Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mulmaster
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2018 :  02:34:54  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The war in Mulmaster that is currently brewing on Facebook and other networks has been accepted tentatively by the WoTC admins and winter fantasy will interrupt it, so no more actions until WoTC takes action.
This is seen as a great RP activity. Indeed it is, and due to the various RP plots it is difficult seeing the Toril "reality" behind it.

I" am Sathia of Orogoth

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2018 :  02:46:47  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brewing on Facebook? Explain to a old guy what this even means?
Go to Top of Page

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2018 :  02:46:56  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fineva

The war in Mulmaster that is currently brewing on Facebook and other networks has been accepted tentatively by the WoTC admins and winter fantasy will interrupt it, so no more actions until WoTC takes action.
This is seen as a great RP activity. Indeed it is, and due to the various RP plots it is difficult seeing the Toril "reality" behind it.
Thus I ask here, can you help? Here are the particulars:
Hours after the Facebook groups formed, the EE declared war on Thay for its Mulmaster occupation. Remember this is rebuilding Mulmaster from the Elemental Evil destruction. Shortly after that a group of High Harpers declared war for the rest of the Harpers and were then called to task by a majority of Harpers as they joined (100 or so voted on war, secret war, no war, etc).The 200 some late comers had no voice, so their was lively discussion with not a few pieces of glassware broken.
As I wanted the RP I had only my Harper character join, unlike others who had numerous factional characters and got to see the various groups.

Shortly after this : Lords Alliance refused a war, then were inundated with EE and Harpers who wanted to talk, still ongoing.

NPC admins playing Mulmaster declared the city would leave the LA if attacked.
NPC Thay declared they would withdraw all support for Mulmaster and leave the city to starve, thus an army had best bring supplies. Thay also said they would not reveal secrets they had found about orbs or rifts.

This seemed to anger various people, who maintained some form of evil from Kyuss to Chult was going to make Szass Tam a god!

The truth is up to what u know. Writhing battery of Kyuss, Chult, etc are all areas I've researched here in Candlekeep. What is most likely of the above regarding factions and magic? Answers gladly welcomed.

I" am Sathia of Orogoth
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2018 :  03:00:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm lost... what's happening? I love Mulmaster and I love Thay, and I want Thay involved with Mulmaster. That being said, I don't know all of the fallout from the elemental evil adventure path as I haven't read it.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2018 :  03:03:44  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This just in--
http://dndadventurersleague.org/roleplay-roleplay-roleplay/

I'll post more as I find it.

I" am Sathia of Orogoth
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2018 :  03:16:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
interesting... too bad I can't visit whatever convention that is

Regarding that, I had a very small section just outside of Vesperin that I had relocated a lot of Mulans fed up with the Thayan civil war to, but they've been slowly taking leadership positions over the last century (more because of their capability to administrate things well). It could effectively tie in several nearby enclaves.

During the years following Dmitra's marriage to High Blade Selfaril, she made strategic investments in land surrounding the vast, and during the Thayan civil war she made improvements in those lands so as to encourage the acceptance of Mulan immigrants. These immigrants remember Dmitra fondly, and her great grandchildren (who are also great grandchildren of the former ruler of Mulmaster, but who forsook their claims to the throne) fill positions of power throughout this region. For instance, surrounding the town of Blanaer she had bought several hundred acres of unused and undeveloped land. The town was previously known for the smell of its cattle and their dung ("stinks like Blanaer" was a common saying in the region), and the Mulan immigrants came in, bringing flowers, building wells, and digging irrigation canals. Now the town is known for its second industry as a land of beautiful flowers and numerous nurseries and its secluded ponds are something of a simple vacation getaway for the poor of Vesperin. The people of Blanaer have accepted their Mulan neighbors happily due to the.

Similarly, in the nearby towns of Kurth and King's Reach there were problems that Dmitra Flass and her Mulan immigrants with their expertise came in and solved. For instance, Kurth was known for having alcohol that was made with essentially recycled urine because they had very little water. King's Reach was known for its numerous miners seeking precious metals (and producing mounds of slag rock over the past several decades). Between these two relatively close cities were mountain passes filled with orcs and goblinoids. The Mulans came in, slaughtered the majority of these nuisance races, animated them as untiring slaves, and then proceeded to cart the unneeded slag rock of King's Reach to build an aqueduct that brought water to both cities. This made the city of King's Reach more amenable to minor farming, as its soil was no long clogged with rocks. This also made the city of Kurth a more popular stopping point for caravans travelling the Vast's interior, as the path from Kurth to King's Reach is now one of the most safe passages in the area, complete with stopping points for watering animals and having simple meals prepared at local Mulan run inns and taverns.

