Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 When did Orcs come to Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  18:29:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

which were all lifted from the The Shadowrift, which is one of the best damn RL products around.

Which is weakly related at best to ey elsewhere.

Seriously? Its one of the few RL products I liked. that, and the monstrous compendiums. I guess if you aren't playing ravenloft your reasons for liking something shift.
quote:

quote:

so I got rid of it (but accidental left that one) Eladrin and Shee would both mean the same thing, except that some Eladrin can be Sith... so you can see why I ditched it). Apologies.
And all three are pronounced exactly the same, and sound the same to the human ear, which makes it very confusing to non-Fey. When Fey speak to one another, there is a sub-level of empathy going on, almost like low-frequency, that becomes part of their language - it gives their words the descriptors other languages need (like adverbs and adjectives). Thus, when a Fey says 'Shee' (thats how it is pronounced), another fey knows precisely what branch they are talking about.

What's #1250 on Mr. Welch's list, again?
I don't get the reference.

1250. I will address the other PC as Lord Tyrion, Eldritch Knight of the Winter Court. And not just as the Sidhe Male.

from here, I'm guessing
http://theglen.livejournal.com/131998.html

From which...

1244. I will not point out the Drow Matron would make more money as an exotic dancer. Even if it’s true.

1261. If the villain’s three room lair holds over one hundred brutes, can’t just tip off the Fire Marshal.

1343. If I have to explain to the halfling’s sister why we dressed him like a raccoon, we’re all in trouble.

1355. Pointing out the massive plothole in the villain's plan is not going to stop her from attacking.

1384. I will not start a Ponzi scheme involving the entire party.

1413. Even if the dungeon has only one exit, can't just starve the villain out.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 02 Feb 2018 18:53:29
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2018 :  02:09:32  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Looking through Evermeet, when Araushnee starts plotting with Malar, she mentions that Elves exist on Toril, and that Orcs exist on the world as well. This happened before Araushnee was cast from the Seldarine, which means it happened circa -30,000 DR. This is problematic because AGHotR states that the first Elves came in -27,000 DR. Given the inconsistencies regarding ancient Elven history that AGHotR has, we can either regard that date as wrong, and bump it back, or we can regard the conversation in Evermeet as apocryphal. Given that the whole book is technically second-hand and legend (although, to my knowledge, very little canon, if any asides for perhaps this, contradict anything in it).

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2018 :  02:33:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's hard to consolidate canon more accurately than the authors who wrote it, lol.

Elves in Dragonlance are even snootier than usual about segregating themselves from each other. And they each maintain slightly differing accounts about their "true" origins and histories on Krynn.
Perhaps Tel'Quessir have similarly conflicting versions of their presence in the Realms, along with similarly conflicting accounts about the orcs/etc they fought.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 04 Feb 2018 02:34:24
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2018 :  04:16:26  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is what Elaine said regarding the whole thing:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Hi Elaine!

Did you ever notice the similarity between the alliance of Gruumsh and Lolth to the alliance of Melkor and Ungoliant?

Please don't mind my ramble...

The reason I ask is that I'm getting ready to produce a book that focuses on an Orc World to publish on DMs Guild. The Orc World is the one the Gray Orcs that were part of the Orcgate Wars came from; and I wanted to build into the lore a reason that Elves and Orcs came from that world at the same time in c. -27,000 DR when portals were opened to it by the Fey to bring the Elves.

Ed said in the Old Grey Box that Elves couldn't remember a time when goblinoids weren't testing the borders of Elf lands...and so I wanted to work it in.

I can't touch any IP of the Tolkien estate obviously; but if I build on YOUR story from Evermeet, then I can build a story of why Gruumsh and Corellon hate each other so badly before the elves of Faerun even knew about the Seldarine.

quote:

From A Grand History of the Realms:

c. –27000 DR
Continuing their work to undermine dragon rule, the Fey open new gates allowing the first elves to immigrate to Toril. These primitive green elves worship the Faerie gods (not the Seldarine, which were unknown at this time)...

My problem is that I feel like I NEED to pick your brain about their early animosity. Care to share any thoughts?

This might not be what you're looking for, but the truth is, I consider the early chapters of EVERMEET to be mythology and folklore, not history. The story is carefully framed to suggest that approach, in that it's written by a human bard who has limited access to elvish lore. Also, as a longtime student of history, folklore, and religion, I understand that there's a difference between Truth and fact.

The chapters in EVERMEET that deal with gods and creation stories deal with Truth. I see such beliefs as "elves and orcs were born of the blood shed by the battle between Corellon and Gruumsh" to be a metaphor for a longstanding conflict, not a literal statement or a historical fact. So I'm never quite sure how to answer gamers who email me to ask how MANY drops of blood were shed by each of the combatants, and whether those drops corresponded to elf and orc creation on a one-to-one ration, and also, since elves and orcs existed BEFORE that battle, how do I reconcile these two "facts?"

Here's how: When it comes to Forgotten Realms theology, I'm not a fundamentalist. I don't believe that every tale told is literally true. That's a difficult position to support when gods are given stats, but it's the approach I take.

So. If you're writing a history of this early time, my advice is to create whatever scenario you prefer. The true story of the warlord (or warlords) who fought against Saxon invadors might bear little resemblance to the tales of King Arthur and his shining Camelot, but it would still be a story worth hearing.

So with this we can say that the c. -30,000 DR of the War of the Seldarine is indeed simply an estimate and not a hard date at all.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2018 :  05:54:22  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

But considering that the aarakocra now looks nothing like the aarakocra of old, I guess it doesn't matter.

This may apply to anything.
quote:
We can give those races any look we want just so long as they basically look like lizard men and some kind of bird folk.

If you want customisation, why not the way it was done in Birthright?
It's reasonable, after all - given long isolation and the differences between living in swamps and on flying islands.
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Looking through Evermeet, when Araushnee starts plotting with Malar, she mentions that Elves exist on Toril, and that Orcs exist on the world as well. This happened before Araushnee was cast from the Seldarine, which means it happened circa -30,000 DR. This is problematic because AGHotR states that the first Elves came in -27,000 DR. Given the inconsistencies

Which the elves overheard and told one Danilo Thann. This be a prime example of "-...Myth! -Yeth?"
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Elves in Dragonlance are even snootier than usual about segregating themselves from each other.

