Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Riatavin
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2018 :  23:44:04  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Branching from Vilhon reach and psionic development thread.
What do we know about this city?
Founded in 1000 DR. Secedes from Amn to Tethyr in 1370 (along with Trailstone).
Before that, halfling realm of Meiritin (227 DR - 520s) was in the Tejam Hills and east, which is why there are many halflings between Riatavin and Esmeltaran.
An unusual feature is College of the Eclipse, which is likely to be descended from traditions of Jhaamdath.
Had a resident Herald office Thorn Tree, until assassinated in 1370 (by Eldreth Veluuthra, due to being a half-elf).
Temples: Firehair Hall (Sune), The Lodge of Coins (Waukeen)
Criminal organizations: Shadow Thieves cell. And presumably Knights of the Shield.

What else?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 09 Feb 2018 23:51:44

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2018 :  23:51:07  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
One notable priest in Riatavin is Kyrie Fonseos (LN hf P7-Azuth), a recent arrival from Iriaebor,
who planned to work in Riatavin until she could raise enough money to travel farther south to Duhlnarim.
She is not known to the leaders of the city, but she will protect who and what she can
around her current dwelling and work place, the Roaring Manticore inn.

And due to its location and peculiar architecture, Iriaebor attracts my attention.
Dis she badly miscalculate funds? Had money stolen? No details. And then she "planned" to stay for a while. In an inn. Really?
I wonder what work a priestess of Azuth from Iriaebor (of all places) had in Riatavin (of all places) - that was temporary, yet worth a minimal cover-up?
The local wizards are relatively modest and used to keep low profile, because they used to hide in Amn. And visiting them won't need cover-ups.
It's not like she won't know difference between psionics and arcane magic, so it's not the College of the Eclipse either.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2018 :  00:08:53  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It gets mentioned in the History section of Empires of the Shining Sea

Its defection is a central topic of Lands of Intrigue. Probably mentioned about 50 times in that book.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2018 :  00:10:17  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also - this is not any kind of canon or anything, but Riatavin was a city added to "The Darkest Day" - an expansion for the Shadows Of Amn video game. It was pretty cool.
Go to Top of Page

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2018 :  00:46:30  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Also - this is not any kind of canon or anything, but Riatavin was a city added to "The Darkest Day" - an expansion for the Shadows Of Amn video game. It was pretty cool.

What is their relationship with Emerald enclave, a power in the region?

I" am Sathia of Orogoth
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2018 :  01:02:27  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the best way to think of Riatavin is kind of like Casablanca. It is a neutral city, open for business. Everyone is taking their trade routes through it, mercenaries are going there to be hired, etc. It is not that close to the Emerald Enclave. You have the whole Shining Plains and 2 mountain ranges between them so I would guess they are not involved at all with each other.

The Emerald enclave is over in the Vilhon Reach - WAY at its Eastern end. That's pretty much half a continent away - like a Newfy and a Texan. Its closer than, say China, but not close.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2018 :  01:10:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its a pretty important trade city. Not only is it on the border of Amn and Tethyr, but also borders Erkazar as well, and is a main stopover for goods traveling to the west coast via the Vilhon Reach, along the Tethir Raod (which means goods also traveling down from Cormyr, Sembia and the Dales via the citystates in the Shining Plains. And lastly, goods heading north and south to and from the Lake of Steam, to all those other places I just mentioned. This is why Amn tried to go to war over it (before the Monsters attacked) - its so central to so much trade its amazing it isn't a metropolis, despite it not being on a coast. Your damn close to one of my favorite stomping-grounds in Riatavin (Erlkazar - a very rich and central place that everyone seems to forget about).

I was going to correct you and say Meiritin was up around Lake Weng, but then I realized I was thinking of Minsorran - I always get those two confused.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Feb 2018 01:13:17
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2018 :  01:18:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I think the best way to think of Riatavin is kind of like Casablanca. It is a neutral city, open for business. Everyone is taking their trade routes through it, mercenaries are going there to be hired, etc. It is not that close to the Emerald Enclave. You have the whole Shining Plains and 2 mountain ranges between them so I would guess they are not involved at all with each other.

The Emerald enclave is over in the Vilhon Reach - WAY at its Eastern end. That's pretty much half a continent away - like a Newfy and a Texan. Its closer than, say China, but not close.
I think he was thinking in terms of 4e/5e... where's there's literally a druid of the EE under every bed on the planet.

