Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Golden-eyed fey?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Khaelieth
Learned Scribe

103 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  12:23:55  Show Profile  Visit Khaelieth's Homepage Send Khaelieth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I remember reading about a plot hook where a fey, disguised as a golden-eyed child, kidnaps children and takes them to the Feywild. Does anyone remember any other details, or is my memory messing with me?

Alternatively, any suggestions for the fey in question? I thought it was a Gray Jester, but it doesn't quite fit.

Also known on other forums as ChazSexington, Kusghuul, and Claudius.

Edited by - Khaelieth on 20 Dec 2017 12:24:35

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  13:30:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Appearances for fey are often variable... For a lot of fey, their appearance is dictated by whim. That applies to real world legends of the fae and a lot of D&D fey, as well.

And children being kidnapped by faeries is an old, real-world belief. I read recently that the so-called "changelings" may have been autistic children; medieval folk didn't understand what was going on, so they found a supernatural explanation.

Now, none of that says that there isn't a plot hook as you describe... I don't recognize it from any game material I've read, but if that is a plot hook, it's not a very original one.

Now, spinning a plot hook out of the idea, and trying to add something a bit more original to it...

So maybe a community has recently become plagued by fey, for no readily apparent reason. It's all the typical stuff -- small objects moved or missing, larger objects broken, curdled milk, animals acting weirdly, and of course hearing and seeing fey, who always disappear when approached.

And then children start to disappear...

Obviously, the townsfolk are going to be blaming the fey, and will do something like hire a convenient band of passing murder hobos adventurers to head off into the woods to investigate, and to find the lost kids.

But the reality is that all of the magical effects are the minor magics of a wizard who has kept his Art usage under wraps -- no one knows the person is a wizard. The bad guy might be entirely unknown in the town; he's sneaking about, invisible, causing his problems. Or it could be a newcomer, posing as a merchant, farmer, or other form of common worker. Or the bad guy has lived in town all their life, and has only recently started his fey campaign.

The supernatural effects are a lot of mage hand effects, charm spells, cantrips, and illusions. The children are being charmed during the day, and are leaving their homes at night, going to meet their new wizard friend -- who is passing them right along to slavers. Or cultists, if you want to include sacrifice as an angle.

And for real fun, the bad guy goes out of his way to set things up so that even if someone figures out it's a local and not fey, the blame falls on someone else.

Oh, and obviously, the bad guy could be a woman.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Dec 2017 13:58:27
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2017 :  08:16:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its sounds like something I may have read in Dragon magazine - it sounds vaguely familiar.

Personally, if it has Golden Eyes, I'd make it a Malaugrym posing as a fey/child.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2017 :  20:08:09  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Its sounds like something I may have read in Dragon magazine - it sounds vaguely familiar.

Personally, if it has Golden Eyes, I'd make it a Malaugrym posing as a fey/child.

Was about to write the same thing about the Malaugrym
Go to Top of Page

Khaelieth
Learned Scribe

103 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2017 :  22:43:58  Show Profile  Visit Khaelieth's Homepage Send Khaelieth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Now, none of that says that there isn't a plot hook as you describe... I don't recognize it from any game material I've read, but if that is a plot hook, it's not a very original one.

Now, spinning a plot hook out of the idea, and trying to add something a bit more original to it...

Tried and tested :) Most original angle is it's in Zhentil Keep during the siege. Might be kidnapping them out of the goodness of its heart ;)

quote:

Good idea! Cheers :)

Go to Top of Page

nblanton
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2018 :  05:43:54  Show Profile Send nblanton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ashemmi, Sememmon's apprentice and lover is stated to have flaxen hair and golden eyes. She's an evil elf instead of a fey, but its another possibility that has lots of loose ends that can be used.
Go to Top of Page

Khaelieth
Learned Scribe

103 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2018 :  10:17:24  Show Profile  Visit Khaelieth's Homepage Send Khaelieth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nblanton

Ashemmi, Sememmon's apprentice and lover is stated to have flaxen hair and golden eyes. She's an evil elf instead of a fey, but its another possibility that has lots of loose ends that can be used.

Cheers :)

I've just opted for a homebrew Fey. One of the adventurers met the child yesterday and was terrified by this overly curious child who somehow made music appear which caused her to start dancing (Otto's Irresistible Dance), then disappeared around an alley.

Go to Top of Page

BrennonGoldeye
Learned Scribe

105 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2018 :  20:04:27  Show Profile Send BrennonGoldeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey! We arent all Shapeshifting killers! Most of the time...

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  22:31:52  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The golden-eyed child kidnapping children plot hook you refer to is from Critical Role. It happened before the cast started streaming their games, so the exact details aren't known, but I believe there's some wiki material that outlines the plot points. Doesn't matter so much what creature the child is, stat it up however best fits your game.

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000