Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Gen Con for kids
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2018 :  15:21:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey,

I haven't been to Gen Con in going on maybe 17 years (and only once before that). So, I've never been to Indianapolis at all. I just wanted to go this year, so I've spoken with my girlfriend (who has been reading a bunch of Harry Potter to her daughter) and got her to agree to go for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I also bought a bunch of Harry Potter stuff for her daughter to dress in (she's 10 now) for the 3 days to hopefully make their time there fun for them. My girlfriend does NOT play D&D though, but she does like Game of Thrones, Outlander, Shadowhunters, and absolutely loved reading the Narnia stories to her daughter.

So, that all being said, I obviously want to come to the Candlekeep seminar, visit any other D&D seminars, and walk the showroom floor. However, I also know they won't want to do this kind of thing (other than walking the showroom floor). So, I was thinking "why not ask others who go more often?". Is there anything people would recommend for a young child to do at Gen Con, or possibly for a mother on the fringes of fantasy?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2018 :  19:30:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The event catalog usually has family/kid stuff listed.

A couple years back, I was wandering about, and found an area where this guy "Bluebeard" was coaching a bunch of 4 and 5 year olds, using foam swords to fight each other. The dude was having a good time, the kids were having a better time, and it was so entertaining watching them that I sat and watched for like 45 minutes!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2018 :  11:48:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fantastic that you're making Gen Con sleyvas. Looking forward to catching up if you have the time.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2018 :  20:44:36  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I've never been to Indianapolis either, but, I mean, there's gotta be other stuff to do in the city for when they've decided they've had enough.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2018 :  19:12:06  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not yet going. Actually, I will go for the first time to the USA this september, and spend one and a half month in Alexandria, VA. Anything good for me to visit around there?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 12 Jul 2018 13:47:20
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2018 :  23:41:04  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-You'd be literally 20 minutes away from Washington D.C.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2018 :  00:46:50  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They will be at the Harry Potter section long after you are done.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2018 :  13:50:32  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-You'd be literally 20 minutes away from Washington D.C.

Yes, I know it. I was waiting for tips a gamer, biologist and mythology fan could appreciate there at the time. Thank you, anyway!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2018 :  15:54:41  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You must do the Smithsonian Museums, or as many of them as you can fit in.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2018 :  23:02:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thraskir Skimper

They will be at the Harry Potter section long after you are done.

There's a Harry Potter section? I guess I really need to start looking at what's there.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2018 :  12:22:19  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

You must do the Smithsonian Museums, or as many of them as you can fit in.

Thanks, ElfBane!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2018 :  01:39:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just curious... who all is up here? I plan on going to the candlekeep seminar tomorrow night and would love to meet some of the folks here.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2018 :  19:11:42  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Is there anything people would recommend for a young child to do at Gen Con, or possibly for a mother on the fringes of fantasy?

Tons of things to do for non-hardcore gamers, and also kids.

First of all, for kids. GenCon has (when I was there 3 years ago) an area which is like a VR arcade. I tried one of them, you go inside an enclosed booth, and I played a BattleMech type of game with "force feedback" simulated effects, so when a hostile missile hit my mech, my booth literally shook and nearly tossed me around. Yes, I was in a seatbelt/harness thing for safety. I played against live opponents, all of them also in mechs (inside their own booths). I don't recall what the winners got awarded, as I never won any of the rounds.

For casual gamers…. get her to play True Dungeon! It is essentially a live-play dungeon, with a group of players together. True Dungeon sets up elaborate dungeon layouts, there are several dungeons of varying difficulty levels. Some of the easy basic ones are mostly puzzle based, you try to advance through your dungeon and defeat monsters by "solving" things. The more advanced ones can be physical, where you literally have to do things like be able to time-jump across (simulated) burning lava chasms, or jump and dodge to avoid traps!

You collect tokens when you succeed at certain quest-points or survive the entire dungeon. Tokens are things like "Ring of Fire Resistance" or "+2 Magic Silver Sword". You then use these tokens to help you survive and defeat monsters in the (advanced) dungeons. For example, the magic silver sword would be one of the few ways to defeat a Lycanthrope enemy should you encounter one in an (advanced) dungeon.

Like everything else in GenCon entertainment, TrueDungeon is not cheap! But it's reasonable enough to play at least 1 or 2 basic games and enjoy your GenCon afternoon.

The True Dungeon is basically an off-shoot of the live role-playing phenomenon (now several years old) known as the LA Escape Rooms, popularized in Los Angeles. I've lived in the LA area in the past, so I know about them.

With TrueDungeon, it is best to reserve your spots together as a group of friends. Otherwise, you will be slotted with random strangers (GenCon attendees) to be in the same "party".

https://truedungeon.com

Other games for the non-hardcore gamers? Check out the numerous games for casual gamers. I've played in the many FFG (Fantasy Flight Games) game sessions, they have some of the best board games ever. FFG has had the license/rights to the Game of Thrones boardgames even before the damn thing appeared as a TV series. Yes, this is true. The GRR Martin books first came to the fantasy boardgames industry BEFORE the Emmy-award winning TV series were released.

Other family fun games (also for kids) I recommend getting into a slot of Last Night On Earth, made by Flying Frog Entertainment. It's a zombie survival boardgame, very very casual fun, and the rules are very easy. FFE has other games similar to LNOE, one of them is a Dracula-hunting based game.

I won't be going to GenCon this year. Have fun!

Edited by - moonbeast on 05 Aug 2018 19:28:25
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000