Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Skullport
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mikie
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2018 :  02:46:28  Show Profile Send mikie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met all! It's been a VERY long time since I've adventured here. Getting into a new campaign and trying out 5th edition too. My question is: Where can I find information on Skullport? I remember reading it somewhere. Dragon Magazine? Volo's? Anyway, also looking for a thieves guilds OR assassins guilds in Skullport. Any information or suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks!

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2018 :  02:55:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For 5e there isn't all that much, Back in 2e, there was the sourcebook, Skullport. The only major thing I recall is something bad happening to The promenade (I think it blew-up).

A lots changed, but then again, a lot hasn't (to the point of stupidity LOL).

Most of the main players in Skullport are probably still around, since many of them were non-human, thus, the 2e sources may work fine for you.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2018 :  03:55:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were a couple Dragon Magazine articles, but the bulk of the information is in the Skullport sourcebook.

There was also an update on Skullport in the DDI. (Is the DDI even around any more?) Dungeon "magazine" 200, March 2012 (I use the quotation marks, because those so-called electronic magazines never even approached the amount of content or value of the printed magazines)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2018 :  04:12:11  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Skullport also has a big section in the 2nd Ed. city of Splendors box set. And of course all the huge changes in undermountain from the various 3rd/4th E books would have major Skullport effects.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2018 :  11:39:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There were a couple Dragon Magazine articles, but the bulk of the information is in the Skullport sourcebook.

There was also an update on Skullport in the DDI. (Is the DDI even around any more?) Dungeon "magazine" 200, March 2012 (I use the quotation marks, because those so-called electronic magazines never even approached the amount of content or value of the printed magazines)

Yep, “Seeing the Sights of Skullport” - great article by Ed and the unsung Steven Schend in Dragon #172.

— George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2018 :  22:27:38  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Oh man, I remember that (the thing, not the article). Did they ever actually make the character generator/online tabletop/etc. that was supposed to be rolled out at or near the 4e debut?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2018 :  23:03:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, the guy who was presumably working on it never actually worked on it (he just collected a paycheck for doing nothing for well over a year). He finally got caught when they asked for something to show, and he stole someone else's work from another website.

And he killed himself... but there was a bit more to it than that. Sad story, really.

In Paul Kemp's novels, I think a couple of the Skulls got destroyed, which is pretty major. And of course, Halaster's death should have had a HUGE impact on the place: Drow never moved against it in force, because Halaster was the drow 'boogyman' - he literally made the entire race crap their pants (after all, he walked right into an illithid enclave, killed them all EASILY, and settled there).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Jan 2018 23:04:14
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2018 :  00:30:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

No, the guy who was presumably working on it never actually worked on it (he just collected a paycheck for doing nothing for well over a year). He finally got caught when they asked for something to show, and he stole someone else's work from another website.

And he killed himself... but there was a bit more to it than that. Sad story, really.

In Paul Kemp's novels, I think a couple of the Skulls got destroyed, which is pretty major. And of course, Halaster's death should have had a HUGE impact on the place: Drow never moved against it in force, because Halaster was the drow 'boogyman' - he literally made the entire race crap their pants (after all, he walked right into an illithid enclave, killed them all EASILY, and settled there).

Wait, they never got that virtual tabletop working? I only subscribed near the end of 4e for a month or two so that I could download all the mags, so I never tried to use it or their character generator.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2018 :  01:13:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think they may have eventually got some sort of character generator going, but it wasn't the one promised, and it was too little, too late. By the time anything like that was released they were well into developing 5e.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2018 :  02:31:35  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Whoa? What was the name of the guy? Wanna read more about that.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2018 :  02:34:35  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which novel was that Markustay?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2018 :  02:41:44  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The Erevis Cale Trilogy. The evil super-Gith Sojourner weakened the spell mantle and it eventually failed and caused a lot of chaos.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 13 Jan 2018 02:42:01
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2018 :  05:08:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Wait, they never got that virtual tabletop working? I only subscribed near the end of 4e for a month or two so that I could download all the mags, so I never tried to use it or their character generator.

