Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 90's WOTC website errata/articles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Waterdeep Ways Means C
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2018 :  23:23:33  Show Profile Send Waterdeep Ways Means C a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone know where I can find a list of WOTC articles/website errata for the mid/late 90's? They used to have it archived for that time (at least they did back in the 2000's), but I they don't know (or at least since they switched sites years back).

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2018 :  23:31:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
90's era stuff from WotC? Good luck on that one... WotC has rearranged their website numerous times since then, and they don't bother updating any links when they make changes -- so even if you can find a reference to something, it's usually no longer at the original link.

And to be honest, I don't recall them having a lot of content on their site before around 2000ish, anyway. I think it was 2000 when they posted the complete Roll of Years and a couple odd RTF files that took me a year or two of off-and-on searching to find. It was a couple years after that before they really jumped in and started regular updates with all sorts of free content.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2018 :  01:25:41  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some 3.x era stuff is on archive.wizards.com, AD&D2/PO era is mostly via crawling webarchive. Amusingly, some survived shuffling of their site - e.g. Player's Handbook 2nd edition (Revised) didn't get on 3.x errata list, but it's still there.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2018 :  02:43:58  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Would using the Wayback Machine work for those links?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2018 :  04:13:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

I've had some luck with doing that, but not always.

I know that it's not their main concern, but it still bewilders me that a company can make such a mess of their own website. I'd be willing to lay money on WotC's own web people being unable to find everything that's gotten shuffled away to odd corners and forgotten.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2018 :  18:40:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd bet more than anything that's due to employee turnover and lack of documentation to the next generation. I'd be surprised if they had more than 2 or 3 in their IT group, and probably they were gamers too who weren't dedicated to the job. I wouldn't be surprised if Alaundo has been running this site longer than the admins have at WotC.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2018 :  21:31:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I'd bet more than anything that's due to employee turnover and lack of documentation to the next generation. I'd be surprised if they had more than 2 or 3 in their IT group, and probably they were gamers too who weren't dedicated to the job. I wouldn't be surprised if Alaundo has been running this site longer than the admins have at WotC.

Turnover or not, that doesn't explain moving things to new locations without bothering to update anything -- including links on the pages you're moving.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2018 :  23:04:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Turnover or not, that doesn't explain moving things to new locations without bothering to update anything -- including links on the pages you're moving.

Yeah it does. The new person is only concerned with the new stuff, not researching the past. Servers or directories just get shunted off to just get archived without someone actually noting what's in them. I'm not saying its a good thing. However, I can readily see how it happens. I'm betting a lot of those IT guys were doing the job in the hopes of being able to game and work... then life happens. Again, not liking it, but at my current job compared to previous places.... yeah, I can see how it happens. Its a difference between a company having a guiding vision to see them into the years ahead... and a group of managers just looking at what they need "right now".

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2018 :  01:24:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I disagree. If you have the page right in front of you, and you're moving it, you update it or put a redirect to the new location in place. It should be part of the process, not something you leave for later.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2018 :  02:21:58  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Look at all of the issues with the Gleemax transformation and reverting things back, the attempted implementation of the social media stuff or whatever it was...Their online presence was not very well managed, public and probably back end.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2018 :  02:43:11  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check here to start: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/fr
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2018 :  12:29:44  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"webarchive" as in web.archive.org, yes.
If the link is dead, the first option is simply replacing "www.wizards.com" with "archive.wizards.com" (I set up Redirector add-on to do this automatically for some URL patterns), the second is "web.archive.org/web/1/<original link>" and from there to later versions if needed.
quote:

I know that it's not their main concern, but it still bewilders me that a company can make such a mess of their own website.

Microsoft... Ditto for Candlekeep, but it wasn't shuffled around because some marketroid confused website with ad board or said "we need more big pictures for idiots".

quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Also at least http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/products (3.x Errata, Web Enhancements, galleries) and http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/retired (some more articles).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Waterdeep Ways Means C
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2018 :  00:50:36  Show Profile Send Waterdeep Ways Means C a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll definitely do that, TBeholder.
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

If the link is dead, the first option is simply replacing "www.wizards.com" with "archive.wizards.com" (I set up Redirector add-on to do this automatically for some URL patterns), the second is "web.archive.org/web/1/<original link>" and from there to later versions if needed.
quote:

I know that it's not their main concern, but it still bewilders me that a company can make such a mess of their own website.

Microsoft... Ditto for Candlekeep, but it wasn't shuffled around because some marketroid confused website with ad board or said "we need more big pictures for idiots".

quote:

Also at least http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/products (3.x Errata, Web Enhancements, galleries) and http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/retired (some more articles).

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2018 :  05:21:58  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I disagree. If you have the page right in front of you, and you're moving it, you update it or put a redirect to the new location in place. It should be part of the process, not something you leave for later.

I agree with you wholeheartedly with the caveat that I feel the real issue is poor future planning. A properly designed website should just sit there and work. It would have been so easy to just use sub-domains, 3e.dnd.wizards.com vs 4e.dnd.wizards.com. They already use sub-domains for dnd vs magic.

You make a sweeping change just get a new sub-domain and leave everything else where it is. Lock all your boards so no new posts can be made and you have an archive... *sigh* so much lost information.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2018 :  22:37:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

quote:

I agree with you wholeheartedly with the caveat that I feel the real issue is poor future planning. A properly designed website should just sit there and work. It would have been so easy to just use sub-domains, 3e.dnd.wizards.com vs 4e.dnd.wizards.com. They already use sub-domains for dnd vs magic.

You make a sweeping change just get a new sub-domain and leave everything else where it is. Lock all your boards so no new posts can be made and you have an archive... *sigh* so much lost information.

Agreed on new URL's, but then that old server will eventually need to be updated, and businesses tend to do that more than private folk because they worry about vulnerabilities, etc... I mean, if we're only talking 8 years back, that's one thing, but more than 20?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2018 :  01:37:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Data can be copied from server to server, and when the content in question is just free web articles, there's not much of a security concern in moving it to a new location.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2020 :  00:11:17  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Waterdeep Ways Means,

First off: your username is epic. If that has anything to do with a wink to the Ways and Means Committee of the House of Representatives, you are awesome. haha

Second: you were spot on! Thank you! Getting those articles now!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Waterdeep Ways Means C

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll definitely do that, TBeholder.
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

quote:

quote:

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000