Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Conan The Adventurer & FR Serpent Kingdoms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  16:03:41  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just came across a cartoon from the early 1990s called Conan the Adventurer.

Conan is Conan, obviously.

However, the big twist on this Conan is that the snakes he is fighting are snake men - yuan-ti, I guess - and they disguise themselves as human and run their empire as human-appearing overlords.

I was thinking this might be a way to work the Sarruhk into the realms without having them only be gone in the planes or buried in tombs and things. What if the actual founders of Imaskar were Sarrukh overlords that appeared human. :P

This is also very similar to the Terraseer, though they say he's undead.

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  16:11:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gygax was influenced by Conan the Barbarian. My understanding is that D&D initially emerged from the "hero" units (who were basically single characters packing the firepower of whole military units) his son liked to play in their tabletop wargaming, and the Barbarian class in the 1E Unearthed Arcana was blatantly inspired by Gygax Junior's love of Conan the Barbarian as depicted in various comics and in Ahnold's movie.

It seems entirely plausible to me that D&D and Conan comics unashamedly drew inspiration (copied) from each other during this early-1980s era of fantasy-genre copyright innocence.

And, well, "evil snakemen" resembling yuan-ti do seem like a rather obvious fantasy archetype, a (super)natural extrapolation of mythological medusa creatures.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 23 Jan 2018 16:17:00
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  16:14:52  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, and they had the Conan modules too back in the day. Half the time, Conan is fighting priesthood of Set so his connection to the Okothian Sarruhk is built in already. The big twist is that in all Conan lore, it is magic that turns people into/gives them control over snakes.

In this cartoon, they are snake people to begin with and you only discover that through magic "star-metal"
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  16:28:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the D&D cartoon from that era featured some "Conan" barbarians and some "yuan-ti" as well. Not certain, it was many years ago and it's not worth (re)watching now, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  16:50:37  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thay and to a much lesser extend Mulhorand are inspired by Stygia from the Conan comics.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  19:28:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mulhorand should have been Stygia... except Thay became Stygia... sort of.

King Kull (who is canonically Conan's Great, great, great, great {etc.} grandpappy) fought lizardmen who were unlike our traditional D&D lizardmen. They had fairly human bodies, but crocodile-like heads, and they could use illusion to disguise themselves as human. I never read those books myself (I did read Conan), but it was a part of another game I used to play a lot - Chivalry & Sorcery. That game even said those monsters were lifted right out of the Kull stories (which is how I know about it). I can see a much older version of Yuan-ti, like proto-Yuanti, being more lizardman like and just using illusions to pose as humans. Sounds very 'Sarrukh'. (EDIT: Those were actually called Serpent Men, so not really Lizardmen at all.)

I don't know if I'd have them running the Imaskari empire from behind the scenes, but I have myself - in homebrew lore I've even posted around here - said that I thought the Terraseer was probably already involved in Imaskar (and that Halaster was also secretly 'lurking' in Netheril, and the two recognized each other as 'fakes', but kept each other's secret, out of self-preservation, and just kept a careful eye on each other... but that's all homebrew, as I've said). You could switch-out the Terraseer for a different Sarrukh, and maybe even imagine another in Jhaamdath, and another in Calimshan at its height - that sort of thing. They like to 'keep tabs' on what others are doing. Its just that the Terraseer broke the 'Watcher's Code', so to speak.

I also don't say those are Sarrukh liches. Some of them might be undead, but most of them are just very ancient and withered 'husks' because they've been around too long, and even their immortal bodies are stating to break-down. Thus, they look like liches, and some are, and because there are so few of them, people just assume they all are. I suppose they might even qualify as Eberorn's 'Undying' now - not quite dead, but not fully alive, either. Guys like Elminster and Khelben would know the truth, but they wouldn't spread that around (knowledge IS power, after all).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Jan 2018 00:57:56
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  20:58:48  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-My favorite cartoon when I was a kid. Really good show.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  21:13:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

Can't hold a candle to Thundarr the Barbarian!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  00:17:47  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

who in turn could not hold a conversation like ariel the sorceress....( think that is what her name was) his female companion