Yup. Not enough to leave Kagonesti (warning, near-WoW grade "art") alone, however.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2018 :  15:55:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Elves in Dragonlance are even snootier than usual about segregating themselves from each other.

Yup. Not enough to leave Kagonesti (warning, near-WoW grade "art") alone, however.

Well, to be fair, the Qualinesti were fleeing from their homeland. And then they treated the Kagonesti as virtual slaves.

Walking into someone else's home, making yourself comfortable while proclaiming it barely adequate, and then making your host into a slave -- that's all pretty snooty.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Feb 2018 15:56:51
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2018 :  18:25:23  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So with this we can say that the c. -30,000 DR of the War of the Seldarine is indeed simply an estimate and not a hard date at all.

-While that works within the context of Evermeet, everything in AGHotR unless otherwise specified is a hard date. It gets convoluted if you want to stay as close to canon as possible. But like I said, there are inconsistencies in the early Elven history entries of AGHotR that appeared in the timeline that appeared when it became a physical book, as opposed to the PDF, so I guess you have to take it with a grain of salt.

quote:

Which the elves overheard and told one Danilo Thann. This be a prime example of "-...Myth! -Yeth?"

-I mean, of course everything in the book is "reported" second and third hand. No one was spying on Araushnee and Malar in the hazy days of prehistory. To my knowledge, though, even though everything in the book is presented as myth and story from unreliable narrators, nothing in sources elsewhere presented as hard canon have gone against them as far as I know. In me and Mark's long arguments on the topic years ago, I noticed this. Not necessarily dates, since dates aren't really used in the book, but events, people, things, etc. It all checks out when referenced with sources that present canon as 100% hard fact (3e sourcebooks).

Elves of Faerûn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 04 Feb 2018 18:30:49
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2018 :  18:57:30  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-While that works within the context of Evermeet, everything in AGHotR unless otherwise specified is a hard date. It gets convoluted if you want to stay as close to canon as possible. But like I said, there are inconsistencies in the early Elven history entries of AGHotR that appeared in the timeline that appeared when it became a physical book, as opposed to the PDF, so I guess you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Think of it this way: in the GHotR dates are often noted as "c." for a reason.

By using approximations it keeps things more fluid and open to interpretation...so no hard dates if there is a "c." in front of it.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2018 :  19:30:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off, I used to have one tribe of proto-elves (I guess I can start calling them 'fey' now) called the 'Nesti', which is the tribe all the Krynnish groups splintered off from. I believe I hinted at that in some of the stuff I wrote for the Elven netbook project, but that may have been part of the stuff I never finished - not sure. Anyway, the Nesti were considered a 'special' bunch, and when all the others began fighting and taking sides, no side wanted them, thus, they were 'caught in the middle'. Scholars refer to this as the 'Nesti's Crunch'.

When the Crystal Spheres were forming, the Gods got together and decided to create one world where they could dump all the 'less than stellar' versions of their favorite races, thus 'special' dwarves, halfings (Kender), (crazy) gnomes, and even dragonfolk went to that world.

Can you just feel my love for Dragonlance?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Feb 2018 19:31:18
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2018 :  19:55:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Secondly, TIME. One of my favorite subjects. Forget that adorable little 'c.'. We got something better. The universe (as it was before) was destroyed, and then rebuilt. There was no time before than, just a very loose concept of 'order' (as in, 'the order things happen in', which I think was handled by Chronepsis). After The Dawn War, time became a more solid concept (and Chronepsis became Chronos, IMO) - before then, in the 'First World', everything was much more malleable. The event wherein a Supernal 'died' changed all of that - it created the very first 'fixed point', and time became more inviolate.

So we got a LOT of history that happened in the 'Before Time', and if you read ZeromaruX's excellent History of the Nentir Vales (which includes TONS of proto-history that is now canon D&D history), you'll see that Corellon's discovery of the Feywild and later creation of the Elves happened in the before-Time. Including his first fight with Gruumsh (but the fight that ended their relationship happened during the later Godswar - they were allies during the Dawn War. Don't think that's so amazing, because Asmodeus was one of their staunchest allies as well). Just like the U.S. was allies with Russia during WW2 - you don't have to like each other to have a common enemy.

So we got this 'wishy-washy' Before-Time thing going on involving a LOT of our earliest Elven history. Then we have the Sundering - the first one Ao did all by himself (AFAIK). Now, that may not have affected time itself (although one has to assume that living things have to have been put in stasis, even if only for a short time), but we do know that the Elven Sundering reached backwards and forwards in time, and interfered with Ao's Sundering, and created Evermeet 'in the past'. Thus, the ritual may have occurred much later, but the two Sunderings were really just one event... and time got 'mucked with'. Pretty major, eh? Considering that's when the world as we know it was formed (Abeir was split-off from Toril).

Next up, we have The Dawn Cataclysm, another fairly major event that "happened outside of time", and gods were made, unmade, and some may have simply been 'erased' from history. We just don't know.

In summation, we got this 'black hole' in the very beginning of the timeline where time DID NOT MATTER, and three (really two) separate events where time got changed - the timeline was altered. Not to mention tens of thousands of years where other such may have occurred and no-one remembers them (because you wouldn't recall the original events if you were part of the changes). Plus, tons of known events where 'magic ran Amok' (Fall of Netheril, ToT, The Spellplague) - every single time Mystryl/Mystra has died, we've had magical chaos, and we KNOW magic can affect time as well (just look at the Feywild -the very plane of magic has major time distortions), plus, there is The Chronomancer. All proof that directed magic CAN alter timeline events, and that magical chaos can warp events. Time & Magic are connected - its even in Mystra's portfolio.

So, all that "the timeline is a 'best guess' (at best)" aside, we also have changes made to canon to fit WotC's current narrative, and although that's thinking meta-game, the truth is, the timeline is only as 'factual' as the last sourcebook... and we all know it. The major changes and distortions the 4e lore - which is now our lore - means we have to 'reinterpret' (rewrite) our own canon to best fit the current WotC narrative. Fortunately, as I've just pointed out above, we can use their own changes against them and twist things around any way we want... usually.

