Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Cross-pantheon aspects?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2018 :  16:04:28  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, so we know Gond has the aspect of Nebelun the Meddler in the Gnome Pantheon and Bast/Sharess has the aspect of Zandilar the Dancer worshipped among the Elves of the Yuirwood. Lolth has been masquerading as the dead god Moander in the Faerunian Pantheon. Technically, Tymora is worshipped as she is amongst many halflings, namely Lightfoot Halflings, but does not seem to have an actual aspect. What about other pantheons, though? Are there aspects of Faerunian deities amongst the Drow, Dwarf, Halfling and Orc Pantheons?

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2018 :  16:24:35  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Velsharoon masquerades as Mellifleur of the Dark Folk. The Lawgiver of Ravenloft may be an aspect of Bane. Set is masquerading as Sseth, the Torilian aspect of Merrshaulk.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2018 :  16:34:24  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I stopped paying attention by this point, but at least "officially", a huge number of those demihuman pantheons are actually guises of other deities as per the FRCG. I know some of that has since been re-written (Gruumsh actually being Talos), but I'm guessing most hasn't.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2018 :  16:37:34  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zandilar is her own goddess again in 5e, and Moander is back as a Great Old One entity (whatever that means).

4e had a lot of stuff that simply doesn't make sense, given the timeline and the fact that some races are interlopers (like Sehanine being an aspect of Selune, or Gruumsh being a disguise for Talos). That was a retcon, though, and 5e reversed all of that.

Malyk was an aspect of Talos, but in 5e he seems to have regained his own identity. While outside of the Realms Zinzerena survived as her own power, on Toril Lolth took her as an aspect. Post-Sundering she seems to have regained her own identity, but it's not clear.

In canon, some people mistake Vhaeraun with Mask, but the two of them are definitely separate entities. If we had to make one an aspect of the other, the only logical choice--given timeline--would be to make Mask the human aspect of Vhaeraun (and on that note, something similar could be said of Lliira and Eilistraee: they share many similarities, from their beliefs, down to their 9ft tall dancing lady with super long hair apperance).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 17 Jun 2018 16:38:31
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2018 :  20:34:22  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way that I've been making sense of it is this:

Aspects of deities can be split off from their main "bodies" with individual personalities of their own - we can call these "Greater Aspects". These Aspects maintain a connection with their "Parent Deity" but can otherwise make their own decisions.

Some deities might pose as other deities while the real ones are dead or incapacitated somehow. It's also possible that a deity might pretend to be another deity for the sake of a big power play, working together with that same deity.

The 5e SCAG re-separated Gruumsh and Talos. In my Silvanus pamphlet on DMsGuild, I explain this as the two gods having worked together to deceive Silvanus, so that the other Gods of Fury could infiltrate The Deep Wilds (formerly House of Nature) and steal a powerful artifact (the Leaves of Green - originally introduced in a 2e book).

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Edited by - Storyteller Hero on 17 Jun 2018 22:10:12
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2018 :  21:01:52  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To me, things like Selune=Sehanine are just very poorly-thought retcons (especially in the way they were presented). The reasons are obvious: the elven gods are interlopers and multispherical deities, Selune is a FR-only goddess. It makes even less sense for things like Sune=Hanali, as I'm not aware that Sune was even worshiped in -24k DR in the Forgotten Realms. If those facts were presented as something like "due to the cataclysm of the Spellplague, certain deities sought refuge in the realms of other, more powerful deities", and even that wouldn't make much sense, as Arvandor was still there after the Spellplague, and it makes more sense for the elven gods to seek refuge under Corellon.

I like your explanation for Gruumsh temporarily becoming Talos, though.

Edited by - Irennan on 17 Jun 2018 21:06:52
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2018 :  23:00:33  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is also a goddess named Selan the Beautiful Moon in the lands of Zakhara, as part of the Zakharan pantheon. This is likely either an aspect of Selune or Selune herself with a slightly different name.

p. 51 of Al-Qadim - Land of Fate

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  01:40:53  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Set became Zehir in 4E to survive as one of the Faerunian pantheon.

