Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New Drizzt novel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  01:05:44  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those plot details have now been released on the publisher's own site, if anyone needed added confirmation:

http://www.harpervoyagerbooks.com/book/9780062688583/unti-drizzt-1/
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  01:08:17  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the same summary that was provided before.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  01:42:41  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Sounds like the same summary that was provided before.

Yep, just the added confirmation that it is now on the publisher's own site.
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  02:58:03  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I still view it as a placeholder. For one thing, considering the limited amount of info, it suggests to me that things may still be under negotiations. Before the hiatus, WotC/Hasbro published it's own books. Now, if HC is in fact publishing a new Drizzt novel, it means WotC is looking for someone else to publish their novels, which means negotiations. The fact that it is only a placeholder on other sites suggests, to me at least, that not everything has been ironed out yet. I could be wrong, of course, but that is how I see it. I will of course be thrilled if WotC has worked something out, and we see a renewal of the FR novels.

"Placeholder" is a vague and undefined term that doesn't actually have any definite meaning (which is why it was initially used to try to knock down the leak). Ultimately, what's significant is that there is a plot, a release date, and a new publisher willing to make those details public on their own website, after they previously had it taken down when it was leaked to another site.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  03:09:16  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they have indeed found a publisher (and I hope it means not just the return of Drizzt, but other Far novels, too. I love the drow ranger, but I hope he Isn't the only FR literature published), and this is the beginning of a new wave of FR novels, then I am all for it. I am just trying not to jump to conclusions, especially because this seems so hush-hush.

Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  03:16:06  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If they have indeed found a publisher (and I hope it means not just the return of Drizzt, but other Far novels, too. I love the drow ranger, but I hope he Isn't the only FR literature published), and this is the beginning of a new wave of FR novels, then I am all for it. I am just trying not to jump to conclusions, especially because this seems so hush-hush.

It's pretty common for marketing purposes to want to tightly control information. The theory is that if the information comes out too early, by the time the book is published it will be "old news". Now personally, I think that kind of thinking is outdated in the social media age, where we see information leaking about forthcoming movies even years in advance, and it just gives hype the time to build and spread. Ultimately, by putting the info up on their own site, they seem to have concluded the cat is out of the bag anyway.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  04:30:15  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL, well with a Drizzt novel (or any FR novel, at this point), I doubt it will be "old news" by the time the release date comes around.

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 12 Feb 2018 04:30:50
Go to Top of Page

Petra_W
Acolyte

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  11:12:10  Show Profile Send Petra_W a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I just have mixed feelings about a new Drizzt novel, as much as I love Drizzt.

Feeling the same, but in this times we have to take, what we get.

For me drizzt story has got a good ending. The reveal of Zaknafein in the last novel was already too much for me. Salvatore continues the story everytime the drow and his friends have a good ending, the way it is written. :(

But I dont think we will get new sidestories or prequels without drizzt. :(
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  12:22:25  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Petra_W

quote:

For me drizzt story has got a good ending. The reveal of Zaknafein in the last novel was already too much for me. Salvatore continues the story everytime the drow and his friends have a good ending, the way it is written. :(

I think Hero had even too happy ending. As I said in some other scroll, it reminded me quite a bit of ending that David Eddings used to put to his books that completed the series.

I understand that Drizzt is the only way to go forward business wise, but it would be better book if we would only have Jar and Zak in it.
Go to Top of Page

Gareth
Seeker

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  16:48:17  Show Profile Send Gareth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://nerdist.com/drizzt-dourden-return-new-trilogy-ra-salvatore-timeless-exclusive/

Looks like its true. (Source: R.A. Salvatore sharing to the Forgotten Realms Archive on Facebook)

Interesting that the cover has no Forgotten Realms logo though, or indeed any D&D Branding at all.

I wonder what this suggests about other Realms fiction.
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  19:59:55  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gareth

https://nerdist.com/drizzt-dourden-return-new-trilogy-ra-salvatore-timeless-exclusive/

Looks like its true. (Source: R.A. Salvatore sharing to the Forgotten Realms Archive on Facebook)

Interesting that the cover has no Forgotten Realms logo though, or indeed any D&D Branding at all.

It is true via Bob's twitter account. I asked about the lack of logo/branding, but we'll see if he answers me.
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  22:13:55  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The lack of logo/branding suggests that they have, at this time, only paid to license Drizzt and related characters, not the Realms in general or D&D. But if the Drizzt novel does well, that could easily change.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  22:30:22  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Madpig

quote:

quote:

I think Hero had even too happy ending. As I said in some other scroll, it reminded me quite a bit of ending that David Eddings used to put to his books that completed the series.

I understand that Drizzt is the only way to go forward business wise, but it would be better book if we would only have Jar and Zak in it.

