Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 how to catch a murderer?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blade020877
Seeker

Ireland
66 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  14:05:40  Show Profile Send blade020877 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So my question or dilemma is,
I rule my own independent city but of late a neighbouring nation king was assassinated and his son took the crown. Once this happen the son used his army to invaded other neighbouring nations and cities.
I have required information that points fingers at the son was behind the assassin of his father.
I am a lawful good high level wizard/cleric of helm (3.5ed). history has many stories of sibling removing parents to take power and staying in power.
As the son is the ruler and has back of the ruling council as well. Is there any point to proving he killed his father so I can stop his army? Because to remove a crown of a king is so easy task.
I can see that I am on his list of targets, do I make a pre-emptive strike or prove he murdered his father and hope that the council remove him as king.
I do know he is evil and been helped by a powerful evil group that I know assassinated him father.
So what would you do if you were me?

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  16:11:50  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your problem is you are Lawful Good. If you know he did it you need to take him down.

You can't just kill him either - against your alignment/religion :P

The best thing to do would be to eliminate the power group - expose them and you expose him.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  17:50:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well your character is an independent ruler, you have no standing in that new King's realm. You would not have that right to appeal to that King's justice system (Not that it would work even for a subject of such a King).
I would think you would need to talk to leaders of other free states and survivors of states invaded to develop defense posture and form alliances to take down the King.
No if you could provide proof to the subjects of the King that he killed his father a revelotion might occur. That however depends how believable you are as compared to what the King will claim.
The better effort though likely would be proving it to other nations. Clearly any realm that seeks to extend its borders is a danger to all on the borders.

One of your allies or one of the subjects of the King, believing in quick justice will assassinate the King for the greater good.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  21:02:29  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-As a high level wizard and cleric, I'm sure there's a spell available that will help your case. Cast a Zone of Truth and ask him outright with witnesses that have power and were/are still loyal to his father.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 23 Jan 2018 21:03:16
Go to Top of Page

blade020877
Seeker

Ireland
66 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  05:11:03  Show Profile Send blade020877 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
will be every hard to get close to him to cast zone of truth as the group that is backing him has him well guarded.
i am trying to be careful with my alignment (lg) as i believe the council of the nation has been ruined too, so i was thinking about getting one of them and interrogate him or she so get more proof. but an i over stepping my mark?
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  07:20:43  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Give it to his political enemies and let them do the work? You're a wizard/cleric; just gate in a solar or something.

That aside, you serve Helm the Watcher, not Helm the Meddler.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000