That said, I like how the gods have morphed between editions. I think it keeps them more mysterious as they should be and opens up tons of potential storylines. Are Sehanine and Selune the same or Talos and Gruumsh or Helm and the related demihuman god of almost every pantheon or Lathander and Amaunator? Could be, might not. Do faithful who follow heresies still get divine power, seemingly so, but from where? What about the faithful of dead gods? What really happens to the faithless and false? What happens to the souls of the dead? Is the Raven Queen involved, what about Myrkul, Jergal, and Kelemvor? Do they go through the Shadowfell or the Fugue Plane or where? Malyk a separate god now or Zandilar? Is Moander back? Is Entropy a god? What's the difference between a god, primordial and the most ancient beings of the Far Realm? What about archfey and lords of Ravenloft? And what exactly are the githyanki and other creatures building their homes on in the Astral Plane? Is Anubis still guarding them and why? What about the gods of Oerth and Greyhawk; do they exist in the Realms? Are Ptah and Celestian worshiped in Realmspace? Who is Ao and does he even exist? Are the outer planes a tree or a great wheel? Can a mortal really kill a god and how does one become a god? And on and on and on. The thing is these paradoxes existed within the editions too, not just between them.

There are a hundred and one answers and a story in each. Schism and opportunities everywhere, and a chance for players to find the right divine concept (if that's what they are looking for) no matter what it is without being wrong and DM's to come up with some pretty cool stories for those very same players.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  03:26:55  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't personally like most of the pantheon changes.

Deities can and do change, they come and go, they evolve over time (alongside their pantheons), some even maintain different aspects which blur or extend the normal boundaries of their powers/portfolios, a few even maintain deceptive or disposable aspects while attempting to increase their own power or diminish that of their competitors. "Living" pantheons aren't stagnant, I'm okay with this.

But my issue is that deities and powers have been largely constant across ages and aeons. The coming and going and changing of deities is usually described in the context of myth, things have remained largely constant across untold generations. Then, suddenly, we have some game edition changes which accelerate deity turnover in the Realms to a frantic pace - a year, a decade, a century - pantheons and deities which had "stable" hierarchies and stations since (almost) the beginning of time itself seem to shuffle and jostle and veer around arbitrarily, over and over again, within a single lifespan. Pantheons are not supposed to be fashion statements, they're supposed to be the higher fabric of the world and the cosmos.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  04:15:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I don't personally like most of the pantheon changes.

Deities can and do change, they come and go, they evolve over time (alongside their pantheons), some even maintain different aspects which blur or extend the normal boundaries of their powers/portfolios, a few even maintain deceptive or disposable aspects while attempting to increase their own power or diminish that of their competitors. "Living" pantheons aren't stagnant, I'm okay with this.

But my issue is that deities and powers have been largely constant across ages and aeons. The coming and going and changing of deities is usually described in the context of myth, things have remained largely constant across untold generations. Then, suddenly, we have some game edition changes which accelerate deity turnover in the Realms to a frantic pace - a year, a decade, a century - pantheons and deities which had "stable" hierarchies and stations since (almost) the beginning of time itself seem to shuffle and jostle and veer around arbitrarily, over and over again, within a single lifespan. Pantheons are not supposed to be fashion statements, they're supposed to be the higher fabric of the world and the cosmos.

This is my sentiment, as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  07:10:39  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem with a lot of the whole "let's keep the higher planes a mystery huehuehue" is that people have actually gone on and explored these places, interviewed their denizens and in some cases opened up settlements. Hell, there are many deities who allow visitors into their domains as long as they keep the peace; Sung Chiang rules over the greatest black market in the planes, while Waukeen's realm is one of four of the greatest trading centers in the planes.

It's when you want to keep your players constantly guessing that the whole thing falls apart. What's the point of planar lore if everything gets reshuffled every edition? There are only so many cataclysms the Realms can take.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  11:35:10  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller Hero

There is also a goddess named Selan the Beautiful Moon in the lands of Zakhara, (...) likely either an aspect of Selune or Selune herself with a slightly different name.

