Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How many segments in a round?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2018 :  01:39:19  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It used to be, 1 round = 1 minute, this then was broken down into 10 segments.

Now one combat round is 6 seconds. Do we have combat segments?

Are spells cast in a combat round or a minute 'round'?

Is attacks per round attacks in 6 seconds now? A Monk with Kama with 6 attacks 3/3 each hand attacks once per 1 second segment or twice every other 1 second segment?

Movement?

12" is this 1 foot per inch (") or x10 feet per minute?

is surface speed still yards in place of feet?

In the air is a fly speed of 6" still 60 feet per minute? or 180 feet per minute when not inside or under ground? or is it 1800 feet per minute or 60 mph (5280 feet per minute)?

On this is range in aerial combat 1 foot per " or 10 feet per " or 10 yards per " or more? Is shooting down impossible from 1000 feet up with a heavy crossbow? Is throwing a lightning bolt spell possible at a Griffon ride 300 feet above you?

Does said griffon only fly at 3 to 6 mph? Does a Fly spell only let you fly at 2 mph?

Thay Red

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2018 :  02:07:18  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Edition?

As to segments they do not appear to be used in the more recent Editions at all.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2018 :  02:28:32  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3e-4e-5e

1 round = 6 seconds

Spells are cast in actions

Attacks are tricky. 3e had standard action (1 attack) or full-attack (can't move more than 5' but get as many as your BAB allows). 4e was based off the power you use. 5e is based on standard act with bonus actions

Speed is based completely in feet. 4e used squares but still it was 1 square = 5 ft.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2018 :  05:03:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks like the original post is referring to 1E. It's been a while since I looked at anything 1E related (other than just lore), but that looks like what I recall from 1E. (Note: my first D&D books were 1E, but I started played a year or two after the launch of 2E)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2018 :  05:51:39  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assumed it was in reference to newer D&D.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2018 :  06:34:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It used to be, 1 round = 1 minute, this then was broken down into 10 segments.

12" is this 1 foot per inch (") or x10 feet per minute?

is surface speed still yards in place of feet?

That's consistent with AD&D 1E/2E rules. It's also stated that most of the time things keep happening quickly in combat - a fighter is constantly trading and blocking in melee and gets his "attack" when a decisive series of blows finally creates an opening he can exploit, a spellcaster or an archer is positioning himself and tracking his target and gets his shot off when an opening is presented, etc. The combatants usually don't just stand around doing "nothing" for 5.5 seconds before swinging a blade or speaking a magical command word.

The time and distance scales are always defined somewhere in the PHB and DMG for each edition.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2018 :  11:27:41  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

What Edition?
As to segments they do not appear to be used in the more recent Editions at all.

Segments existed only in AD&D(1). Unfortunately, it meant that there were effects measured in hours, turns, minutes, rounds and segments.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2018 :  11:42:46  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A round is six seconds.

Spells are cast in a combat round, but their casting time depends on the spell itself. Most spells requite one standard action, but there are outliers (summon monster).

A normal attack is a standard action. A full attack (assuming the character can make more than one attack that round via BAB) takes a full round action.

Speed is calculated in feet. A griffin's movement speed is 30 feet on land and 80 feet while flying in a single move action.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2018 :  13:20:07  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, segments went away, and were really only used for spellcasting anyways.

I still use 2nd Ed rules, so spells with a casting time of 5, for example, means 5 segments. I don't know if I've ever seen casting times for newer editions broken down in that way. To be honest I never read the original 3rd or 4th E rulebooks so a lot of the stat block don't mean much to me so I could be missing something.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2018 :  15:30:59  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I still use 2nd Ed rules, so spells with a casting time of 5, for example, means 5 segments. I don't know if I've ever seen casting times for newer editions broken down in that way. To be honest I never read the original 3rd or 4th E rulebooks so a lot of the stat block don't mean much to me so I could be missing something.

Spells generally have a casting time of one standard action in 3e and 3.5e. There are exceptions (control weather, planar ally, true resurrection, the summon monster line of spells), but not many. Finger of death, gate, and magic missile all have the same casting time. Quicken spell reduces casting time to one swift action, so a quickened spell and a normal spell can be cast one after the other on that same turn.
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2018 :  01:48:07  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

A round is six seconds.

Spells are cast in a combat round, but their casting time depends on the spell itself. Most spells requite one standard action, but there are outliers (summon monster).

A normal attack is a standard action. A full attack (assuming the character can make more than one attack that round via BAB) takes a full round action.

Speed is calculated in feet. A griffin's movement speed is 30 feet on land and 80 feet while flying in a single move action.

That would mean a griffon can only fly 9 mph and walk 3.3 mph. That is awful slow.

Given that a Cheetah can run at 70-75 mph it would be 650 feet?

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2018 :  02:17:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thraskir Skimper

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

A round is six seconds.

That would mean a griffon can only fly 9 mph and walk 3.3 mph. That is awful slow.

As much as I love griffons, they're not designed well, in terms of flight. Half of the animal is dead weight, in the air, and is un-aerodynamic, on top of that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2018 :  05:40:25  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Segments were used for surprise and damage per segment, too.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000