So if you can come up with a better version of historic events than they've come up with, please share. I know I am constantly tweaking my own version to include everything from every edition (plus folklore, mythology, and even RW science, when I can).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Feb 2018 20:05:47
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2018 :  19:56:20  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Lol, I never noticed the "C". Notice, certain things in those first couple of pages have c and others don't. Not like that doesn't convolute things.

quote:

So we got a LOT of history that happened in the 'Before Time', and if you read ZeromaruX's excellent History of the Nentir Vales (which includes TONS of proto-history that is now canon D&D history), you'll see that Corellon's discovery of the Feywild and later creation of the Elves happened in the before-Time. Including his first fight with Gruumsh (but the fight that ended their relationship happened during the later Godwar - they were allies during the Dawn War. Don't think that's so amazing, because Asmodeus was one of their staunchest allies as well. Just like the U.S. was allies with Russia during WW2 - you don't have to like each other to have a common enemy.

So we got this 'wishy-washy' Before-Time thing going on invlving a LOT of our earliest Elven history.

-I'm 99.9999% sure this was always the case. There was never anything that said "On X date, Corellon and Gruumsh fought, and the Elves and Orcs were created." Hey, we don't even technically know if they actually fought and that said fight was the real genesis of those races.

-The Dawn Cataclysm if I am remembering correctly is a little different because it took place when humanity was well established and history was well on its way and being recorded.

Elves of Faerûn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 04 Feb 2018 20:05:51
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2018 :  20:51:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myths are often metaphorical.

Elves and orcs fought, probably a great war which lasted a long time. Not the same as Corellon and Gruumsh fought on one particular afternoon.

So I think you won't find any specific god-vs-god battle on the calendar, but you might find a war lasting years or centuries. Especially a myth largely passed on through long-thinking elven perspectives. Humans might see an epic event (Karsus blew up Netheril, Avatar Crisis) as occurring on or within fixed dates, elves might see (and record) epic events as something witnessed across five centuries.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2018 :  21:50:57  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you go by the current iteration of the myth of Corellon vs Gruumsh, the fight could have happened before, concurrently, or after the Dawn War. There are not accurate accounts, and not even the eldest sages alive are sure about this. So, what Ayrik says: those fights can represent some other stuff. We only know for certain that one day, in the ancient past, Corellon ripped off Gruumsh's eye, and that is all.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2018 :  22:32:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still working on a cross-edition, universal timeline. I tried to do one in the Maztica thread a few days ago and had to stop just 12 entries in - stuff kept interfering with each other (which you don't 'see' until you start writing it all down). Sorry about this INSANE 'wall of text'.

The only thing I know for sure (as of right now LOL) is that the War of Light & Darkness had to be a latter thing than the Dawn war, and was Realms-exclusive, although it may have been part of the much larger 'Godswar', which really wasn't a war at all. That's just the name scholars give to a period of time following the Dawn War when the god were all attacking each other (former allies, that is). You can 'read into' that that there was a lot of blame/finger-pointing going on, once the Lattice of Heaven was destroyed.

My idea of keeping 'Faerie' as a separate thing from the 'feywild' helps a lot, but I still don't have it perfect. As I've said elsewhere, faerie is to the feywild what Ravenloft is to the Shadowfell. Its a prime-material realm that got shunted into the plane, and became an 'anchor' for like-minded realms from elsewhere, like a some sort of weird empathic (emotional) magnet. Just as the Domains of Dread grew around Ravenloft, so, too, did the Domains of Dream grow around Faerie.

So we have Corellon finding the Feywild, him and the Seldarine making Fey/Elves from whats there, and then the fey are suddenly in Ladinion, and the events surrounding the Black Diamond Affair unfold, and they have to flee Ladinion to Faerie... which we now know is in the Feywild. And at a later point, the elves separate from the fey, but that parts murky¹. Giants (Fomorains specifically) 'ruled' in the Feywild until the Eladrin Fey 'showed up', and yet, we have it where the fey (also elves *GAH*) were made from the Feywild. Lets try again...

1) Corellon discovers the Feywild, and soon after everyone else knows about it as well. Corellon takes some of the plane-stuff (or small creatures already there) and creates the first Fey². These are the LeShay - the most powerful of the fey. Seldarine (and that term may have been broader and included many others who are no longer in that group, and I am not just talking about the Anti-Seldarine or the goblin gods) created their own Fey (hence, the differences in appearance).

2) In the interim, Annam (a Primordial) starts creating the Jotuns (Planer Titans). He also goes to the Feywild and uses what he finds there to create the Giantkin. Unhappy with these 'lesser' giants, he goes back to making his from the elemental Maelstrom (the unfinished 'soup' outside of the ever-growing First World). The giantkyn are left to their own devices in the Wilderlands (Feywild).

3) A large number of fey are now created, and Corellon brings them back to the Abeir-Toril ("Cradle of Life") where other gods are crafting all the living things that will populate the first World when it is completed. Araushnee the Weaver catches a glimpse at Chronepsis' 'Great River of Order', and from what she saw at the end of it (End of Time), she weaves the Tapestry of Fate. From that, the gods discern that the world (later universe) they are creating will one day be destroyed by 'outside forces', and there is nothing they can do to stop it. However, a mortal race will rise to greatness, and be able to save the universe in its final hour. Thus, the idea of a 'Race of Destiny' is born. Along with Corellon's Fey Elves, other gods have created the Sarrukh, Aearee, and Batrachi as contenders. All have methods of adapting themselves to changes, and thus are well prepared for the eventual crisis (or so their creators think). One young god (who's name has been forgotten) accidentally creates humans from the primates he enjoys watching play, and although the other gods scoff, he adds them as contenders for the 'Race of Destiny'.

4) The Dawn War breaks out, and at the end of the conflict the Lattice of Heaven is rent asunder. The First World begins to unravel, and the gods, thinking this is the 'Final Conflict' foretold, move to quickly save their creatures, placing them inside the world in suspended animation. Annam moves most his Jotunbrûd into the Feywild, thinking they'll be safe there. The Fomorians and other Giantkyn have built realms of their own, and can help protect them in the coming cataclysm.

