Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Rise of Tiamat tidbits+
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2018 :  01:50:56  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm curious where I can find references to the dragon masks. There was a small blurb over on d&d sites. Apparently they aren't a new thing, but does candlekeep have records?

Artus Cimber and the ring of winter. Artus is a chosen of Auril, only because he has the ring? Or what? Seems to be a guy who doesn't love his god if that's the case

Thanks for any information.

I" am Sathia of Orogoth

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2018 :  01:55:12  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
one of volov's guides Id imagine for the masks, or another 2e source that dealt with the cult.

artimus cimber was in one of the novels that .... Idont remember...

yeah the 2e cult of the dragon splay might have it.

think it is available for purchase on the dmsguild webpage.

otheriwse the dragons of faerun might also have it.

though last I heard anything and it may not be accurate is that those masks gave the wearer a bonus to diplomacy with chromatic dragons of the mask's color. thus a red dragon bonus with red dragons.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 16 Jan 2018 02:05:13
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2018 :  03:48:54  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-He was in the book The Ring of Winter. I don't remember him being a Chosen of Auril, though. Maybe that's a 4e/5e addition?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 16 Jan 2018 03:49:17
Go to Top of Page

lsls
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2018 :  04:24:13  Show Profile Send lsls a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20967

Dragon Magazine 367 described Artus Cimber is Auril's Chosen/Exarch.

From Brian R.James:

quote:
In the early years after the Spellplague there was a celestial war known as the Stormstar Requiem. During that divine conflict, Auril was freed by Silvanus from the influence of a sinister artifact. Over the last century her once icy demeanor has warmed considerably, and she now entertains the notion of reclaiming her mantle on the Seelie Court as the Frost Sprite Queen. Auril courting of Artus Cimber as one of her chosen reflects that changing world view.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2018 :  04:25:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-He was in the book The Ring of Winter. I don't remember him being a Chosen of Auril, though. Maybe that's a 4e/5e addition?

It was a DDI thing, as I recall, making him a Chosen of Auril. I think the in-setting reasoning is that Auril is trying to shed some of her "Fury God" schtick for something a little -- pardon the pun -- warmer and more appealing to larger numbers of people.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2018 :  06:51:49  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re read the relevant dragon magazines. All but 127 are about live dragons, though they show some lively magic.

I" am Sathia of Orogoth
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2018 :  12:49:53  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Artus as a Chosen of Auril doesn't make much sense unless it is only because of the Ring. This makes sense if, like "mortal" chosen, the ring is a vessel of Auril's power and by extension, its wielder is her chosen - no matter who that wielder is. This would make a lot of sense if you ask me because it makes the wearer immortal and gives him or her power over ice and snow and weather.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2018 :  12:51:19  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To my knowledge the Dragon Masks are introduced in 5e
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2018 :  12:52:31  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the web page google led me to with a full description:

http://www.tribality.com/2014/11/05/dragon-masks-tyranny-of-dragons/

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2018 :  13:08:17  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what happened with Iyraclea? In her write up it says that after her death she was made into an Exarch by Auril. Did they conveniently forget about her or did they just push her to the side without any regard for the Realms?

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

Edited by - Shadowsoul on 16 Jan 2018 13:57:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2018 :  13:30:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Artus as a Chosen of Auril doesn't make much sense unless it is only because of the Ring. This makes sense if, like "mortal" chosen, the ring is a vessel of Auril's power and by extension, its wielder is her chosen - no matter who that wielder is. This would make a lot of sense if you ask me because it makes the wearer immortal and gives him or her power over ice and snow and weather.

Given the way the Ring basically punishes evil, though, I'm skeptical of any connection betwixt it and Auril -- unless that connection predates the "evil ice queen" routine Auril is known for.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2018 :  13:58:05  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Given the way the Ring basically punishes evil, though, I'm skeptical of any connection betwixt it and Auril -- unless that connection predates the "evil ice queen" routine Auril is known for.

Sounds to me like someone just failed to do their homework.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2018 :  14:11:16  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure who you're suggesting didn't do their homework. I doubt Brian didn't do his homework. More likely the 5E crew missed it, when they put everything back. Seems more like there is an interesting story to be told there. Perhaps when Auril lost some of her wickedness, she reclaimed her power from Iyraclea. Also the ring could originally be a Feywild item linked to the Frost Sprite Queen.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2018 :  14:30:05  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Not sure who you're suggesting didn't do their homework. I doubt Brian didn't do his homework. More likely the 5E crew missed it, when they put everything back. Seems more like there is an interesting story to be told there. Perhaps when Auril lost some of her wickedness, she reclaimed her power from Iyraclea. Also the ring could originally be a Feywild item linked to the Frost Sprite Queen.

