Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New Drizzt novel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  13:54:10  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Looks like Realms novels are back, and have been licensed to HarperCollins.

"At long last, New York Times bestselling author R. A. Salvatore returns with one of fantasy’s most beloved and enduring icons, the dark elf Drizzt Do’Urden, in an all-new trilogy full of swordplay, danger, and imaginative thrills

Centuries ago, in the city of Menzoberranzan, the City of Spiders, the City of Drow, nestled deep in the unmerciful Underdark of Toril, a young weapon master earned a reputation far above his station or that of his poor house.

The greater nobles watched him, and one matron, in particular, decided to take him as her own. She connived with rival great houses to secure her prize, but that prize was caught for her by another, who came to quite enjoy the weapon master.

This was the beginning of the friendship between Zaknafein and Jarlaxle, and the coupling of Matron Malice and the weapon master who would sire Drizzt Do’Urden.

R. A. Salvatore reveals the Underdark anew through the eyes of Zaknafein and Jarlaxle—an introduction to the darkness that offers a fresh view of the opportunities to be found in the shadows and an intriguing prelude to the intriguing escapes that lie ahead in the modern-day Forgotten Realms. Here, a father and his son are reunited and embark on adventures that parallel the trials of centuries long past as the friends of old are joined by Drizzt, Hero of the North, trained by Grandmaster Kane in the ways of the monk.

But the scourge of the dangerous Lolth’s ambitions remain, and demons have been foisted on the unwitting of the surface. The resulting chaos and war will prove to be the greatest challenge for all three."

https://www.edelweiss.plus/#sku=0062688596&page=1

http://www.harpervoyagerbooks.com/book/9780062688583/unti-drizzt-1/

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  14:55:12  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

Looks like Realms novels are back, and have been licensed to HarperCollins.

"At long last, New York Times bestselling author R. A. Salvatore returns with one of fantasy’s most beloved and enduring icons, the dark elf Drizzt Do’Urden, in an all-new trilogy full of swordplay, danger, and imaginative thrills

Centuries ago, in the city of Menzoberranzan, the City of Spiders, the City of Drow, nestled deep in the unmerciful Underdark of Toril, a young weapon master earned a reputation far above his station or that of his poor house.

The greater nobles watched him, and one matron, in particular, decided to take him as her own. She connived with rival great houses to secure her prize, but that prize was caught for her by another, who came to quite enjoy the weapon master.

This was the beginning of the friendship between Zaknafein and Jarlaxle, and the coupling of Matron Malice and the weapon master who would sire Drizzt Do’Urden.

R. A. Salvatore reveals the Underdark anew through the eyes of Zaknafein and Jarlaxle—an introduction to the darkness that offers a fresh view of the opportunities to be found in the shadows and an intriguing prelude to the intriguing escapes that lie ahead in the modern-day Forgotten Realms. Here, a father and his son are reunited and embark on adventures that parallel the trials of centuries long past as the friends of old are joined by Drizzt, Hero of the North, trained by Grandmaster Kane in the ways of the monk.

But the scourge of the dangerous Lolth’s ambitions remain, and demons have been foisted on the unwitting of the surface. The resulting chaos and war will prove to be the greatest challenge for all three."

https://www.edelweiss.plus/#sku=0062688596&page=1

http://www.harpervoyagerbooks.com/book/9780062688583/unti-drizzt-1/

Oh, so the long-hyped Jarlaxle/Zaknafein prequel

EDIT: Ah, nvm, sounds like it's not that.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 06 Feb 2018 14:56:30
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  16:10:26  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this Legit?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  16:52:28  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds like this novel will alternate between the present and Zaknafein and Jarlaxle's past, so it's probably as close to a prequel as we're going to get. It seems this is real, as HarperCollins own site has "Drizzt" in the URL of the book's page.
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  16:59:04  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It sounds like this novel will alternate between the present and Zaknafein and Jarlaxle's past, so it's probably as close to a prequel as we're going to get. It seems this is real, as HarperCollins own site has "Drizzt" in the URL of the book's page.

Perhaps something along the lines of Elminster in Hell. Past and present lore mixed together.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  17:18:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sigh* I wish I understood WotC's aversion to doing something new.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  17:22:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think it has to do with the dollar signs...R.A. sells books when it has anything to do with an elf with dark skin.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  18:01:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:

I think it has to do with the dollar signs...R.A. sells books when it has anything to do with an elf with dark skin.

Yeah, I can see that... But with the exception of Elminster, every lead character in an FR novel was once a new character, being introduced to readers for the first time.

I wish WotC would realize they'll never have another breakout character when they refuse to let their authors create new ones.

Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  18:08:01  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:

Yeah, I can see that... But with the exception of Elminster, every lead character in an FR novel was once a new character, being introduced to readers for the first time.

I wish WotC would realize they'll never have another breakout character when they refuse to let their authors create new ones.

I'm okay with it if they Elaine Cunningham do another Song and Swords book with Arilyn, Danilo, and Elaith!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  18:18:32  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, a new and fresh face would be something awesome.

Hell, they COULD allow an established and high profile author of FR fiction make a new character all together...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  18:25:40  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been hearing rumors about this all morning LOL. If this is true, I have mixed feelings about it. Part of me is excited, because I would hope it means the novel line will be back in action. There were some unanswered questions in Hero, but I think those could have been resolved in a short story. I would love to see a father and son reunion, but again, we don't need a whole novel for that. I think the Drizzt story ended with Hero. If Timeless is the next adventure, I think they're just drawing it out.