5) Toward the end of the Dawn War, Titania's sister is 'infected' with Chaos (as many gods are - its what the war is being fought over), and Aurilandur is turned into The Queen of Air & Darkness, and Ladinion itself is corrupted. Their mother - Danu (and ancient primal Archfey) - sacrifices herself to create Faerie, an other-worldy Realm (demiplane) where the Eldarin can survive the doom coming upon the First World. The Eladrin become know as the Tautha DeDanann ('followers of Danu') and flee into Faerie... which was created in the Feywild. The Gaea (Lifeforce) merges with The Ymir (Firmament) to stabilize it and help nurture (keep alive) those creatures now encased within, but this only allows the gods a little extra time to save all the living things, with them all scrambling to hide their favorites wherever they could.

6) The new universe was created out of the fragmented bits of the First World (the scalyfolk know this as the 'Fragmentation of the World serpent'), each containing pieces of that great work. Within these bubbles of primal matter are contained the flora and fauna of the First World in stasis. The gods begin work on the Crystals Spheres, forming them from the scattered pieces of matter, and when the new worlds are ready, the creatures are 'lead forth' into the light (many cultures have myths regarding this). During this time, however (roughly a thousand years? Perhaps three thousand?), The giants of the Wilderlands (their name - the first name - for the feywild) have exerted their control over much of the plane, including the dregs of other races that hid within the Feywild (some of the other Creatori wound up here as well). Toward the end of the era of giant-ruled feywild, they also began to expand into the new worlds that were already completed within the infant multiverse. Inside their 'bubble', the fey thrived, and the (Sylvan) elves were born into this little microcosm. There was much disagreement among the Seldarine over what to do about all this; Corellon thought they should just be left to their own devices (so that they could 'grow' in ways no-one could predict), whereas both Auraushnee and Gruumsh wanted more 'hands on' involvement. Things happened between the three that I do not need to cover here. Gruumsh led 'his people' (future goblinoids) away, into the greater feywild, outside of Faerie, and Lolth was banished for her part in the disagreement.

7) The Godswar. Old hatreds die hard, and many gods (and a few primordials) go after each other. Corellen battles with Gruumsh and puts out his eye (this is the culmination of events described above). This conflict escalates into the new crystal Spheres, once-again involving nearly every 'Power' (most wanted to stay out of it, but they got drawn in as battles began to destroy things they were trying to build). Towrd the very end of this 'war', one of the final battles takes place in an important Crystal Sphere being guarded-over by Ao (an Eternal - something 'outside' the normal deific hierarchy). This Sphere - which would become known as 'Realmspace' - contained the Abeir-Toril; the 'Cradle of Life', which still contained much of the power and divine-conduits (remnants of the shattered Lattice of Heaven) from the First World. That piece Ao had used to create Abeir-Toril itself - basically, the 'workshop of the gods' made into a planet. But an aspect of Sehanine - Selûne - that was helping him craft the sphere somehow became corrupted, and her 'shadow (Shaar) became a thing unto itself. Shar destroyed the first sun, and the two battled, and Abeir-Toril was almost destroyed for a second time when an 'ice moon' (containing bits of those 'sleeping' dragons) was hurled at it. Ao separated and bound the two, containing their power and keeping most of it beyond their reach (thus, the Weave was created). With aid from Kossuth, a second sun is ignited, and Ao found a young mortal woman (race unknown) to be its caretaker (and so Mystryl is 'born').

8) The growing populations of Fey and giants come into conflict. The Fey help to free the dragons from giant enslavement, which forces them into a war with the giant kingdoms around them. The dragons, meanwhile, 'run amok' and start destroying everything in sight, and the fey feel it was their responsibility. With both the fey and Giants hunting them, the dragons (the archdragons, actually) find a way to transport themselves to the newly forming Prime Material worlds (they place the dragon's essences into the many pieces of small debris still floating within the space of the Crystal Spheres, like 'eggs') Looking for an excuse to send away their 'lesser kindred' (who now outnumbered them 20-to-1), a Geas was placed upon the elves to go forth and work behind the scenes against the dragons. Most of the larger giants are eventually driven out of the Feywild, but the Fomorians and others remain, continuing to fight against the fey until this day. The Giants use the same Fey-Gates the elves are all passing through, going to the same worlds (this may have been part of the fey plan - to make the giants think they were heading for 'greener pastures', so to speak). This is why you so often find giants in close proximity to fey areas on Prime Worlds.

8) War comes to Faerie itself (this may have been a reflection of the greater war raging in the Heavens at this time). Even without the Dokalfar (the goblyns who left with Gruumsh), AND their 'lesser kindred' (the elves), the Eladrin begin to disagree vehemently on the poor ways they have been handling tings. There are 'progressives' (Silver Elves), and 'Conservatives' (Gold Elves, who feel they could do no wrong). Tintageer is destroyed, and elves from that island realm flee to Abeir-Toril. The Eldarin ('High Elves' - both Gold & Silver) find a world much to their liking. However, the soon learned that BOTH the dragons and giants have already carved-out empires for themselves (even though they has sent the elves to the prime Worlds just t prevent such a thing). The elves had failed, being out-matched magically. The Eladrin were much more powerful with their Fey (High) magic, but their numbers were exceedingly small. Still, they eventually prevailed (after spending some time as slaves to the draconic empires), both soon started turning on each other (as the dragons had done before them). The Eladrin discovered a number of other Fey (Eladrin) elves had gone with the Sylvan elves when they were sent from Faerie - the Ilythiir clans, who had once followed the teachings of Lolth and her children. In typical elven fashion - and not being able to abide by anyone they could not dominate - the Crown Wars soon broke out, and the Dark Elves were eventually defeated and driven undergound (but not before the combatants gained the attentions of Lolth, who now had an interest in this world). During the conflict, some Gold Elves decided they needed a 'backup plan' - another place they could flee to if things got rough again. So they cast their mightiest High Magic ritual to date, reached backwards in time, and created a homeland for themselves back when the world was first Sundered (by Ao, when he 'twinned the world'). This had the unfortunate effect of rewriting some of their own history, and even 'the gods' are confused when they try to remember the events before the ritual took place. Entire nations and peoples were simply 'erased' (but Ao did what he could to save some of it, sending it to Abeir where he had entrapped many of the primordials who fell during the Godswar).

