Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Erevan Ilesere and the Sloth domain??
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Copper Elven Vampire
Senior Scribe

421 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2018 :  16:46:27  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I did a google search of Erevan, and noticed that several pages of him said that he has the Trickery, Chaos, Luck, Elf and Sloth domain. The first 4 he has had since 3ED, but when did he get Sloth? That makes no sense whatsoever! Followers and worshippers of Erevan Ilesere are adventurous and always traveling and getting into trouble or causing it. The sloth domain seems to go against everything the elven god stands for. I think the Shadow domain would be far more suitable and far more likely than the Sloth domain. Can anyone help me out with this?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31146 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2018 :  18:13:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's sloth in that as rogue types, they're more willing to take from others than to do the work themselves?

Yes, that's a weak explanation. I agree that sloth is not suitable for Erevan.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Senior Scribe

421 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2018 :  19:42:35  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Maybe it's sloth in that as rogue types, they're more willing to take from others than to do the work themselves?

Yes, that's a weak explanation. I agree that sloth is not suitable for Erevan.

I looked up the Sloth domain, and further concur that the spells listed and granted domain powers are just not like anything I would imagine Erevan granting to his divine casters. Is this 5ED lore? It's not homebrew as far as I can tell. About 5 separate pages on google claims he has Sloth as a domain. Darkness domain would not be suitable either, but I can see the Shadow domain (from Eberron setting) being far more likely than Sloth. Would you agree?
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Senior Scribe

706 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2018 :  16:43:19  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not to difficult to imagine that a trickster god would have a domain that empowers clerics that like to laze about and relax. The god is infamous for being a prankster; the lazy layabout who schemes up practical jokes while pilfering from a lord's wine cellar and relaxing under a tree is still his priest as much as the usual Bugs Bunny-type prankster is.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Senior Scribe

421 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2018 :  19:53:07  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

It's not to difficult to imagine that a trickster god would have a domain that empowers clerics that like to laze about and relax. The god is infamous for being a prankster; the lazy layabout who schemes up practical jokes while pilfering from a lord's wine cellar and relaxing under a tree is still his priest as much as the usual Bugs Bunny-type prankster is.

Maybe some trickster gods of humans or halflings if you want to go down that path, but not clerics or divine casters of Erevan Ilesere. It simply just goes against his dogma. I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is cannon?
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Senior Scribe

706 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2018 :  05:17:52  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's an additional non-core domain. Like many other domains featured in 3.5e, the Seven Deadly Sins domains (and their virtuous counterparts) came late in 3.5e's lifespan (they first appeared in Dragon, IIRC), so they were tacked on as additional domain choices (core + FR core + other books).

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Senior Scribe

421 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2018 :  18:11:52  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

It's an additional non-core domain. Like many other domains featured in 3.5e, the Seven Deadly Sins domains (and their virtuous counterparts) came late in 3.5e's lifespan (they first appeared in Dragon, IIRC), so they were tacked on as additional domain choices (core + FR core + other books).

So instead of the Sloth domain, how about this... If mask is the god of thieves and erevan is the god of rogues, and they both share the Trickery and Luck domain, while Mask has the Darkness domain, then would it be too far fetched to give erevan the Shadow domain instead of Sloth??
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Senior Scribe

706 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  07:00:18  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erevan is a god of rogues, but otherwise has no thematic association with darkness. Meanwhile, Mask's specific sphere icludes shadows. The Faerunian pantheon was not updated with non-core domains from later splatbooks and the magazines, which is why Mask does not have the Shadow domain despite being god of shadows.

If anything, I'd give Erevan the Celerity and Liberation domains.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000