Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Elvish dictionary in alphabetical order?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2018 :  05:37:26  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm trying to decipher the words from elvish to English.

I want to write "Book of Shadow Mastery"

Or tel'kiira of shadow mastery.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2018 :  17:50:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Shadow is "n'vae" (i.e. not light). Ed has told me that book is "antath". I don't have a word for "mastery". Let's use a suitably sounding word: how about: "rilae" - with "rilahr" being master). Oh, and I use "os" for of.

So "book of shadow mastery" might be "antathos rilan'vae" or "anatathos n'vaerilae" or, well, you get the idea. Same goes with a the gem of shadow mastery. Just substitute "tel'kiira" for "antathos".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 28 Feb 2018 23:15:26
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2018 :  19:26:45  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Shadow is "n'vae" (i.e. not light). Ed has told me that book is "antath". I don't have a word for "mastery". Let's use a suitably sounding word: how about: "rilae" - with "rilahr" being master). Oh, and I use "os" for of.

So "book of shadow mastery" might be "antathos rilan'vae" or "anatathos n'vaerilae" or, well, you get the idea. Same goes with a the gem of shaow mastery. Just substitute "tel'kiira" for "anthathos".

-- George Krashos

Thank you so very much Krashos.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2018 :  23:17:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are welcome.

I did do a further edit which doesn't appear to have gone through.

You would substitute "kiir" (gem) instead of "tel'kiira" as the latter is a lore gem and a very different thing to a normal gem stone, even if it was enspelled.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2018 :  20:52:54  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

You are welcome.

I did do a further edit which doesn't appear to have gone through.

You would substitute "kiir" (gem) instead of "tel'kiira" as the latter is a lore gem and a very different thing to a normal gem stone, even if it was enspelled.

-- George Krashos

Actually, I am going for a High Lore gem, made in the very ancient elven city of Sharlarion by the High priest of Erevan in that city. So I'm thinking of calling it Rilan'vae Selu-Kiira. Does that work??
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2018 :  07:33:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah sure. Of course, if it is something unique you might actually give it a name - which doesn't necessarily need to be translatable. Like "the Atharamon, the Shadow Gem of Sharlarion" or somesuch.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2018 :  19:09:06  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's "Elven Dictionary", but it has no sources marked (some entries certainly come from Ed's answers, others may be from Dragon, who knows?) and falls under the single most fangirled-upon subject in the whole genre of fantasy, so the quality of each specific entry is unknown.
"Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms" has sources, but with little Elvish and the collection was not updated much.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 09 Mar 2018 19:14:46
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2018 :  02:21:20  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-It's all canon (novels, sourcebooks, WotC online articles, author threads) or derived from extrapolating specific words from canon phrases, but it's also way out of date; The WotC forum one was a little more recent (but that's dead), and the one here is probably about ten years or so out of date.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 10 Mar 2018 02:22:26
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2018 :  05:25:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem with the Elvish tongue in the Realms is that you have three prime sources: the Cormanthyr/Fall of Myth Drannor sourcebooks by Steven Schend, Ed's lore and material from the fiction line. Some of the fiction material is very Earth-derivative (such as the work of Mark Sehestedt - Frostfell, etc: he used American Indian languages as his baseline; go figure ... ) while the stuff of Rich Baker (Last Mythal series) and Keith Strohm (Bladesinger) isn't too difficult to blend in. It's not what I would describe as a cohesive whole though.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2018 :  06:05:14  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-All of the Lythari words and phrases from Mark Sehestedt's stuff, I always denoted as "Eastern Lythari", distinct from the regular dialect of Lythari and the rest of Elven given that they were presented as a completely distinct culture, having very little connection to Elves elsewhere. Same with the eastern Elves of al-Qahera, but I really don't remember if any terminology was shared in that book, now that I think about it.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000