I can then use to make anything that color.

If you don't have PS, let me know Krash, and I'll pull that info for you.

Eric Menge
Game Designer / Writer
www.mythmakers.com
Go to Top of Page

Galadhion
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2018 :  14:02:48  Show Profile  Visit Galadhion's Homepage Send Galadhion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

There was a 4E article on the Moonshaes in Dungeon 196 is the best source. There is also some info in the 4E Setting, 4E Player's Guide, and Brian posted some updated timeline stuff, but I believe all, or nearly all, of that is captured in the Dungeon article.

That's a good list! Shawn's Dungeon article in particular was our foundational document (Shawn was our lead writer.) Brian James also did the article "Realmslore: Sarifal" for Dragon 376 which was chock full of goodness, and Matt James wrote an article "Heroes of the Moonshae Isles" in Dragon 405.

Eric Menge
Game Designer / Writer
www.mythmakers.com
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2018 :  00:44:43  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bought it a couple of days ago. Only had time for a quick skim through, but it looks very nice! Lots of good info, and attractively & professionally put together.

I'll post more after I've had a chance for a full read-through.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000