Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Hartkiller's Horn. *Spoilers for the AL module*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

prototype00
Acolyte

48 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2018 :  15:32:25  Show Profile  Visit prototype00's Homepage Send prototype00 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So after playing this module, and nearly getting smoked by the beast of Talos, I went and did some research, and apparently Hartkiller and the whole kingdom of Ostoria was a tribute to Troy Denning's giant series (that I actually had no idea about!).

Is Hartkiller being back (and a giant demigod and all that) and a resurgent Ostoria (I mean, it is his kingdom, after all?) mean anything significant either prophecy or politics wise for the Realms?

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2018 :  06:12:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope.

Ostoria and the whole Giants saga was always a very poor fit in the Realms. Not that it couldn't have fit, with a little effort, but no effort was given. That series could have taken place on any generic fantasy world and it would not have made one bit of difference. Hartsvale never even existed on any FR maps, and had to be shoe-horned in after the series (and one related sourcebook - Giantcraft - which probably has all the info you need).

As far as I know, Tavis Burden was the 'hero' of that saga, and should have been 'Hartkiller reborn', or some-such. Hartkiller himself played little if any role in the series - it was all backstory.

Geeze, the giant pantheon is getting as crowded as the conjoined Elven/Fey one.

EDIT:
GIANT pantheon you said?

Hartkiller's whole gig was KILLING giants so humans could take over.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Feb 2018 06:15:08
Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2018 :  18:22:25  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Nope.

Ostoria and the whole Giants saga was always a very poor fit in the Realms. Not that it couldn't have fit, with a little effort, but no effort was given. That series could have taken place on any generic fantasy world and it would not have made one bit of difference. Hartsvale never even existed on any FR maps, and had to be shoe-horned in after the series (and one related sourcebook - Giantcraft - which probably has all the info you need).

As far as I know, Tavis Burden was the 'hero' of that saga, and should have been 'Hartkiller reborn', or some-such. Hartkiller himself played little if any role in the series - it was all backstory.

Geeze, the giant pantheon is getting as crowded as the conjoined Elven/Fey one.

EDIT:
GIANT pantheon you said?

Hartkiller's whole gig was KILLING giants so humans could take over.

One tie-in is Madeiron Sunderstone. He is a descendent of the Hartkiller as related in the Waterdeep 3.5 sourcebook and later accepted and confirmed as canon by Ed.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2018 :  22:07:28  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rest assure. No adventure in the AL program is considered to be canon (as of yet), anyways (logical, as some adventures can be run by authors only, meaning not everyone can get those).

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2020 :  17:25:28  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Prototype,

I concur with Explorer Markustay. That being said...

While there is no prophecy on the matter that I am aware of (and my next suggestion is not even remotely canon), you could easily create one as one of the 8000'ish Phoenix Prophecies that have never been detailed.

Good stuff to research. :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by prototype00

So after playing this module, and nearly getting smoked by the beast of Talos, I went and did some research, and apparently Hartkiller and the whole kingdom of Ostoria was a tribute to Troy Denning's giant series (that I actually had no idea about!).

Is Hartkiller being back (and a giant demigod and all that) and a resurgent Ostoria (I mean, it is his kingdom, after all?) mean anything significant either prophecy or politics wise for the Realms?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000