They never got it working, that I'm aware of... And I think that was perhaps their biggest failing. I am of the opinion that a good virtual tabletop, backed by the makers of D&D and with integrated support for the latest ruleset (as well as rules-neutral options), would have done far more to invigorate the RPG market than a new ruleset.

It doesn't matter how cool a ruleset you have to offer, people aren't going to play it if they can't gather with someone to play with. A good VTT would solve that issue quite nicely.

And yes, I know there are some popular VTTs out there... But they weren't backed/supported/plugged by WotC. I honestly didn't even know any existed until WotC failed to come thru with one. That's why I say that WotC has to be pushing it: it would get orders of magnitude more attention among D&D players if the makers of D&D were pointing people at it.

Until 4E came out, WotC was the dominant name in gaming, and though Paizo briefly knocked them out of that spot, they've since reclaimed it. If the biggest name in RPGs was endorsing even a halfway decent VTT, it'd get a lot more people back to the table, because they'd be able to find other players that matched their availability, instead of having to try to juggle schedules with the only local gamers they know *and* find a place to game on top of that.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2018 :  14:09:13  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In Paul Kemp's novels, I think a couple of the Skulls got destroyed, which is pretty major.

Don't these guys reform after a while?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2018 :  16:41:33  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
actually - they reform immediately from a random skull somewhere in skullport (possibly even one still being used, which I always thought was cool).
Go to Top of Page

Balmar Foghaven
Learned Scribe

Canada
124 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2018 :  06:23:32  Show Profile Send Balmar Foghaven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While not directly mentioning Skullport per se, Ed's latest novel "Death Masks" briefly included the Xanathar and his lackeys. IIRC, Suthool was getting mixed up with masked lord plots and whatnot, I shall not reveal any major spoilers for those who haven't read it.

"Despair not, for in the end all things shall work out for the best - in at least one timeline."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2018 :  22:53:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

I don't remember, and although I recall enough of the details to find it, I'd rather not. Some of those details really hit home for me, personally, and I can actually identify with the poor bastard.

In the end end, two lives were tragically lost, and WotC got screwed-over BIG TIME - it took them an entire edition to recover from it. Amazing how much one failed marriage can take-out in collateral damage.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2018 :  19:08:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, why can't Skullport/Waterdeep have been cool like THIS?

Thats some serious mapping-skills right there - I am so stealing this for something.

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Jan 2018 19:08:57
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2018 :  02:29:29  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

I don't remember, and although I recall enough of the details to find it, I'd rather not. Some of those details really hit home for me, personally, and I can actually identify with the poor bastard.

In the end end, two lives were tragically lost, and WotC got screwed-over BIG TIME - it took them an entire edition to recover from it. Amazing how much one failed marriage can take-out in collateral damage.

He was called "the Sojourner" and his real name was Vostym.

He is only ever mentioned in those books.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2018 :  03:20:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now I am thoroughly confused. I thought he was referring to my RW reference of an old WotC employee - the one who was supposed to be working on the virtual tabletop.

However, after rereading all of the above, you may be right, and he may have been asking about who the Erevis Cale book was about (other than Erevis Cale, LOL). However, I don't think it was the Sojournor who destroyed the skulls. I don't think it was his minions either, but I could be wrong. The were Slaad, but even for Slaadi, destroying the skulls shouldn't have been such an easy task. Was it Cale and his group that did it? I may have to reread those now -I really liked the concept of the 'Weave Tap', and have used it elsewhere in my own musings.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2018 :  09:41:58  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was all a big mess if memory serves. About a decade since I read that though so my memory might be incorrect.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2018 :  09:43:09  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

It was all a big mess if memory serves. About a decade since I read that though so my memory might be incorrect.

I remember that the slaad had some kind of magical item that the sojourner made specifically for their assignment in Skullport.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2018 :  11:03:05  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I may have to reread those now -I really liked the concept of the 'Weave Tap', and have used it elsewhere in my own musings.

