Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New Drizzt novel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2170 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2018 :  00:09:47  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it is a Drizzt novel, it sounds like it goes back and forth between past and present. Maybe it will answer some of those questions I had at the end of Hero lol, though I was content with Hero being the end of the Drizzt series. I hope this means we will see more novels, if they have indeed found a new publisher. But we'll see.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3542 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2018 :  22:38:48  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I donít know why Iím the only one seeing this way, but I donít get the sense that it will be jumping back and forth. Itís pretty. Lead to me that it is D joining J and the newly resurrected Z for a road trip.

ď
R. A. Salvatore reveals the Underdark anew through the eyes of Zaknafein and Jarlaxleóan introduction to the darkness that offers a fresh view of the opportunities to be found in the shadows and an intriguing prelude to the intriguing escapes that lie ahead in the modern-day Forgotten Realms. Here, a father and his son are reunited and embark on adventures that parallel the trials of centuries long past as the friends of old are joined by Drizzt, Hero of the North, trained by Grandmaster Kane in the ways of the monkĒ

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2170 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2018 :  22:56:20  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds like that, but it also sounded like there may be back and forth. Or, based on that excerpt, perhaps it isn't a literal back and forth, but rather the past will be revealed as they go along.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Petra_W
Seeker

Germany
28 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  00:39:40  Show Profile Send Petra_W a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont care.

As a fangirl of the FR lore I would buy and read everything. Just pls give us new novels. I buyed some of the old books but it just doesn'nt feel the same when it playes centuries ago.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2170 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  01:03:43  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Petra_W

I dont care.

As a fangirl of the FR lore I would buy and read everything. Just pls give us new novels. I buyed some of the old books but it just doesn'nt feel the same when it playes centuries ago.



I am a fan of FR lore, myself, and while I haven't read every single FR novel, I have read a fair portion. I myself would love more FR novels. I just have mixed feelings about a new Drizzt novel, as much as I love Drizzt. But if some questions are answered, and it revives the FR novel line, I am all for it (and yes, I will buy it).

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Learned Scribe

94 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  01:05:44  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those plot details have now been released on the publisher's own site, if anyone needed added confirmation:

http://www.harpervoyagerbooks.com/book/9780062688583/unti-drizzt-1/
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2170 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  01:08:17  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the same summary that was provided before.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Learned Scribe

94 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  01:42:41  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Sounds like the same summary that was provided before.



Yep, just the added confirmation that it is now on the publisher's own site.
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Learned Scribe

94 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  02:58:03  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I still view it as a placeholder. For one thing, considering the limited amount of info, it suggests to me that things may still be under negotiations. Before the hiatus, WotC/Hasbro published it's own books. Now, if HC is in fact publishing a new Drizzt novel, it means WotC is looking for someone else to publish their novels, which means negotiations. The fact that it is only a placeholder on other sites suggests, to me at least, that not everything has been ironed out yet. I could be wrong, of course, but that is how I see it. I will of course be thrilled if WotC has worked something out, and we see a renewal of the FR novels.



"Placeholder" is a vague and undefined term that doesn't actually have any definite meaning (which is why it was initially used to try to knock down the leak). Ultimately, what's significant is that there is a plot, a release date, and a new publisher willing to make those details public on their own website, after they previously had it taken down when it was leaked to another site.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2170 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  03:09:16  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they have indeed found a publisher (and I hope it means not just the return of Drizzt, but other Far novels, too. I love the drow ranger, but I hope he Isn't the only FR literature published), and this is the beginning of a new wave of FR novels, then I am all for it. I am just trying not to jump to conclusions, especially because this seems so hush-hush.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Learned Scribe

94 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  03:16:06  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

If they have indeed found a publisher (and I hope it means not just the return of Drizzt, but other Far novels, too. I love the drow ranger, but I hope he Isn't the only FR literature published), and this is the beginning of a new wave of FR novels, then I am all for it. I am just trying not to jump to conclusions, especially because this seems so hush-hush.



It's pretty common for marketing purposes to want to tightly control information. The theory is that if the information comes out too early, by the time the book is published it will be "old news". Now personally, I think that kind of thinking is outdated in the social media age, where we see information leaking about forthcoming movies even years in advance, and it just gives hype the time to build and spread. Ultimately, by putting the info up on their own site, they seem to have concluded the cat is out of the bag anyway.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2170 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  04:30:15  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL, well with a Drizzt novel (or any FR novel, at this point), I doubt it will be "old news" by the time the release date comes around.

Sweet water and light laughter

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 12 Feb 2018 04:30:50
Go to Top of Page

Petra_W
Seeker

Germany
28 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  11:12:10  Show Profile Send Petra_W a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout
I just have mixed feelings about a new Drizzt novel, as much as I love Drizzt.



Feeling the same, but in this times we have to take, what we get.


For me drizzt story has got a good ending. The reveal of Zaknafein in the last novel was already too much for me. Salvatore continues the story everytime the drow and his friends have a good ending, the way it is written. :(


But I dont think we will get new sidestories or prequels without drizzt. :(
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
131 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  12:22:25  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Petra_W

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout
I just have mixed feelings about a new Drizzt novel, as much as I love Drizzt.



Feeling the same, but in this times we have to take, what we get.


For me drizzt story has got a good ending. The reveal of Zaknafein in the last novel was already too much for me. Salvatore continues the story everytime the drow and his friends have a good ending, the way it is written. :(


But I dont think we will get new sidestories or prequels without drizzt. :(




I think Hero had even too happy ending. As I said in some other scroll, it reminded me quite a bit of ending that David Eddings used to put to his books that completed the series.