With the return of the Tharch of Peleveran (which is essentially a large portion of the eastern Shaar from the landrise moving eastward) to Toril from Abeir, Dmitra Flass has checked in on her former land holdings in the vast. She found a land where she was greeted not only with welcome, but gladness and even a statue of her in Blanaer. These three towns surround the North/Northeastern/Eastern border of the relatively young country of Vesperin, which also holds Thayan enclaves in two of its three major cities (Calaunt and Ravens Bluff).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2018 :  22:59:08  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

interesting... too bad I can't visit whatever convention that is

Regarding that, I had a very small section just outside of Vesperin that I had relocated a lot of Mulans fed up with the Thayan civil war to, but they've been slowly taking leadership positions over the last century (more because of their capability to administrate things well). It could effectively tie in several nearby enclaves.

During the years following Dmitra's marriage to High Blade Selfaril, she made strategic investments in land surrounding the vast, and during the Thayan civil war she made improvements in those lands so as to encourage the acceptance of Mulan immigrants. These immigrants remember Dmitra fondly, and her great grandchildren (who are also great grandchildren of the former ruler of Mulmaster, but who forsook their claims to the throne) fill positions of power throughout this region. For instance, surrounding the town of Blanaer she had bought several hundred acres of unused and undeveloped land. The town was previously known for the smell of its cattle and their dung ("stinks like Blanaer" was a common saying in the region), and the Mulan immigrants came in, bringing flowers, building wells, and digging irrigation canals. Now the town is known for its second industry as a land of beautiful flowers and numerous nurseries and its secluded ponds are something of a simple vacation getaway for the poor of Vesperin. The people of Blanaer have accepted their Mulan neighbors happily due to the.

Similarly, in the nearby towns of Kurth and King's Reach there were problems that Dmitra Flass and her Mulan immigrants with their expertise came in and solved. For instance, Kurth was known for having alcohol that was made with essentially recycled urine because they had very little water. King's Reach was known for its numerous miners seeking precious metals (and producing mounds of slag rock over the past several decades). Between these two relatively close cities were mountain passes filled with orcs and goblinoids. The Mulans came in, slaughtered the majority of these nuisance races, animated them as untiring slaves, and then proceeded to cart the unneeded slag rock of King's Reach to build an aqueduct that brought water to both cities. This made the city of King's Reach more amenable to minor farming, as its soil was no long clogged with rocks. This also made the city of Kurth a more popular stopping point for caravans travelling the Vast's interior, as the path from Kurth to King's Reach is now one of the most safe passages in the area, complete with stopping points for watering animals and having simple meals prepared at local Mulan run inns and taverns.

With the return of the Tharch of Peleveran (which is essentially a large portion of the eastern Shaar from the landrise moving eastward) to Toril from Abeir, Dmitra Flass has checked in on her former land holdings in the vast. She found a land where she was greeted not only with welcome, but gladness and even a statue of her in Blanaer. These three towns surround the North/Northeastern/Eastern border of the relatively young country of Vesperin, which also holds Thayan enclaves in two of its three major cities (Calaunt and Ravens Bluff).

I saw some of your discussions on Thay. If we have some sort of canon what would a concerted factional attack do to the power balance? I find myself thinking LA is a bit far afield to be effective, though maybe EE can ghange that with magic? Szass Tam doesn't appear fully in control, or is that non canon?

I" am Sathia of Orogoth
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2018 :  01:43:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Lord's Alliance shouldn't give a care. The idea of the north coming over to what amounts to no more than a city state half the world away would be a very "American" idea that wouldn't exist in Faerun. The city is also known as one of the main bastions of evil faiths, so I'd find it hard to believe that the order of the gauntlet has a lot of active operatives in the city. The emerald enclave as well would seem out of their area of control or care with worrying with a city that has very little involvement with nature, so I don't get why they've declared war specifically on the Thayans of Mulmaster who are apparently helping the starving and beleaguered people of the city (unless they don't WANT these apparent new rifts to the elemental plane of fire closed). The Zhents and the harpers showing up... that I can buy. The Zhents because they want to control the moonsea and Mulmaster has been a traditional enemy. The harpers because they'd like to change the city and they are busybodies in the area.

