Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Magic the Gathering vs. Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

279 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2018 :  13:45:16  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

I like what they've done so far with the MtG/D&D crossover mini-settings, which seem to basically be trying to get MtG players to start rolling d20s...

I don't think the Realms will get pulled into MtG... I can see scenarios where Dark Sun, or Dragonlance, or Planescape get pulled into MtG... Perhaps even having an official D&D Planescape AP being "the crossing of the streams" so-to-speak, that tries to synergise D&D with MtG somehow... I can also see them marketing or including "official" D&D characters and/or monsters as MtG cards, even if they don't hijack a D&D setting and turn it into MtG...

I like the idea the more MtG players could start picking up some dice and get bitten by the D&D bug instead...

Why not the FR, but the other settings instead?

I think it's because there's "too much" in the Realms to succinctly be contained in an MtG release... But, now that you're making me think a bit more about this, I could definitely envision a series of MtG releases that each focus on a different region or aspect of the Realms... Perhaps a "Netheril" or "Imaskari" or "Cormyr" or "Waterdeep", etc... "Netheril" or "Imaskari" MtG actually sounds pretty intriguing to me...

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

Balmar Foghaven
Seeker

Canada
72 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2018 :  19:06:39  Show Profile Send Balmar Foghaven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having more players drawn into D&D via MtG would be cool, though I personally would rather they don't merge the IPs. However, to be fair it's not like planeswalking is a foreign concept even in the FR universe (I recall a certain short story in Dragon Magazine about our friendly Sage of Shadowdale visiting RL Ed Greenwood in his living room. ;) Just saying).
Another possible indicator of this is when the folks at Wizbro decided to have Acererak pop into realmslore by simply explaining that he is a planeswalker. I wonder what an Acererak MtG card would look like :0

"Despair not, for in the end all things shall work out for the best - in at least one timeline."
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1741 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2018 :  20:45:05  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acererak would be like lich - banned. Or necro - banned. Or Yawgmoth - banned.

All the good decks got torn apart by new rules in like 2000.

Everything since that I've seen has just been blah and set up to be a constant cash cow. That's fine for a business model - but as a game I think they do more damage than good.

Also, I could not believe when they eliminated Interrupts and then introduced split second or whatever
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31058 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2018 :  20:49:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Balmar Foghaven

Having more players drawn into D&D via MtG would be cool, though I personally would rather they don't merge the IPs. However, to be fair it's not like planeswalking is a foreign concept even in the FR universe (I recall a certain short story in Dragon Magazine about our friendly Sage of Shadowdale visiting RL Ed Greenwood in his living room. ;) Just saying).
Another possible indicator of this is when the folks at Wizbro decided to have Acererak pop into realmslore by simply explaining that he is a planeswalker. I wonder what an Acererak MtG card would look like :0

Planar travel, particularly between the different settings, has been a thing since 2E was going strong. Not only did Ed frequently get visited by Elminster in Dragon magazine articles, there were also the Wizards Three articles, with Elminster, Mordenkainen, and Dalamar meeting regularly, and with Shaaan the Serpent Queen and the Simbul both putting in appearances at Ed's place. Khelben, Laeral, and Qilu visited Steven Schend, as well.

We've had direct planar travels, too, with a kender wanting to see the Realms after spending time with a spelljamming woman from Krynn and a bard/priest from the Realms, Khelben Ravencloak Arunsun going to Oerth, a lot of spells named for Greyhawk mages being in the Realms... You can assume the Blackstaff and Bigby have met, since the former had a derogatory comment about the latter, in the description for the spell Khelben's Warding Whip, which counters a lot of the Bigby's Verbing Hand spells.

So planar travel is not new, and it's not inconceivable that Acererak could have visited the Realms at some point. That's not poor writing. Using Acererak as a BBEG in the Realms is poor writing, though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Jan 2018 21:24:20
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3484 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2018 :  04:45:59  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a thread about these back in July called D&D uses M:tG with the links to the 4 settings they've made so far.

I think it's a good thing, something that I'm surprised hadn't already happened so far. M:tG is a different beast than FR in a LOT of ways that there probably won't be any mingling betweem the two. Magic uses whole spheres of worlds and realms like the Forgotten Realms treats other parts of their own world.

4E Realms = Great Taste, Less Filling.

"If WotC were to put out a box of free money, people would still complain how it was folded."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15675 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2018 :  05:32:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh boy, looks like I got me a lot of reading tomorrow. Wonder how I missed those. I must have been doing something in July.

Thanks for the links.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6600 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2018 :  04:44:09  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Planar travel was also a thing in ancient D&D before 1E. Not as rigidly structured in the rules, but mechanisms existed for travelling to "other" D&D worlds, Boot Hill, and Gamma World. All RPG products sold by TSR, of course.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000