Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Where to locate Cendriane
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2017 :  19:01:19  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was reading the short story Watchers at the Living Gate short story, compiled in the Untold Adventures anthology book. The story is labeled as a "Tale of the Forgotten Realms" (as the book has stories that take place in many D&D worlds). So, it sparked my curiosity.

According to the story, Cendriane, an old and ruined eladrin city, is located in both the Feywild and in the "mortal world", the mortal world of this story being Faerūn. According to the 4e Manual of the Planes, Cendriane was the site of one of the most vicious battles in the war of the drow against all other elves. So, I guess, that means is as old as the Fourth Crown War, minimum.

However, the short story doesn't give us a place to located the Faerūnian side of Cendriane, beyond saying that it was located near an orc village (the protagonist of the story is a half-orc), and that this village is located in a mountain range.

So, is there a good place to locate the ruins of Cendriane? I guess that places related to the Crown Wars will be better suited, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2017 :  00:59:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for bringing this book to my attention - I was totally unaware it existed! I have now just bought it.:)

As for your query, the Cloven Mountains seem a good bet. The area was the site of the ancient elven realm of Thearnytar and orcs and goblinoids are noted to live in those mountains.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2017 :  02:01:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never heard of it either. Let me know if its good.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2017 :  02:08:44  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has a lot of short stories. Most of them happen in the Nentir Vale, two or three in the Forgotten Realms (one of my favorites so far is Talkfolk Tales), another pair in Eberron, and another in Dark Sun.

Some are good, others are great. I recommend Talkfolk Tales and the Foundling (I haven't read the whole book, but those two are my faves so far). If you're searching some light reading to kill the time, I recommend you this book.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2017 :  23:35:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, considering I've already placed AT LEAST TWO cities just like that over in the Neverwinter (Nentir) Vale in the conversion (and at least one of those is already FR-canon... maybe two...), I sure as heck wouldn't put it near there.

My first thought was in the Silver Marches. The High Forest covered most of The North back then, so just about any small woodland nearby would work. There is a 'missing' small woodland that was up against the western portion of the Nether Mountains - its called the 'Everwood', and its on both The North map and the FRIA maps. There is also a locale called Dark Maiden's Leap nearby, which is sacred to Eilistraee, IIRC. That spot would be perfect, since that whole region has Orc settlements in the mountain ranges.

However, that region is already fairly well developed, so for my own (mapping) perspective, I think maybe south of the High Forest might be more fun, like actually IN the Southwood. There is a rough/mountainous region east of there as well, known as Luthic's Creche (in the lower Greypeak Mnts.), which is another breeding ground for Orcs. There are three other 'ruins' in the Southwood on my/Eric's High Forest map, all canon (so I guess not really 'more empty' than up north). I would say anywhere around the High Forest (The North is filled with small forests that never show up on maps) would be perfect. the Eastwood (just to east of the High forest, naturally) is another good choice, as are those other two smaller woodlands "over that way"). Correction: Just checking the map, and Eric had renamed that forest (really just a piece of the HF east of the River Delimbiyr) 'Grayshadow Woods'. Maybe I did, but I can't recall - I normally avoid using the word 'shadow' in anything. I REALLY need to publish that map - I've given Eric a year and half to respond back (his last message to me was 'let me just check it over once more'), and it really is such a waste that no-one is enjoying it. I just need to throw the 'glow' around the labels and its good to go.

Oh, and the Dark Elves weren't 'Drow' during the Fourth Crown War. Just sayin'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Dec 2017 23:38:56
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2017 :  00:24:48  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess they became drow in the aftermath of those wars, so, if we go by the "metacanon", my guess its right.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2020 :  08:14:15  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Zeromaru X,

I would think near Dead Orc Pass would work well!::

Thoughts?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

I was reading the short story Watchers at the Living Gate short story, compiled in the Untold Adventures anthology book. The story is labeled as a "Tale of the Forgotten Realms" (as the book has stories that take place in many D&D worlds). So, it sparked my curiosity.

According to the story, Cendriane, an old and ruined eladrin city, is located in both the Feywild and in the "mortal world", the mortal world of this story being Faerūn. According to the 4e Manual of the Planes, Cendriane was the site of one of the most vicious battles in the war of the drow against all other elves. So, I guess, that means is as old as the Fourth Crown War, minimum.

However, the short story doesn't give us a place to located the Faerūnian side of Cendriane, beyond saying that it was located near an orc village (the protagonist of the story is a half-orc), and that this village is located in a mountain range.

So, is there a good place to locate the ruins of Cendriane? I guess that places related to the Crown Wars will be better suited, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000