Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lunar eclipses
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2018 :  17:29:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Pulled from ask ED thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Sunderstone

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I know he's not going to come around ans answer, but just for shiggles...

We know (I think) that Toril has regular eclipses, right? I believe I recall reading about that, probably here at the 'Keep. Regular Solar eclipses.

But do Lunar eclipses occur?

Logic says yes. However depending on size and distance of bodies might not be total eclipse.

Amazingly Earth is the only planet in our Solar System that can have a total Solar and Lunar Eclipse. The math doesn't work our for any other planets, even ones with multiple moons.

The logic I am applying is if the moon can eclipse Toril the shadow gets between the sun and the planet. That the orbit thus will about fourteen days later have a good chance of Toril providing shade to the moon. I did not say a total eclipse was likely just eclipse would happen.

As far as this discussion goes the FR eicki claims both are common, because of size and orbit.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2018 :  17:48:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rephrased my question in Ed's thread to allow that all the math/science worked out correctly.

You see, I don't actually care about that... what I want to know is does Toril still have it's shadow?

Because I think it's 'shadow' is 'out of sync'.

EDIT:
Because of NDA's and 'other suff', when approaching Ed on certain subjects, I find its sometimes helpful to come at him obliquely. This scene from I, Robot comes to mind.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Feb 2018 17:52:33
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2018 :  17:53:44  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I rephrased my question in Ed's thread to allow that all the math/science worked out correctly.

You see, I don't actually care about that... what I want to know is does Toril still have it's shadow?

Because I think it's 'shadow' is 'out of sync'.

EDIT:
Because of NDA's and 'other suff', when approaching Ed on certain subjects, I find its sometimes helpful to come at him obliquely. This scene for I, Robot comes to mind.

Heck it is possible one of the deities took the Shadow ;)

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000