I blame them all to be honest. We are seeing a "lot" of instances where things are totally ignored. The problem with using FR as your flagship setting is the fact that leaving things out without an explanation sticks out like a sore thumb. Also, let's not forget that as of 1484 DR Hedrun Arnsfirth was the Chosen of Auril. I don't see anywhere that Auril "lost her wickedness". It sounds like trying to BS away events because people forget to do the research.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2018 :  14:34:33  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Perhaps when Auril lost some of her wickedness, she reclaimed her power from Iyraclea.

Auril doesn't have to, she's been siphoning power from Ulutiu while he slumbers beneath the ice.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2018 :  23:24:26  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-That's an interesting concept. I'm 99% sure that there are no instances of a physical thing being imbued by a divine power like that, but I so no reason why they couldn't- especially if the item had like a sentience.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2018 :  02:26:36  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if you have to argue it actually punishes evil. Pretty much every example we know of the evil is "punished" because they over-reach. Meglomania resulting in stupid choices.

Alternately, the rig could be a scepter of Savras kind of thing. Someone used it to capture, idk, say 1/10 her power long ago and this reduced her to a lesser goddess.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2018 :  02:51:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off, it seems Brian was making some sort of attempt at merging Auril with the Raven Queen ("A kinder, gentler Ice Queen" LOL)

However, I would spin it like this: Auril began loosing ground as soon as tRQ entered the realms, and she got scared (probably for the first time in a VERY long time). She got in touch with some 'old friends' from the Celtic pantheon (the Celtic and fey pantheons were most-likely a single pantheon at some point - I would hazard to guess the Celtic was a bunch of human-aspected variants that broke-away from the Seldarine). Silvanus, being a truly ancient power (he may even be a humanish aspect of Rillifane Rallathil) assisted her, by performing some sort of 'balancing' magic (Nature is all about 'The Balance'), to stop the spread of curruption she originally received from the Black Diamond, and although she is still corrupted (and has occasional 'bouts of madness'), she is now capable of interacting with others with some measure of control (just like Larael when she was under the influence of the Crown of Horns). Her 'wicked nature' (the corruption within her) probably hated having to do that, but it was better than just having the Raven Queen completely supplant her, eventually. At least now she can start developing something akin to a normal faith, rather than just crazy cults.

The Ring of Winter and Artimus Cimbar - I've actually connected the ring to another artifact - the Ice Necklace of of Ulutiu. There were three pieces to the Jewels of Winter that belonged to the original Frost Queen - the two just mentioned, and the Crown of Frost, which is currently still worn by Auril. When she was corrupted by the Black Diamond, she lost the other two items (I have lore to go with all that, but this isn't the place, nor is it 'ready'). She would court him as an exarch, but I would make him an unwilling one (not all exarchs/demigods have desired be 'Chosen' of a god - for some, it was simply thrust upon him. Lets not forget that there is a theory (one that refuses to die) that Drizzt Do'Urden is really a Chosen of Lolth. You GET 'chosen', you DON'T get to choose.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I'd spin it that Silvanus returned the Crown of Frost to her - he had it for safekeeping - and that's what 'mellowed her out' (it helped to counteract the madness).

And while we are on a related subject, I still think that guy at the end of the Threat from the Sea trilogy should have turned out to be a paladin of Umberlee. In fact, I still want that - retcon time! It would have made the whole ending 1000% better. Nothing worse than having a certain god 'foreshadowed' for three entire books (repeatedly, over & over, like an over-used 'red herring'), and then it turn out to be exactly the ending that the books pointed to all along. I'm still disappointed, some 15 years later.

A Chosen of Umberlee? A good one? Now THAT is something I can sink my teeth into. A Chosen of a god that already has 10K Paladins, and you've basically just become number 10,001? Not so much...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Jan 2018 03:01:28
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2018 :  21:38:37  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The most recent write up of the Ring of Winter in ToA deviated a tad from old lore. For one, it is no longer a good artifact that punishes selfish or evil intent. Kind of a shame that this bit is gone since a lot of the lore in James Lowder’s novel Ring of Winter (still one of my absolute favorites) focused heavily on that concept. Other than that, it’s new stats (in addition to Artus Cimber and the dragon turtle Aramag) were redone quite well.