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  00:40:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I was playing in a friend's game, and his "world" is earth in the far future. So, I asked if I could bring in some twists from things that we have in our society now. So, my character was Bjorn Thundarrson, who had uncovered marvel comics while hiding as a kid. He'd read about Thor. His father WAS Thundarr, but it was a one night stand from when he'd rescued their village. Anyway, Bjorn grew up and "believed" he was Thor stuck in his mortal form and he needed to find Mjolnir to change into his godly form. He also believed that his father having "the sun sword" meant that Thundarr was Frey reborn.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  01:16:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am currently running a post-apocalyptic setting (with magic) mash-up, that steals bits from EVERYWHERE, and there is definitely a 'Thudarr' vibe to stuff. Its currently on hiatus right now, because my 16 year old doesn't love me anymore (I kid - he's just a typcial 16 year old who'd rather play with his friends), but I am also watching the anime Log Horizon with my next older son (20), and I gotte say, when I get back to my campaign I am going to be stealing from that as well. Its a totally typicla D&D type magical neo-medieval world... and yet, all the ruins are quite obviously '20th century'. Like Thundarr (or, I suppose, Shannara... although I was never into that), except not as silly. I've yet to see a working train (or working anything, for that matter). The main premise of the show is intriguing - apparently, everyone is trapped in a video game they used to play. Makes me wonder whats REALLY going on (no spoilers!)

Anyhow, its pretty good, and if you like that sort of genre (alternate future?), I recommend it. I had just come from watching the last series of SwordArt Online, and was grossly disappointed (not nearly as good as the first two iterations), so I gravitated to another 'stuck in a video game world' anime.

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

quote:

quote:

who in turn could not hold a conversation like ariel the sorceress....( think that is what her name was) his female companion

Thundarr is literally the definition of 'misogyny'. He's a stereotype of a stereotype. He makes Conan look like a feminist.

Personally, I think he was a closet-furry and had a thing for Ookla.

And since I'm on the subject, Thundarr was always my favorite cartoon since it came out, and it was only usurped of that honor when Pirates of Darkwater came out. I always vowed if I ever became 'rich & famous' I would buy the franchise, just to have them finish it. I hate that the story never got finished. It did have a couple of glaring WTF? pieces of lore (I recall some sort of elevated 'water highway' that I was completely confused by), but still some great storytelling for its day. A bad guy who was actually Bad, not pitiful, and who sometimes won. That was some forward thinking for back then.

Plus, his ship was just off the chain. Some truly drool-worthy BS right there. Triple-barrel rotating cannons? It EATS other ships? It was MADE OF BONE? It literally had an 'underbelly' (Dungeon environment) that the crew avoided. Oh, and it had flyers on board, so it doubled as an aircraft carrier. That thing was AWESOME (and bear in mind I wasn't 10 when I was watching this... I never said I was mature).

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Jan 2018 01:16:43
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  02:22:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am currently running a post-apocalyptic setting (with magic) mash-up, that steals bits from EVERYWHERE, and there is definitely a 'Thudarr' vibe to stuff. Its currently on hiatus right now, because my 16 year old doesn't love me anymore (I kid - he's just a typcial 16 year old who'd rather play with his friends), but I am also watching the anime Log Horizon with my next older son (20), and I gotte say, when I get back to my campaign I am going to be stealing from that as well. Its a totally typicla D&D type magical neo-medieval world... and yet, all the ruins are quite obviously '20th century'. Like Thundarr (or, I suppose, Shannara... although I was never into that), except not as silly. I've yet to see a working train (or working anything, for that matter). The main premise of the show is intriguing - apparently, everyone is trapped in a video game they used to play. Makes me wonder whats REALLY going on (no spoilers!)

Anyhow, its pretty good, and if you like that sort of genre (alternate future?), I recommend it. I had just come from watching the last series of SwordArt Online, and was grossly disappointed (not nearly as good as the first two iterations), so I gravitated to another 'stuck in a video game world' anime.

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

quote:

quote:

Thundarr is literally the definition of 'misogyny'. He's a stereotype of a stereotype. He makes Conan look like a feminist.

Personally, I think he was a closet-furry and had a thing for Ookla.

