Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fiend-blooded drow?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2018 :  21:47:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL - I have been reading his name that way since I first bought the 1e DD guide oh so many years ago (and it was my FIRST TSR purchase). I had other books given or lent to me, for I had been playing D&D (and other RPGs) for a couple of years already. I will always read his name thusly, because it makes me smile (and think back when I bought that most wonderous tome).

I have a new theory {did I just hear the sound of a stampede leaving? }... well, maybe not so much 'new', as it is an extension of my already-existing, ever-evolving 'Overcosmology' theorems. I have 12 dimensions now, or rather, had twelve - twp conjoined into one, giving us the current '11-dimensional model'. Some of that is fairly new. Bu what I've been focusing on as of late is 'power sources', and I think there is one 'Cosmic Power Source' per dimension. (Arcane) Magic is Mana, and is linked to Gaea (who is the conjoined dimension of Ymir) - the two together are now linked: The Material planes & Magic. And the two Supernals represent the two sides of Raw Magic - Positive & negative, or Arcane and Umbral (Shadow). Really, two sides of the same coin.

Most of that is old material I am just repeating for clarity. But with that, I now realize I should have sources of power for each dimension. The 4th dimension/Time/Chronus should have some sort of 'Tempera' (Temporal) energy. It also means there should have been one for Ahura Mazda (proto-Jazirian) and Angra Mainyu (Ahriman), which should mean there should be some sort of 'fiendish' power source emanating from the pits of Hell, as well (and likewise, a 'Divine' one emanating from the Heavens). And so on, and so forth (I'm still on the fence of whether I want to change the Feywild into a dimension).

I am only discussing this stuff here because it also relates to aboriginal planer races, which I am now redefining as Dimensional races. The Baatorans are native to the dimension/being of Angra-Mainyu. They are literally dollops of 'Fiend energy' given sentience, that form naturally from the Planestuff. Each dimension should have these (which is why I am having trouble with the Fey and Feywild with this new take). 'Angels' arise out of the divine energy permeating the Upper Planes (the Ahura-Mazda). EVERYTHING else would be an 'interloper' at some point, even Tannar'ri and Batezu, who may have 'gone native', but aren't aboriginal. The closest thing to 'aborigines' of the Abyss would be the elementals, which would include their 'nobility', the Dgen. So I suppose Tanar'ri ARE aboriginal, in the sense that they are corrupted forms of the elementals.

And now this all made me realize that of this 'naturally occurring' (spawning) planesraces, their should be at least two 'tiers' - common, and Hier[b]arch[/i]. If we pretend the universe is a CCG, maybe there is also an in-between tier of 'Uncommon'.
Hier[b]arch[/i]s rarely spawn anymore, since most of them are long-established (Arch-this or that). Or perhaps they still do spawn, but the established one move quickly to destroy/subvert it. Except on the Upper Planes, where they'll always welcome an new Archangel (maybe).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Feb 2018 21:47:32
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2018 :  21:51:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
***UGH!***

As usual, I completely lost my point I was trying to make - sorry.

My point was going to be that Faerzress is something 'leftover' - a power source forgotten about. Perhaps a piece of the original Ymir (or even a node of some other dimension).

Or, what if that is a purified form* of some 'Fey power source'? And it can react with (mutate, etc... all power-sources should have some form of 'radiation') with most things, but reacts the most heavily with stuff of fey origins - Dark Elves, and gnomes? It seems to me it would almost be a corrupted form of the fey power source (like how we have 'places of power' for fey on the surface, these sub-surface ones would be corrupted versions).

EDIT:
This is a whole new line of reasoning for me, so if its inconsistent, my apologies. Its still evolving. I don't like turning the Feywild into a dimension, so I have to play with that some more. Perhaps its a reflection of a dimension... something like that.

And DAMN, I hate musing about this stuff right now, knowing there is a book coming out that's going to stomp all over whatever I come up with.

EDIT2:
* And by 'purified', I mean its too dangerous for mortals to handle, just like Raw magic is to humans. It has a corrupting/warping/mutagenic affect on a race it is most 'tuned to'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Feb 2018 21:56:55
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  10:10:51  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

And DAMN, I hate musing about this stuff right now, knowing there is a book coming out that's going to stomp all over whatever I come up with.

So uh...
I'm desperately trying to expand my Out of the Abyss theorycrafting and I have a Ghuanadaur Warlock in the party and they've just started to begin messing around with Faezress..
What'd you find in that new book now that you've had the two years?

I know I have to read these books at some point but I'm still drowning in the omnipresence of That Which Lurks as well as the vast nothingness that is anything east or south of the High Forest in the past 200 years of lore. I started this new adventure less than a hundred miles from Hellgate and I am starting to stress out over not knowing how to juggle Daemonfae, high forest wood elves, drow, and all of this madness. Here I am now realizing that I'm horribly ignorant of the actual matter of facts when it comes to Faezress.
I've been hooked on Forgotten Realms stuff since I first asked my questions about Netheril and Orcus here four years ago.

... Also I am equally obsessed now with the same things OP asked about House Baerngdaleth and the Fey'ri in their relation to the Drow.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000