Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How many "undead" related things are near Narfell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2018 :  18:41:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and although I like the idea that Bane wasn't really Bane in that scene (which makes a lot of sense), we could also use the fact that there are now TWO Banes - FR's, and Core.

FR's Bane may just be Xvim still posing as his father (although as of 5e, I think he would just be Xvim again), whereas 'Core Bane' would be the real deal, come back from the planes*. Thus, maybe that was just Xvim, who would be less powerful than the original, but he wouldn't want anyone to know that, so we have the situation we see in the novel.

*You can use whatever you want to explain this. I personally say that 'The Bane' is an archtype, and that a native Torillian just became Toril's 'Bane'. However, if you prefer a more FRcentric version (like the original canon), you could just as easily say that he became multispheric (spread to other worlds) before the ToT, and just never bothered coming back because Xvim was handling his business. Then he didn't like the way Xvim was doing things (like that deal with Szass Tam), and so he sent an aspect back to Toril, after the Sundering, once he was granted permission to do so. And during his absence from Realmspace, his portfolios and attitudes shifted a bit, which is why the current (4e/5e) Bane is a bit different than our past Bane.

My bad abut the Death/Dark moon. Still, it works even better that way, with my conjecture above - that somehow Selūne/Mystra represent 'life', and Shar represents 'death', but in a more primal 'circle of life' kind of way (so Shar is really entropy... which she is). Positive energy and Negative energy by themselves are not conducive to a nurturing environment, but a mix of the two is perfect (thus, Mystra becomes that 'mix').

Doesn't Faerūn mean 'Cradle of Life'?

Its really more of a Yin/Yang kind of thing, then a western life/death thing. Creation and destruction - the two aspects of Shiva.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Jan 2018 19:03:22
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2443 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2018 :  19:58:00  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, Faerūn means "The One Land". Abeir-Toril is what means "Cradle of Life".

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000