And he's right next to a Red Wizard, a Harper, and some dude in armor who is part of the Triad+1.

Its awfully crowded under beds in 4e/5e FR.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Feb 2018 22:56:02
Go to Top of Page

Balmar Foghaven
Learned Scribe

Canada
124 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2018 :  06:50:59  Show Profile Send Balmar Foghaven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I featured Riatavin in my adventure called "Trade of Night" posted on dmsguild for those interested in checking it out: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/188033/Trade-of-Night.

I took a few liberties with the canon, but that's why it's homebrew. :D

"Despair not, for in the end all things shall work out for the best - in at least one timeline."
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2018 :  00:09:03  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another significant coincidence is that College of the Eclipse is in the city that sits on the road through Erlkazar. The next town is Carradoon.
After Carradoon the road goes to Shining Plains. And under the middle of Shining Plains is... Oryndoll.
Huh. Almost like College of the Eclipse was placed there on purpose, to monitor/guard this road.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2018 :  03:32:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is also one of the few remaining Mage-school in that same area, south of Llorbauth on the Deepwash - The Mystic Academy (and 'mystics' is also a term for people who use psionic disciplines - a synergy school, perhaps?)

There are also two Duergar settlements nearby in the Osraun chain, not to mention Vaerndoun which is in the same region, just south of Chondath:
quote:
Vaerndoun - The complex is a network of interconnected caves, many containing lakes, that stretch in a northeast/southwest line for over a hundred miles, with the midpoint deep beneath the surface city of Torsch. The annual trade-fair in Vaerndoun, called “the Eleave” by the drow, takes place during the first two rides of Alturiak, and is run by a realm of illithids, who refer to themselves and their subterranean land as the Asglyth. (The price of admission to the fair is that all participants must bring slaves upon which the mind flayers feed.) PftF, pg.19

I never really noticed before how much psionc-related stuff is right around the Vilhon Reach.

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Feb 2018 03:35:11
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2018 :  17:34:40  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My own only guess as to what can possibly somehow involve Iriaebor, this area and magic at once is: there are reasons to suspect the City of a Thousand Spires is firmly in Sshamath's sphere of interest.
Then it makes sense.
For the drow merchants and Sshamath, the Eastern Tethyr has indeed places of interest:
- the great new market in Tethyr, of course, even better than the troublesome Amn;
- to the East, Oryndoll is very close;
- to the South, Forest of Mir with Vhaerunite drow (and another road to Oryndoll!) and the Spider Swamp behind it;
- maybe also College of the Eclipse, or rather psionically trained folk for hire, to cover all sides (they may have more than enough magic, but any drow should know better than to underestimate the illithids).
If they wanted a trade embassy in Tethyr or just a stable trade route, they'll need a negotiation with the local Counts and/or the monarchs. In which case involving a divinely backed mediator would help a lot, and indeed it's traditional among the wizards. And, of course it's a good idea for them to keep the low profile. So there's nothing to see, folk, just a traveling priestess with unusually competent guards and a bunch of merchants who happened to traveling the same way.
edit: links

Edited by - TBeholder on 30 Nov 2022 03:05:45
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2022 :  10:33:13  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only "known" route to the surface from Sshamath is to the Darkhold (Varalla created/found it and it is a secret kept by the Darkhold ever since). Now, that doesn't mean that Sshamath doesn't have a deal with the Darkhold to get goods out that way or even it is the Darkhold that is the ones doing the trading with Sshamath and then moving it through Iriaebor. For the stuff I am putting together for Iriaebor, it IS possible to purchase goods from Sshamath in Iriaebor if you know the right people to talk to.

As for the priestess of Azuth, Magic of Faerun has an established wizard's guild/association in Iriaebor in 1372 that was not mentioned in the 1368 update on the city. Sadly, that product says it is called the Silent Hall. It would seem the writers of that product missed the fact in their research that the temple of Eldath in Iriaebor is already called that. So, for my work on Iriaebor, I have it called something else, and the Silent Hall is sending people looking for the Iriaeben wizard's organization to the right location.

As for her saying she is from Iriaebor, that could be indeed where she was born and raised. It could also be that Iriaebor is the closest large city to an Azuthian abby or such and it is easier for her to just say she is from Iriaebor so people would know of the area she is from because Iriaebor would be a well-known location along the trade routes in Amn and Tethyr. There has been no information in any official work that specifies that there is a temple to Azuth in Iriaebor.

