Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Heraldry in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  12:22:03  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The other day, I was looking through a copy of the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer. On the reverse sides of both the front and back covers, are illustrations of the various flags, national symbols, and coats of arms for all the nations and cities of the Flanaess.

Does something like this exist for the Realms as well?. Would anyone be interested in creating a few examples with me, if there isn't?.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  13:24:44  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funnily enough I was looking at the very same thing not so long ago and wondered just that.

Greyhawk is made up of a lot of kingdoms and baronies etc. so crests will exist much more than in the Realms as each nation isnt of the same cultural level as, say, Cormyr, who would have a herald.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  13:45:21  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's what I was thinking.

I was also looking through the revised old greybox (1996), and that set has several coloured flags and city symbols on printed cards, with some background information about the locations printed on their backs. Included (among others), are the various symbols for the Dales, Sembia, and Raven's Bluff.

Are there any more?.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Fireheart
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  14:43:26  Show Profile Send Fireheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.nctimes.net/~bryonw/heraldry_waterdeep.htm

This website had the Waterdeep nobles heraldry. I thought that there was another website that had the heraldry of most of the major city-states as well, but I can't find it this morning.

It may have been on the crosswinds site - but I think that site is down currently.

Hope that helps.
-Fireheart

I believe in what I see/I believe in what I hear/I believe that what I'm feeling/Changes how the world appears
-Rush "Totem"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  14:44:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heraldry is an element I think greatly enhances any fantasy roleplaying world. That fact is the reason I greatly look forward to an upcoming D20 product this summer.

As for the Realms, besides the old grey box, City of Splendor's Who's Who in Waterdeep had heraldry for the various noble families within the city. There was a web page in the past that had this information detailed in color with a brief write up of each noble family. Alas, the URL is apparently no longer current. A pity, it was useful to print out those pages if one was to run a Waterdeep campaign featuring any noble involvement.

I'd really like to see the heraldry for Cormyr's noble families detailed, but I don't recall any item featuring this information.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  14:50:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bingo Firehair! That's exactly the information I was mentioning in my previous post. Thank you for letting me know where they have moved the page.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  14:54:09  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. It's one of the aspects of RPGs that originally drew me to read about the various Domains in the Ravenloft setting.

What about the heraldry for some of the more established and ancient southern places of the Realms - say for example, the Border Kingdoms, Mulhorand, and Unther - maybe even the Empires of the Sands?.

I would think that Mulhorand heraldry, would be very pharonic styled, while the cultural themes of the ancient Babylonians and Assyrians, inherent in the Unther realm, would be evident in their heraldry.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  15:07:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

What about the heraldry for some of the more established and ancient southern places of the Realms - say for example, the Border Kingdoms, Mulhorand, and Unther - maybe even the Empires of the Sands?.

I don't recall seeing any heraldry for these areas. But, I may be mistaken as I'm not as knowledgeable about those areas as others in the Realms.

I really wish Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves had included the heraldry for the various elven noble families. Descriptions are included, but no images. Moreover, some prominent elven families (Craulnobers, Moonflowers) have, to my knowledge, never had their heraldry described in a Realms product. Any opinions on what those families' heraldry would feature? I've been meaning to ask Elaine Cunningham in her thread if she ever considered this when writing any of her novles. But, I keep forgetting.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  15:11:33  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good idea Sirius.

I've already asked the Lady Cunningham about the heraldry of the Elven Houses on Evermeet, so perhaps we should extend that to include Cormanthyr as well.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  15:15:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

That's a good idea Sirius.

I've already asked the Lady Cunningham about the heraldry of the Elven Houses on Evermeet, so perhaps we should extend that to include Cormanthyr as well.

Steven Schend is the one who wrote the Cormanthyr product. He might be someone to ask recalling that area. I'll be very curious to hear Lady Cunningham's (like that title by the way) reply to learn if she ever even considered it.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  15:15:46  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, heraldry was one of Bryon Wischstadt's interests on his largely defunct RealmSpeak site. But see "Heraldry of the Dales", and here and here.

