Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Upcoming Novels 2018
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1310 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2018 :  22:58:15  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not FR novels, but now that Ravnica is a D&D Setting, do the two Ravnica novels count as D&D novels?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2976 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2018 :  00:15:13  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say they are MtG novels, unless they used D&D lore (cosmology, spells, etc...) and they obviously won't.

I'm honestly beyond pissed that MtG is getting novels, while FR is left with Drizzt, and will be left with only Drizzt for the foreseeable future (who might as well not even be FR anymore, but just its own franchise).

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/

Edited by - Irennan on 06 Sep 2018 00:18:36
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

689 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2018 :  00:31:33  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I'd say they are MtG novels, unless they used D&D lore (cosmology, spells, etc...) and they obviously won't.

I'm honestly beyond pissed that MtG is getting novels, while FR is left with Drizzt, and will be left with only Drizzt for the foreseeable future (who might as well not even be FR anymore, but just its own franchise).

Oh see now this is interesting. Because the entire reason we don't have a bevy of Realms novels is directly related to MtG. See, several years ago Hasbro reorganized their game division and forced each of the separate IPs to operate on their own budget.

Before that they were all under one umbrella and shared resources. That meant that meant DnD benefited from the popularity and income of MtG (which made far and away more money).

So now it seems MtG is gonna drink DnDs milk shake.
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Learned Scribe

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2018 :  01:34:31  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This makes me think of the Blizzard video games spin-off novels. As much as I love both books and Blizzard games, I didn't think they'd make for a good combination, an opinion that only became more solidified after I'd read most of them. Some of the writing in those novels is truly cringe-worthy, and while I enjoy the lore of Warcraft and Diablo more than I'd care to admit, I wish I could get the time I'd spent reading those books back. Nonetheless, they're successful enough that they'd branched out into things like mangas, because the parent franchise sells so incredibly well. I see the new MtG novels like that. Hasbro's willing to make them because MtG fans will consume them, even if they're not very good.
Go to Top of Page

KraziJoe
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2018 :  19:34:22  Show Profile Send KraziJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I am partially to blame because I got lost after the Spellplague. I thought I had a pretty good grasp on the lore before then but after, it seemed to be so convoluted and without reason that I sort of gave up. Even Drizzt seemed that way until the gang was brought back to life to sort of right their ship.
I blame it all on killing of "Blackstaff". Everyone else gets to come back and he remained dead and now the novels are gone...
Go to Top of Page

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
127 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2018 :  07:32:46  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Not FR novels, but now that Ravnica is a D&D Setting, do the two Ravnica novels count as D&D novels?

If thatís the case, it seems like D&d is slowly abandoning forgotten realms for novels and now focusing on Ravnica.

I can only hope for one big crossover. At least to let the Realms stay alive.

orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5235 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2018 :  08:56:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Realms are alive. Just not in terms of fiction. No gameworld is alive in terms of fiction, not even the greatest fiction gameworld: Dragonlance. WotC is now a gaming company, not a novel publishing house.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7374 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2018 :  13:21:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Krash, just wondering if you know something on numbers... I personally always got the feel that past the initial like 12 major Krynn novels, the setting as a novel line was failing and that FR was selling more novels in general. Not that it really makes a lot of difference now, but since you talked with Ed and others who were on the inside, maybe you heard something that was different than my gut feel. Don't get me wrong, I loved the major Krynn novels, but a lot of the secondaries suffered.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000