Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Undermountain Level 5, The Maze Level
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2018 :  00:47:16  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Today I was browsing the FR Interactive Atlas, as I often do when bored. And I realized it has a very large map for UM L5. Oddly I don't remember this being published in any paper source? I know 3E Expedition to Undermountain featured a few chunks of it.

Was this a digital exclusive? I am also curious if the Shaft labeled in the center of the level could be where Belkram's Fall passes through this level?

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2018 :  18:55:10  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice find, I haven't found any printed references, this far.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  23:04:14  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just had exactly the same experience. No news on printed lore other than Expedition?

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2019 :  00:32:08  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

I just had exactly the same experience. No news on printed lore other than Expedition?

If I remember right, this was one of the selling features of the FR Interactive Atlas ... new hitherto unseen maps.

If you apply patch #3, you can see my one and only decent village map in Maskyr's Eye. I carefully made it fully consistent with Ed's Polyhedron articles. Never been published before or since.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2019 :  07:48:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that the atlas is no longer available and will likely not work on modern PCs, could someone take pictures of these maps so that they aren't lost forever

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2019 :  09:20:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah Eric. Send me that Maskyr's Eye map!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2019 :  10:23:43  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did anybody find a way to overcome the patches 1 and 2 requiring the cd. I have the cd but its 20+ years old and doesnt work anymore.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2019 :  11:04:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Given that the atlas is no longer available and will likely not work on modern PCs, could someone take pictures of these maps so that they aren't lost forever

It works just fine on my PC. It's a Windows 10 box that I built myself.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2019 :  11:06:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Did anybody find a way to overcome the patches 1 and 2 requiring the cd. I have the cd but its 20+ years old and doesnt work anymore.

Try copying the files on the CD to your hard drive and install it from there. I've got the CD, but I've been using the copied files for the install for years, and multiple computers.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2019 :  11:18:54  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got the basic atlas working fine (copied over from an old usb that i copied from an old xp machine), but the patch#1 and patch#2 require the presence of the cd in order to install the new maps. The cd no longer reads in the drive so the patches refuse to install

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2019 :  12:45:11  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've got the basic atlas working fine (copied over from an old usb that i copied from an old xp machine), but the patch#1 and patch#2 require the presence of the cd in order to install the new maps. The cd no longer reads in the drive so the patches refuse to install

I thought patch 3 was a superset.

--
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2019 :  13:43:47  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many years ago I owned the interactive atlas, but it is long since gone. If I wanted to start from scratch and pick up my copy today fully updated, will a Google search produce the most recent version? And how recent is the most recent? Does it include 5e era Realms?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2019 :  14:17:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had a look through multiple forums and they all agree that the patches are not cumulative so they all need to be installed in series, in the correct order for the full changes to be applied.

As far as I can tell patch#3 is the latest and it does not include any 4e, 5e, or even 3e changes.

I think the best we can get is if someone has installed patch 1, 2, and 3, then if he can zip up the map folder we could try and put them in place manually, otherwise it might be a hard slog trying to figure out how to mount the cdrom.iso so that the patches pick it up correctly.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2019 :  14:31:58  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might try using an program like Gizmo( http://arainia.com/software/gizmo/ ),to burn the old FRAtlas CD to a fresh CD. Then try and see if the patches will accept it.
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2019 :  14:33:23  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yikes! I've been promoted to Learned Scribe!! Kool!!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2019 :  15:38:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Interactive Atlas came out in 1999, and hasn't been updated since like 2002 or so, when the 3rd patch came out. It predates 3E and doesn't include anything from that era or later.

I've installed it on Windows 98, Windows ME (ye gods, what a horrible OS), Windows XP Home, Windows XP Pro (multiple systems), Windows 7 Pro, and Windows 10 Pro.

I've got the original CD -- I bought it from the TSR Mail Order Hobby Shop, when they were dumping them at half price -- but I've just used my copies of the files for most of those installs, from XP onward. Not an iso or anything, just copying the files to a folder and running them from there.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Sep 2019 15:42:27
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2019 :  16:19:57  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think patch#3 doesn't do the CD check, but if you want the updates from 1 and 2 it does check for a cd

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2019 :  16:24:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think patch#3 doesn't do the CD check, but if you want the updates from 1 and 2 it does check for a cd

As I recall, it's not as much looking for a CD as it is looking for the original installation files -- which is why I've never had an issue, despite not using the CD.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2019 :  16:51:59  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Major bummer if the CDs lose their magnetism and weren't copied onto a hardrive

I don't suppose someone could do a bit of trial and error to see which file the patch#1 or #2 is looking for. It does the file check as soon as the patch is run so if you don't get an error on starting then that is the file that you need (moving the files to a USB and transferring them back one by one should work).

Then perhaps we could find/share that single file for those whose CD is broken.

I'm guessing it will look for an ini file or a flg file or something not otherwise used. Just a thought, I hate losing information, the disappearance of the realms l archives still gets me down.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 18 Sep 2019 17:00:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2019 :  04:00:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Major bummer if the CDs lose their magnetism and weren't copied onto a hardrive

Uh... CDs have nothing at all to do with magnetism. Data is written onto them as a series of pits, which are read by a laser.

As long as they're not exposed to major temperature fluctuations and the disk doesn't get scratched or dirty, they'll last for half of forever.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2019 :  10:42:19  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All sorted, you can mount a cd iso using winiso, as long as it is designated as the D: drive (perhaps requiring you to change the drive letter of your existing dvdrom), then the patches will pick up the new mounted cdrom iso and run.

All three patches appear to be successfully installed (although i barely used the original so i dont know how to check).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2019 :  11:24:50  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

All sorted, you can mount a cd iso using winiso, as long as it is designated as the D: drive (perhaps requiring you to change the drive letter of your existing dvdrom), then the patches will pick up the new mounted cdrom iso and run.

All three patches appear to be successfully installed (although i barely used the original so i dont know how to check).

If Maskyr's Eye is mapped (near Mulmaster), then the 3rd patch is installed. Don't remember how ot check the other 2.

--
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000