Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 An article that some may find interesting
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

TBeholder
Great Reader

2383 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2018 :  21:36:30  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Best rumour ever. Things have hit rock bottom as far as im concerned so whoever buys wotc cant do any worse.

The buyers could be trademark trolls. Or a Comintern Unicorn team (there are Cards Against Humanity and Blue Rose, after all) who won't need profits because they rely on fund-suckling. Or both.
quote:
Originally posted by arry

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
I'm sincerely wondering what's keeping them afloat right now since they aren't releasing material for us to buy.

Magic the Gathering?

It also got problems now.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2018 :  23:31:56  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

The flaws of 4e could have been glossed over if they didn't decide to crap all over the Realms and Greyhawk.

In fact, this is not quite true and is one of the reasons I say that 4e isn't the bad of the story, as some may believe.

WotC did made public many of their decisions and reasons to change the Realms in 4e, and those reasons are compiled in a series of articles named "Design and Development", published in the Dragon magazines of the 4e era. Actually, I believe Markustay once confused those articles with preview books of 4e (Worlds and Monsters, and Classes and Races), when the two are unrelated. W&W and C&R have nothing to do with the development of the post-Spellplague Realms.

Something that is said in those Dragon articles is that the changes of the Realms were made by a team that was not related with the Orcus team (the developers of the 4e ruleset), but by a team assembled by the novel editors to change the Realms, known as the Forgotten Realms revision team, because they believed that the metaplots of the time made the Realms un-writeable for new novel authors (hence, why I blame the novels for the current state of the Realms ). Those changes were at first though to be agnostic to any edition, it just happened that D&D 4e was in development at the time, and so the plans for the changed Realms became the plans for the 4e Realms.

In fact, all but a very few changes to the Realms in the 4e era originated from the Realms revision team, and some of them were even later imported into 4e and not backwards. For instance, the World Axis cosmology was created originally for the Spellplagued Realms and later imported into the Nentir Vale lore. If you want, you can read more about this in Dragon 370.

As for the rest of your argument, I agree with you. Erin Evans had to fix Asmodeus backstory into one more interesting because of that.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2018 :  02:27:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

quote:
I'm sincerely wondering what's keeping them afloat right now since they aren't releasing material for us to buy.

Magic the Gathering?

Meh. Any time I see someone invoke "SJWs" it usually means they're whining that their particular subject is being made -- horror! -- for people outside of the whiner's demographic. And I take such complaints about as seriously as I take the claims of Flat Earthers.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2018 :  02:34:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

The flaws of 4e could have been glossed over if they didn't decide to crap all over the Realms and Greyhawk.

In fact, this is not quite true and is one of the reasons I say that 4e isn't the bad of the story, as some may believe.

WotC did made public many of their decisions and reasons to change the Realms in 4e, and those reasons are compiled in a series of articles named "Design and Development", published in the Dragon magazines of the 4e era. Actually, I believe Markustay once confused those articles with preview books of 4e (Worlds and Monsters, and Classes and Races), when the two are unrelated. W&W and C&R have nothing to do with the development of the post-Spellplague Realms.

Something that is said in those Dragon articles is that the changes of the Realms were made by a team that was not related with the Orcus team (the developers of the 4e ruleset), but by a team assembled by the novel editors to change the Realms, known as the Forgotten Realms revision team, because they believed that the metaplots of the time made the Realms un-writeable for new novel authors (hence, why I blame the novels for the current state of the Realms ).

I have never believed the excuses that team put together.

Why? Well, one of them was that there was no corner of the Realms where someone hadn't told a story... Which means, obviously, that they thought that no place could have be home to more than one tale. And that's utterly ridiculous.

And what was the first thing they did, novel-wise? Set six books in the same city.

So stories couldn't be told because there was no room left -- and then the first thing they do is prove their own reasoning incorrect.

And there's also the "too many gods, so we have to get rid of some!" argument -- which was followed by them creating more gods.

They spoke of supposed flaws with the setting, and then went out of their way to compound them.

So no, I don't believe that the stated reasons had anything to do with their actions. I think it was after the fact justifications.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2018 :  03:05:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Well, I guess we can just agree to disagree. We've managed to stay sane here the past couple of years - no small feat, my friends - and respect each other's opinions. I personally see a lot of truth in the article - that moving a timeline forward in a setting is damaging to the setting. Others disagree, and thats okay. We all like our Realms for different reasons (and different editions).

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Best rumour ever. Things have hit rock bottom as far as im concerned so whoever buys wotc cant do any worse.

The buyers could be trademark trolls. Or a Comintern Unicorn team (there are Cards Against Humanity and Blue Rose, after all) who won't need profits because they rely on fund-suckling. Or both.
quote:

quote:

Magic the Gathering?

Thats not the half of it.

Isn't it funny, anywhere you find SJW's on a 'witch hunt', you find pedophiles lurking around. And strangely, it isn't the pedos the SJW's are after. No sir... they' protecting them...

Almost as if they were one and the same group.

The hobby has always had this, sadly, in the background. I've seen it myself - someone even tried to make me a part of it (the guy who bought me my first RPG book tried to touch me, when I was just 16 and he was 35). A local comic store by me had gotten closed down because the owner was running D&D games for kids after-hours... and that's not all he was doing.

I've always been a 'live and let live' kind of guy. Heck, we're NERDS - it not like we were 'the cool kids'. We understand intolerance. But once you start blurring the lines of morality, and the kinds of people trying to 'blur those lines' become in charge of things - especially things kids are drawn to - then it becomes a HUGE problem.

We have to take a step back from our politics right now, and look at this logically. Why would a group (that is now being outed as 'pedophile-friendly') want to get rid of all the testosterone-swinging misogynist A-holes? Could it be because they want to continue unimpeded with their 'agenda'?

There's a storm coming...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Jan 2018 03:07:18
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2018 :  05:09:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Accusing a group of people of protecting pedophiles is perhaps the harshest accusation I've ever seen on this site. I don't see this discussion coming back from there.

We're done.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000