Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shoonach Mythal
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2017 :  17:19:26  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've decided to write up another mythal, this time the one in Shoonach, based of the handful of effects note about it in the 2nd Ed. Empires of the Shining Sea.

Has anyone already done so? If so I'd love to see what you've done.

I am slightly expanding the magical prohibition so it also boosts necromantic spells. Also I am adding a major mythal power which enhances undead. These both seem obvious.

The third major mythal power will be similar to the planar interdicts powers of the myth drannor mythal, making access via teleportation or planar access more difficult; I plan on excluding shadow-walking from this though... maybe.

This leaves a lot of room to play around, except I don't think other powers should be big (or constant) or else they would have been noted in the sourcebook.

Does anyone have thoughts about other effects this necromantic mythal might have? Would love to hear thoughts on it.

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2017 :  20:24:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ya know, this is SO weird. I hadn't even known about the mythal in Shoonach until yesterday (I probably read it a LONG time ago, before I was an FR 'rabib fanboi', and just never made a mental note of it). I was even going to start a thread about it, to see if anyone knew anything, but after a little searching, i could see others had run into a blank wall already.

I swear... just yesterday. So friggin ' weird. I sometimes think we are all hooked into some sort of mental 'Nerdnet'.

It seems the only real info comes from the novel, War in Tethyr, which I haven't read.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2017 :  21:04:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

It seems the only real info comes from the novel, War in Tethyr, which I haven't read.

That's one of the few FR books I was not able to complete, once I started it... It hadn't grabbed me by page 100, so I set it to the side and never came back to it.

...That was long enough ago that I should give it a second shot. I didn't care for the Lord of the Rings the first attempt, either, but really enjoyed it 10ish years later.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2017 :  21:22:04  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fabulous. Its been probably 20 years since I've read that so I should go back and check as well.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  18:45:27  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I swear... just yesterday. So friggin ' weird. I sometimes think we are all hooked into some sort of mental 'Nerdnet'.

It's called the Weave...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic