Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Giving the Zhents some more depth
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1841 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2017 :  08:44:19  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Her entire body was destroyed, as was her entire undead army. No wards. No minions. No contingencies. Just a powerful spirit locked away in a phylactery waiting for a body to occupy. Nothing says that body cannot already be magically bound when she gets a hold of it.

As for Manshoon. Just read about Manshoon and the Knights in some of THOs posts. Manshoon is Eds NPC, and his players learned to fear him. Players that laughed and messed around and made jokes about everything they ran into from dragons to devils to kings and yes, even liches learned to fear Manshoon. I can't for the life of me imagine any good reason why this should not be the case with EVERY player who comes up against him in the Realms in every DMs campaign, except bad DMs with too little imagination to use him correctly.

This is one of Candlekeeps biggest strengths if you ask me - so many ideas you can mine from the resident crazy scribes :) - like the undead Darth Vader Manshoon mentioned above. My brain could not conceive that on psychedelics.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15675 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2017 :  23:57:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Basically, his spirit has become fused with his armor (its a Spellplague thing). Nothing canon, of course, but just something for folks to tinker with. You could even possibly spin him as something akin to a sentient Helmed Horror (although I like the idea that if someone was stupid enough to open the visor, they'd see a skeleton inside, with glowing eyes...).

Plus, we had so many Manshoons (Minishoons?) running around at one point, this version could easily exist alongside others.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Dec 2017 06:46:54
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1841 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2017 :  04:02:07  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. I think of all the Manshoons we see following the Clone Wars (more StarWars connection :P - I see what you did there) are Minishoons, including Zhentshoon, and Vampshoon from the novels. After Cloak and Dagger we never see or hear anything about Manshoon Prime again - the oldest, wisest, and most powerful Manshoon. He is the Manshoon behind the curtain controlling the great-and-powerful Oz, or whoever.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31232 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2017 :  04:31:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed once said this:

quote:
I prefer to think the REAL Manshoon is in hiding somewhere, watching his “lesser selves” operating, and awaiting his chance to strike at Fzoul at the same time as one of his clones does. It’s not just a matter of revenge, it’s a matter of Fzoul’s perversion of the Zhentarim into something less subtle and less effective than Manshoon intended it to be, more tied to the gods and less to subtly ruling and influencing Faerun through an ever-stronger brotherhood of mages (something Mystra would of course have supported, once Manshoon got past the “culling the magelings” stage).

And

quote:
And yes, I’d certainly say that one of the early Manshoons (even when there “was only one,” his ‘cloning around’ was such that he’d died several times over, so none of those we know now are even close to the original) is still lurking, and working with certain powerful Zhentarim wizards to bring about Fzoul’s eventual downfall (and most of the rest of the priests, so the wizards end up ‘on top’ again), only VERY subtly this time, so that once Fzoul and his fellow priests notice something is wrong, the slow process will have reached the ‘inevitable’ stage. We’ll all just have to see if they ever succeed. :}

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1841 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2017 :  06:39:35  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also ascribed more of what was in Cloak and Dagger to Manshoon Prime. He's the one that shows up when the other Manshoons are killing each other to claim the prize. He's the one making bargains with the powerful wizards of Faerun, trading magic for magic and secret for secret... Hard to say how far this can be taken but its pretty far. Imagine if he treated with Halaster, his unique spells (including Stasis Clone) in exchange for Halaster's gate or energy conversion magic. Netherese magic from Larloch (like Tam did in Spellbound). Who knows what he could get from the Simbul - her battle magic and synostodweomer top the list of course.

My Manshoon Prime lives within one of the dimensional hideaways created by the Sword Heralds, which he accessed through a "great key" he traded for. He controls Darkhold, and the humanoid tribes of the Stonelands, Mash of Tun and Farsea Marshes, and factions in Cormyr, Sembia, Westgate, The Dales and around the Moonsea - all these through unwitting proxies. He has direct alliances with mages and beings of power though the Heartlands - beholders (of course), dragons, undead wizards, etc. These groups work in concert without ever knowing it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000