Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Erevan Ilesere, The god who stole shadows.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2020 :  23:47:59  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I think points both of you have made are true. From Demihuman Deities:

"Erevan has a long-standing rivalries with other rogue powers, including Beshaba and Mask, for their cruelty and greed offends the Trickster's light-hearted nature.
Eravan is fickle, utterly unpredictable power who can change his appearance at will. He is one of the most fun-loving powers in the multiverse, and he seems incapable of remaining still or concentrating on a single task for any extended period of time. The Trickster enjoys causing trouble for its own sake, but his pranks are rarely helpful or deadly. However, Erevan becomes very dangerous if sylvan races or weak elven groups are threatened, and he is always championing the underdog."

Thinking about it, his unpredictability (and perchance for trickery) is why the SCAG says he is of "darker bent". If we go by this quote, he both champions the underdog, and will defend those who need to defending (the F&A also notes he is fiercely loyal to the Seldarine, so even if Fenmarel is his scapegoat, he will defend him if need be). He's unpredictable and mischievous, so that makes him a bit of "darker bent", but he is also gentle, and his pranks are ultimately harmless (though you could of course make the argument that pranks can have unforeseen consequences).

Exactly. And his priests, or clerics or specialty clerics all think differently than one another and come to conclusions differently. Erevan may not want to harm any particular deity during a prank, but his clergy may want to.Or individual clergy members may want to.

With the 2ED Demi-humans quote above us, we can see Erevan Ilesere is capable of almost anything. He's NOT a melee warrior, nor a ranged combat god. He is a Rogue at heart and therefore using sneak attacks and deception in combat both magical and melee.

He is the most Fey you can get in the Seldarine pantheon. Having extended his elven nature into that of The Seelie Court on the Plane of Faerie.

Erevan Ilesere is pretty much ALL ABOUT HIMSELF as far as the cosmos is concerned. But if elves become involved, he gets nasty in the defense of his nature. You may see death coming when Corellon Larethian charges you, but Erevan Ilesere will dispatch you with laughter and guile on his lips from behind.

I can truly see Erevan taking on "Shadow" as a portfolio as all tricksters and pranksters work some sort of shady, dealings and magic that defines them. Furthermore... I can see Erevan Ilesere taking on the portfolio of Shadow simply to counteract the schemings of other rival gods like Mask, Beshaba, Shar, Bane and others. The best way to defeat an enemy is to use their own unique power against them in some sorted way that your god approves.

Here's my thing... Darkness and shadow are not inherently evil. They are tools that many arcane and divine casters utilize, be you of good or evil alignment. My gaming group is moving in that direction.

If the enemy can use the shadows for their advantage, then so can the non-evil clerics as long as their god allows such room to choose. Erevan Ilesere is one of those gods I believe. He is a Trickster deity, a unashamed prankster. He's not looking to slaughter Mask, but to trick him and cause some sort of adventure for himself. Erevan is Chaos! Unpredictable and full of change. He is all about change.

For the sake of the 9 hells, Erevan Ilesere is change in the flesh. A god of deception and illusion. A god of chaos and thieves. Why wouldn't he go after and try to steal the Portfolio of Shadow from Mask or Vaerauhn?

If somebody ever wrote a book about the elven gods, it would portray Erevan as a wild card capable of pretty much anything. From all the Lore I have gathered, it seems that Erevan Ilesere has never been fooled, beaten or bested by any deity he has ever had contact with.

I'm pretty sure Erevan Ilesere is simply moderate in both blade and spells as far as deities go that are Intermediate in ranking. But it's his trickery and mischief that makes him dangerous and unpredictable in the Cosmos.

Maybe Erevan Ilesere just wants to steal the Shadow portfolio from Mask or Vhaeraun out of simple boredom? Maybe he has an agenda. Maybe he has no agenda at all. When being one of the least exulted deities of The Seldarine, he is able to slip under the radar of most powers, be they lawful or chaotic, evil or goodly.

I can imagine him being a thorn in the side of his own pantheon as he pursues his own goals. I can also imagine him being a thorn in the side of all other lawful gods and goddesses in the multiverse. No deity in the cosmos is prepared for the ultimate tricks and pranks of an ever-changing elven god of trickery.

It is rumored in all the ancient elven kingdoms on Faerun that Erevan Ilesere is seeking for the last Shards of the goddess of Illusion; Leira, the Lady of the Mists, was the goddess of deception and illusion and the patroness of illusionists and liars.

Edited by - Copper Elven Vampire on 25 Jul 2020 03:27:18
Go to Top of Page

King Libertine
Seeker

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2021 :  02:38:48  Show Profile Send King Libertine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahem... Not sure what's wrong with this? Canon, no... Improved, yes... Well thought out and stealing some stuff?, yes. Your FR game may never include this lore. The books don't. And nobody cares really. It's a game after all.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2021 :  15:08:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::waves::

Hey CEV. I won't say improved at all, but as you say... nobody cares really.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000