Sure. In the same planet of the Realms, so technically Selūne is still in one world only!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  13:11:38  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

The problem with a lot of the whole "let's keep the higher planes a mystery huehuehue" is that people have actually gone on and explored these places, interviewed their denizens and in some cases opened up settlements. Hell, there are many deities who allow visitors into their domains as long as they keep the peace; Sung Chiang rules over the greatest black market in the planes, while Waukeen's realm is one of four of the greatest trading centers in the planes.

It's when you want to keep your players constantly guessing that the whole thing falls apart. What's the point of planar lore if everything gets reshuffled every edition? There are only so many cataclysms the Realms can take.

Yep. Once you have a history of planes being explored, and their denizens being interacted with, the "it's mysterious" approach sounds like sloppy worldbuilding--at best--to me (*especially* when it only applies to some, and others keep receiving plenty of focus, and others yet keep showing up to mortals, etc...)

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  13:18:55  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Set became Zehir in 4E to survive as one of the Faerunian pantheon.

That said, I like how the gods have morphed between editions. I think it keeps them more mysterious as they should be and opens up tons of potential storylines. Are Sehanine and Selune the same or Talos and Gruumsh or Helm and the related demihuman god of almost every pantheon or Lathander and Amaunator? Could be, might not. Do faithful who follow heresies still get divine power, seemingly so, but from where? What about the faithful of dead gods? What really happens to the faithless and false? What happens to the souls of the dead? Is the Raven Queen involved, what about Myrkul, Jergal, and Kelemvor? Do they go through the Shadowfell or the Fugue Plane or where? Malyk a separate god now or Zandilar? Is Moander back? Is Entropy a god? What's the difference between a god, primordial and the most ancient beings of the Far Realm? What about archfey and lords of Ravenloft? And what exactly are the githyanki and other creatures building their homes on in the Astral Plane? Is Anubis still guarding them and why? What about the gods of Oerth and Greyhawk; do they exist in the Realms? Are Ptah and Celestian worshiped in Realmspace? Who is Ao and does he even exist? Are the outer planes a tree or a great wheel? Can a mortal really kill a god and how does one become a god? And on and on and on. The thing is these paradoxes existed within the editions too, not just between them.

There are a hundred and one answers and a story in each. Schism and opportunities everywhere, and a chance for players to find the right divine concept (if that's what they are looking for) no matter what it is without being wrong and DM's to come up with some pretty cool stories for those very same players.

There are ways to add mystery without showing an utter lack of care for continuity (or the setting at all). Lack of internal consistency is not, and has never been, good writing (and by this I don't mean mortals having a wrong perception in novels or tales, it's--like it has happened in the past--arbitrary changes rained down from WotC's Devs).

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  15:56:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Worship is worship and a name is a name. Don't see any issue with halflings worshipping the Great Spaghetti Monster and calling it the Great Oatmeal Monster. In fact it makes for a more fascinating religious landscape.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  16:40:55  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It gets even better when the church of the great spaghetti mother and the church of the great oatmeal mother have the same holy scriptures and even the same iconography but they cannot abide that the other church uses the wrong name. Both churches then slaughter each other for using the wrong name until the true church of the great spaghetti monster wipes them both out for not using the right type of pasta at religious festivals.

Of course the canon way is much more interesting where every priest is in direct communication with their God and knows exactly what he wants and so there is never any internal religious strife and anytime anyone does anything remotely against the gods wishes they lose all abilities (although the idea of every priest casting spells is equally ridiculous).

Some of what was written above may involve sarcasm.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  17:28:17  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

It gets even better when the church of the great spaghetti mother and the church of the great oatmeal mother have the same holy scriptures and even the same iconography but they cannot abide that the other church uses the wrong name. Both churches then slaughter each other for using the wrong name until the true church of the great spaghetti monster wipes them both out for not using the right type of pasta at religious festivals.