And the rest, as they say, 'is history'. Note: I did not assign precise dating - that would almost impossible. This is more of an 'order of events' than a true timeline, because many of them overlap (by thousands of years!)

¹I 'may' decide not to connect this to the 'lessening' of the world, because its been the most difficult piece of lore to work with. I may have to say the LeShay/Archfey themselves tried their hand at creating more fey, but theirs were not nearly as good as the Gods, and thus, they were only able to create pale reflections of their glory - the elves. That might work better moving forward).

²While I believe Correlon (and others) made the High Fey (Eladrins) from proto-fey ('balls of planer energy' - the Will-O-Wisps), it could also be he took the 'wee folk' (small fey we already know about) and created the high fey from them. I'm not going to spin it that way (because I am also involving the giants), but if you prefer that, than that also works fine within this framework I am trying to assemble.

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Feb 2018 22:50:08
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2018 :  07:13:02  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Araushnee parted ways with the Seldarine when they were already in Arvandor. Aside of the myth where she got booted from specifically there, the place still has traces, Grandfather Oak used to have spider-silk workshops, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

-- that's all pretty snooty.

Hmm. So the elves have combined value of (snootiness + isolation) preserved, and when one component goes down, the other has to go up?
quote:

To my knowledge, though, even though everything in the book is presented as myth and story from unreliable narrators, nothing in sources elsewhere presented as hard canon have gone against them as far as I know.

It's essentially "long-term hostility to the elves is the result of world Multiverse wide conspiracy" myth. Huh. When put like this, it seems inevitable, indeed.
Ooh! I had that feeling like the Elven lore misses some spice, and now figured out which.
Some "proof" of their more far-fetched grievances, roughly equivalent to Protocols of Elders of Zion/Willie Lynch Speech/Totally-Not-Gleick's Memo... Or even better: as bad as all 3 put together, seeing how the elves tend to overdo things and are too haughty to research the details on non-People. Sort of the ultimate facepalm combo - anyone with round ears trying to read it inexplicably knock themselves unconscious about halfway through, clearly by the power of truthiness.

quote:

Just like the U.S. was allies with Russia during WW2 - you don't have to like each other to have a common enemy.

It's a curious idea, given that
1. "Russia" didn't exist as a polity for about two decades, and
2. USA helped Soviet Union both before and after (even when not officially endorsed, a lot was done quietly or under "we strongly oppose it and will give you a slap on the wrist reduced to frown, if someone else catches you" policy, much like with Ford and others helping Germany).
The again, why not extend this analogy.
quote:
So, all that "the timeline is a 'best guess' (at best)" aside, we also have changes made to canon to fit WotC's current narrative, and although that's thinking meta-game, the truth is, the timeline is only as 'factual' as the last sourcebook... and we all know it. The major changes and distortions the 4e lore - which is now our lore - means we have to 'reinterpret' (rewrite) our own canon to best fit the current WotC narrative.

Unless we'll simply drop inconsistent/nonsensical elements and anything that relies on them. The other choice is to put a great effort into explaining every single thing every single lazy hack let slip in at some time, and run over robust lore for this... and then do it again from scratch the next week.

Edited by - TBeholder on 05 Feb 2018 22:15:44
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  01:28:27  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

We only know for certain that one day, in the ancient past, Corellon ripped off Gruumsh's eye, and that is all.

-We don't even know that, lol!

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  02:24:29  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
eye, we don't.

the orcs say Gruumsh always had 1 eye.

I say,that lolth tore out gruumsh's eye while he was sleeping and she said it was corellon

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  02:39:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For awhile there I was thinking Gruumsh could be Odin, and he gave up his eye in order to get information on how to defeat Corellon.

Moral of the story - never trust an Elder Evil trying to make a bargain.

If Gruumsh found the Eye of Vecna, could he just pop it in head? It seems to work that way in anime.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  04:03:55  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The other choice is to put a great effort into explaining every single thing every single lazy hack let slip in at some time, and run over robust lore for this... and then do it again from scratch the next week.

-That's kinda all we do, lol.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  04:08:59  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gruumsh is "He Who Watches" and "The One-Eyed God", not "He Who Is Half-Blinded" or "The Formerly-Two-Eyed God". Orcs/goblinoids maintain that Gruumsh always had two eyes, he was "born" that way. Only elves/fey/seldarine maintain that Corellon poked out one of Gruumsh's eyes, which is quite literally a fairy tale.

Both of these "Non-Human Deities" (and their pantheons) originally appeared in 1E Deities & Demigods, elves and the Seldarine were expanded in Dragon #60, orcs and Gruumsh (and his pantheon) were expanded in Dragon #62. These first writings have reappeared (again and again) in the Realmslore tales we know today.

No origin myth is offered for the Seldarine. They simply exist as they've always existed as a loose group of forest-dwellers in a Realm of Arvandor (on a plane of Olympus). Some Seldarine interact with some Olympians, Hanali Celanil shares her crystal pool of "Evergold" with Aphrodite, etc. Elves and fey are the "children" of the Seldarine, somehow created or descended from them. Elves (but not Seldarine) of different sorts are also described in Deities & Demigods Norse mythology, indeed elves populate some of the Nine Worlds touched by Yggdrasil. Which suggests Seldarine are at least as old as Olympus and Yggdrasil (although it seems more plausible for them be an "organic" part of a big cosmic/world tree than of a big mountain).

No origin myth is offered for Gruumsh and orcs. "He Who Watches" was once "He Who Always Watches", where "Always" could profoundly reference eternal eternity or simply be a part of Gruumsh's formal title that was preferred by some orcs. The tale changes from shaman to shaman and tribe to tribe, but Gruumsh has been described as fighting almost every other god in single battle at some point. Curiously, these battles seem to have no consequence, Gruumsh fights with orcish savagery (and he was the god of savagery, it was his primary "portfolio" back in the day) and Gruumsh is relentless, and Gruumsh is undefeatable ... yet Gruumsh and his opponents apparently continue to exist after these battles. And curiously, the orcs tell their own version of Gruumsh losing an eye in battle against Corellon, even though Gruumsh never loses and Gruumsh always had two eyes, and the orcs utterly reject everything else which is said about the Seldarine origins. Gruumsh also created orcs, even though orcs always existed and always fought (mostly against goblins) in Hell.
The Dragon article specifically says this Gruumsh/orc history was inspired and adapted from a book called Master of Middle-Earth (which essentially prototypes the same orc religion for Middle-Earth).