Edited by - Faraer on 14 Apr 2004 15:16:24
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  15:39:06  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Faraer .

Ed really does deliver, because Luskan's blazon, was one that I was hoping to find.

Go to Top of Page

WarriorPrincess
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2015 :  05:57:12  Show Profile Send WarriorPrincess a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this website which, among other claims, shows samples of the Obarskyr and assorted Silvers' base Heraldry (presumably for the family as a whole):

http://hastur.net/wiki/Cormyr_nobility

Did they get this from any particular source or have they just made up their own based on hunches? Thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2015 :  06:36:34  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The image on the top right looks like it came from a Realms sourcebook.

I don't know the heraldry for the families silver, so I can't speak to what's shown on the website you linked to.

The noble families all look like homebrew/made up stuff.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2015 :  07:48:47  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right. Many of the noble family names look like real world surnames, well ones that do not fit with the established trends of Cormyr. There are a mix of Cormyrean names between them, mostly in the exiled houses.

If you click on the linked characters, you're taken to obviously homebrewed biographies using movie actors stills as portraits.

Still, many of the coat-of-arms are fairly well conceived and rendered. Wonder if there's a program for these. It would come in handy for a variety of games, whether homebrew settings or for fan lore on established settings. Or perhaps the creator has some graphic design talent. Either way a nice effort all around.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2015 :  07:50:29  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't sleyvas dabbling in heraldry recently?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2015 :  18:50:42  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The higher drow houses of Menzo all have well-established house symbols.

As do the main dwarf clans in the North.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2015 :  20:10:00  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The blazons of the Silver Houses are well established in home Realms play, and Ed was kind enough to lay them out for us back in 2010:
quote:
Originally posted by Ed via The Hooded One
HUNTSILVER: shield of forest green, with a face-on wide and splendid rack of stag's antlers, in silver, centered right across the upper third of the shield. The point of the shield is crimson to denote blood, with the upper "edge" of this hue, where it meets the forest green, being an irregular spattering.
CROWNSILVER: shield of deep royal blue, with a slender silver border ("edge") all around, and a circle of six silver edge-on simple crowns in the center of the shield. The edge-on crowns are a side-view of a horizontal piece of brow-metal with an upper edge scalloped into five points: two flaring endpoints, a central point, and a point in between the center and each end point. (In other words, the crowns don't appear as circlets, or as having detailed ornamentation.)
TRUESILVER: shield of scarlet, with a slender purple border ("edge") all around. Diagonally across the shield from the lower left corner (hilt) to upper right (point) is a stylized silver sword: it has a small handgrip and quillons, an extremely wide blade like a chef's cleaver that is curved like a scimitar.
Note: All of the three families' arms have changed over time. Huntsilver used to have varying arrays of brown thorns and silver hoofprints in its field; Crownsilver has had a single large crown surrounded by a dozen tiny ones, later replaced by a regular pattern of twoscore tiny edge-on crowns, and still later superceded by the current arms; and Truesilver was formerly a shield of royal blue (without a border) displaying two diagonal lines, upper left to lower right, of three plain silver shields each. I can't recall the times of the changes right now, but they're all in the 1200s or earlier, not in the 1300-1350s range.
The simple badges of the three families are as follows: Huntsilver: silver rack of antlers on a forest green oval field. Crownsilver: a single silver edge-on crown on a royal blue oval field. Truesilver: a plain silver diagonal band, lower left to upper right, across a crimson oval field.
The linked heraldry does not, unfortunately, draw on established Realmslore, with the exceptions of the upper right (3E) and lower (2E style home-clipart) Purple Dragon shields.

Edited by - Garen Thal on 08 Sep 2015 20:10:28
Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2015 :  21:48:53  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So just out of curiosity, because I was actually thinking about this a couple months ago as well - in the 10+ years since the OP asked, has anyone put together a comprehensive-ish resource for the known Realms Heraldry? It's such a shame that gems like Garen Thal noted above are locked away in various old threads here, and not collected all in one useful place...

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000