Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  19:55:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
always said KAY not KAI (assuming that KAI is like KIE?)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  20:40:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always said 'SHAD-er-kie'.

But I also say 'Mie-stra' (I was very upset after hearing people speak at Gencon... they were all getting it WRONG! Even Ed!"

And most recently, I found out I've been saying 'fay-run' all wrong (which I should have known, but I was being lazy).

Drow are drow... stop saying 'droe'. Thats wrong.
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

Just watched a video of Mike Mearls talking about their upcoming Moe's Tome of Foes.

So what else did he have to say about the book? Got a link?

Hopefully we can get this scroll back on topic..

Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes

However, if you watch his earlier videos on...

Gith

Tiamat

Tieflings

Illithid

Origin of Elves

To get the full picture of what we are about to get.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Feb 2018 20:49:07
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  21:38:38  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've always assumed the third syllable rhymed with high, not with hay.

That said, I know that officially, drow rhymes with cow -- but I've always said it so it rhymes with know. I'm such a rebel, in that regard.

I'm the same. I hate the sound of drow rhyming with cow. Drow rhyming with know sounds much more fluid to me, especially when I have to say it in a phrase in my language.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 12 Feb 2018 21:39:06
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  23:19:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was going to actually prove my point in my above post, but when I researched it, I realized something: 'Drow' comes from 'Trow' which is where we get 'Troll' from, and 'troll' has a long-'o' sound. Thus, it probably should be Trô (but except for when I see videos online, or have gone to conventions, I've never heard anyone in person say it that way). If fact, when I did hear an 'official type' person speak at a con, they actually used both (..."the Droi... or Drow... if you prefer..."). So sometimes we have to ditch 'the rules' and just go with what everyone is using. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there'd be any clear winner here.

If everyone in Menzoberranzan can misprononce their own god's name for over 30 years ('Lloth', as opposed to 'Lolth'), then i suppose we cans ay both versions of the of the name are correct.

In D^D, the word 'Drow' is a debased form of Dhaerrow(sp?), which means 'traitor'. This is why I always thought the 'o' should have a short sound, because its not supposed to based on 'Trow' (even though we know it is).

(And trying to find the right spelling for that made me find the original lore about the Godswar (CBoE), and now I know I am right - the elves WERE created AFTER the Godswar. Since the Eladrin are a Creator race, then they had to have come before that, since the fey and others are mentioned earlier in the lore.)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Feb 2018 23:32:57
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  23:29:43  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always pronounced "dr-ow", as in rhyming with cow lol, despite it's origins, which, as MT pointed out, is likely pronounced "oh".

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2018 :  09:11:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why can’t Dhaerrow be pronounced De-Row (like cow)?

— George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2018 :  19:03:01  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've always assumed the third syllable rhymed with high, not with hay.

That said, I know that officially, drow rhymes with cow -- but I've always said it so it rhymes with know. I'm such a rebel, in that regard.

Rebellion is fine. Just don't mind me when I say FAY-ROON.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000