2E Planescape offered more embellishments and expansions on these powers and their pantheons. It details Gruumsh's "home" as an Iron Fortress in a Realm of Nishrek (on a plane of Acheron). While this is not pure 1E-era canon, it is less speculative than most post-1E expansions and it is consistent with 1E Greyhawk descriptions of orcs simply appearing on the (fully known, explored, mapped) world from "some unknown place".

3E Races of Faerun describes Gruumsh killing Re in -1071DR as the first recorded instance of deicide within the Realms.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  16:04:07  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is my "Creation Myth" for the Orcs of Ekur:

quote:

There was a time when the stars glittered in a night sky that was devoid of brightness; and instead the world was bathed in a twinkling eternal twilight. In this world lived the Orcs who were its masters. There were no gods, demons or other beings greater than the Orcs in this time. Orcs were part of the world, and it has always been so that Orcs should rule the world because it was the world that gave them form and lifted them out of the ground to tend to the world as its sons and daughters.

In time, other races came which were like the beasts that the Orcs had hunted for untold generations. From the mountains crawled stunted and hairy beings called Vak that were greedy and would try to take all the treasures of the earth from the Orcs. Some Vak were greedy for iron, gold and silver; while the smallest Vak wanted the glittering stones of the ground. All Vak were greedy and wanted to take the mountains and hills from the Orcs. The Orcs relented and left the mountains and hills to dwell in the Forests and Plains.

Later came the Fral who had no bodies. The Fral were the most hated enemies of the Orcs because they would steal Orc bodies and take them for their own! The Fral would twist the bodies of the Orcs and turn them into vile sneaky things. The Fral wanted to hide even from the stars but hated the ground and so hid beneath the trees where they would lay in wait for the Orcs and kill them to take their bodies and turn them into the hated Galug. Eventually all the Fral were gone after they had stolen Orc bodies and the many faced race of the Galug was all that was left. They forced the Orcs from the forests and so then the Orcs had only the open sky; but still the Orcs were content to dwell under the stars.

But yet another race came from among the beasts of the fields, and they were a plague worse even than the Vak or the Fral before them. They were stealers of ideas and perverters of the truth and they bred as rapidly as the beasts of the fields and they began to steal all the ideas of the Orcs and all the lands as well. The hated Sharaz stole the idea of Magic from the Orcs and used it in horrible ways. They forced the Orcs into the farthest places.

Orcs tried to go back to the mountains to live free of the Sharaz plague, but the Vak were greedy despite not needing all the mountains and they killed the Orcs that tried to go there. The Orcs tried to go to the Forests to flee the Sharaz, but the Galug were greedy and would not share the lands beneath the trees. Many orcs died in the great waters as the beasts of the waters were numerous and the Orcs could not live in the waters.

Many generations of Orcs lived and died before the coming of the most powerful Orc who ever lived. His name is not spoken, but his might was such that all other Orcs had to acknowledge his wisdom and his power over all things. His true name is lost, but as a boy he had been teased by other boys and called Womanly; for he and his brother that wore magical rings were both as fair as a woman. This drove him to become the greatest warrior the Orcs had ever known though. He could fight like no other, and even mastered the power of the world becoming the most gifted of all shapers of magic. He became so powerful that he no longer needed to sleep and could fight forever if he wished. He became the leader of all Orcs and they gave him the title of “He Who Never Sleeps” to acknowledge his guardianship and unwavering loyalty to the protection of his people.

He declared to the Vak that the Orcs would live in the mountains and his spear rent asunder the mountains and hills and the Orcs then dwelt within them. He declared to the Galug that the Orcs would live in the Forests and his magic repelled the Galug and they were forced to let the Orcs live in the Forests again. His eyes turned on the Sharaz and they would not relent to his wisdom or acknowledge his power because they were numerous and had great magic which they had stolen.

And so it was that He Who Never Sleeps went against the Sharaz and made war on them with his brothers and his sons and his cousins and his friends. His brother came from the Forests with his magical rings and his vassals the Galug who He Who Never Sleeps had made him lord over. His brother who was later slain against the Sharaz came from the Mountains with his magic and his Vak who He Who Never Sleeps had made him lord over. His sons, most of who died in war against the Sharaz, came up from the earth in the plains where they had dwelt and made war beside their father and they brought with them their Orcs who He Who Never Sleeps had made them the lords of.

The war against the Sharaz was great and many Orcs died. The Vak died in their suits of treasure and the Galug died even hiding behind their trees and bushes. Orcs died with honor on their face as they did not hide. They did not hide in suits of treasure or in shame behind trees and bushes. The Sharaz, with their theft of ideas, died in suits of treasure behind trees and bushes. But because of their theft of ideas, fewer and fewer Sharaz died as the battles raged across the world.

In their greatest theft, the Sharaz began to steal the stars from the sky and they forged them together into one great and bright star. They set this star in the sky and it shed too much light. It hurt the eyes of the Orcs who lived beneath the stars and loved them. The Sharaz reveled in their bright star and the war raged on as Orcs could not see well in the bright light of the Sharaz Star.

He Who Never Sleeps feared that all the stars of the sky would be stolen by the Sharaz and added to their Too Bright Star and so he worked a great magic to ensure that he would not be blinded by their light. He took many stars from the sky and he placed them within one of his eyes. With the light of the stars in his eye the Too Bright Star could not blind him. The power of the Stars gave him great power too, and he became even mightier than before; and yet the war against the Sharaz continued.

He Who Never Sleeps saw the death of so many Orcs because the Vak and the Galug were treacherous and would not fight for their Lords as the Orcs fought for He Who Never Sleeps. He became enraged at their cowardice in the face of the enemy. He began to fear that his last brother would be slain by the Sharaz and so he made a great sacrifice on the day that the Sharaz were about to win the war.