This kind of stuff I don't personally find interesting, like at all. RL is already full of that kind of sh*t, unless the Flying Spaghetti Monster is a deity of war and carnage, of intolerance and violence, I don't see why conflicts over this sort of stuff should happen beyond the size of a handful of fanatical, empty-minded worshipers. Things like intolerance don't need to be IN YOUR FACE at any opportunity that remotely allows it.

Btw, I don't mind that some cultures worship the same deity under different names. What pisses me off is when, all of sudden, WoTC decides that deities that have always been separate entities "were actually the same all along!!11!!" Even when that makes absolutely no logical sense whatsoever (or when a deity decides to change their whole outlook overnight, or things like that). Consistency is not bad, I'm really puzzled that this notion is becoming so popular tbh.

If the 4e version had been "some elves believe that Selune is an aspect of Sehanine, and some humans believe that Sehanine is an aspect of Selune" I wouldn't have cared or minded. However, Sehanine=Selune, Sune=Hanali, Talos=Gruumsh, and so on don't make sense at all, and I'm glad to see that kind of stuff re-retconned again.

Edited by - Irennan on 18 Jun 2018 17:36:40
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  18:10:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the point was not really about holy war it was about possibilities arising out of difference that cannot happen under the current model.

Under the current model everyone worships the God in the exact same way because all priests preach in the exact same way because they were told to do so by the God himself.
It is difficult to conceive how heretical cults can exist under the current model because the God has direct control of his church and will not allow any action (such as inter religious strife) unless it is part of his portfolio, plus that God can hear any time his name is invoked and read the thoughts of anyone invoking his name (and heretic priests must invoke his name if masquerading as a legitimate worshipper).

It all depends on how you like your game. The current God centric model fits very nicely with the bland 5e where everything is black or white and in large single colour codes blocks (all orcs are evil, all lolth worshippers do x, all shadovar look like y, all people from cormyr behave in such a manner).
I like my games to be as realistic as possible where every organisation is filled with nice people and selfish people and the occasional psychopath, where people try and better themselves sometimes by screwing over superiors or underlings. Where people in power are generally there because they exploited their way to the top and are the least worthy of that power. Intrigue and lies abound and yet through it all good endures and sometimes succeeds (but not all the time).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  18:22:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

This kind of stuff I don't personally find interesting, like at all. RL is already full of that kind of sh*t, unless the Flying Spaghetti Monster is a deity of war and carnage, of intolerance and violence, I don't see why conflicts over this sort of stuff should happen beyond the size of a handful of fanatical, empty-minded worshipers. Things like intolerance don't need to be IN YOUR FACE at any opportunity that remotely allows it.

Btw, I don't mind that some cultures worship the same deity under different names. What pisses me off is when, all of sudden, WoTC decides that deities that have always been separate entities "were actually the same all along!!11!!" Even when that makes absolutely no logical sense whatsoever (or when a deity decides to change their whole outlook overnight, or things like that). Consistency is not bad, I'm really puzzled that this notion is becoming so popular tbh.

If the 4e version had been "some elves believe that Selune is an aspect of Sehanine, and some humans believe that Sehanine is an aspect of Selune" I wouldn't have cared or minded. However, Sehanine=Selune, Sune=Hanali, Talos=Gruumsh, and so on don't make sense at all, and I'm glad to see that kind of stuff re-retconned again.

That was my beef. We had it well-established that these deities were all separate, and then it was suddenly, out of the blue, "these kinda-sorta similar deities are actually the same one, even if that violates prior canon!"

Add to that the fact that their excuse for making this change was that there was too many deities in the Realms -- but then they added more, while giving us that lame excuse. More than anything, that indicates to me that the only reason for the change was for designer convenience. Why ask designers to differentiate between Deity A and Deity B when you can wave your hand and say they're the same deity? Like so much other Spellplague-era lore, it seems to me that the only objective was making sure the designers didn't have to do any research beyond cracking open a single book.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  18:31:01  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well the point was not really about holy war it was about possibilities arising out of difference that cannot happen under the current model.