Speaking of Aramag, can any of you kaiju fans pick up on his hidden identity?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2018 :  22:01:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

The most recent write up of the Ring of Winter in ToA deviated a tad from old lore. For one, it is no longer a good artifact that punishes selfish or evil intent. Kind of a shame that this bit is gone since a lot of the lore in James Lowder’s novel Ring of Winter (still one of my absolute favorites) focused heavily on that concept. Other than that, it’s new stats (in addition to Artus Cimber and the dragon turtle Aramag) were redone quite well.

I personally felt it was rather nerfed.

quote:

I only caught that last year, when someone else here commented on it. In my defense, though, I'm not a kaiju fan. I don't dislike them; it's just not my thing.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2018 :  22:22:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If its a giant turtle Kaiju, then its probably Gamera (even though a nearly identical creature - with almost the same exact name - is written up in canon SJ).

The lore can be fixed, if we go with some of my homebrew above - the Jewels of Winter ('Regalia of Winter'?) are three items that originally belonged to the Fairy Court (The Court of Stars) and were in the possession of the original Frost Queen. They were supposed to be passed-down to her daughter - the Frost-Sprite Princess - when she took her mother's place. However, things didn't work out that way, and Auril (WHY do I keep forgetting her FULL name?) became corrupted and became the Queen of Air & Darkness. Thus, when the Fey fled into the Feywild and created their new homeland, Auril was left-behind, and the Jewels of Winter were scattered (Silvanus took the crown for safe-keeping, and the Necklace went to the original frost-Sprite King, Ulutiu (who was soon-after imprisoned by Annam in the glacier). The ring was lost - it was probably taken by another fey - and eventually wound-up in Artimus' hands thousands and thousands of years later.

Because the artifacts were all part of the Fey Court (which was a 'lesser branch' of the Seldarine at that point in time), they were considered 'good'. The truth is, like the Fey themselves, their artifacts are fickle and temperamental, and tend to steer towards the alignment of the possessor over time. When Artimus had them for a time - a very long time, in fact - the Ring of Winter became 'attuned' to him, and it had his alignment. Now that Auril is starting to exert control over Artimus (and through him, the ring), the artifact is starting to become more attuned to Auril herself (especially since it is rightfully hers to begin with). She has had her crown back for nearly a century now, and it is helping her 'remain stable' (she is able to control her primal rage... up to a point). She should also be seeking to have Ulutiu be an exarch under her purview, along with the necklace. With all three items within her sphere of influence, it will give her unconditional control over cold and winter in the Realms, to the point where she will be able to force the Raven Queen back out of realmspace.

Further Homebrew Musings:
For her part, the Raven Queen (who might actually be someone else we already know, or a different aspect of her) is trying to make a place for herself within the faerûnian Pantheon, which has not been an easy task, since so many death-related portfolios are already taken (as well as cold). She is on good terms with Jergal, but thus far Kelemvor has only offered her an exarchship under him, which she feels is beneath her status. She would prefer to be his 'partner', or even consort, if that's what it would take. Considering the new Mystra's 'cold shoulder' toward Kelemvor (the 'Midnight' part of her is no longer present), he may eventually take the Raven Queen up on that offer, especially if he needs allies against a restored Cyric.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Jan 2018 22:25:14
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2018 :  11:13:35  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It might just be me, but in my mind Lowder's lore trumps anything new since anything new is based on it and he created it, just like I'd defer any discussion of moonblades to Elaine or the whole damn realms to Ed :)
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2018 :  12:53:18  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It might just be me, but in my mind Lowder's lore trumps anything new since anything new is based on it and he created it, just like I'd defer any discussion of moonblades to Elaine or the whole damn realms to Ed :)

Yeah, I can’t really disagree with you on that. I mean, canonically, the RoW has already had some catastrophic affects that don’t seem possible with its power list in 5e. I wonder if this is a trend - artifacts don’t seem to have the world shaking powers they had in early editions (just an opinion).

Dragonbait in Chult too, was rather unexpected.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2018 :  13:36:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Agree heavily on the ring losing the punishing. Flavor is wonderful. Losing it makes things bland.

