Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Customs similar to "Weather Ghost Charm" in FR?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2018 :  04:24:44  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,

I'm looking for any practices in the Realms that's similar to the Japanese custom of making paper dolls "Teru Teru Bozu" and hanging them up for good weather the next day. Traditionally, farmers would make these and hang them up in the window by a string. This talisman is supposed to have magical powers to bring good weather and to stop or prevent a rainy day.

Although uncommon, the Teru Teru Bozu can also be hung upside down, to signify a desire for bad weather and/or rain the next day.

Maybe in a world filled with magic like in FR, these sorts of practices wouldn't develop, but I'm thinking that for the commoners who don't have access to magic, maybe there'd be superstitious practices that are along the same vein as the Teru Teru Bozu?

Thanks in advance for any help and insights.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2018 :  14:19:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing Ed has mentioned a couple of times is the existence of hedge wizards and the like, folks who know a little bit of magic more suitable for common usage, rather than blowing stuff up -- the kind of stuff that doesn't always make the sourcebooks, because what PC is going to waste a spell slot on a cure for warts or a magical way to prevent pregnancy?

Sean K Reynolds -- a designer that I generally find has some really good ideas -- did a Kickstarter for a book of folk magic, and that book is now available from DriveThruRPG, Goody White's Book of Folk Magic.

It is obviously not any kind of canon for the Realms, but I think you may find the book worth perusing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000