Despite the power of his Spear which could reach across the plains and slay the Sharaz in great numbers, the Sharaz had stolen his idea and had spears as well. Despite the strength of his flesh the Sharaz had stolen the idea for the suits of treasure worn by the Vak and became harder to kill. Despite the ranks of the Orcs slaying the Sharaz, the Sharaz had stolen the ideas of the Galug and used arrows to slay the Orcs from afar. There was no weapon that He Who Never Sleeps had that the Sharaz had not stolen; and so He Who Never Sleeps, who’s aim was always true with only one eye, tore out his own star-filled eye.

He took out his Starry Eye and forged it into a great and mighty weapon. The First Sword was made from the Eye of He Who Never Sleeps and with it he at last was able to humble the Sharaz, for they were too scared to place stars in their eyes and take them out to make swords of their own. He Who Never Sleeps used the many stars in his eye to make other swords for his Orcs and they used the swords to force the Sharaz from the fields at last; but they did this all alone for the Vak had fled to their mountains and the Galug to their forests.

He Who Never Sleeps still did not need sleep; but he was weary and so rested. But in this he was betrayed for he had left his brother the Ring Wearer to watch over the Orcs while he rested for just a short while.

The Ring Wearer looked at all the things that the Sharaz had caused to pass and especially their magic. He learned their magic and his power grew. He turned to his own Orcs and taught them the magic of the Sharaz and wishing to be more like the Sharaz they coveted the Too Bright Light which was still hanging in the sky. The Ring Wearer learned the power of the Too Bright Star and as the Sharaz had been forced to flee he mastered its brightness; but then his Shadow fell behind him as he accepted the power of the Too Bright Star.

The Shadow was a horrible thing, as it twisted and changed to suit whatever direction it fell upon as The Ring Wearer walked around the Too Bright Star. The brightness shined down on all the world and He Who Never Sleeps said that the Too Bright Star must be extinguished so that the Orcs would not be hurt by its light and cast terrible shadows. He turned and saw however that his brother stood gladly in the light of the Too Bright Star and his heart knew rage that the Sharaz had corrupted the last of his own brothers who was said to be so very fair that even women were not as beautiful as The Ring Wearer.

As powerful as The Ring Wearer had become, he knew that the power of He Who Never Sleeps was greater still because of the Sword of Stars made from his eye. Fearing that he would lose his shadow and the power that he had gained from the Too Bright Star, The Ring Wearer decided that he would betray his own flesh.

He used his magic to cast his shadow over the Sword of Stars and took it from He Who Never Sleeps. With the power of the Too Bright Star, his magical rings and now his brother’s Sword of Stars, The Ring Wearer was equal at last to He Who Never Sleeps but feared he would lose the Sword of Stars back to his brother and so brought war against He Who Never Sleeps despite the sacrifice that had been made to create the Sword of Stars.

The Ring Wearer took those Orcs who would follow him and they fled to the forests that He Who Never Sleeps had made The Ring Wearer lord over. There he brought forth the cowardly Galug and taught them the magic of the Too Bright Star and gave to them swords from the Sword of Stars and taught them the magic of his magical rings. His Orcs, twisted by their own shadows, became Not-Orcs who chose to carry the light of the Too Bright Star inside them so that they could cast their shadow over every direction.

At last fully rested, He Who Never Sleeps rose to war against The Ring Wearer so that his Sword of Stars could be reclaimed. His Orcs followed him with their swords and their spears; but the war against the Sharaz had tested their numbers; and the desertion of the Not-Orcs who followed The Ring Wearer further had reduced the host of He Who Never Sleeps. The Not-Orcs with their Swords and Spears and the Light of the Too Bright Star still feared the host of He Who Never Sleeps and they betrayed their ancestors by going to the Vak and learned from them the art of suits of treasure which made them harder to kill. Without realizing their folly, the Not-Orcs had become as had been the Sharaz.

The battles that were fought were the worst times for the Orcs. Worse than when the Vak had first forced them form the Mountains and the Galug had forced the Orcs from the Forests and even worse than when the Orcs had battled the Sharaz. The Orcs were forced to battle the Orcs that were Not-Orcs who were as the Sharaz but who had Orc Shadows instead of Sharaz Shadows. The Ring Wearer then allied with the Vak and brought them too as allies against the Orcs and then went to the remainder of the now broken Sharaz who also still revered the Too Bright Star. He Who Never Sleeps fought and fought with all his might. He brought the remainder of his sons against his brother and all of their sons and the sons of the last. All seemed lost again however, for all the sons were not as mighty in number as they had once been and He Who Never Sleeps was only the equal of The Ring Wearer who had stolen the Sword of Stars.

As his people died, He Who Never Sleeps sought out a way to defeat his brother The Ring Wearer who was called the Star Stealer by the Orcs who followed He Who Never Sleeps. Taking the secret of the Sharaz he found the answers. He taught his Orcs the Secrets:

Stealing. As the Sharaz had done, Orcs must take all things that can protect the Orc and kill the enemy. Armor, Weapons, Fire, Magic, Women and any other thing that can be taken and be used to fight must be either stolen or created; but let the enemy do the work and steal from them instead so that war can be focused on.

Fury. With Fury no foe can sustain his defense against you. As the wild bull defends his herd with fury, so too does the Orc make war. Anger sets the Orc against his foes and allows him to do whatever is needed. Fury will take the women of the foe and make her the woman of the Orc who will take her as his own.

Flesh. As the beast hunts and devours his prey, so too does the Orc treat with his enemy. Each dead foe feeds the hunger of the Orc host in war and brings fear to their hearts. Breeding as often as possible increases the numbers of Orcs; and so breeding with the Flesh of the Foe will also bring more Orcs.

With these things the Orcs began to overcome their enemies. They stole the secrets of the enemy and used them. Their fury abounded and they crushed the enemy before them with their increasing strength. They took the women of the enemy and made Orcs from their bosoms; but from the Not-Orcs they could not make children because He Who Never Sleeps cast a great curse on his brother and the Not-Orcs that followed him allowing them few children. The enemy was frightened; they could not steal anything more from the Orcs because they were the first who had stolen and had nothing left to steal. They could not match the animal-like fury of the Orcs who were now stronger than any who stood in their way. They were afraid to eat the flesh of the Orcs because they were weak in their hearts and they could not mate with the women of the Orcs and make more of their kind because Orc women only make Orcs.

