Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How do elves contain evil forces?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31498 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2018 :  19:40:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It does make me wonder, now that I think about it... With the evils we know about the elves having imprisoned, a major portion of why we know about them is because the evils later escaped. (Sure, we still have that chunk of Moander in Tsornyl, but the rest of him got out, and he retained enough influence that his followers were wanting to spring him from Tsornyl).

The obvious implication, though -- what evils have been imprisoned by the elves that we don't know about, because their prisons have not yet failed/been sundered? There could, potentially, be some other serious nastybads out there, forgotten by everyone, who are getting ever closer to escaping their millennia-long captivities... There's some potential, there. You could even scale down but otherwise rip off The Elfstones of Shannara by running with that idea.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

652 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2018 :  22:20:17  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It does make me wonder, now that I think about it... With the evils we know about the elves having imprisoned, a major portion of why we know about them is because the evils later escaped. (Sure, we still have that chunk of Moander in Tsornyl, but the rest of him got out, and he retained enough influence that his followers were wanting to spring him from Tsornyl).

The obvious implication, though -- what evils have been imprisoned by the elves that we don't know about, because their prisons have not yet failed/been sundered? There could, potentially, be some other serious nastybads out there, forgotten by everyone, who are getting ever closer to escaping their millennia-long captivities... There's some potential, there. You could even scale down but otherwise rip off The Elfstones of Shannara by running with that idea.

That's one of the things with these pesky elves, they leave their evil wastes laying around without telling anybody until someone trips on them and the Nine Hells break loose.

Also I believe there was (is?) another big nastybad from the Far Realm imprisoned into a star elven fortress (with something like 1 or 2 guards left ...) in Sildeyuir as per the Stardeep novel. Since this was late 3E and in 4E Xxiphu was flying free maybe the prison has fallen? Maybe to the Nilshai? The "Traitor" is out and about?
Truth be told this prison wasn't classical elven, it had a robot and an AI ... oh sorry! Let's say a ... uhm ... partially sentient golem ... called Cynosure ... but plenty of wizards and elven knights in shining armor and magic too.

PS: just for reference, about halflings and the act of "trying to wipe out" someone else, when you encounter your friendly neighbourhood halfling ask him/her about the deal with the Ghostwise tribe down in Luiren ...
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7425 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  12:18:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

That's one of the things with these pesky elves, they leave their evil wastes laying around without telling anybody

Hey, just because elves go poop in the woods and then ACT like they don't ever poop.... oh wait, that's not what you meant.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31498 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  14:33:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

That's one of the things with these pesky elves, they leave their evil wastes laying around without telling anybody

Hey, just because elves go poop in the woods and then ACT like they don't ever poop.... oh wait, that's not what you meant.

Ah, but elven poo, unlike that of other races, actually does emit a pleasing aroma. It's glittery, too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 May 2018 18:13:34
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1253 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  18:18:34  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When a truly heroic elven actor of old took an oath to slay an immortal fiend of some kind, they usually had to content with its return in a century and had to plan for it, so they were ready for the fiends eventual vengeful visit. Martial heroes had to track the fiends down upon their return and with the powerful fiends' ability to teleport this is no easy feat.

Arcane caster heroes have a lot more options, so maze, trap the soul and or soulbind spells gained their popularity quite early in the story of magic use in the D&D multiverse. The accounts of tales that recall imprisoning fiends and monsters that require specific ways to destroy are found in many a household that has had arcane casters in its history. In elven houses these tales are usually accurately preserved with recounting of the means of breaking or resealing the fiend, but some are taken more seriously than others. Some even have soulbound arcanotech in their basements, powering their household magic devices with demonic-elemental forces.

Its actually the Nar demonbinders who had taken trapping demonsouls on Toril to industrial levels, with the vaults of the fallen fortress of Val Murthag as an example of a place where even master adventurers have to tread very lightly.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Balmar Foghaven
Learned Scribe

Canada
96 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  19:00:15  Show Profile Send Balmar Foghaven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

I recall something about a certain nation of wizards in red involving the demon lord Eltab...

"Despair not, for in the end all things shall work out for the best - in at least one timeline."
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1725 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  19:03:13  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Its actually the Nar demonbinders who had taken trapping demonsouls on Toril to industrial levels, with the vaults of the fallen fortress of Val Murthag as an example of a place where even master adventurers have to tread very lightly.

Which returns us to the elven methods. Because Nar demonbinders were using recovered lore of Ilythiir, IIRC. That is, a tradition which was Elven in its roots, just veered too far into "but also let's make some use of them while we're at it" and beyond.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1253 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  19:26:11  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, the Ilythiiri demonbinders were elevating those spells to an artform way before the Nar, and probably did so on a massive scale in their fortress cities like Attornash or Athamault.

I can guess what happened to all those demons bound to surface Ilythiiri households after the Crown Wars. They were forgotten or blissfully ignored by the slowly crumbling and retreating elven survival states, as the drow clan houses names and buildings were torn down.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000