Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Secrets of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2017 :  15:10:00  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have been reading the Ed's article with the same name and at the end there are mentioned few secrets that are yet to be revealed. I am wondering if anyone have some clues about those or other secrets in the Realms.

Here is a link to the article ( http://realms.theedgreenwoodgroup.com/50fr11/ )

and quote of the end: "So it’s enough to accept that there are many mysteries, and always will be. Some of the mysteries of the Realms include what long-term plan has Ioulaum set in motion and is awaiting the culmination of; which reigning Obarskyr was an impostor, and why; which of the Chosen faked their own death and began an utterly new life—which continues, thus far—with Mystra’s private blessing; where Rowen Cormaeril went and what he got up to after the events of Death Of The Dragon; what long-term plan was hatched by one of the awakened clones of Manshoon that caused several beholder allies of the Zhentarim and a handful of powerful Zhent priests to depart the organization and go underground, where they remain; who aided Elminster behind the scenes at the end of The Herald aside from the characters shown to be onstage; and what “Great Magic of Azuth” did that god hide away at Mystra’s command, why, and what has become of it since the Spellplague loosed it into the world again."

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2017 :  15:42:03  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Khelben of course faked his death by destroying his own body and letting his kiira overwrite the personality of his replacement. Its the ultimate bluff, faking death by actually dying.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2017 :  11:46:22  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shhh! Secret cheat code ...
Instantly win any battle by pressing [Alt-X] as your opponents attack. Your party still gains experience and treasure from the battle.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2017 :  12:36:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>what “Great Magic of Azuth” did that god hide away at Mystra’s command, why, and what has become of it since the Spellplague loosed it into the world again."

This MAY have been answered since February. When did Erin release her last book. Just noting his staff was "discovered" in Abeir.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2017 :  12:46:02  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A Select Start gives you 30 Manshoon clones.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2017 :  13:05:46  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you read faiths and pantheons, azuth basically created AI

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2017 :  13:39:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A Select Start gives you 30 Manshoon clones.

Only 30? I expected something more from such a legendary spell. After all, Kohnaamy's Excellent Invocation is a powerful spell known in many lands beyond the Realms...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2017 :  14:04:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A Y A G A Select Start gives you a walking chicken hut house that you can rest in from anywhere on the map.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2017 :  16:31:17  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NOMOREROADSPLATS gives you infinite lives...Oh wait, that's Frogger.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2017 :  16:39:06  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

>>what “Great Magic of Azuth” did that god hide away at Mystra’s command, why, and what has become of it since the Spellplague loosed it into the world again."

This MAY have been answered since February. When did Erin release her last book. Just noting his staff was "discovered" in Abeir.

The Devil You Know came out the same year as Hero, which I believe was last year. It was a good read, and I remember the staff, but I am forgetting the exact details. Azuth is in the SCAG, but it doesn't give any of those historical details, at least not in his description.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2017 :  17:13:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for that great magic of Azuth's that was hidden... I'm again looking at the statue of Mystra by the Pool of Yeven (there's got to be some significance about Azuth guarding it during the Time of Troubles).

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2017 :  10:37:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect most of these longstanding "secrets" are deliberately left unanswered for the usual variety of reasons. Sometimes there are no answers anyhow, lol, the questions are just fan response to "rule of cool" handwavium and accidental oversights.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2017 :  11:38:34  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I thought that this site is dedicated to finding out hidden lore... I believe that Ed phrased those questions on purpose other than sending interested people chasing their own tail.

For the Chosen one - I am not up to date on new editions and novels but Khelben was also first on my mind but Elminster and Halaster are also a possibility (I presume Elminster will have more visible path).

For Azuth - I have found out what Dazz meant by AI and it is probably not the mentioned secret. Staff seems more like it and I haven't found almost any detail about statue of Mystra...
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2017 :  17:54:33  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Staff cannot be, because the staff was not hidden by Azuth. The Staff was stolen by servants of Cyric and Shar and used to "kill" Mystra; this is related in the Empyrean Odyssey novels. Then, it was stolen again, this time by servants of Asmodeus, who gave it to Bryseis Kakistos and the Toril Thirteen (the 13 most powerful fiend-patron warlocks of the time) to create the tiefling bloodline curse: all tieflings born in Toril after the ritual was cast—and until the Sundering, I presume—were born tied to Asmodeus regardless of their parents and bloodlines. That is why all tieflings in 4e and almost all tieflings in 5e have the same appearance and abilities: all are part of the tiefling bloodline of Asmodeus (the standard tiefling sub-race in 5e), as all are tied with the curse.

Feeling betrayed because Asmodeus basically doomed the race—it did not, but she felt that way—, Bryseis Kakistos then ordered Caisys the Vicelord (one of the Thirteen) to hide the staff in Abeir (as related in the Devil You Know).