Also, it could be that she WAS part of a Azuthian delegation to Iriaebor as part of the initial contact with the city for the Thayan trade enclave that ends up being established at Iriaebor on or slighly before 1372. Again, there was no mention of it prior to the 3e stuff.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2022 :  08:22:57  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Kyrie Fonseos:
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

As for the priestess of Azuth, Magic of Faerun has an established wizard's guild/association in Iriaebor in 1372 that was not mentioned in the 1368 update on the city. Sadly, that product says it is called the Silent Hall. It would seem the writers of that product missed the fact in their research that the temple of Eldath in Iriaebor is already called that.

Without explanation?
How that's even possible... Did someone just pick a random location marked on the map? Or was there an actual story, but everything that made sense was cut out?
quote:
As for her saying she is from Iriaebor, that could be indeed where she was born and raised. It could also be that Iriaebor is the closest large city to an Azuthian abby or such and it is easier for her to just say she is from Iriaebor so people would know of the area she is from because Iriaebor would be a well-known location along the trade routes in Amn and Tethyr.

Also possible, of course.
"I'm from Iriaebor, too" while talking to some merchant would be enough. But when nothing else is known, this raises questions. If she is, for example, from the temple in Saerloon, why the only detail known is Iriaebor?
quote:
There has been no information in any official work that specifies that there is a temple to Azuth in Iriaebor.

Yes, but... Small shrines of just about anyone can be just about anywhere. AFAIK there were no mentions of any temple to Waukeen, though there should be some. Of course, in Iriaebor presence of Azuth is likely to be even less than that of Waukeen (except her "downtime").
My point was that for priests "of (Deity)" is often used instead of the family name and likewise the associated temple (if any) as identifying location. Thus "from Iriaebor" sounds like location of the temple to which she is attached (which if exists is a shrine too small to mention, and this raises more questions - what was so important to travel this far, to whom did she leave it, etc).
This makes the mission look either urgent or partially covert.

Of course, "recent arrival from Iriaebor" could mean simply the starting point for her journey, where she joined a caravan (perhaps she visited the place for a little talk about the magical buildings with those involved). But that's the least interesting possible explanation.
quote:
Also, it could be that she WAS part of a Azuthian delegation to Iriaebor as part of the initial contact with the city for the Thayan trade enclave that ends up being established at Iriaebor on or slighly before 1372. Again, there was no mention of it prior to the 3e stuff.

This would be a good idea. Or even better, have some priests permanently settled, between the Red Wizards and local history (as in, people continue to build stuff with magic, and there were problems, so let's maintain standards).
But the mention was from Lands of Intrigue, before the enclaves.

edit: Here are locations of Azuth's temples from LoI:
quote:
from Lands of Intrigue:

The largest temple to Azuth in the Lands of Intrigue stands in the town of Duhlnarim, at the High One's Hand
- Book Three: Erlkazar & Folk of Intrigue, p.3

The Mystics' Academy is an academic school for mages, alchemists, and a small sect of Azuthan and Mystran priests. It lies south of Llorbauth, on the shores of the Deepwash between Llorbauth and Duhlnarim.
- Book Three: Erlkazar & Folk of Intrigue, p.6

As the monarch's primary priest, she enjoys a bit more prestige and influence than the Court Minister, who is officially the senior prior for all six chapels (to Azuth, Chauntea, Deneir, Ilmater, Mystra, and Siamorphe) within the royal palace.
- Book Three: Erlkazar & Folk of Intrigue, p.32

(Duhlnarim is where Kyrie Fonseos is heading, once she collects those funds)
So either it's some otherwise unknown form of pilgrimage, or some mission required this priestess from North... rather than someone from a big temple in Duhlnarim (either on the road to Riatavin or too close for the map to resolve) or a monastery not far from there, or from Darromar.
Which points at either:
A: touchy political matter where a priest from neither Tethyr nor Erlkazar is preferable;
B: other local problems that require an outsider (illithids?);
C: some very specific expertise, absent in these areas.
And, of course, clergy of Azuth has embedded end allied wizards, who can lend a hand with teleport if some priest needs to be half a continent away tomorrow (after a few hours over a scrying pool, though a large temple to Azuth may be already known destination).
You see why this looks like a mystery to me.

Edited by - TBeholder on 01 Dec 2022 20:32:24
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2022 :  13:46:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As for the priestess of Azuth, Magic of Faerun has an established wizard's guild/association in Iriaebor in 1372 that was not mentioned in the 1368 update on the city. Sadly, that product says it is called the Silent Hall. It would seem the writers of that product missed the fact in their research that the temple of Eldath in Iriaebor is already called that. So, for my work on Iriaebor, I have it called something else, and the Silent Hall is sending people looking for the Iriaeben wizard's organization to the right location.

