Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 'One Who Waits'(comic book spoiler in link)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BadLuckBugbear
Seeker

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2018 :  00:51:10  Show Profile Send BadLuckBugbear a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/One_who_waits

This guy seems fun.

If I get around to running a 1357 DR campaign, I might use him.

Has anybody else used this monster? Any ideas about what he is/was?

Ewan Cummins

Edited by - BadLuckBugbear on 28 Aug 2018 00:51:33

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2018 :  03:43:48  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wrote the article and I don't know. :)

I corrected the date, btw. A later comic suggests this one was during or shortly before the Time of Troubles of 1358 DR.

The comic was a bit vague, but taken on face value, it seems to be a powerful unique devil of the Nine Hells who serves Bane. Being an enormous disgusting slug with little arms, it could have a connection with Baalzebul, or been transformed the same way, but it seems too useless and servile to be Baalzebul himself. I guess Bane kept it waiting, then planned to use it as a distraction during or before the Time of Troubles, engineering the Great Door into a portal to the Hells outside Waterdeep.

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

BadLuckBugbear
Seeker

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2018 :  04:50:05  Show Profile Send BadLuckBugbear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

I wrote the article and I don't know. :)

I corrected the date, btw. A later comic suggests this one was during or shortly before the Time of Troubles of 1358 DR.

The comic was a bit vague, but taken on face value, it seems to be a powerful unique devil of the Nine Hells who serves Bane. Being an enormous disgusting slug with little arms, it could have a connection with Baalzebul, or been transformed the same way, but it seems too useless and servile to be Baalzebul himself. I guess Bane kept it waiting, then planned to use it as a distraction during or before the Time of Troubles, engineering the Great Door into a portal to the Hells outside Waterdeep.

If it was a powerful devil, would being smooshed by the door count as being killed on its own plane or on the Prime Material?

Maybe it's since reformed in Hell, cheesed off but unable for some time to return to Faerun?

Ewan Cummins
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2018 :  05:52:54  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could be a Sluggoth Demon.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2018 :  07:34:29  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Great Door slammed shut on its trunk, presumably slaying it, because it was prone on the ground in the next frame. Curiously, on the next page, the body's disappeared but the rubble of the door remains, but whether it was disintegrated along with the door or faded and returned to the planes is unknown. So it could still have reformed in Hell.

On the other hand, dying half-in, half-out of a planar portal is really going to confuse the issue of the location of its immortal soul. :)

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2018 :  07:58:37  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing Baalzebul sneezed while creating an avatar or aspect.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000