Under the current model everyone worships the God in the exact same way because all priests preach in the exact same way because they were told to do so by the God himself.
It is difficult to conceive how heretical cults can exist under the current model because the God has direct control of his church and will not allow any action (such as inter religious strife) unless it is part of his portfolio, plus that God can hear any time his name is invoked and read the thoughts of anyone invoking his name (and heretic priests must invoke his name if masquerading as a legitimate worshipper).

It all depends on how you like your game. The current God centric model fits very nicely with the bland 5e where everything is black or white and in large single colour codes blocks (all orcs are evil, all lolth worshippers do x, all shadovar look like y, all people from cormyr behave in such a manner).
I like my games to be as realistic as possible where every organisation is filled with nice people and selfish people and the occasional psychopath, where people try and better themselves sometimes by screwing over superiors or underlings. Where people in power are generally there because they exploited their way to the top and are the least worthy of that power. Intrigue and lies abound and yet through it all good endures and sometimes succeeds (but not all the time).

Why wouldn't people worship deities in their own way? As long as they don't go against the dogma of the deity, I don't see why no one could deviate from the standard style of worship.

Want a true heresy, complete with a schism? Sure! Just have another, enemy deity (or Archdevil, or Demon Lord, or whatever) support it while posing as the main god. That way, even though--say--Selune could be able to disapprove of her followers killing in her name, stop granting spell, etc... (like a good-hearted deity would, because this whole good deities being actually a******s in disguise is honestly tiresome) Shar could secretly support the heretics and even fuel a Shar=Selune heresy, without WotC coming down and saying "Shar has been Selune all along!!!11 Oh, there are 3435564355 problems with this? Well, the gods are mysteeeeerious"

Edited by - Irennan on 18 Jun 2018 18:42:16
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  18:31:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As usual, you misrepresent divine matters in the Realms. It is clearly not the case that all worshipers of a deity worship the same way, because there are heresies, schisms, and simple regional variations in worship -- and these are all documented in canon Realmslore.

The error is in persisting in thinking that gods have nothing better to do than hang out in their temples having tea with their ranking clergy. This also goes against canon Realmslore, which specifies the ways that deities indicate favor or disfavor. Aside from Mystra and her Chosen, even the most powerful priest will never speak directly with their deity -- at least, not while that priest is still alive.

The gods send signs of their favor or disfavor, and let the mortals follow their own free will. And most deities aren't going to quibble over minor variations in rituals and whatnot.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  19:07:55  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many times I've seen people on this forum shout down another's idea saying that God x wouldn't allow it because it goes against the portfolio or ideals of that God. If the God has the omniscience to know about it and the power to stop it then how can any deviance be allowed.

The church of vhaeraun is now subservient to lolth and his priests protect the lolthites and yet already it has been argued that this could not happen because vhaeraun himself would not allow it.

I proposed subverting the power of an artefact for good to evil and was told gods would not allow it.

You can't have both sides of the argument. If a god can control organisations and events and people to stop what others want to develop then it also cannot allow the schism already existing. Or alternatively a god has no control and it is all up to individual people and everything can change and be warped.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  19:48:25  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Many times I've seen people on this forum shout down another's idea saying that God x wouldn't allow it because it goes against the portfolio or ideals of that God. If the God has the omniscience to know about it and the power to stop it then how can any deviance be allowed.

The church of vhaeraun is now subservient to lolth and his priests protect the lolthites and yet already it has been argued that this could not happen because vhaeraun himself would not allow it.

I proposed subverting the power of an artefact for good to evil and was told gods would not allow it.

You can't have both sides of the argument. If a god can control organisations and events and people to stop what others want to develop then it also cannot allow the schism already existing. Or alternatively a god has no control and it is all up to individual people and everything can change and be warped.