However, this has made me aware that apparently they're saying that Selfaril is once again alive and ruling the city as High Blade. That could be interesting for me, since I'm having Dmitra Flass back and down in the Shaar (and having romantic involvement with Lauzoril over the past century). Granted, she didn't marry Selfaril (she married his twin), but she was engaged to him until he "disappeared". I'm also surprised to see a Zulkir of current Thay (as in one of the zulkirs on Tam's council) having left Thay, but I'd imagine he's one of the ones opposing Tam quietly. Dar'lon Ma could also seemingly become a thorn in the side of what I'm doing with Lauzoril (whom I have not dead), since I'd bet neither to be the sharing kind.

I am also a bit non-plussed to see Kyuss in the area, but apparently the bloodstone lands and Narfell attracts undead beings and gods like honey.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 01 Feb 2018 01:46:27
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2018 :  03:19:52  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The idea of Faerun-spanning adventuring factions has to be one of the most ill-thought out, contrived and lazy decisions ever made by TSR/WotC in relation to the Realms.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2018 :  05:38:37  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Swordsage

The idea of Faerun-spanning adventuring factions has to be one of the most ill-thought out, contrived and lazy decisions ever made by TSR/WotC in relation to the Realms.

The Swordsage

Yes it seems like the idea is more for players who worked up in factions than for reality of story.
Do I have this right? -1- Red wizards outside Thay are not necessarily Tam's buddies and kind of a Thayan faction(s)!
-2- Tam is not in full control of Thay
-3- Enemies such as Corrmyr and Aglarond are not interfering in Thayan revolution?
It is interesting the EE might want rifts kept open, I'd like to expand on it, off to research.
Thanks for the incredible answers, folks

I" am Sathia of Orogoth
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2018 :  07:35:51  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no clue whatsoever about what any of this is.

Lost.
Go to Top of Page

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2018 :  07:44:11  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I have no clue whatsoever about what any of this is.

Lost.

Sorry, WOTC and Adventure League are doing something with factions vs Mulmaster/Thay
I was trying to establish any threads that might lead to this.
The webpage for adventure league is above in my prior post.
So far the best I've been able to determine is it is either highly contrived for out of game purposes or the factions are fighting over the rifts created in Mulmaster by the cults of elemental evil.

I" am Sathia of Orogoth
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2018 :  07:58:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Highly Contrived' sounds like the right ballpark. LOL

One thing that confuses me, which is related to something you said earlier - why is it in all the WotC adventure products it appears that the 'Red Wizards' (one of the 'big four' factions brought to us in 4e) seem to be working on Saass Tam's projects (like setting up Dread Rings all over the place), yet every other bit of lore I've read says that the Red Wizards all outside of Thay are expatriates, and they hate Szass Tam and would love to overthrow him? I just haven't been able to wrap my head around this - is the RW 'faction' for or against Szass Tam?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Feb 2018 07:42:06
Go to Top of Page

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2018 :  10:09:22  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

On thing that confuses me, which is related to something you said earlier - why is it in all the WotC adventure products it appears that the 'Red Wizards' (one of the 'big four' factions brought to us in 4e) seem to be working on Saass Tam's projects (like setting up Dread Rings all over the place), yet every other bit of lore I've read says that the Red Wizards all outside of Thay are expatriates, and they hate Szass Tam and would love to overthrow him? I just haven't been able to wrap my head around this - is the RW 'faction' for or against Szass Tam?

That's hitting it on the head! In Rise of Tiamat, the RW were all about getting the dragon lady into Faerun, supposedly to take out Tam and Thay. Yet another undead faction of them were into helping the heroes. (As only evil can...) Now in the current Mulmaster thing the RW are paying lip service to Tam, but doing other stuff, like hiring heroes to explore why some RW corpses are full of worms ...well anyway, they seem to want a 'writhing battery', another faction of RW (?) wants elemental rifts controlled, etc. They sound all over the map.