Well, I am a sap for happy endings lol. I probably would have been far less content with Hero being the end (until now) than I am. But I agree, the Drizzt story should have ended with Hero. Let him keep his happy ending lol.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  22:39:22  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gareth

"Salvatore created Drizzt 30 years ago, so it’s not surprising he feels so close to the character. “I’m super excited to be able to work with Wizards of the Coast, David Pomerico and the folks at Harper Voyager to continue to publish Drizzt stories set in the Forgotten Realms,” he said."

From Bob's words, it can either mean that Bob (and HV) got a license to publish the Drizzt novels (he says set in the Forgotten Realms, but the way it is phrased almost makes it sound like he gets to use Faerun as the backdrop, but do his own thang--which, IMO, he's been doing with Drizzt the whole time, anyway), or it means Harper will now be taking over publishing FR novels, and Drizzt is the first.

Wait...so the Harpers are now publishing novels? LOL couldn't resist.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  22:50:29  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wait...so the Harpers are now publishing novels? LOL couldn't resist.

Is that a surprise? Most of them are bards ;)

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 12 Feb 2018 22:50:52
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2018 :  02:30:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

The lack of logo/branding suggests that they have, at this time, only paid to license Drizzt and related characters, not the Realms in general or D&D.

I think that's reading too much into it. WotC has been moving away from branding for a while, now.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2018 :  02:31:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cannot begin to say how much I can't stand that artwork. If I was browsing thru my local bookstore, saw that cover, and it was my first exposure to anything even peripherally D&D related -- I'd keep right on going, without a second glance.

Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2018 :  03:41:40  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/963090282437861376

From the main man himself. Ed also confirms this. Here's hoping,while I am a fan of Drizzt novels, it's not just Drizzt returning
Also this is a new trilogy. So maybe the first will take place purely in the past detailing Zak and Jax beginning friendship and an issue they had to deal with but have a prologue and epilogue in the present setting up the next two novels.

Edited by - Drizztsmanchild on 13 Feb 2018 03:47:09
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2018 :  04:04:33  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I cannot begin to say how much I can't stand that artwork. If I was browsing thru my local bookstore, saw that cover, and it was my first exposure to anything even peripherally D&D related -- I'd keep right on going, without a second glance.

I heard the artwork isn't final, and that isn't the actual cover art.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2018 :  04:55:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I heard the artwork isn't final, and that isn't the actual cover art.

That is likely, given that the book assumably won't see print for some time, yet (I've not looked at the relevant article). It's not uncommon for cover art to change before publication.

That said, some Realms novels have had some truly horrible cover art, so I can see this -- or something with a similar style -- getting used on some future novel.

Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2018 :  05:59:03  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Nerdist article gives a link that shows it is not only the cover, but is also being released as a promotional poster.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2018 :  06:25:31  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...lol Okay then. I agree with Wooly that it isn't great, but then again, fantasy covers sadly tend to be...um...not awesome. There are exceptions, but...yeah

Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2018 :  06:34:26  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm curious who the artist is and whether this an "experimental" style or their usual thing.
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2018 :  15:41:36  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not a fan of it either (haven't been a fan of the recent artwork of any FR novels) but my step-son loves it. To each their own.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2018 :  12:51:38  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fantasy artwork used to be amazing. Seems like no thought is put into the covers today.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Petra_W
Acolyte

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2018 :  22:56:14  Show Profile Send Petra_W a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me nothing can beat the german cover of the second book of the 6 part series about drizzt in the underdark (we got 2 translated books for every original from salvatore)

https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1190756416i/1949696._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

A drow matriarch on the surface and an elephant xD

Sadly at this time I was too young to read the novels in english. And it was nearly impossible to get books from GB or US.
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2018 :  16:13:55  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually bought Tangled Webs when it first came out and did not remember the cover being this bad.

https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1312023616l/2173551.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2018 :  18:07:12  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frankly I think I prefer those campy old school fantasy covers to some of the modern book covers.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2018 :  19:24:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For me nothing can beat the german cover of the second book of the 6 part series about drizzt in the underdark (we got 2 translated books for every original from salvatore)

https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1190756416i/1949696._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

Sadly at this time I was too young to read the novels in english. And it was nearly impossible to get books from GB or US.

That's reused artwork. It's from the Vale of the Mage module, which was set in Greyhawk.

TSR had a really, really bad tendency to reuse artwork.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2018 :  19:30:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

Wow. I thought the original cover of Tangled Webs, with an olive-skinned Liriel engaging in a spell battle (or perhaps rehearsing for a music video...) with an inexplicably busty illithid was the worst FR cover to date, but this one has it beat, hands down.

"Next up, the breakout video from new artists Liriel & Vestriss, with their debut song, 'Can't Get You Out of My Mind!'"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000