Yeah, I think the Erevis Cale series is among the best in the Realms (which of course is why they kept bringing him back). I was a bit disappointed with the ending - very anti-climactic if you ask me. How its possible for a mini-RSE to be anti-climactic IDK but that's what I thought.

They also led directly into an obsession with shadows. Everyone was Shar and Shadows for a few years which I think is one of the weakest parts of the Realms. Shar was cool when she was this dark mysterious something in diametric opposition to Selune... Then all of a sudden she's the most powerful god in the Pantheon and she's repeatedly threatening to eradicate not just Toril but all existence. Was not a fan of that shift.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2018 :  14:15:14  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I may have to reread those now -I really liked the concept of the 'Weave Tap', and have used it elsewhere in my own musings.

Yeah, I think the Erevis Cale series is among the best in the Realms (which of course is why they kept bringing him back). I was a bit disappointed with the ending - very anti-climactic if you ask me. How its possible for a mini-RSE to be anti-climactic IDK but that's what I thought.

They also led directly into an obsession with shadows. Everyone was Shar and Shadows for a few years which I think is one of the weakest parts of the Realms. Shar was cool when she was this dark mysterious something in diametric opposition to Selune... Then all of a sudden she's the most powerful god in the Pantheon and she's repeatedly threatening to eradicate not just Toril but all existence. Was not a fan of that shift.

Reminds me of Supernatural. Loved it when it was just the "monster of the week", but when they introduced God and the devil that blew it for me.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2018 :  15:19:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wasn't as impressed with the series, myself -- and that ending made me want to hurl the book across the room.

quote:

Actually, the shadow thing predates Erevis Cale. They started that with the advent of 3E and the return of Shade. Suddenly, just about every other established force for evil in the Realms was suddenly kicked to the side, and it became ALL SHAR, ALL THE TIME. Which was even more inexplicable, to me, because Mask had Shadows as one of his portfolios.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2018 :  19:30:32  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wasn't as impressed with the series, myself -- and that ending made me want to hurl the book across the room.

I know right?

I thought the Sojourner was among the best new villians and wham bam - he just likes shade. Seriously how lame.

I did love Cale though. The scenes where he's struggling between choosing a normal life and seizing power were great. Then he'd go all out bad-ass and then boomerang back to doubt.

quote:
Actually, the shadow thing predates Erevis Cale. They started that with the advent of 3E and the return of Shade. Suddenly, just about every other established force for evil in the Realms was suddenly kicked to the side, and it became ALL SHAR, ALL THE TIME. Which was even more inexplicable, to me, because Mask had Shadows as one of his portfolios.

True, Shade was the other half of the shadow coin and it did come first. The whole shadow thing bothers me a lot. I used to love the shadows sub-plots. The old Shadowlord books from the Harppers series were great yet after they came out the whole Realms did not go shadow crazy.

Edited by - The Masked Mage on 17 Jan 2018 19:41:11
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2018 :  20:44:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, my fave character from the series was the fashion-conscious slaad. The idea of an extra-planar critter being so concerned about his attire was a delightful variation from the norm, and made him stand out far more than any of the others, for me.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2018 :  20:56:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like RAS, I think Paul Kemp's writing outweighs - and even supplants - the story itelf. Thus, the story doesn't have to be great for us to enjoy it. Ed Greenwood, on the other hand, I think of in quite the opposite fashion - the man is a consummate storyteller (hence, his world-building skills). His writing, IMHO, isn't up to par with Salvatore's or Kemp's, but he more than makes up for it with 'meat'. They all keep me coming back, no matter how much I bitch & moan about stuff.

Now, Elaine Cunnigham - she's in a class by herself. Excellent writer AND excellent storyteller - how she is not more popular/famous - like J.K. Rowling famous - I'll never know. Her Evermeet novel is probably the only book I ever reread IMMEDIATELY after finishing it... it was just THAT GOOD. I think with the right material, she could create a series that would put HP to shame.

