Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Asmadai cultists
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

justdave
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2018 :  18:09:59  Show Profile Send justdave a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Guys, I'm trying to come up with some stats etc for Asmadai cultists that would be a little more challenging to L9 characters (5ed). I've not read many of the stories which have them appearing, so weapons/magic etc I'm not sure about.
Oh! And my game is set in 1590+ DR

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2018 :  17:29:54  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1590 DR? That's like 100 years after the current 5E timeline, right?
Go to Top of Page

Balmar Foghaven
Learned Scribe

Canada
124 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2018 :  22:39:30  Show Profile Send Balmar Foghaven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean if swarming them with hordes of CR 2 cult fanatics won't cut it?

I would suggest one or more of the warlock NPCs from Volo's Guide to Monsters if you have access to that book. I believe they are CR 6+ each, and can easily be accompanied by devils to make for a tough fight.

"Despair not, for in the end all things shall work out for the best - in at least one timeline."

Edited by - Balmar Foghaven on 29 Apr 2018 22:40:03
Go to Top of Page

justdave
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2018 :  22:52:03  Show Profile Send justdave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah! THAT'S why I haven't had much response to this post!!!
Thanks for that, moonbeast, yes, I mistyped the date :O
It SHOULD be 1490+ DR :O
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2018 :  00:52:04  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could use stats from other, higher CR villains and uust say they're cultists.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2018 :  10:14:13  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, what Diffan said. There's no need to stick to 5e Monster Manual templates of "boss NPCs". And Balmar's suggestion is very good, having the Ashmadai cult leaders (or commanders) being accompanied by devils. That alone will make them quite a challenge for the PCs. It will also remind the adventurers that the Church of Asmodeus is no pushover, not to to be trifled with lightly.

One example of an Ashmadai boss NPC (that you might want to create) could be from the Tiefling race, and give him the baseline Infernal Legacy abilities given to the race. If you want to make him a Warlock that is pacted with Asmodeus himself, that alone might give him some very unique abilities (boons, favors, or supra-natural ability bestowed by the Lord of the Nine).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000