Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Harpist Spider
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2018 :  09:55:01  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The story of Aileen, a large tarantula who discovered harps.
In retrospect, given their sense of vibration, it makes perfect sense that a big strong spider who found strings tied to a good resonator would try to play Dance Dance Evolution.
Oh, and one of the Australian tarantulas is called Whistling Spider. I guess the locals could assemble a whole orchestra from the large spiders.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2018 :  13:34:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If we're talking about Australia, can we somehow work dropbears into the conversation? I like dropbears.

I was expecting this topic to either be about some Harper with a very wide network of agents and informants, or something like an awakened watchspider.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Jun 2018 13:34:43
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2018 :  18:55:31  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

If we're talking about Australia, can we somehow work dropbears into the conversation?

Bears (search shows species from grizzly to koala) can dance, it's an old tradition to bring one along.
Nobody knows yet whether they like spider music, but {handful of species}X{dozens of species} gives many combinations, some probably work well.

quote:
or something like an awakened watchspider.

Well... we can extrapolate.
Since most spiders use at least detection webs and most of the rest are likely to retain vibration sense of their ancestors anyway (it obviously gives advantages even without the net), this may work with any species strong enough to pluck strings, they'll just have different preferences.
So why not.

King Baboon Spider's hiss approaches (on the higher end of its spectrum) 175 kHz. If that's near the highest end of their whole hearing band, it would take scaling >5x to have its hearing band brought close to human. And they already got leg span to cover a smaller dinner plate.
Dog-sized would be about right. Also, if it has leg span comparable to human arm length, it's big and strong enough to reach any combination of strings on a full-sized harp and play it at good volume.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2018 :  08:25:22  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, give that spider some years practice (and make the Tarantula Spider into a waterdhavian watchspider) and it might be able to make arcane effects manifest as it taps into bardic musical techniques with its new harpist skills.

Given that verbal components could be hissed just as a King Baboon spider, somatic components can arguably be done by a spider with dance moves (hopping its thorax, flexing its legs, mashing its mandibles) and material components can be ignored with proper training, bardic spider spellcasters could be a real thing in the Realms.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000