Small heresies can easily go under the radar, but if a heresy gets large, then yes: the deity is bound to notice and to do something, because the deity does indeed stand for certain ideals and values, they are strongly tied to them, and it only makes sense for them to act when things get out of hand in large numbers. Otherwise, what would even be the point of having deities as entities? At that point, if deities are to be permanently inactive, just have RL-like religion and be done with it. Personally, I don't like it, and the Realms have never been like RL.

The thing about Vhaeraun is not just that he wouldn't allow it, it's that his own character has been demolished, and all that he and his followers have always been, all of sudden started doing the *exact opposite*. Seriously, "silent, obedient" to describe Vhaeraun&followers? You might as well have an entirety different character. Besides, the large problem is that such BS was extended to his whole faith, not just a bunch of dissidents.

That said, I apologize if it seemed that I shot you down, I didn't mean to. I was just replying to your claim.

Edited by - Irennan on 18 Jun 2018 19:53:45
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  19:54:18  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The church of Vhaeraun is not subservient to Lolth. The general propaganda might have people thinking that Vhaeraun serves Lolth, but the real Vhaeraunites plot the downfall of Lolth. This was established with the church of Vhaeraun pursuing the death of Lolth, then being absorbed into Eilistraee's church, then being taken care of by Corellon for about a hundred years.

It was even pointed out that subservience was propaganda in MtoF, and the passage on Vhaeraun in the book makes sure not to say that all worshippers of Vhaeraun believe this.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  20:16:18  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

Small heresies can easily go under the radar, but if a heresy gets large, then yes: the deity is bound to notice and to do something, because the deity does indeed stand for certain ideals and values, they are strongly tied to them, and it only makes sense for them to act when things get out of hand in large numbers. Otherwise, what would even be the point of having deities as entities? At that point, if deities are to be permanently inactive, just have RL-like religion and be done with it. Personally, I don't like it, and the Realms have never been like RL.

The thing about Vhaeraun is not just that he wouldn't allow it, it's that his own character has been demolished, and all that he and his followers have always been, all of sudden started doing the *exact opposite*. Seriously, "silent, obedient" to describe Vhaeraun&followers? You might as well have an entirety different character. Besides, the large problem is that such BS was extended to his whole faith, not just a bunch of dissidents.

That said, I apologize if it seemed that I shot you down, I didn't mean to. I was just replying to your claim.

Don't worry about it, I wasn't referring to me personally, but there is a general embarge on discussing anything godly that is contrary to portfolio or alignment because it is quite quickly shot down. I don't really discuss anything godly anymore, only religions.

But if a heresy is shot down when it gets too large it, what is the critical mass for a heresy to become visible. We have no details on the size of the heresies in canon but the heresy of grazzt and waukeen is potentially quite large. When they get suitably large what happens, do all the members suddenly immolate in divine fire or are all faithful worshippers immediately alerted to their presence and ordered to slay them. If this is the case then why would anyone ever bother founding a heresy because the moment they have a chance of becoming successful they are destroyed. Vhaeraun's entire faith could be considered a heresy if not for the fact that it only recruits members excluded from Lolth's church (men) but the drow as a whole could be considered part of lolth's portfolio and thus she would be aware of all vhaeraunites in lolth controlled settlements.
Its just too messy to consider if a god has that level of knowledge and control over mortal affairs. Subtle whisperings is the only way to go (likely to be ignored or dismissed as dreams as they are obeyed).

The scenario of Vhaeraunites becoming subservient would make more sense if the lolthites changed tactics from eradicating the church of vhaeraun to infiltrating it and slowly gaining position and eliminating the upper hierarchy until it was mostly filled with polymorphed female drow who then gradually change the ideology of cells within major lolth settlements to seek change in society by secretly and then openly supporting the lolthites and trying to gain the legality of positions for males within Lolth's church.

The success of such a tactic is proved when priests of vhaeraun are allowed to exist and actually guard lolth's temples. The vhaeraunites in major lolth settlements now follow the new doctrine of change from within while those in non lolth settlements still follow the old way.

All this could have happened while Vhaeraun was dead (although I merged him with eilistraee to make the Masked Lady) and the inevitable chaos that follows.