Now, if Drizzt is only a side character, and it mainly features Zak and Jarlaxle (and it does sound like they will be switching back and forth between past and present), I still have mixed feelings, as I wish Bob would create an entirely new series in the Realms (if he writes in it again), but I know fans have been clamoring for a Zak+Jarlaxle story for years. I do have some questions regarding Zak, but again, I was content with Hero being the end. I could go on about all my reasons, but I won't...for now LOL.

So, all around, mixed feelings. If this renews the FR novel line, then I am stoked.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  18:33:06  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The plot details have been removed from that page apparently at Salvatore's request, but I snagged a screenshot:

https://twitter.com/MattAdlerComics/status/960943912134299650
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  21:16:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently Salvatore has said that this is a "placeholder" (whatever that means) and this novel has been in the works for years, or somesuch. No release date or other info.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  21:21:25  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably not true, based on the detailed plot summary that was up on book publisher catalog site before Salvatore got wind it had been leaked.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  22:21:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

If this renews the FR novel line, then I am stoked.

Ditto. It's been too long since I was looking forward to a new FR novel release.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  00:44:18  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You gotta be kidding... ah. A prequel.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  07:04:27  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Looks like a Realms novel is back

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  07:06:19  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But seriously, this doesn't sound like a prequel since it talks about the last events that happened to Drizzt. But now that I think about it. Didn't they bring Zaknafein back from the dead?
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  07:43:31  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is like Episode IV in real life. Now I just hope that we can finally see Kemps line continued. Also Brotherhood novels were in quite interesting place, so hope that continues as well.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  13:43:54  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope they bring back the Brimstone Angels and novels covering the return of the Mulhorand Gods.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  13:49:06  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:

Looks like a Realms novel is back

Yes, this is what I too was thinking. I even read someone's comment mentioning HarperCollins PR stating to be happy to have Drizzt and Bob among their authors (perhaps in this very thread, I can't be bothered to check atm), but that's just them, not the Realms. And we all know that RAS stuff might as well be an IP on its own...

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  14:09:54  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that was me over on the Facebook group (before they deleted the entire thread at Bob's request). Per the screenshot above, their PR emphasized Bob being a "perennial best selling author" and says "in a market where character is brand, Voyager now adds the famous dark elf to its distinctive roster" adding that they are "continuing to cultivate a list of superb names in fantasy and sci fi", listing non-Realms authors they have added to their stable. But bear in mind, this is PR aimed at booksellers, and they're trying to both sell this book and promote their existing line. If this does well, it could open the door for more Realms authors and characters.

As for the prequel stuff, it's pretty clear to me from the book's description (again, in the screenshot) that this book will alternate between the past and the present.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  15:01:56  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We know Wizards has been shopping around for a publisher to take over the publishing of the novels for them, so I doubt its only going to be just Bob, at the very least I see them snagging Ed Greenwood too, maybe Erin M. Evans, and Mel Odom is already one of their authors, so I don't see them saying no to Mel if he wanted to write another Forgotten Realms novel. Kemp sells really well so he is a really goid shot at being picked too, price issue would be the difficulty there.

I really wisg WotC and Harper Collins would discuss the details of their liciencing deal

Edited by - Gyor on 07 Feb 2018 15:06:05
Go to Top of Page

John Daker
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  15:51:06  Show Profile Send John Daker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The info about Timeless was an accidental leak. I'm sure we'll eventually get a full press release, with details about the partnership and whether other authors will also be involved. But that could still be several months away.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  19:12:38  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome. Really want to read a follow up considering the last few pages of the last book. Hope we see more authors added. Need moar! :)
Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

75 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  22:54:38  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like I need to keep reading the Drizzt novels! This is great news, all things considered. Gone from thinking Realms novels were dead to having one that has apparently been worked on for some time already. I would imagine since they have picked up a character who already has dozens of novels that they would understand that some new ideas are needed if this first book does well.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2018 :  00:09:47  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it is a Drizzt novel, it sounds like it goes back and forth between past and present. Maybe it will answer some of those questions I had at the end of Hero lol, though I was content with Hero being the end of the Drizzt series. I hope this means we will see more novels, if they have indeed found a new publisher. But we'll see.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2018 :  22:38:48  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don’t know why I’m the only one seeing this way, but I don’t get the sense that it will be jumping back and forth. It’s pretty. Lead to me that it is D joining J and the newly resurrected Z for a road trip.

R. A. Salvatore reveals the Underdark anew through the eyes of Zaknafein and Jarlaxle—an introduction to the darkness that offers a fresh view of the opportunities to be found in the shadows and an intriguing prelude to the intriguing escapes that lie ahead in the modern-day Forgotten Realms. Here, a father and his son are reunited and embark on adventures that parallel the trials of centuries long past as the friends of old are joined by Drizzt, Hero of the North, trained by Grandmaster Kane in the ways of the monk”

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2018 :  22:56:20  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds like that, but it also sounded like there may be back and forth. Or, based on that excerpt, perhaps it isn't a literal back and forth, but rather the past will be revealed as they go along.

Go to Top of Page

Petra_W
Acolyte

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  00:39:40  Show Profile Send Petra_W a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont care.

As a fangirl of the FR lore I would buy and read everything. Just pls give us new novels. I buyed some of the old books but it just doesn'nt feel the same when it playes centuries ago.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  01:03:43  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Petra_W

I dont care.

As a fangirl of the FR lore I would buy and read everything. Just pls give us new novels. I buyed some of the old books but it just doesn'nt feel the same when it playes centuries ago.

I am a fan of FR lore, myself, and while I haven't read every single FR novel, I have read a fair portion. I myself would love more FR novels. I just have mixed feelings about a new Drizzt novel, as much as I love Drizzt. But if some questions are answered, and it revives the FR novel line, I am all for it (and yes, I will buy it).

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000