I understand that Drizzt is the only way to go forward business wise, but it would be better book if we would only have Jar and Zak in it.
Go to Top of Page

Gareth
Seeker

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  16:48:17  Show Profile Send Gareth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://nerdist.com/drizzt-dourden-return-new-trilogy-ra-salvatore-timeless-exclusive/

Looks like its true. (Source: R.A. Salvatore sharing to the Forgotten Realms Archive on Facebook)

Interesting that the cover has no Forgotten Realms logo though, or indeed any D&D Branding at all.

I wonder what this suggests about other Realms fiction.
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  19:59:55  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gareth

https://nerdist.com/drizzt-dourden-return-new-trilogy-ra-salvatore-timeless-exclusive/

Looks like its true. (Source: R.A. Salvatore sharing to the Forgotten Realms Archive on Facebook)

Interesting that the cover has no Forgotten Realms logo though, or indeed any D&D Branding at all.

I wonder what this suggests about other Realms fiction.



It is true via Bob's twitter account. I asked about the lack of logo/branding, but we'll see if he answers me.
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Learned Scribe

94 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  22:13:55  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The lack of logo/branding suggests that they have, at this time, only paid to license Drizzt and related characters, not the Realms in general or D&D. But if the Drizzt novel does well, that could easily change.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2170 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  22:30:22  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Madpig

quote:
Originally posted by Petra_W

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout
I just have mixed feelings about a new Drizzt novel, as much as I love Drizzt.



Feeling the same, but in this times we have to take, what we get.


For me drizzt story has got a good ending. The reveal of Zaknafein in the last novel was already too much for me. Salvatore continues the story everytime the drow and his friends have a good ending, the way it is written. :(


But I dont think we will get new sidestories or prequels without drizzt. :(




I think Hero had even too happy ending. As I said in some other scroll, it reminded me quite a bit of ending that David Eddings used to put to his books that completed the series.

I understand that Drizzt is the only way to go forward business wise, but it would be better book if we would only have Jar and Zak in it.



Well, I am a sap for happy endings lol. I probably would have been far less content with Hero being the end (until now) than I am. But I agree, the Drizzt story should have ended with Hero. Let him keep his happy ending lol.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2170 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  22:39:22  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gareth

https://nerdist.com/drizzt-dourden-return-new-trilogy-ra-salvatore-timeless-exclusive/

Looks like its true. (Source: R.A. Salvatore sharing to the Forgotten Realms Archive on Facebook)

Interesting that the cover has no Forgotten Realms logo though, or indeed any D&D Branding at all.

I wonder what this suggests about other Realms fiction.



"Salvatore created Drizzt 30 years ago, so itís not surprising he feels so close to the character. ďIím super excited to be able to work with Wizards of the Coast, David Pomerico and the folks at Harper Voyager to continue to publish Drizzt stories set in the Forgotten Realms,Ē he said."

From Bob's words, it can either mean that Bob (and HV) got a license to publish the Drizzt novels (he says set in the Forgotten Realms, but the way it is phrased almost makes it sound like he gets to use Faerun as the backdrop, but do his own thang--which, IMO, he's been doing with Drizzt the whole time, anyway), or it means Harper will now be taking over publishing FR novels, and Drizzt is the first.

Wait...so the Harpers are now publishing novels? LOL couldn't resist.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2830 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  22:50:29  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Wait...so the Harpers are now publishing novels? LOL couldn't resist.



Is that a surprise? Most of them are bards ;)

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/

Edited by - Irennan on 12 Feb 2018 22:50:52
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30987 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2018 :  02:30:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

The lack of logo/branding suggests that they have, at this time, only paid to license Drizzt and related characters, not the Realms in general or D&D.


I think that's reading too much into it. WotC has been moving away from branding for a while, now.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30987 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2018 :  02:31:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cannot begin to say how much I can't stand that artwork. If I was browsing thru my local bookstore, saw that cover, and it was my first exposure to anything even peripherally D&D related -- I'd keep right on going, without a second glance.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2018 :  03:41:40  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage  Send Drizztsmanchild a Yahoo! Message Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/963090282437861376

From the main man himself. Ed also confirms this. Here's hoping,while I am a fan of Drizzt novels, it's not just Drizzt returning
Also this is a new trilogy. So maybe the first will take place purely in the past detailing Zak and Jax beginning friendship and an issue they had to deal with but have a prologue and epilogue in the present setting up the next two novels.

Edited by - Drizztsmanchild on 13 Feb 2018 03:47:09
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2170 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2018 :  04:04:33  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I cannot begin to say how much I can't stand that artwork. If I was browsing thru my local bookstore, saw that cover, and it was my first exposure to anything even peripherally D&D related -- I'd keep right on going, without a second glance.



I heard the artwork isn't final, and that isn't the actual cover art.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30987 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2018 :  04:55:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I cannot begin to say how much I can't stand that artwork. If I was browsing thru my local bookstore, saw that cover, and it was my first exposure to anything even peripherally D&D related -- I'd keep right on going, without a second glance.



I heard the artwork isn't final, and that isn't the actual cover art.



That is likely, given that the book assumably won't see print for some time, yet (I've not looked at the relevant article). It's not uncommon for cover art to change before publication.

That said, some Realms novels have had some truly horrible cover art, so I can see this -- or something with a similar style -- getting used on some future novel.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000