Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Shields of the North
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3594 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2018 :  19:32:22  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I'm starting a new group with my kids. I played a long running campaign with friends for nearly two decades called The Shields of the North...and now my kids and some of their friends are wanting to play too.

We are starting in Phlan in the Ruins of Adventure; with the following things "in the future" for them:

Against the Slavers: will be "in the area" by having Darkshelf Quarry actually be one of the early adventures. Replacing the Village of Darkshelf with the city of Phlan who will be using the Quarry to bring stone for rebuilding. I'm pushing the other segments of the module to the Pirate Isles though. Slavers come into the Moonsea to buy slaves and to take them as well. Details are sketchy right now; but the essence is there.

Against the Giants: After the city of Phlan is "saved" giants will start raiding outlying settlements. Hill Giant Chief will be in the foothills of the Dragonspines...then the others in the Dragonspine Mountains.

Temple of Elemental Evil: will be in Sullaspryn. No village of Hommlet. Going to convert Sullaspryn to a pirate haven (a version of Nulb).

I have several smaller adventures planned too; but for the most part I'm only going to place things "in their way" and let them go from there.

Current party is:

Oynstein: LG human male Paladin of the Triad.

Din of the Dragonspine Mts.: CG dwarf male Barbarian (Battlerager).

Caelcormac: CN elf male Fighter/Magic-User

Krage: N human male Druid

Ahleena: N elf female Magic-user/Thief

?: NG elf female Cleric/Magic-User (daughter hasn't decided a name)

More to come...

AD&D for me!

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2018 :  00:56:09  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would you oppose the slavers? Just sell them your prisoners and any family members who keep pestering you about letting their thieving family go. Solves all sorts of problems. You might have to go behind the backs of various do gooders or the like. Slaves are not coming back and if you supply them they will leave you alone. Slavers are harassing Phlan and you kill three birds with one stone. Keep the Paladin and Dwarf out of the loop lead off by your daughter to route out an undead problem while the Thief, Druid and Fighter Magic User solve the Prison over crowding problem.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Seeker

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2018 :  01:24:28  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

So I'm starting a new group with my kids. I played a long running campaign with friends for nearly two decades called The Shields of the North...and now my kids and some of their friends are wanting to play too.

We are starting in Phlan in the Ruins of Adventure; with the following things "in the future" for them:

Against the Slavers: will be "in the area" by having Darkshelf Quarry actually be one of the early adventures. Replacing the Village of Darkshelf with the city of Phlan who will be using the Quarry to bring stone for rebuilding. I'm pushing the other segments of the module to the Pirate Isles though. Slavers come into the Moonsea to buy slaves and to take them as well. Details are sketchy right now; but the essence is there.

Against the Giants: After the city of Phlan is "saved" giants will start raiding outlying settlements. Hill Giant Chief will be in the foothills of the Dragonspines...then the others in the Dragonspine Mountains.

Temple of Elemental Evil: will be in Sullaspryn. No village of Hommlet. Going to convert Sullaspryn to a pirate haven (a version of Nulb).

I have several smaller adventures planned too; but for the most part I'm only going to place things "in their way" and let them go from there.

Current party is:

Oynstein: LG human male Paladin of the Triad.

Din of the Dragonspine Mts.: CG dwarf male Barbarian (Battlerager).

Caelcormac: CN elf male Fighter/Magic-User

Krage: N human male Druid

Ahleena: N elf female Magic-user/Thief

?: NG elf female Cleric/Magic-User (daughter hasn't decided a name)

More to come...

Why not include Ravenloft (the module). We had a blast running through that one. You could actually get your kids to respect vampires again. Just be sure to stress that Strahd will do a lot more than just sparkle if they catch him in sunlight.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2018 :  03:14:30  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What levels are these characters? Are you running this as a city adventure or a failed dystopia city adventure? Ie The city has fallen and is over run with 'monsters' or The City officials are hiring you or you live in the city and are part of the militia and are taking back the city block by block.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2037 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2018 :  11:31:00  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you using the pool of radiance / Tyranthraxus story? If so do you intend to tie Bane and the Zhentarim to the Slavers and then to Temple of Elemental Evil? Could make an interesting through-line. You could even work the Citadel of the Raven into against the giants.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000