My point is that the Staff was hidden in Abeir for circumstances different than "Mystra asked Azuth to hide it". Whatever Mystra asked to hide, it was not the Staff.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2017 :  04:23:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

The Staff cannot be, because the staff was not hidden by Azuth. The Staff was stolen by servants of Cyric and Shar and used to "kill" Mystra; this is related in the Empyrean Odyssey novels. Then, it was stolen again, this time by servants of Asmodeus, who gave it to Bryseis Kakistos and the Toril Thirteen (the 13 most powerful fiend-patron warlocks of the time) to create the tiefling bloodline curse: all tieflings born in Toril after the ritual was cast—and until the Sundering, I presume—were born tied to Asmodeus regardless of their parents and bloodlines. That is why all tieflings in 4e and almost all tieflings in 5e have the same appearance and abilities: all are part of the tiefling bloodline of Asmodeus (the standard tiefling sub-race in 5e), as all are tied with the curse.

Feeling betrayed because Asmodeus basically doomed the race—it did not, but she felt that way—, Bryseis Kakistos then ordered Caisys the Vicelord (one of the Thirteen) to hide the staff in Abeir (as related in the Devil You Know).

My point is that the Staff was hidden in Abeir for circumstances different than "Mystra asked Azuth to hide it". Whatever Mystra asked to hide, it was not the Staff.

In my Realms, after the Spellplague jarred loose a bunch of magical bindings, the Fraternity of Tharos managed to cast a ritual magic tied into the demoncysts that dot the lands of the Easting Reach to make tiefling births near a demoncyst have a chance of reflecting a demonic progenitor. All "Asmodeus spawn" were killed at birth.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2017 :  04:50:37  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that is cruel. However, is something logical as well. If a "devilish" child is born in a normal community, common sense is that this child will die unless is lucky.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2017 :  13:50:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

In my Realms, after the Spellplague jarred loose a bunch of magical bindings, the Fraternity of Tharos managed to cast a ritual magic tied into the demoncysts that dot the lands of the Easting Reach to make tiefling births near a demoncyst have a chance of reflecting a demonic progenitor. All "Asmodeus spawn" were killed at birth.

-- George Krashos

In a similar but different way, there were some exiled Thayans who started buying up these "Asmodeus spawn" at birth or even after death. The idea of figuring out the magic involved to make them "breed true" is of particular interest to the "Mulans are the best breed of humans" red wizards.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2017 :  22:58:42  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its easy, you just need a Staff of a god of magic and an magic RSE running amok in the world.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 17 Oct 2017 22:59:03
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2020 :  00:56:19  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik,

hahaha...nice. I'll let my party know so they will all bring keyboard at the next game day, video it, and email it to you if you like. ;)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Shhh! Secret cheat code ...
Instantly win any battle by pressing [Alt-X] as your opponents attack. Your party still gains experience and treasure from the battle.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2020 :  01:48:30  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cpthero, why are you essentially responding “good one!” to a joke from three years ago?

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2020 :  01:49:39  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Zeromaru X,

I can appreciate why some may believe it cruel. I am curious though: why do you feel it would be cruel to kill all Asmodeus spawn?

Best regards,

quote:

Wow, that is cruel. However, is something logical as well. If a "devilish" child is born in a normal community, common sense is that this child will die unless is lucky.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2020 :  01:52:51  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

This is the kind of stuff I loved about a pre-undead Thay, and Thay's unabashed willingness to explore magic fully. To be clear, I don't personally think that kind of thing is cool, but from a story perspective, a eugenics based approach really is some evil, Nazi sh*t to do. It makes them really "evil" [whatever that means] and a great villainous culture.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

-- George Krashos

In a similar but different way, there were some exiled Thayans who started buying up these "Asmodeus spawn" at birth or even after death. The idea of figuring out the magic involved to make them "breed true" is of particular interest to the "Mulans are the best breed of humans" red wizards.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2020 :  02:17:24  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I agree. Looking back through my copy of FRE2 Tantras, it seems that that statue is indeed something quite special. I mean, look at some of those powers, such as her spells being restored that were cast that day, gaining a permanent new level, and healing her current physical damage (not as epic as the other two of course).

The fact that Azuth appears and proclaims that they will get "Mystra's Doom" upon them if they remove that statue is a pretty big deal.

You have any thoughts on that?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

As for that great magic of Azuth's that was hidden... I'm again looking at the statue of Mystra by the Pool of Yeven (there's got to be some significance about Azuth guarding it during the Time of Troubles).

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2020 :  02:52:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's still more to that statue, I think. I wonder if it is actually a former sentient being, some servant of Mystra rendered into and left in stone form, for some reason.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2020 :  04:56:36  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Yeah, I hear you there. It seriously is odd to me that there is nothing on that. I mean, it's right at the beginning of that module, which is quite well known of course!

It's just odd that it is in Battledale too. Why there, in Yeven Pool?

What if it is meant for water based creatures to come across here underwater, and not necessarily meant for land based creatures. Azuth did say don't remove it from the water.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There's still more to that statue, I think. I wonder if it is actually a former sentient being, some servant of Mystra rendered into and left in stone form, for some reason.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000