And since I'm on the subject, Thundarr was always my favorite cartoon since it came out, and it was only usurped of that honor when Pirates of Darkwater came out. I always vowed if I ever became 'rich & famous' I would buy the franchise, just to have them finish it. I hate that the story never got finished. It did have a couple of glaring WTF? pieces of lore (I recall some sort of elevated 'water highway' that I was completely confused by), but still some great storytelling for its day. A bad guy who was actually Bad, not pitiful, and who sometimes won. That was some forward thinking for back then.

Plus, his ship was just off the chain. Some truly drool-worthy BS right there. Triple-barrel rotating cannons? It EATS other ships? It was MADE OF BONE? It literally had an 'underbelly' (Dungeon environment) that the crew avoided. Oh, and it had flyers on board, so it doubled as an aircraft carrier. That thing was AWESOME (and bear in mind I wasn't 10 when I was watching this... I never said I was mature).

Yeah, I loved Thundarr as a kid... then I rewatched it as an adult. OMG was it bad. Great for its time, and man did it make me daydream about things..... but man. I remember Pirates of Darkwater a little bit too. I remember there being some kind of bird that liked fruit.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  02:24:56  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
loved Thundarr as well. didn't like pirates of darkwater or whats his name and the golden lance though...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  04:59:15  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-I remember Thundarr reruns.

-Man, the late-80s-to-early-90s were really just a good time for hokey-yet-good action cartoons. Thundarr, Conan, He-Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, GI Joe, Transformers, Hulk Hogan's Rock N Wrestling, King Arthur, Mighty Max, Pirates of the Dark Water (criminally underrated), Captain Planet, Centurians (really under-rated)...And that doesn't even take into account the really good superhero cartoons from the rest of the '90s, the Warner Brothers boom, the Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network stuff, and the arrival of anime. What a time to be alive.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  05:02:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-Man, the late-80s-to-early-90s were really just a good time for hokey-yet-good action cartoons. Thundarr, Conan, He-Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, GI Joe, Transformers, Hulk Hogan's Rock N Wrestling, King Arthur, Mighty Max, Pirates of the Dark Water (criminally underrated), Captain Planet, Centurians (really under-rated)...And that doesn't even take into account the really good superhero cartoons from the rest of the '90s, the Warner Brothers boom, the Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network stuff, and the arrival of anime. What a time to be alive.

I loved my 80's cartoons, including some of the ones you've named here... But I've only bought 3 (non-anime) cartoon titles on DVD: Looney Tunes, Dungeons & Dragons, and Animaniacs. I've got my son hooked on the latter -- he's almost 7.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  05:04:28  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I missed out on Thundarr, lol. No worries, though, He-Man filled the gap. He-Man has a sword and some buddies and some cute girlfriends follow him around, but he's otherwise not very Conan-like at all once you look beyond his bulging toy muscles.

True, I really have no idea who Princess Ariel is or what Ookla the Mok is (outside of google) ... but I know Teela and Orco and Skeletor!

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  05:15:17  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I loved my 80's cartoons, including some of the ones you've named here... But I've only bought 3 (non-anime) cartoon titles on DVD: Looney Tunes, Dungeons & Dragons, and Animaniacs. I've got my son hooked on the latter -- he's almost 7.

-A lot of that stuff isn't available anywhere, which is sad. It's in the water tower, with the Warners. The last old series that was released that I jumped on and was really happy to do so was Gargoyles.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  06:28:38  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mulhorand should have been Stygia... except Thay became Stygia... sort of.

King Kull (who is canonically Conan's Great, great, great, great {etc.} grandpappy) fought lizardmen who were unlike our traditional D&D lizardmen. They had fairly human bodies, but crocodile-like heads, and they could use illusion to disguise themselves as human. I never read those books myself (I did read Conan), but it was a part of another game I used to play a lot - Chivalry & Sorcery. That game even said those monsters were lifted right out of the Kull stories (which is how I know about it). I can see a much older version of Yuan-ti, like proto-Yuanti, being more lizardman like and just using illusions to pose as humans. Sounds very 'Sarrukh'. (EDIT: Those were actually called Serpent Men, so not really Lizardmen at all.)

I don't know if I'd have them running the Imaskari empire from behind the scenes, but I have myself - in homebrew lore I've even posted around here - said that I thought the Terraseer was probably already involved in Imaskar (and that Halaster was also secretly 'lurking' in Netheril, and the two recognized each other as 'fakes', but kept each other's secret, out of self-preservation, and just kept a careful eye on each other... but that's all homebrew, as I've said). You could switch-out the Terraseer for a different Sarrukh, and maybe even imagine another in Jhaamdath, and another in Calimshan at its height - that sort of thing. They like to 'keep tabs' on what others are doing. Its just that the Terraseer broke the 'Watcher's Code', so to speak.

