Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Not going to make it to Gen Con this year. :(
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2018 :  18:40:19  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Unfortunately, due to various circumstances (including finances and my dad's health) I won't be able to come this year. I would love to attend the seminar and see you all SO BAD, though...

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2018 :  19:01:43  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually requested a mini vacation (paid vacation from work) this year to go to GenCon. But a few things changed my mind. One of them was that WotC is (again) absent from GenCon.

So no big loss. I just saved several hundreds of dollars by cancelling my plans, didn't even bother to buy con tickets or book a flight.

Next year, I'll just request some vacation days off to attend….. Origins or a smaller con. That's where WotC and the D&D troupe seem to be.

I have been to 2 GenCons in the past, and I do like Indianapolis. (I'm a West Coaster who has to fly thousands of miles). But so many things have conspired to discourage me from going again. Lack of official WotC presence. Every year it becomes harder and harder to book a decent hotel room next to the con. And of course, it's easily the most overpriced gaming con. Origins con tickets (for all 4-5 days) is like half the price.

I suppose I'd still be a GenCon fan if I actually preferred Paizo/Pathfinder. But I have no interest in Pathfinder.

Edited by - moonbeast on 15 Feb 2018 19:04:32
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2018 :  20:13:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Paizo killed WotC and took their stuff?

And then WotC was resurrected in 5e and has moved to Origins?

quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

So no big loss. I just saved several hundreds of dollars by cancelling my plans, didn't even bother to buy con tickets or book a flight.
I just saved hundreds of dollars by switching to Ge... staying at home.

I have to wonder, though, why so many of our FR luminaries insist on still meeting-up at Gencon, when it obviously isn't even a D&D con anymore. The CK-meetup should probably switch cons as well. I don't even see a point in going if WotC isn't going to be there.

Not that I was going this year anyway - similar reasons to yours above, Moonbeast. Aside from the family & money issues, I also agree with your assertion - Gencon has become an over-priced costume party for people who have little connection to gaming and just want attention, IMO. I felt it even back in 2012 - it was more like a facade of gaming. All glitz and no substance - the WotC booth wasn't even selling D&D products (they weren't selling anything!) - it was just a demo of a VG (Neverwinter, I think), and giant statues of Drizzt & Lolth. That was it. If I hadn't accidentally run into Richard Lee Bryars there (who was also 'hiding and just trying to take a load off' for a few minutes amidst all the noise and confusion), my going to their booth would have been 100% a waste of my time.

Meeting and talking to him one-on-one was definitely one of the highlights, though. For a guy who 'does horror', he was the consummate 'well-spoken gentleman', which caught me off-guard. I picture them all being like Stephen king.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Feb 2018 20:24:57
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2018 :  21:24:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This year will be my last one for a while. Financial commitments loom in the future and so solo indulgent trips to the US aren't likely to be high in the pecking order.

I suppose that the Candlekeep Seminar is held at GenCon because you can be guaranteed that about 100 devotees of the Realms in different shades and stripes will make the effort to attend. Not sure that would be replicated at any other Con.

Plan to make it to Gamehole one time - despite the far more difficult logistics and time of year - but for now absolutely looking forward to Gen Con this year. It won;t be the same without Ed but I'm hoping to lure a few FR luminaries to the Con, fingers crossed.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 15 Feb 2018 21:25:57
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2018 :  17:17:11  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope your fathers health improves.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000