Vhaeraun is using visions and dreams to try and change the church back to its old ways. But If gods cannot allow things to happen contrary to their nature and have such control over mortals then many of the events in FR become contradictory to the nature of the setting.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 18 Jun 2018 20:24:41
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  20:24:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No one is trying to have both sides of an argument. The new lore about Vhaeraun is entirely contrary to prior lore about Vhaeraun. The argument there is that the new canon is almost a 180 degree turn from the old canon. It'd be like making Bane the god of puppies and sharing.

Complaining about reversing prior lore is not at all the same thing as saying a deity might or might not allow something.

You're arguing that gods are either the ultimate micromanagers, watching every single thing every single one of their worshipers does, 24/10, or that they have absolutely no control over anything whatsoever. You're saying it's either all or nothing, black or white, when every bit of information we've ever had about the deities of the Realms firmly establishes that it's somewhere in the middle.

Again, I get that you can't stand the gods -- you've trumpeted that one more than enough times. But it is clear that you've never read anything about them, since you keep making these false assumptions and arguments. Perhaps you should take the time to properly research them before you pass judgement.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  20:32:43  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem is that gods if a god is dependant upon a portfolio and obedience of worshippers and have the option to control people to the degree that many believe then they would almost certainly do so.

Tyr is the god of law, he cannot allow his faithful to break the law and will prevent and punish those that try. Vhaeraun cannot allow his church to suddenly change into something that supports Lolth and so it cannot happen otherwise Vhaeraun vastly loses his power and risks deific death.

If a being has the power to be aware of almost anything and achieve almost anything then they will almost certainly do so to preserve their own existence.

Or the alternative is that they are not all aware and people can generally behave as they desire allowing all manner of people into a church (the greedy and self serving, the normal and unsure, and the fanatically pious). All a god can do is try and influence things to their desire through signs and portents and the occasional divine servant.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  20:37:52  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why the deity's reaction must always be that destructive? First off, gods almost never physically attack mortals because that would lead to an utter mess, with other gods stepping in to stop the act, and the prime being devastated for such things (this is Hallowed Ground's explanation). For a large heresy, the deity could start with various signs and dreams, and whatever to indicate that something is wrong. In the worst cases the deity might simply stop granting spells and favors to the heretical clerics. As I said before, the heresy could still go on, and become problematic.

quote:
Just have another, enemy deity (or Archdevil, or Demon Lord, or whatever) support it while posing as the main god. That way, even though--say--Selune could be able to disapprove of her followers killing in her name, stop granting spell, etc... (like a good-hearted deity would, because this whole good deities being actually a******s in disguise is honestly tiresome) Shar could secretly support the heretics and even fuel a Shar=Selune heresy, without WotC coming down and saying "Shar has been Selune all along!!!11 Oh, there are 3435564355 problems with this? Well, the gods are mysteeeeerious"

The difference is that you're still getting your conflict, you have one more thing to find out (who's manipulating the heretics), and Selune doesn't come off as an ever-absent deity who still grants spell to people who go around murdering in her name. I mean, some folks might fall for the trick, which is precisely what Shar could be aiming at ("oh look, those Selunite clerics are blasting people apart with their goddess' magic", when in truth the spells were granted by Shar), but you don't get a narrative that craps on Selune and her followers.

As for the critical mass: that's something that doesn't need to be set in stone, but an order of magnitude could be given. F&P provides a minimum number for the divine sense of each "tier" of deity (for lesser deities, for example, is 500 people doing a portfolio-related action at once).

Assuming that what you said about Vhaeraun is true (i.e. Lolth can see every drow because drow is in her portfolio, so Vhaeraunites count too).

1)Lolth would perceive so many things at once (basically, every action that the drow make?) that she would probably have a hard time even distinguishing what's going on. Also, divine sense doesn't grant you sight of what's happening, just the awareness that something is happening.