I also don't say those are Sarrukh liches. Some of them might be undead, but most of them are just very ancient and withered 'husks' because they've been around too long, and even their immortal bodies are stating to break-down. Thus, they look like liches, and some are, and because there are so few of them, people just assume they all are. I suppose they might even qualify as Eberorn's 'Undying' now - not quite dead, but not fully alive, either. Guys like Elminster and Khelben would know the truth, but they wouldn't spread that around (knowledge IS power, after all).

Thay has the flavour of Stygia, including closeness to Barbarians and a more civilized kingdom, but Mulhorand actually has SET, who techniquely helps rule Mulhorand, of course the other Gods temper his evil.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  07:17:19  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be fair, Stygia's Set is actually Yig.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  08:25:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that is SO strange. I was just reading about Yig earlier today, and then I just recommended that name for something in another thread. Weird or what?

(come to think of it, it was THIS THREAD that made me wind up there, on Wiki).

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Jan 2018 08:26:27
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  16:37:39  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Wow... that's bringing back the memories...

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  18:44:33  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

To be fair, Stygia's Set is actually Yig.

The closest being to Yig in my opinion would be Dendar the Night Serpent.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  17:52:46  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thundarr was to He-Man/Conan as Go-Bots were to the Transformers.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  19:10:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I always thought there was some Star Wars blended in there, too... Ookla the Mok was a big, strong, hairy, occasionally animalistic sidekick who only communicated in growls, much like a certain Wookiee, and Thundarr's Sunsword was just a fantasy lightsaber -- it even needed to be recharged, one episode!

I loved that cartoon, back in the day, but even then, it bothered me that an errant comet would somehow break the moon in half and cause so much of a problem on Earth.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  19:14:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Conan may have come first, but Thundarr had the somewhat original premise of being in a weird, FAR future. He-man was a knock-off of both, and pretty damn bad (Yes, I was already an adult when it aired, but I was even older when Pirates of Darkwater aired, and I could NEVER watch a single episode of He-Man... it was just so... TERRIBLE). She-Ra was slightly more watchable (even the villain was better). Whereas Thundarr was 'campy', He-Man was just plain 'crappy'. Man-E-Faces? REALLY? The first time I heard that I was like, "Just NO..."

Thundercats was kind of like Thundarr in that even though it was also 'campy' (and it pretty dated now, as are all the rest), it took itself seriously enough that you could look past the 'cheese'. He-Man just felt like some sort of bad, private-joke only the writers got. All IMO, of course. I know tons of people loved it (and 'till this day, I still can't figure out why).

Oh, and I was just talking about what a rip-off Drizzt & company were of other franchises, and it only just dawned on me that Drizzt is just Elric of Melnibonea with Battlecat! (I guess the premise there was, "If I steal from EVERYWHERE, is it really stealing?")

I heard good things about Gargoyles, but I never got to watch any of them. Then again, I still haven't watched any of the D&D cartoon either. I guess I'm a Hanna-Barbera man, through-and-through. Go Herculoids!

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Jan 2018 19:18:33
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  19:16:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I always thought there was some Star Wars blended in there, too... Ookla the Mok was a big, strong, hairy, occasionally animalistic sidekick who only communicated in growls, much like a certain Wookiee, and Thundarr's Sunsword was just a fantasy lightsaber -- it even needed to be recharged, one episode!

I loved that cartoon, back in the day, but even then, it bothered me that an errant comet would somehow break the moon in half and cause so much of a problem on Earth.
But you gotta admit, the VISUAL was just SO cool!

You'd always see that broken moon hangin' in the background... it was awesome. Sure, IMPOSSIBLE, but still awesome.

Agreed on Ookla being Chewy.

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Jan 2018 19:17:18
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  22:04:36  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I heard good things about Gargoyles, but I never got to watch any of them. Then again, I still haven't watched any of the D&D cartoon either. I guess I'm a Hanna-Barbera man, through-and-through. Go Herculoids!