Ok, I will admit to having recently gained an interest in Kaiju only because of the nyama-nummo, but I've barely looked into it. Unless its Gamera (which the guy mentioned in Jungles of Chult doesn't fly while spinning in circles with rockets shooting out of his "shell holes"), I'm not sure. Is that the linkage you were thinking? If not, spill, because I'm intrigued.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2018 :  14:18:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Agree heavily on the ring losing the punishing. Flavor is wonderful. Losing it makes things bland.

Ok, I will admit to having recently gained an interest in Kaiju only because of the nyama-nummo, but I've barely looked into it. Unless its Gamera (which the guy mentioned in Jungles of Chult doesn't fly while spinning in circles with rockets shooting out of his "shell holes"), I'm not sure. Is that the linkage you were thinking? If not, spill, because I'm intrigued.

It is indeed Gamera -- just spell "Aramag" backwards.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2018 :  15:24:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

It is indeed Gamera -- just spell "Aramag" backwards.

Oh, I'm dumb.... lol...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2018 :  15:42:10  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I can’t really disagree with you on that. I mean, canonically, the RoW has already had some catastrophic affects that don’t seem possible with its power list in 5e. I wonder if this is a trend - artifacts don’t seem to have the world shaking powers they had in early editions (just an opinion).

Dragonbait in Chult too, was rather unexpected.

I may need to rewatch it but In Chris Perkins Dice Camera Action game he did provide more information about the ring. One the ring was crafted by “Elves”. I am not sure if he meant the elven people or fey ones (eladrain) The second reveal is in the right hands it can bring a global winter.

Also, I do think Markustay is on to something about Auril and the Ring of Winter. The more ‘warmer’ she becomes the ‘colder’ the ring becomes.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2018 :  17:34:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

If its a giant turtle Kaiju, then its probably Gamera (even though a nearly identical creature - with almost the same exact name - is written up in canon SJ).

The lore can be fixed, if we go with some of my homebrew above - the Jewels of Winter ('Regalia of Winter'?) are three items that originally belonged to the Fairy Court (The Court of Stars) and were in the possession of the original Frost Queen. They were supposed to be passed-down to her daughter - the Frost-Sprite Princess - when she took her mother's place. However, things didn't work out that way, and Auril (WHY do I keep forgetting her FULL name?) became corrupted and became the Queen of Air & Darkness. Thus, when the Fey fled into the Feywild and created their new homeland, Auril was left-behind, and the Jewels of Winter were scattered (Silvanus took the crown for safe-keeping, and the Necklace went to the original frost-Sprite King, Ulutiu (who was soon-after imprisoned by Annam in the glacier). The ring was lost - it was probably taken by another fey - and eventually wound-up in Artimus' hands thousands and thousands of years later.

Because the artifacts were all part of the Fey Court (which was a 'lesser branch' of the Seldarine at that point in time), they were considered 'good'. The truth is, like the Fey themselves, their artifacts are fickle and temperamental, and tend to steer towards the alignment of the possessor over time. When Artimus had them for a time - a very long time, in fact - the Ring of Winter became 'attuned' to him, and it had his alignment. Now that Auril is starting to exert control over Artimus (and through him, the ring), the artifact is starting to become more attuned to Auril herself (especially since it is rightfully hers to begin with). She has had her crown back for nearly a century now, and it is helping her 'remain stable' (she is able to control her primal rage... up to a point). She should also be seeking to have Ulutiu be an exarch under her purview, along with the necklace. With all three items within her sphere of influence, it will give her unconditional control over cold and winter in the Realms, to the point where she will be able to force the Raven Queen back out of realmspace.

Further Homebrew Musings:
For her part, the Raven Queen (who might actually be someone else we already know, or a different aspect of her) is trying to make a place for herself within the faerûnian Pantheon, which has not been an easy task, since so many death-related portfolios are already taken (as well as cold). She is on good terms with Jergal, but thus far Kelemvor has only offered her an exarchship under him, which she feels is beneath her status. She would prefer to be his 'partner', or even consort, if that's what it would take. Considering the new Mystra's 'cold shoulder' toward Kelemvor (the 'Midnight' part of her is no longer present), he may eventually take the Raven Queen up on that offer, especially if he needs allies against a restored Cyric.