I" am Sathia of Orogoth
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2018 :  12:12:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

On thing that confuses me, which is related to something you said earlier - why is it in all the WotC adventure products it appears that the 'Red Wizards' (one of the 'big four' factions brought to us in 4e) seem to be working on Saass Tam's projects (like setting up Dread Rings all over the place), yet every other bit of lore I've read says that the Red Wizards all outside of Thay are expatriates, and they hate Szass Tam and would love to overthrow him? I just haven't been able to wrap my head around this - is the RW 'faction' for or against Szass Tam?

Yeah, this nails something right on the head. All the enclaves should have continued to be loyal to the master of the guild of foreign trade, especially since the portrayal of Samas Kul was that he was still being enriched by the enclaves prior to his death. Now, granted, I could see some insurrections and some enclaves that cleave to Tam, but for the most part, they should have been where people fled to. I can't see enclaves being exceptionally welcomed in foreign countries when they know what Tam did to his OWN people if they remain loyal to him, but I can see some people seeing enclaves run by Thayan expatriates and thinking "wow, I kind of feel sorry for them, maybe if I buy from them it will help them overthrow that lich... maybe they aren't so bad as people say".

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2018 :  16:24:50  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WoTc are trying desperately to copy the organized play of Pathfinder so they end up shoving in all these factions in places that don't make sense.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2018 :  16:44:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, as I look into what they're planning (at least in July of 2015 when I look at Sword of Selfaril), it looks like they're trying to turn Mulmaster INTO what I would have called somewhat like the Thay of old (despite the fact that its small in comparison). Basically, they've effectively duplicated what Szass Tam USED to be like in Rastol Shan, the head of Mulmaster's spy group known as the cloaks. The big difference that I see is that they'll still have a city ruler, but that will be more figurehead with the rule probably held by his inner circle.

Roleplaying Rastol Shan Rastol Shan has been masquerading for decades and is experienced at passing himself off as human. Putting him off his game is virtually impossible, given his magical preparations and gift for dissembling. Shan is well aware of Selfaril’s imprisonment in the blade for one very good reason – he was one of the wizards responsible. Under his real name, Thurdan Tallwand, Shan was one of the Cloaks who aided Rassendyll Uoumdolphin in usurping Selfaril’s rule, thinking Rassendyll a more tractable ruler than his twin brother. Of course, in order to preserve his secret, all of his peers from that time have been dealt with. Shan is earnest, even pleasant in his dealings with the party, as it is in his best interests to have Jaseen Drakehorn ousted from the office of the High Blade. The Church of Bane has worked long and hard to put limits on the power of the Cloaks, and Shan has had enough. Rastol Shan has masked his undead nature using Nystul's magic aura. Any spells or magical effects (such as the paladin’s divine sense class feature) that detect creature types or alignments reveal that he is a lawful neutral humanoid. For the purposes of dispelling the effect, it is an 8th level spell. Despite his disguises, however, Shan is still subject to spells or abilities that affect undead, such as turn undead. Rastol Shan keeps neither his spellbook nor his phylactery on his person.

I also see that the adventurer's league did something with Kurth. Whereas I made the city more prosperous and installed Mulan refugees there who worked with the locals and helped reduce the orc menace, it appears they went the other direction and had the orc menace decimate the population. That being said, relatively easy to work around if the old structures and inhabitants were destroyed and new folk have moved in to rebuild.

Kurth. Known as Pirate's Rest, Kurth is a town located in the northern portion of the Vast. Founded by the pirate Kurth Banditslayer, Kurth was a large town that eventually fell to orc raids. Its current state is much smaller; and more easily able to defend against attacks, and the outer portions of the city have fallen into ruin, including Feljack's Hall; the former home of an adventurer of the same name. Skeletal pirates have been seen in the area of Feljack's Hall, seemingly searching for the long-dead owner's fabled treasure.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2018 :  17:27:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It almost seems like something I suggested became official -- Having a Thayan civil war between Zsassy at home and Thay-in-Exile abroad.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2018 :  18:18:06  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope that the net result of this is that the current "Faction" system being used in Adventurers League is completely and utterly crushed by Bane... Death to the Emerald Enclave, the Lords Alliance, and the Harpers... ideally it will be accompanied by a betrayal of these factions by the Zhentarim while they laugh at the absurd gullibility of any Factions or PCs foolish enough to think that the Zhentarim had given up on their Evil ways to become an aimless, meaningless, bunch of mercenaries... Seriously, have Bane kill ALL the AL PCs for this, LoL