I think the Liriel story is more timely now than when they were written - I guess 'fame & fortune' is more about timing than anything else. In this post-Hunger Games, post-Divergent (and current 'Eleven' Stranger Things) social climate, the Liriel dark elf character has TONS of traction.

EDIT:
In Netflix recent Brightmovie, the female elf (Tikka) that 'turned good' from being bad is a perfect example of exactly that type of character - she was my favorite part of the movie (Will Smith is always fun to watch, but he's basically the same character every time).

quote:

Actually, my fave character from the series was the fashion-conscious slaad. The idea of an extra-planar critter being so concerned about his attire was a delightful variation from the norm, and made him stand out far more than any of the others, for me.

Agreed.

He reminded me of an anime villain, who sadly, tend to be much better developed than most movie, novel, or TV show villains these days.

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Jan 2018 21:34:01
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2018 :  21:00:57  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faerun History on YouTube made a video on the History of Skullport. It's an interesting watch.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2018 :  06:40:08  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Little to comic for me.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2018 :  13:54:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Like RAS, I think Paul Kemp's writing outweighs - and even supplants - the story itelf. Thus, the story doesn' have to be rgeat for us to enjoy it. Ed Greenwood, on the other hand, I think of in quite the opposite fashion - the man is a consumatate stroyteller (hence, his world-building skills). His writing, IMHO, isn't up to par with Salvatore's or Kemp's, but he more than makes up for it with 'meat'. They all keep me coming back, no matter how much I bitch & man about stuff.

Now, Elaine Cunnigham - she's in a class by herself. Excellent writer AND excellent storyteller - how she is not more popular/famous - like J.K. Rowling famous - I'll never know. Her Evermeet novel is probably the only book I ever reread IMMEDIATELY after finishing it... it was just THAT GOOD. I think with the right material, she could create a series that would put HP to shame.

I think the Liriel story are more timely now than when they were written - I guess 'fame & fortune' is more about timing than anything else. In this post-Hunger Games, post-Divergent (and current 'Eleven' Stranger Things) social climate, the Liriel dark elf character has TONS of traction.

WELL SAID MARKUSTAY! +10 Likes. Elaine is SO awesome with her building of character and story. I'll also add that I really like Erin Evans in somewhat a similar fashion, though I think her storytelling would appeal more towards young girls (which hey... I'm not the only market).

I'll also say I agree with the stuff about Ed's novels versus his game material. He's definitely better at the game material... BUT his novels are incredibly complex. On some of them it just feels rushed, such that if he'd had more time it could have turned out better. I actually think Ed would make an excellent... how to phrase it... support author? Basically, take an author and have Ed work with them. Spread his wealth of ideas and lore. It may be too hard for him to do though (especially now). But that's hindsight, which is always 20/20 (or so we think).

I'd also say that I love Steven Schend, and he has done at least one great novel (did he do more besides Blackstaff?), but both he and Eric Boyd would fit better like Ed as "support authors". That being said, I'd sacrifice a small child to have Eric pumping out more lore. Of course, the problem is neither of them WORK for WotC, and they probably have daily work jobs like mine that are killing them slowly.

Then there's the other authors that I loved. Richard Lee Beyers, for having destroyed many things that I loved because he was forced to, is still a favorite of mine. His characters are great. I loved Mel Odom's characters as well in his novels, as I felt like he really knew the realms. Oh, and Mark Sehedestedt who wrote the novel around the eastern Lythari was pretty good. James P. Davis who wrote Shield of Weeping Ghosts and Bloodwalk was ok (I could have just been happy seeing a Durthan), but I never read Restless Shore or Circle of Skulls by him.

WHICH BRINGS US FULL CIRCLE BACK TO THE TOPIC AT HAND --- Like how I did that?

Ummmmm, go read Circle of Skulls by James P. Davis.... I haven't but I'm pretty sure it has like all kinds of updates on Skullport. No, honestly, I didn't just talk myself into a circle and end up here. I, um, meant to get here. I'm awesome like that.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 18 Jan 2018 14:04:04
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000