BTW, I do like this idea of the Regalia of Winter. I wouldn't say this Regalia is all Auril's. For instance, maybe Ulutiu as you said had the necklace. By the way, we know Ulutiu was the father of some of the giants (firbolg, fomorian, verbeeg, and voadkyn... at least 2 of which are "woodsy" types of giants, and fomorians are also considered fey giants). I wouldn't be surprised if he also fathered fey races on Auril, such as "frost sprites" and "Snow Elves" and possibly even "Avariels" (though perhaps Auril hooked up with an Aearee deity if she's the mother of Avariels). I say that because Auril was seemingly also an archfey (Aurilandur) who was queen of the snow sprites and avariels worship her under that name as well. In that vein Ulutiu could be either Tarsellis Meunniduin or Rellavar Danuvien (see the article on seldarine deities in Dragon 236 and the article on snow elves in dragon 155)..... so he may be some kind of Archfey/Primal Spirit/Primordial... not sure which and not sure I can truly define the big difference.

Anyway, getting back to the original thing you mentioned... yeah, I like the idea of the Regalia of Winter: a ring of winter, a crown of winter, a necklace of winter. I'd say throw in even more pieces to make it harder to acquire all the pieces. Maybe a scepter of winter, a brooch of winter, a torc of winter, a barrette of winter, a locket of winter. Maybe some of it is even not jewelry, such as a fur coat of winter. Maybe some boots. Maybe a pair of gloves. Maybe a fur scarf. Not saying have all these, just throwing out options.

Maybe some of these fur pieces were made from some kind of primordial beast of cold that was slain. Hell, maybe even something like the scepter is using its bones. Maybe the necklace is using its teeth.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2018 :  18:38:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just don't do a Codpiece of Winter. That would be... problematic.

"I'm telling you, it's because of this artifact!"

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2018 :  19:16:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, part of what I do with all the Over-cosmology crap I am always harping on (and apologies all around for that), is that the Fey and Giants have deep connections, that go all the way back before the creation of the current multiverse, to the Time before Time (which is actually canon, thanks to 4e, BTW). I mean the part about 'when' they were from, before the Lattice of Heaven was shattered and the Crystal Spheres were formed as a result of that. Not the parts I put in about Faerie (the Feywild). However, that's also canon, but not D&D canon - it comes straight out of RW (Irish) folklore. The Giants had the realm first (the fomorians just before the fey arrived, but their was a series of races - probably all giant species - that held it in a row), and then the Tautha DeDannan (literally, 'followers of Danu') showed up and took it from the giants, in a series of wars (which continue to this day, in the Feywild, but to a much lesser extent, since the giants have pretty-much lost already).

I think Uluitu was made into an archfey in 4e, wasn't he? Otherwise he was one of those 'primal spirits', which is probbaly the most confusing bit of 4e lore and the hardest for me to rectify with everything else. Either way, we have a fairly 'human' description of him, yet in the short story featuring him (one of the "Realms of..." books) his description makes him sound like a playful penguin. He is even described as having smooth black skin and FLIPPERS. But, being a deity (even a demi-one) means that he can shape-change, ESPECIALLY if he was an archfey. Thus he probably has a beast form, and a hybrid form (and this works even if he is one of those 'primal' thingies).

The way I am picturing it, most of the original archfey either died, sacrificed themselves, or 'moved on' (to other positions within the Fey Courts), and a new group 'took over'. This helps explain some discrepancies between names (in editions) right around the time the Fey fled the Prime Material Plane into the Feywild. The one big problem I have with all that is that in my homebrew lore the Feywild (the Giantlands back then) should not have existed until after the Lattice of Heaven was broken. Not sure if that is reconcilable (but I do have an idea).

Anyway, there should have been a 'Queen of Frost' that lost that position. Then we have two sisters - princesses of the Fey - who were supposed to take over and became Queens, but one - Auril - got corrupted by the Black Diamond. Corellon warns the archfey that that was a 'sign' he forsaw showing the ed of the fey homland (Ladinion), and that they needed to find a 'safe space'. then (completely hombrew here), the goddess Danu - the original Queen of all fey (and probably Tiania's mother) sacrifices herself and creates Faerie, a pocket-plane not unlike that one the Star Elves made (Sildëyuir). In fact, a bunch of original archfey (who should have been akin to at least lesser gods at that point) could have created sevral of these 'bubbles' to save the fey - not every one may have wanted to go with Titania and her court of stars.