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Edited by - Cyrinishad on 01 Feb 2018 18:19:37
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2018 :  18:40:35  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really liked the Harpers of 4e, just small cells of guys doing what they could (and not necessary good stuff) and using the name "Harpers" because the historical implications. Now, they are all over the map stealing the PCs thunder, just like in 3.x.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2018 :  19:09:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, I see there's 16 adventurer's league adventures for season 2 for D&D expeditions from I guess 2015 and 2016. I can buy all of them as the elemental evil complete bundle for $33. However, I'm not wanting adventures, i'm just wanting info on the city, so I'm not paying $33 on just the city to get the NPC info, etc... I did find the city info for season 2, but I know there's more info in the modules in the form of lore. Are there any specific modules that are really worth looking at from a lore perspective?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2018 :  20:42:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

I really liked the Harpers of 4e, just small cells of guys doing what they could (and not necessary good stuff) and using the name "Harpers" because the historical implications. Now, they are all over the map stealing the PCs thunder, just like in 3.x.

I'm pretty sure it was stated somewhere that the old Harpers are, in fact, the new Harpers, and that the whole "we spontaneously decided to disband!" thing was misinformation.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  00:56:46  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://dndadventurersleague.org/state-of-mulmaster/

Ha!

I" am Sathia of Orogoth

Edited by - Fineva on 19 Aug 2018 05:27:59
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  07:52:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what sucks? That area is one of the few places I made changes to the Heartlands on my 5e maps. I figured they wouldn't be heading into the eastern Heartlands, at least for a very long time. Dammit - I wish I had released the map first. I need to stop get interested in side stuff.

The thing I did was widen the mouth of the river there (the Lis), a LOT, because it makes sense it billions of gallons of water suddenly decided to head south (not that the WotC guys would have thought of that... they didn't even think to move any coastlines in 4e). Plus, I got to place the town oof Poison in FR, which I've been wanting to do for a very long time (its in the Map Folio product, so its generic, so I claimed it for The Realms - it had some nice maps). I had to widen the riven for the town to make sense, because the town is along the river, right where the old maps show a crossing was supposed to be (Ed said there was a little rowboat there that everyone used to get back and forth... people will rob a dragon in FR, but they won't take a rowboat just sitting in the woods).

So now I'm saying the rowboat's still there, except now its a small ferry, and there's a little village there as well... a village of EVIL!!! (well, more like 'mean'. Maybe not even mean... grouchy? Yeah! That's it! They're grouchy!)

But anyway, now if they come out with official maps for this thing, mine will no longer be valid. Emergency map time!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Feb 2018 07:54:10
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  09:06:56  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, as I look into what they're planning (at least in July of 2015 when I look at Sword of Selfaril), it looks like they're trying to turn Mulmaster INTO what I would have called somewhat like the Thay of old (despite the fact that its small in comparison). Basically, they've effectively duplicated what Szass Tam USED to be like in Rastol Shan, the head of Mulmaster's spy group known as the cloaks. The big difference that I see is that they'll still have a city ruler, but that will be more figurehead with the rule probably held by his inner circle.

Roleplaying Rastol Shan Rastol Shan has been masquerading for decades and is experienced at passing himself off as human. Putting him off his game is virtually impossible, given his magical preparations and gift for dissembling. Shan is well aware of Selfaril’s imprisonment in the blade for one very good reason – he was one of the wizards responsible. Under his real name, Thurdan Tallwand, Shan was one of the Cloaks who aided Rassendyll Uoumdolphin in usurping Selfaril’s rule, thinking Rassendyll a more tractable ruler than his twin brother. Of course, in order to preserve his secret, all of his peers from that time have been dealt with. Shan is earnest, even pleasant in his dealings with the party, as it is in his best interests to have Jaseen Drakehorn ousted from the office of the High Blade. The Church of Bane has worked long and hard to put limits on the power of the Cloaks, and Shan has had enough. Rastol Shan has masked his undead nature using Nystul's magic aura. Any spells or magical effects (such as the paladin’s divine sense class feature) that detect creature types or alignments reveal that he is a lawful neutral humanoid. For the purposes of dispelling the effect, it is an 8th level spell. Despite his disguises, however, Shan is still subject to spells or abilities that affect undead, such as turn undead. Rastol Shan keeps neither his spellbook nor his phylactery on his person.

