Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GenCon and Candlekeep session
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2018 :  17:24:23  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,
How did GenCon go? Anyone record the Candlekeep session, even if only audio?

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2018 :  00:10:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The session is never filmed or taped. It was fun. Panelists were Jim Lowder, Erin Evans, Eric Menge, Erik de Bie and Brian Cortijo.

Eric de Bie advised that he was working on a Westgate product for the DMs Guild and Brian said that he wants to publish the Cormyr Lineage there also. Eric Menge provided info on his Moonshae product already at the Guild. The novel line was discussed in depth (don’t hold your breath for anything other than Salvatore novels) and general quesfiond were taken from the gallery. A handout on the origins of the Zulkirate in Thay based on seminal lore from Ed Greenwood was also given to the attendees. It will be made available both here at the Keep and for free at the DMs Guild in due course.

— George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 12 Aug 2018 00:12:29
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2018 :  04:28:55  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormyr Lineage

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2018 :  11:07:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The session is never filmed or taped. Candlekeep session was fun. Panelists were Jim Lowder, Erin Evans, Eric Menge, Erik de Bie and Brian Cortijo.

Eric de Bie advised that he was working on a Westgate product for the DMs Guild and Brian said that he wants to publish the Cormyr Lineage there also. Eric Menge provided info on his Moonshae product already at the Guild. The novel line was discussed in depth (don’t hold your breath for anything other than Salvatore novels) and general quesfiond were taken from the gallery. A handout on the origins of the Zulkirate in Thay based on seminal lore from Ed Greenwood was also given to the attendees. It will be made available both here at the Keep and for free at the DMs Guild in due course.

— George Krashos

I simply cannot wait for the zulkirate origins and all the lovely goodies and easter eggs hidden therein.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2018 :  20:17:32  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The session is never filmed or taped. It was fun. Panelists were Jim Lowder, Erin Evans, Eric Menge, Erik de Bie and Brian Cortijo.

— George Krashos

Nice! Thanks for the details sir! Looking forward to seeing those projects. One of these years I'll make it to GenCon. :)
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2018 :  11:01:20  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks George !
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2018 :  20:34:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone is after a PDF copy of the Zulkirs of Thay handout, please PM me with your e-mail address or email me at krashos@optusnet.com.au for a copy.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2018 :  21:37:55  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Email sent Krash!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2018 :  03:38:18  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading that most excellent piece of Realmslore, BRAVO!!!!! I am in awe...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2018 :  08:51:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you enjoyed it. The piece asks as many questions as it answers, for the machinations of Szass Tam (and how indeed Szass Tam actually came to be) are not dealt with in the article. There is much more to be learned about Thay and its history, but that is for another day.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2018 :  09:34:49  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Received, read, utterly floored.

I'll have a lot to think and connect and weave based on this brilliant piece.

Many thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2018 :  04:24:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful stuff, friend Krash, as always.

I have to wonder about one thing, though... "Following the defeat of the orcs, Tarloth took on many guises and in one of them as a disciple of Horus-Re, managed to steal and imbibe some of the khaledshran, an elixir of immortality derived from the precious divine blood of the dead deity Re and given to each incarnation of Horus-Re upon that individual’s ascension to the throne of Mulhorand. His longevity secured, Tarloth then set about honing his mastery of the Art."

Why, if Tarloth had gained immortality, did he become a lich? Was the khaledshran more of a serious longevity thing than an immortality elixir? And if so, why didn't get grab more of it?

Or did he gain immortality but later lose it?

Of course, it also occurs to me that the latter phrase "the guise of Szass Tam" could mean that Tarloth didn't become a lich, and in fact is merely posing as one... Though the line "He is believed to have spent several centuries in the hidden city of Pholzubbalt, mastering the Dark Art and learning the secrets of lichdom from the greater lich Charchee." does argue against that theory.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2018 :  05:49:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Wonderful stuff, friend Krash, as always.

I have to wonder about one thing, though... "Following the defeat of the orcs, Tarloth took on many guises and in one of them as a disciple of Horus-Re, managed to steal and imbibe some of the khaledshran, an elixir of immortality derived from the precious divine blood of the dead deity Re and given to each incarnation of Horus-Re upon that individual’s ascension to the throne of Mulhorand. His longevity secured, Tarloth then set about honing his mastery of the Art."

Why, if Tarloth had gained immortality, did he become a lich? Was the khaledshran more of a serious longevity thing than an immortality elixir? And if so, why didn't get grab more of it?

Or did he gain immortality but later lose it?

Of course, it also occurs to me that the latter phrase "the guise of Szass Tam" could mean that Tarloth didn't become a lich, and in fact is merely posing as one... Though the line "He is believed to have spent several centuries in the hidden city of Pholzubbalt, mastering the Dark Art and learning the secrets of lichdom from the greater lich Charchee." does argue against that theory.

It made you immune to aging, not immune to death by injury, disease etc.

I extrapolated that from a little snippet from Steven Schend that was not included in "Sea of Fallen Stars" where he listed some of the latter rulers of Mulhorand. One of them was tagged with the moniker "the last of the Undying Ones. Pharaohs that extended their lives by magic to rule for more than two centuries". I have kept that bit in my pocket for over a decade now. Good to see it get some use.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2018 :  05:52:10  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Received and currently enjoying it. Thank you!

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2018 :  08:52:10  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was actually going to ask about this immortality elixir but from a different angle, if the pharaohs are so immortal why weren't there more of them (in 3000 years history I think I've only seen a Pharaoh name with a III as the highest number. But you've already answered that question so I have a different one.

Would you be willing to reveal when the last of the undying ones lived or died or reigned. Just so I can pinpoint when the elixir ran out.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2018 :  09:07:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I was actually going to ask about this immortality elixir but from a different angle, if the pharaohs are so immortal why weren't there more of them (in 3000 years history I think I've only seen a Pharaoh name with a III as the highest number. But you've already answered that question so I have a different one.

Would you be willing to reveal when the last of the undying ones lived or died or reigned. Just so I can pinpoint when the elixir ran out.

I had a play with what Steven had noted and was of the view that the manifestation of Horus-Re had a hand in the elixir's manufacture and a fresh batch was made every time a new incarnation ascended. Such was the power of the elixir however that it killed anyone who was not an adult. As such, when Horustep III ascended as a boy, none was made. The departure of the manifestations of Mulhorand following the Time of Troubles means that there is no more elixir. So the short answer to your question is Akonhorus II.

As an aside, Tarloth Narmandur stole the original batch of the elixir intended for the first ruler of Mulhorand after the Orcgate Wars, Horusret I.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2018 :  10:14:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was going to place tarloths interception as either the first batch or following the last battle of the godkings against the fiends of Narfell when all the incarnations died and an incarnation of thoth was Pharaoh for a time, but he would have been over 1000 by that time.

I will have to rework a bit of my stuff to fit this new lore in. The first Pharaoh may be a symbolic title ruling only in Horus-Re absence and I have the godkings depart much earlier but there is no reason he couldn't have made many batches of elixir before he left and by 1356 the elixir has run out.

Real good stuff though. Tarloths origin will be fun to speculate on as he is really ancient

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2018 :  20:37:22  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Received the file - amazing work, George.

Edited by - Thauramarth on 19 Aug 2018 20:46:09
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000