Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Pale Master
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2018 :  10:13:11  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Given the Recent events in Thay with House Tam and all I see the Pale Master and Necromancy cross over or development taking off. Also see a Grafting to evolve more than just an arm. Grafting was based as near as I can figure, in the whole Vecna Hand and Eye and to an extent the Teeth of Dahlvar-Nar.

Perhaps a further permutation of expanding the Grafts to be not just one Arm but several things. Arm, Eye, Teeth, Hand, Foot, Leg, Horns, Tail, Wings, etc... Stench gland of a Ghast, Vampire Bite or Fangs, Mummy Wraps or Perhaps even a Wraith or Ghost Form.

Are there any Pale Master of note in any of the books?

Thay Red

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2018 :  12:57:42  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At the moment I can't remember anyone called out specifically as a Pale Master but the Realms have plenty of liches and some may have gone that route in their way to achieve lichdom.

For some additional undead grafts ideas you can look in the 3E supplement Fiend Folio.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2018 :  14:26:41  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The entire problem with Pale Master is that one dead level. Otherwise, it's kind of a niche prestige class; I suppose it's good for flavor, but the best iteration of the Pale Master appears in Dungeons & Dragons Online, where it's basically a super-necromancer.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2018 :  14:31:13  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

The entire problem with Pale Master is that one dead level. Otherwise, it's kind of a niche prestige class; I suppose it's good for flavor, but the best iteration of the Pale Master appears in Dungeons & Dragons Online, where it's basically a super-necromancer.

And, in all honestly, with the creation of the Dread Necromancer in Heroes of Horror it makes the Prestige Class somewhat obsolete.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2018 :  15:05:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thraskir Skimper

Perhaps a further permutation of expanding the Grafts to be not just one Arm but several things. Arm, Eye, Teeth, Hand, Foot, Leg, Horns, Tail, Wings, etc... Stench gland of a Ghast, Vampire Bite or Fangs, Mummy Wraps or Perhaps even a Wraith or Ghost Form.

Sounds like a Frankenstein-type creation... Does D&D have a Frankenstein's monster analog, aside from flesh golems and oddballs like that Ravenloft Darklord?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 Aug 2018 15:06:24
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2018 :  15:18:49  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

And, in all honestly, with the creation of the Dread Necromancer in Heroes of Horror it makes the Prestige Class somewhat obsolete.

Agree with both of you, the Dread Necromancer direct access to the divine necromancy spells is sweet. Anyway thematically we can fold both Pale Masters and Dread Necromancers into the same "necromancer turning into an undead by altering/replacing his/her own body parts" archetype.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Sounds like a Frankenstein-type creation... Does D&D have a Frankenstein's monster analog, aside from flesh golems and oddballs like that Ravenloft Darklord?

I think in one of the 3E MMs or the Fiend Folio there was a stitched golem or somesuch?

Grafts have basically the same effect, especially if you go heavy on them and completely warp what a creature should look like, both literally and thematically (or just heavy use of polymorph any object I think ...).

Edited by - Demzer on 23 Aug 2018 15:19:26
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2018 :  02:09:08  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Thraskir Skimper

broken ones
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2018 :  07:45:31  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's disappointing that none of the necromantic prestige classes actually play to an arcane necromancer's strengths: debuffing and save-or-dies. There were attempts, of course (the Fell line of metamagic, Black Lore of Moil, Uttercold), but nothing to flesh out arcane necromancy as anything other than "icky undead creators".
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2018 :  14:59:38  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose a "Transhumanist" grafting feat could be created to expand ones' magical powers, Eye of Beholder, Tongue of Succubus, Fang of Vampire, Arm of Flesh Golem, Outside the Beholder Litter, did I mention that yet?, little makes use of other creatures save a few grafts.

Heart of the Elf is one of my favourites. The Illithid brain enhancements do come to mind, There are so many options beyond just 'borrowing' new bodies.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000