I also see that the adventurer's league did something with Kurth. Whereas I made the city more prosperous and installed Mulan refugees there who worked with the locals and helped reduce the orc menace, it appears they went the other direction and had the orc menace decimate the population. That being said, relatively easy to work around if the old structures and inhabitants were destroyed and new folk have moved in to rebuild.

Kurth. Known as Pirate's Rest, Kurth is a town located in the northern portion of the Vast. Founded by the pirate Kurth Banditslayer, Kurth was a large town that eventually fell to orc raids. Its current state is much smaller; and more easily able to defend against attacks, and the outer portions of the city have fallen into ruin, including Feljack's Hall; the former home of an adventurer of the same name. Skeletal pirates have been seen in the area of Feljack's Hall, seemingly searching for the long-dead owner's fabled treasure.

This is the first time ive ever read anything 5e related that seemed even remotely like realmslore

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  12:15:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

quote:

This is the first time ive ever read anything 5e related that seemed even remotely like realmslore

There's apparently stuff up on DMs Guild being officially released as adventures for the adventurer's league. They aren't free and they seem to be fairly short. The Kurth stuff is just a modification of old lore on the town (i.e. it was always a pirate's retirement place, and feljack's Hall was there, etc.. they just decided to apparently sack everyone outside of the inner wall... I went the other direction and had them finish the outer wall and put in an acqueduct so they didn't have to recycle urine for making alcohol <which was disgusting, but I'll give it to Ed... I never forgot the place>).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  12:19:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fineva

http://dndadventurersleague.org/state-of-mulmaster/

https://rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons/D%26D%205th%20Edition/Adventure%20League/S0%20-%20Season-Agnostic/DDAL00-01%20-%20Window%20to%20the%20Past.pdf

Ah, thank you, I knew somewhere I'd just seen something about a pyramid under the ice in the glacier of the white wyrm. I'm going to guess this has something to do with Kyuss, and someone got the idea that "worm" and "wyrm" were the same interpretation. Let me get to skimming.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  13:15:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, to sum up what I've learned so far about these official changes to Mulmaster

some elemental evil cults burst some "devastation orbs" throughout the city, resulting in these portals I guess to the elemental planes of fire and earth. The city is in ruins for the most part. The Thayans have been the only people to come to the aid of the Mulmasterite people in any significant way (bringing in food, clothing, shelter). Meanwhile, the new Zulkir of Enchantment, Dar'lon Ma, has moved to Mulmaster to be an open face of aid to the people. Dar'lon Ma is apparently a muscular Mulan male (from the picture of him in the Windows to the Past module), but his description is of a personable nature. Rastol Shan is the head of Mulmaster's Cloaks. Selfaril is once again High Blade of Mulmaster after a century of being trapped in a gem.

The Thayans are employing the bodies of the dead to help clean up the city, but they are doing so quietly and discreetly (for instance, their work crews only work after hours so that people don't have to watch, for instance, their dead father animated to move around detritus). However, these Thayans may have ulterior motives, and they may have started uncovering some caches of magic items in their cleanup efforts (cleanup efforts not being watched by other Mulmasterites since they're done at night). Throw into this, apparently some folks have become upset and are worried about the Thayans taking over Mulmaster (particularly the Zhents and Harpers I'd bet, but also the Emerald Enclave for some reason). I'm still reading the window to the past to see how (what I'm going to guess is Kyuss) is involved in things.

Now, onto how would I incorporate the information that I've read so far. I'd already been planning on doing something with three small towns surrounding the northeastern side of Vesperin (Kurth, Blanaer, and King's Reach), and I'd been thinking about the fact that we have several enclaves up in the vast and moonsea regions. One thing I would change is that I would explicitly state that Dar'lon Ma is not a Zulkir loyal to Szass Tam (in fact, other than apparently a player making said assumption when replying from the Thayan Embassy in Mulmaster, I'm not sure that we have anything on Dar'lon Ma's background). I would also state that when everyone believed Lauzoril was dead, Dar'lon Ma took over as "Zulkir of Enchantment" in the city of Escalant to the expatriates of Thay in that city. I would also have Dar'lon Ma become the new Master of the Guild of Foreign Trade with Samas Kul's death over a decade ago. I think most campaigns would readily accept this concept.