At last came the Final Battle. The Star Stealer used all of his strength but still could not defeat his now more powerful brother even after stealing the Sword of Stars from He Who Never Sleeps. As far as could be seen the Orcs who had grown again in numbers and strength, who now wore the treasure suits of the Vak, fired arrows like the Balug, cast spells like the Sharaz and were strong like the beasts of the field in their fury could not be stopped. He Who Never Sleeps, now even greater than when he held the Sword of Stars because he had taken on the strength of the beasts and grew out his tusks and ate the flesh of any who fell before him could not be stopped by his betraying brother. He Who Never Sleeps took the Too Bright Star from the sky and fashioned it into an ever burning torch and burned down the forests and poured its fire into the mountains. The Galug fled to the side of the Star Stealer and with them went the Vak who had been chased from the mountains. The remaining Sharaz held counsel at the Star Stealer’s side and all decided they must find a way to flee the wrath of He Who Never Sleeps.

As the Orcs encircled the last of their foes and He Who Never Sleeps demanded the return of his Sword of Stars; the Not-Orcs who followed the Star Stealer who knew the greatest magic stood with the Balug, Vak and Sharaz who knew great magic too and they cast the greatest magic they could to save their pitiful treacherous lives. They fled from the World into far places where they hoped the Orcs would not follow.

He Who Never Sleeps stood then among his Orcs and knew even greater Fury. He had been robbed of a final victory against those who had persecuted and stolen from his people. He looked around and saw that his Orcs no longer looked like they had. He looked at his shield and saw his reflection and bellowed in rage unlike any heard before by an Orc despite all the evils that had been laid upon them since the time of their innocence. They heard the rage and they responded in kind, with all voices raised in rage against what had befallen them at the hands of the greedy and treacherous.

He Who Never Sleeps stood then among his Orcs and forced from them The Oath of the Orc which each swore to. Their voices rising in unison they echoed back his words: “Never will I stop conquering until all my foes are dead or I am. Every Vak, Balug, Sharaz and Not-Orc will die and only then will He Who Never Sleeps have his vengeance!”

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  21:55:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your Ekur-Gruumsh could differ from Realms-Gruumsh just as Realms-Tyr differs from Norse-Tyr.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  00:03:27  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
too true

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  00:29:13  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Your Ekur-Gruumsh could differ from Realms-Gruumsh just as Realms-Tyr differs from Norse-Tyr.

Ekur Gruumsh is likely Lawful Evil for sure...as a God heading a civilized pantheon might be.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  01:02:34  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gruumsh is "He Who Watches" and "The One-Eyed God", not "He Who Is Half-Blinded" or "The Formerly-Two-Eyed God". Orcs/goblinoids maintain that Gruumsh always had two eyes, he was "born" that way. Only elves/fey/seldarine maintain that Corellon poked out one of Gruumsh's eyes, which is quite literally a fairy tale.

-Interestingly, some 4e/5e era WotC product (because I've never seen it) depicts Gruumsh as cyclopian, with neither two eyes or one with an empty socket. I looked something up on the FR Wiki and that was the image on his page. Everything obviously is always up to artistic license, but it was an interpretation I've never seen (or even thought of) before.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  05:36:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always felt that Gruumsh losing an eye in battle was a very suitable thing -- it speaks to the warlike nature of orcs, to have a deity who has been visibly wounded in his endless fights.

I think that it makes him more of an orc god than he would otherwise be. If he had never lost an eye, it takes away from the image of him as a warrior.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  06:02:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. I don't think he makes any sense looking like a cyclops. I prefer that look for GH (because both are canon), and the missing-eye look for our (FR) guy.

I mean, do cyclops' even worship him? That would at least make some sense. Hmmmm... Gruumsh as a proto-giant... that might be worth tinkering with...

quote:

quote:

-Interestingly, some 4e/5e era WotC product (because I've never seen it) depicts Gruumsh as cyclopian, with neither two eyes or one with an empty socket. I looked something up on the FR Wiki and that was the image on his page. Everything obviously is always up to artistic license, but it was an interpretation I've never seen (or even thought of) before.
That was Gruumsh's original look - check the 1e Deities & Demigods. He looked like a cyclops, which I found odd back then.

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Feb 2018 07:59:08
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  09:10:24  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That was the 3.0-edition Deities & Demigods. It's not just an art issue, the text says he has a central eye, but also that he lost the left eye. His avatars appear with both central eyes and right eyes. Presumably he likes to shift it to the centre to be symmetric.

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  13:45:30  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not all followers have to agree on all details, including use of exactly the same myths. Especially more chaotic ones.
Again, there are different pronunciations for Tempus/Tempos and Lolth/Lloth in Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  15:38:44  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The greatest of all warriors wouldn't lose an eye to a stinking elf.

He might sacrifice his eye in some way; but why would he ever lose an eye?

Even in the story the elves tell (pretty decent one found in Dragon Magazine 408) it shows Gruumsh as literally kicking elf-boy all over creation in one on one combat.

I've been reading the various bits about Gruumsh and all I can say is this: he makes one hell of a War God.

As for Orcs and their alignment. I can understand the reason they were made Chaotic Evil...it helps explain the Horde mentality versus an organized group of Lawful Evil. What they seemed to have missed though is that Orcs are only LE in order to establish pecking order and control. They don't use Law in the sense of having traditions of governmental order...anymore than the "Chaotic Good" elves are whimsical and have no order.

Alignment is not always a function of how ordered you are. Elves were originally seen as Free...while Orcs were their diametrically opposed foes. Orcs sought to enslave and control others...they were agents of bondage and servitude as written by Tolkien.

So you can have a Horde of creatures that SEEM to be unorganized and barbaric...and they can still be Lawful Evil.

Just like you can have an army composed of Chaotic Good Elves who have rigid lines of spearmen supported by rows of archers and charging knights in a diamond formation.

Alignment isn't a function of organization; it is a philosophy and it was totally lost on the designers when they decided to make Orcs Chaotic Evil.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000