Ummmmm, that's because the REAL name of the Azuthian temple is "Subjacent to Silent Hall", and that alludes to the fact that entering that temple involves going to Silent Hall and activating the permanent magic mouth by asking "how do I get to the temple of Azuth?". The magic mouth then says "Speak the password and enter". The password is "password", such that when someone says "I don't know the farruking password" or something similar a previously hidden doorway (covered by a basic illusion spell) reveals that there are stairs that lead down to the basement, which is a small temple to Azuth.

So sayeth Perjoori Fabulist of Nimbral

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2022 :  14:10:08  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On drow interests:
quote:

The only "known" route to the surface from Sshamath is to the Darkhold (Varalla created/found it and it is a secret kept by the Darkhold ever since).

It's known as short and caravan-ready.
There may be any number of other paths, but they either go much longer through Underdark before approaching any useful surface exit (we know Sshamath is connected to the rest of Underdark, and Underdark obviously has many other exits) or are unsuitable for wagons or even pack lizards.
In this case, the other roads go through the Gauth Grottoes, where the gauth are said to be a constant threat to caravans despite patrols and periodical purges... and then it's just wild Underdark.
Since the length of a path multiplies costs not only in time and logistic expenses, but in risks, the more dangerous a terrain is, and the less trivial it is to circumvent a temporary problem, the more valuable a short route becomes. The wild Underdark really takes a cake here (and presumably turns it into an omnivorous pudding).
There's also teleport - convenient, but has very limited supply and does not allow large payload. Of course, magic items are not bulk trade.
Also, since teleport favors familiar areas, the likely early destinations are places that can be reached otherwise (on foot or mount) and scouted out, and the likely later destinations include a subset of early destinations that weren't discarded for some reason.
quote:
For the stuff I am putting together for Iriaebor, it IS possible to purchase goods from Sshamath in Iriaebor if you know the right people to talk to.

Sounds about right. Here are my considerations.
The places that provide opportunities to meet partners and arrange deals are where the merchant wants to be. The places directly used as markets or for transit of goods generally don't require a personal visit, it's just a matter of having trustworthy agents to run actual delivery.
The value of a place for arranging deals depends on amount, eligibility (for the desired trade) and variety of available merchants. Obviously, a nearby trade hub is better, because merchants present there are already active in the reachable area, but stretching the route is an option if worthwhile.
Extra points if there's additional business or other desirable activity to be done, as it's good for maintaining constant presence and gives additional contacts.
In context of magic trade, wizards are among the most desirable clients: demand for wider variety of goods, less hesitation (may have suspicions, but usually know how to make sure there's no foul game) and used to large expenses one way or another. And potentially capable of visiting the city on their own, especially if they'll want something not immediately available. Which is already reflected in Sshamath policies.
Between this and low risks, my guess of the top tier likely cities of interest to mage-merchants from Sshamath is:
Iriaebor.
Main advantage: proximity.
Extra activities: take contracts for magical architecture if in this business, watch the local climbers, slap Zhent hands away.
Saerloon.
Main advantages: great market for export (many rich merchants, many wizards, major demand, though mostly for protective items), major supply of desired goods (both local and imported from somewhere else).
Extra activities: play friendly games of "whack a Cult of the Dragon cell" with clergy of Mystra and Azuth, sample fine wines.
Ravens Bluff. Odd, but may be on the level of a semi-official embassy.
Main advantages: many wizards, drow may appear without disguise. Two potential jackpots for whoever can get along with the locals and hang around (once the gates re-open or that drow settlement becomes accessible).
Extra activities: make useful contacts without disguise, cooperate with the local wizards on dealing with motile wild/dead magic bubbles (since Sshamath has a similar problem thanks to Guardian Tear and local lunatics), tap very diverse magical lore for mysteries that cannot be pinned down easily, maybe enjoy the Moonglow.

To the North, Secomber could be attractive if reachable, but it may be easier to just go for Eryndlyn. Probably troublesome either way, since there's a big derro-illithid border war zone in Undermoors (Elminster's Ecologies Appendix 2, p.27).
To the South, Forest of Mir and beyond is an attractive destination. This would require negotiation with Tethyr (and worse, local elves), but given the amount of local problems, it's feasible.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000