Gargoyles was excellent, but Star Trek people like me will always have problems with the voices. Both Marina Sirtis (Counselor Deanna Troy) and Jonathan Frakes (Commander William Riker) voiced characters for the series and it was impossible to ignore.

Also one of the gargoyles was like a dog. Like gargoyles and gargoyle dog are from one evolutionary line and humand and our dogs are another - just strange.

That said, I liked the idea of Gargoyles being nocturnal creatures that guard over buildings while humans sleep and then turn to stone during the day.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  22:44:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gargoyles was good. It delved into the concepts of Faerie as well as a lot of old mythologies.

Hmmm, and thank you for bringing that up. I had been playing with the idea of putting more classic trolls in Abeir (that turn to stone in sunlight). That reminded me of the gargoyles that do similar. I might have to compare ideas between a bunch of different resources.

Also, if you liked Thundercats, there was a redo of Thundercats that came out on cartoon network that was pretty good. Its probably available on Netflix or hulu or something, but you can also get the complete series for $25 on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/ThunderCats-Complete-Artist-Not-Provided/dp/B00OWGP47C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516920120&sr=8-1&keywords=thundercats+series

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 25 Jan 2018 22:46:45
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2018 :  02:52:37  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Gargoyles was great, not just good!

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2018 :  14:29:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I saw some Gargoyles. I was impressed ... catchy concept, fantastic imagery, neat cartoon ... but not impressed enough to keep tuning in for more.

The voices of Riker and Troi probably contributed greatly to my disinterest in the show. Never liked either of those characters on Star Trek, in fact I rather disliked them both quite a lot.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2018 :  15:48:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm torn now. You guys have me half-convinced to try and find (and watch) the old series, but at the same time, I AM a Star Trek guy, and I think that would totally turn me off.

Ya know, I've been rewatching the ST:tNG series, because I thought it would hold up (unlike the original series), but its not nearly as good as I remembered it, and YEAH, a LOT of the characters are more annoying than interesting - Troi and Riker barely take a back seat to Wesley Crusher. Weird how I don't even remember them replacing his mother. I think the whole Pickard/Jordi/Data thing was all that held it together. Its so weird watching it now - the whole first season they had a different 'chief engineer' in every episode (the guy who would go on to have that job was just the guy who pushed the transporter levers up & down), and the captain only referred to Wesley as "The Boy". And don't even get me started on Whoopi Goldberg - she suddenly appears in season 2 and they act like the show revolves around her bar and everyone loves her? In my memory she didn't come around until much later in the series, but NOPE, there she is, season 2, 'space bartender'. *ugh*

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Gargoyles was good. It delved into the concepts of Faerie as well as a lot of old mythologies.

Hmmm, and thank you for bringing that up. I had been playing with the idea of putting more classic trolls in Abeir (that turn to stone in sunlight). That reminded me of the gargoyles that do similar. I might have to compare ideas between a bunch of different resources.

Also, if you liked Thundercats, there was a redo of Thundercats that came out on cartoon network that was pretty good. Its probably available on Netflix or hulu or something, but you can also get the complete series for $25 on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/ThunderCats-Complete-Artist-Not-Provided/dp/B00OWGP47C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516920120&sr=8-1&keywords=thundercats+series

I'm purposely avoiding the new Thundercat series - I heard it will make a fan's skin crawl (the two kids from the first series were turned into sex-slaves of Mumra? So, like pedophilia coupled with necrophilia? What sicko writer had that wetdream as a child?)

Agreed on trolls - I wish D&D had stuck closer to the folklore and Tolkien on that one.

But we DO have the folklore variety in D&D/FR canon - there was one of the small 'bridge trolls' in the Moonshaes novels, that came from Faerie (now the Feywild). For those, I just use the Runequest term, 'Trollkin' (except I say 'Trollkyn' so as to not step on their IP over-much). They look (and act) very much like the troll from the movie of the same name.

We could always say our (garden-variety D&D) trolls WERE due to experimentation - someone took a true troll (fairy troll) and crossed it with something else - probably an ogre. That would work. Instead of coming up with something roughly human-sized and resilient (a good soldier), the created an abomination. It also helps to marry the Ogre/Troll thing with Vaprak.

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Jan 2018 15:52:04
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000