Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Kara-Tur Box Set vs Oriental Adventure's 1e
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2017 :  23:36:30  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm wondering which one buy, or if I have to buy the two. Is there any sort of continuity between them?

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2017 :  23:46:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
K-T is THE setting. 1e OA has very little on the setting itself. Thus, if you are lore-driven, then go for the K-T box.

I found only two things in the 1e OA (that was actually written for the GH setting - that's where Gary Gygax had originally pictured K-T going) that don't appear in the box - the name of a 'lost' province, and also a tiny bit of how/where the Shou came from, and what their names mean because of that. Its really very little, and the part about the 'red earth' is repeated elsewhere anyway - the Book of Artifacts, IIRC.

The other 98% of the book is just rules that are only useful if you are running 1e D&D. For 2e D&D, you would need the Ronin Challenge supplement and AP, which updates a bunch of OA material to 2e. 3e has nothing, other than some articles online, and a couple of mentions in the GHotR (nearly all of which appear in other KT/OA products).

EDIT:
And in hindsight/retrospect, I suppose the 'red earth' could refer to the preSundered Abeir-Toril, which would mean the Shou are not interlopers. It could be interpreted either way.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Dec 2017 23:49:45
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2017 :  00:19:50  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I only want the book for the lore on Kara-Tur. So, I guess the box set is the one to get.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2017 :  06:37:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, you'd be VERY disappointed by the 'lore' in the 1e OA book. The K-T box is chock full of goodness.

The Horde box is also another very good one - I believe it may be the first place the 'Raurin Culture' is actually named Imaskari (maybe - don't quote me on that). Both products are all over the place, lore-wise, and even self-contradictory in a few places, but there is just SO MUCH of it, its pure gold. They're both basically just huge books of plothooks (very much like the 'Old Grey Box').

EDIT:
You'd also do well to find an old copy of the Book of Artifacts - at least 2/3 the items in there have FR lore attached. Not tons of lore, mind you, but some very specific stuff you really can't find anywhere else.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Dec 2017 06:39:55
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000