Whoever was the original Frost Queen - probably the second most powerful female fey in their hierarchy - was gone (I have my suspicions about her, and who she was as well), but the Regalia of Winter could not be passed on to Auril because of her corruption, and the fey felt it best to leave it in the Prime Material until a time when someone could become the new Frost Sprite Queen. Silvanus (who is probably a human aspect of a fey god - maybe Rillifane), took the crown, and promised to keep an eye on Auril. Ulutiu took the necklace, and some thus-far nameless archfey took the ring, but that person was later killed (or whatever), and the ring 'got lost' in the Realms.

Now here's the thing - the novel specifically stated that the ruins Artus Cimbar found were of 'Mulhorand origin' - thats where he found the ring. Except those ruins were somehow in the Stonelands area. I've translated that to mean Imaskari (and easy mistake to make for a northern scholar over a thousand years ago, who would not have know the differences between all the southern ruins), and THAT got folded into my lore concerning Halaster's involvement with Thaeravel (in other words, the 'Alabaster Towers' were of Imaskari architecture, and Artus Cimbar mistook that for Mulhorandi).

So it all comes full-circle. Somehow, a 'renegade' band of Imaskari got a hold of the Ring of Winter and brought it to the Stonelands when they built towers there. They got it from the fey, and we KNOW the Imaskari had some major dealing with the fey (and I also think the original fey hmeland - fallen Ladinion - became part of the Forgotten realms and is somewhere near the Hordelands). We might even surmise that the attack and devastation on Thaeravel was prompted by the Terraseer, who wanted to get his hands on the ancient fey artifact (or just get it away from the Imaskari, who he may have felt threatened by).

Interesting timeline:
163 DR: The Ring of Winter is last reported used on Faerûn in this year, when a village and a Cormyrean lord’s estates are destroyed in a massive icestorm during high summer.
168 DR: A wizard of unknown ancestry calling himself Halaster Blackcloak, later identified as the Raurinese wizard Hilather [150, 1026], builds a tower and fortified ramparts in the middle of the Deepwater Plateau, to the north and west of the burgeoning farms along the harbor shore in Waterdeep. He begins exploration of the Underhalls of the Melairkyn and claims the delvings for himself.
212 DR: Elminster Aumar, Archmage of Shadowdale, is born.

I put in the reference to Elminster only because I was going to try and connect the ring's appearance to him, but I miss by about 50 years. However, I never noticed before how Elminster was conceived not too long after Halaster moved to nearby Wtaerdeep. I always thought there was a reseblance.

And this, from the novel-
quote:
"Come have a look at this, Pontifax," Artus Murmired, his attention instantly drawn back to the statue. "Its Mulhorandi form the looks of it, and very old, too."
A frown of concern crossed Pontifax's face, and he stepped into the room. "Mulhorandi, you say? For Mystra's sake, don't touch the thing until you've examined it under better lighting. You know what happened to Grig of Armot when he bought that blasted magical model of a Mulhorandi pyramid at the magefair. Still trapped inside, don't you know."

Thats right on page 2, in the ruins where Artus finds the ring. Now, even though it says that they were in ruins 'somewhere in northern Cormyr', there is other lore stating it was found 'near Shadowdale. Now, having Mulhorand (which I think is really Imaskari) ruins in Cormyr proper doesn't make sense, directly to the north we have the Stonelands - a region traditionally claimed by Cormyr (and filled with mysterious ruins of unknown origins), and also happens to be not all that far away from Shadowdale.

And now that I've quoted that, I have it stuck in my head to figure-out where Armot was...

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Jan 2018 19:23:01
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2018 :  19:35:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And why the hell doesn't the Wiki contain Auril's REAL NAME under her entry? Thats the third time in 2 days I've gone to the wiki for a piece of directly related information and the Wiki was sorely lacking (like not having the actual meaning of the word 'Drow' under the drow entry, for example). For awhile there I was really starting to find it useful, but now I'm back to not being able to find the crunchy stuff I need.

For the 100th time, can someone once-again tell me her name? I couldn't even find it in Brian's article on the Frostmaiden (which is pretty weird - where else could it be?) this time I will WRITE IT DOWN, I promise.

However, I did find something else not related (I think) in the Wiki entry - the folk of the Great Glacier call her Saukuruk - isn't that oddly close to 'Sarrukh'?

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Jan 2018 19:35:43
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000