Now, my homebrew stuff involves the United Tharchs of Toril. This involves the idea that the cities of the Wizard's Reach are forming their own Tharch right now. It also involves the "discovery" in the last few years that Lauzoril and Lallara Mediocros are not dead. Thus the OLD Zulkir of enchantment (Lauzoril) is returned and someone else has his title. Normally, this would mean the death of the usurper. However, at the SAME TIME in my homebrew, I am also having the Shaar "return" from Abeir, and its got several small cities gathered together as the "Tharch of Peleveran".... and its ALSO got Lauzoril, the Zulkir of Enchantment. This leads the two Lauzoril's to agree to some special conditions regarding themselves as Zulkirs sharing their number of votes. Meanwhile, what to do with Dar'lon Ma (the third Zulkir)? Well, they get together (along with Dmitra Flass, Aulkir of Illusion for the Tharch of Peleveran and Tharchion of Peleveran) and decide that Dar'lon Ma should try to cultivate a new tharch near Mulmaster, including the cities of Blanaer, Kurth, King's Reach, and Maskyr's Eye and the enclaves in Calaunt and Raven's Bluff. If he is able to do so, he could would become its Aulkir of Enchantment, retain his title as Master of the Guild of Foreign Trade (noting that this would only be in lands FOREIGN to the United Tharchs of Toril), and he could also become its Tharchion. This would place the High Blade Selfaril ultimately as his autharch in Mulmaster and could elevate Rastol Shan and the Cloaks into their membership (or at least, that's the theory... the question of whether those people would accept those roles... depends on how its presented... for instance, if it involved taking over say Phlan or Hillsfar or invading Vesperin, they might be ok with the idea of expanding their organization but losing some personal power in the bargain).

If I did want to do this, I might have to change around some of my terminology I'm been using for the United Tharchs. Specifically, I have 8 Zulkirs, but also each tharch has a representative for their school of magic (known as an Aulkir if they are not a Zulkir). This would make Dar'lon Ma no longer a Zulkir, so I'd either have to make the Zulkir/Aulkir naming convention into something like Grand Zulkir/Zulkir (although I'd like another term besides Grand and might make something up... taking ideas on some sound you could put before Zulkir that makes it sound important... Atu-Zulkir... Vykal-Zulkir... Kha-Zulkir).

Anyway, that's my thoughts without actually reading window to the past at all so far... let me see where it goes.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 02 Feb 2018 15:07:55
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  15:45:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, and as I read this, its definitely tying Dar'lon Ma to Thay and not Escalant. Therefore, I wouldn't have to change my titles. I could have him as a Zulkir of Thay but in negotiations with the "enemy" and leaving Thay to build his own legacy elsewhere (and possibly making liaisons with my tharchs).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  17:31:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, now I remember why I stopped working on my main mapping project. Every time I open the main map and try to work on it, the whole thing crashes.

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Feb 2018 17:31:45
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  17:36:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, yeah, the adventure is something about a pyramid under the ice of the glacier of the white wyrm. It has basically an "aspect" of Kyuss of some sort. The party has to kill it. The story itself is kind of lame. About the only thing interesting I got out of the whole adventure was the info on the two NPC's, which I kind of already had. Also, there is a rather strange reference to the number of Zulkirs of Thay..... stating that there are 12 now.

Zulkir Dar’lon Ma (zul-KEER DAHR-lahn MAY). Male human. One of the 12 Zulkir of Thay. Broadshouldered and oozing charisma, Zulkir Dar’lon Ma is a consummate politician; he uses his command of enchantment magic to ensure that he remains in power and to keep his enemies at bay. While his bright smile serves to mark him as approachable, his sizable frame and passive body language clearly indicates that he is a formidable combatant.

Also, I find it interesting that they give a picture of Dar'lon Ma that is especially white-skinned (totally expected for a Mulan).... but his description says "Tall, dark-skinned, and broad shouldered, Dar’lon Ma . Also, he's described as having the build of a professional wrestler. His picture also LOOKS like he's wearing a wrestler's championship belt. I like the guy from a "this is so weird that I'm smiling" perspective. I'd definitely though recommend him having left Thay and moved here because he wants to get out from under Tam's thumb.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000