2) As I said before, my idea of a god's intervention isn't that as soon as some of their followers begin to abandon them, they should suddenly know the position of such followers and directly intervene. It's when a large enough number of followers start making actions in the god's name that are in stark contrast with their portfolio, then yes, the god should be able to notice.

3)Vhaeraun's portfolio (drow males is among it) is more specific than Lolth's, so generally that means that he would be able to hide drow from her.

4)Even setting aside matters of portfolio, Vhaeraun is able to hide Lolth's own clerics from her gaze (Masked Traitors), and to let them pose as Lolthites while serving him. Why wouldn't he be able to hide lay worshipers?

5)Even Eilistraee is able to hide her worshipers from Lolth (see the Promenade, and what happened in Starlights and Shadows before Liriel unwillingly brought Lolth's gaze past the wards), and Vhaeraun is more powerful than she is.

@Storyteller Hero: MToF doesn't mention what happened to the church of Vhaeraun in the past, and it clearly states that the majority of his followers are complacent with taking part into the very society and infighting that they're supposed to stop. Even his belief in gender equality is now "an assumption" that some of his followers make, and only because he's apparently Lolth's favorite son? Lol? It even describes the idea of Vhaeraun as embodying the "silent and obedient" aspects of the drow male. The fact that his followers are now normally accepted among Lolthites (and simply try to keep their ideas to themselves) points to him becoming more and more like Selvetarm. However, this discussion belongs to the MToF thread.

Edited by - Irennan on 18 Jun 2018 21:09:14
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  20:44:11  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The problem is that gods if a god is dependant upon a portfolio and obedience of worshippers and have the option to control people to the degree that many believe then they would almost certainly do so.

Tyr is the god of law, he cannot allow his faithful to break the law and will prevent and punish those that try. Vhaeraun cannot allow his church to suddenly change into something that supports Lolth and so it cannot happen otherwise Vhaeraun vastly loses his power and risks deific death.

If a being has the power to be aware of almost anything and achieve almost anything then they will almost certainly do so to preserve their own existence.

Or the alternative is that they are not all aware and people can generally behave as they desire allowing all manner of people into a church (the greedy and self serving, the normal and unsure, and the fanatically pious). All a god can do is try and influence things to their desire through signs and portents and the occasional divine servant.

They changed Vhaeraun's own character, not only his followers. So, he wouldn't suffer from divine death, he's simply a different being now, according to WotC.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  20:58:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And there comes the problem, can a god suddenly decide to change everything it represents? That causes more problems than it solves if existing worshippers do not agree with the new dogma. The deity then has to try recruiting people open to its new (and undeclared dogma) to ensure it doesn't suddenly have no worshippers when he suddenly changes behavior and personality.

Vhaeraun suddenly says "actually I quite like Lolth". Vhaeraun's worshippers say "no way, we've been killing these lolthites for centuries and they have committed uncounted atrocities, why would I suddenly start helping them?". Now Vhaeraun is at risk of dropping massively in power.

This isn't the only time something like this has happened. Bast/Sharess goes from a lieutenant of Anhur and dance goddess to a nihilistic pleasure seeker serving Shar to a dancer and servant of Sune.

Drastic changes in dogma always risk causing problems among the established clergy unless of course they are clergy led changes in dogma.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  21:03:41  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sharess didn't wake up one morning and said "yo, I'm gonna mess things up". Stuff happened that forced changes upon her, and it had consequences on her power, followers, etc... Not only that, but after her imprisonment by Shar, Sharess mostly returned to being her own self (the fact that she became an exarch of Sune doesn't make her character different).

For Vhaeraun, it's just a retcon, and that sort of things shouldn't be applauded as good writing because "mystery" IMO. It's blatantly disrespectful towards the character, the people who like the character, and the creators of the character (in this case, Ed himself). Even if you tried to explain this with the fact that he (almost) died and then returned, these changes would still make absolutely no sense. All things considered, Vhaeraun didn't lose to Lolth, and the kind of influence that he could have received wouldn't make him any less hostile to Lolth.

Edited by - Irennan on 18 Jun 2018 21:09:21
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000